Sign in to follow this  
nygen

Account Sales : Set an end date

They already set an end date for rmt from announcing their intention to launch on steam in summer 2020 so you have untill june:) 

1 minute ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

If someone quit because they can't make money in the game, no love lost. Perhaps they should grind up their character themselves, like every character in the market has?

Oh I definitely agree; free shield skillgain on pigs, exploitation of the forage/botanise skilltick bug, definitely use the original Nahjo favour gain exploit, oh and while we're at it, lets use wrappable pelts so we can easily stockpile.  Oh wait...

A lot of "loopholes" have closed over the years. You likely don't remember when enchant difficulty was raised to combat enchant inflation, or the time before guranteed shatters.

4 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

As for actual suggestion, i'm on the fence about it. People will panic sale and quit the game if they think they won't be able to in the future (check out what happened to the WTS forums after the steam announcement if you don't believe me), Which will almost guarantee a reduced player count, with some of the remaining players happy that they picked up a good account for pennies, be hilarious if someone bought a 99+ everything account for cheap after the announcement and used it to sell items on the market, ey?

Really sorry to say this, but that ship has sailed.

Literally, we had that "fire sale" when WU came out.  Go look at the forum posts from around then.

5 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

It's a pretty funny thing to see, i get people telling me market is dead everything has no value etc, but i've never got a shortage of people messaging me about buying stuff

Serious question here; how many of those sales are not linked to an endgame monopoly?  As in, not linked to scale, drake, bloods, HotA or moon metals?  (the former 4 being exploited heavily by players only out for profit)

7 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

1c mailing with no limits had more of a negative impact on the mid skill seller than account reselling did, coz you can just get an imp for cheaper and faster from some guy with 99 skill on a different server instead of your neighborhood smith

If memory serves, that came in after the "fire sale" of accounts; specifically because the population had thinned so much that having a smith in local was rare.  What it did was keep trade afloat, since people no longer had anyone in local to trade with.

It set out to solve a problem you are asserting hasn't happened yet.

Just now, Etherdrifter said:

Serious question here; how many of those sales are not linked to an endgame monopoly?

I earn more from enchants than i do unique slaying, unless you consider enchants endgame monopolies too. Can't speak for exploiting hota but that gives you a random hota statue, 4kg of glimmer and 4kg of addy every 100 hours, which requires 20 minutes to cap the things, and probably a few hours running to all ends of the 16x16 chaos map to try and find the things. if you're the only one farming it, which would mean that there's no enemy kingdoms to contest you and your own kingdom is okay with you taking the entire thing home, which isn't very likely. Rifts give out much more moonmetal in total when more than 4-6 people go to them, but nobody talks about farming them ey

1 minute ago, Etherdrifter said:

Oh I definitely agree; free shield skillgain on pigs, exploitation of the forage/botanise skilltick bug, definitely use the original Nahjo favour gain exploit, oh and while we're at it, lets use wrappable pelts so we can easily stockpile.  Oh wait...

A lot of "loopholes" have closed over the years. You likely don't remember when enchant difficulty was raised to combat enchant inflation, or the time before guranteed shatters.

Neither forage nor botanizing are particularly useful skills, with the favor recharge rates you can grind a nahjo to 70/90/99/whatever using 2s alt links cheaper than what it would be with saccing pre-1.3. If you salt a mountain lion pelt it becomes 0.1 weight and you can store them super easy. I'm aware of how easy enchants used to be, even easier if you champed up for instant super-channeling too. Someone grinding an account and selling it is a slightly different topic to someone exploiting a bug and not reporting it or rolf deciding something needs to be changed because someone sent him a strongly worded letter though. Just because dumb decisions were made in the past doesn't mean you have to continue making dumb decisions to keep up appearances.

5 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Really sorry to say this, but that ship has sailed.

Literally, we had that "fire sale" when WU came out.  Go look at the forum posts from around then.

And it happened again with the steam announcement, and it will happen yet again if you announce accounts won't be allowed to be sold anymore. the ship can re-dock and sail again as many times as it likes, taking more people each time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

I disagree here; nothing earned goes to the devs

Premium payments do.  When owners of accounts stop playing, Wurm makes no more money off them from premium.  When owners of purchased accounts pay premium, it is income for Wurm.

Edited by Galatyn

4 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

I earn more from enchants than i do unique slaying, unless you consider enchants endgame monopolies too.

Calculating the recent drake and scale prices I came to suspect that I am earning if not more from forage/botanize coin finds than the average unique hunter from that activity then at least in the same order of magnitude.

• Like 1

an end of account sales woulda been great at minimum 10 years ago, but there doesn't need to be a ban of them because theres no one left to buy them and its pretty low on the list of things wrong

I can readily buy a high end account on any MMO.   Wurm is not the least bit unique in this.  

Steam account sales is a healthy business.  I wonder what will happen when certain people realize a single Wurm account can potentially sale for 4-5x as much as a loaded steam account with hundreds of games.  Low capital investment.

Account sale bans are just to keep it out of polite conversation.  It does nothing to stop the practice in any real way - but does add to overhead for the developers in the policing.  

It would seem out of place the THIS is the true villain in this story - considering other highly successful, highly populated sandbox MMOs not only allow the practice, but also FACILITATE it!

I have zero vested interest in account sales - but I have a fellowship interest in adjusting the curve from day one players to high end crafters and alt boxers squeezing out volumes of goods.  I do not believe this is a hill to die on - there are more issues to address that would actually have a tangible effect.

Account sales will end when there is no game to play - no matter what the publishers or players want to happen in the meantime.  

• Like 2