Sign in to follow this  
Muse

Dragging mats onto unfinished items

I just got this idea from Retrograde's WurmOnlineOfficial stream, so he should take the credit for it, and probably will.

Retro's mouse was moving so fast when he was creating the mushroom planter box on the ground, and his mouse was so silent it actually looked like he was dragging the materials (in this case beams) on to the unfinished planter box (it was like lightning believe me.)

I thought wow - what if we could drag materials onto an item we were creating? - we could drag planks onto an unfinished large cart to continue it, drag bricks onto an unfinished house wall to continue building it,  drag pegs onto an incomplete knarr to continue adding to it etc etc.

You might be thinking well, what's wrong with using the crafting interface (which is lovely btw), or double clicking to activate the material and then right clicking the unfinished item and selecting Continue Item, or pressing a bound key as many do now?

I use a laptop touch pad, and I am mindful of what a relief it is that we can just drag items onto bulk containers to fill them - what a great asset and improvement to Quality of Life! - so I would love to be able to drag a stack of mats onto unfinished items to continue them. 

The action timers would stay in place of course, and you could only queue the same amount of actions/mats, but the amount of wear on mouse or touch pad is bound to improve.

I also think it would be quite satisfying to physically 'put' the materials down onto the item being constructed (yeh, weird I know).

I think the only downside would be mis-clicking and accidentally completing your knarr in the wrong peg wood type, but that isn't likely to happen is it? ...often?

Just an idea.

• Like 4

I like your idea as something that could be turned on or off. 

That way, for those who prefer the select & craft, it's still available.

• Like 2

I agree if it was it able to be an option it would be preferred by some players and beneficial to those playing on touch interfaces. 

• Like 2

I would like it as an extra option.

Dragging a material onto an unfinished thing might even just pop up the crafting interface itself, prefilled with the item and the material, so you just have to hit the big button. That'd also reduce mistakes and integrate nicely with what we already have.

• Like 2

I like the idea of this a lot.  It would make building a much more enjoyable thing.  And almost intuitive.   

it would have to be switchable.  I too often drop things in the wrong places - even more so when on my trackpad.   

• Like 1