Sign in to follow this  
riceri

Have Wurm registered for Stadia yet?

Hi

Have Wurm registered for Stadia at https://stadia.dev/ yet?

It would be great to have that Wurm on that platform. No more settings for the user to have to set to get the best performance. And i think Wurm would be a great game with a controller.

Btw, my username on Stadia is same as in Wurm, Greyhound. If someone wants to add me :)

Edited by riceri

Wurm's interface is absolutely not designed with a controller in mind; there's basically no way to get that to work.

I don't really anticipate success for Stadia in general, but Wurm Online is one of the few games I can see it working on, input method aside, since the bit of extra latency wouldn't really matter a whole lot.

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

Wurm's interface is absolutely not designed with a controller in mind; there's basically no way to get that to work.

I don't really anticipate success for Stadia in general, but Wurm Online is one of the few games I can see it working on, input method aside, since the bit of extra latency wouldn't really matter a whole lot.

Have you tested Stadia? I notice no inputlag at all, my biggest problem is that there is no way you can play a FPS shooter with a controller :)

The shooters on Stadia i play on my PC with mouse and keyboard, i notice no lags. I would not trust any of the youtubers who did reviews almost before anyone had got there hands on Stadia. Almost all of those was negative to get views.

I think Wurms interface could be redone for a controller, look at RDR2 a mess on the computer but works very nice on the controller even tho there is a lot of actions.

2 minutes ago, Madnath said:

is this advanced advertising

I don't understand, this would be a way for me to play on very high settings in wurm without having to get a new computer. :)

Right, you just need to... buy a Chromecast? And a subscription?

Anyway, the UI would have to be completely redesigned for something like this to be possible, and I'm sure there are a billion other considerations I'm not even thinking of, like how you can't exactly IP-ban people when they're not playing from their own IPs.

1 minute ago, Ostentatio said:

Right, you just need to... buy a Chromecast? And a subscription?

Anyway, the UI would have to be completely redesigned for something like this to be possible, and I'm sure there are a billion other considerations I'm not even thinking of, like how you can't exactly IP-ban people when they're not playing from their own IPs.

If you want more then 1080 in resolution then yes you need to pay. If you only want to play on your phone or laptop then you don't need a chromecast. But if you want to play with a controller on the TV then you need a chromecast ultra for now. Don't know if it will work with a normal chromecast later on. Atm we who have access to Stadia have access to a beta service that are going to evolve a lot before it is released as planed i think.

Well i guess you can leave the UI as is and only say you can play it on your computer. As for IP-banning, that can be a problem but they are hell easy to get around already today. I have access to around 7-8 IPs without even paying for a VPN. If i put some effort into it i guess i can accss 12 more IPs without paying.

I don't think this will happen ever since the goal atm is Steam as far as i know. But i like to put it out there for now. So people think about it :)

Doubt this will ever be a thing; as stated before the UI and general gameplay is not controller friendly. Moving around is about the only thing that would work well. The early reviews weren't just YouTubers trying to make negative press either, a lot of it was based around the horrid experience most backers had. Stadia is a niche product, killed by its pricing model. Ironic.

Actually...

Start->Options->Visible (allows you to toggle what is seen), using an object with an inventory opens it (select options then apply), pressing start when a window is open closes it quickly.

Select acting as a tab key betwee open "windows" such as a chest inventory and your own.

It could be run on a controller, and while it may be a bit clunky, it's a most a free gain.

If wurm moved more towards radial menus, then likedly it would do better on controller (since most modern games use joypads)

Edited by Etherdrifter

I so am not for stadia for wurm as screw that stadia isnt worth any kind of investment at this point or even in the future unless they pull a miracle out of their behinds and solve the input lag a lot of people are experiencing and make their network of servers way broader and even then still ehh dont see why really rather devs work on a proper client that can you know deliver a steady good frame rate for people on mid tier machines while looking great

But setting that aside wurm works on certain controllers really well actually with some tinkering on your end

Steam controller: minimal tinkering
Xbox one/ps4 controller: depending on the program you use minimal to decent amount of tinkering required

But playing wurm on a controller heck even a touch interface is doable for every day pve content i tend to do this from time to time cast wurm to my tv(via steam or chromecast+chrome remote desktop) hook up my controller if using steam controller load wurm profile i have created beforehand or xbox one/ps4 controller start up rewasd
In wurm load corresponding keybind profile file and problem solved i can do most things i want to do in wurm from going hunting to crafting to mindless tasks to talking sure its not as simple as a mouse and keyboard but its doable without any real difficult tasks

Stadia is a joke. The false advertising alone has made me stay hands off from that thing.

6 hours ago, wipeout said:

I so am not for stadia for wurm as screw that stadia isnt worth any kind of investment at this point or even in the future unless they pull a miracle out of their behinds and solve the input lag a lot of people are experiencing and make their network of servers way broader and even then still ehh dont see why really rather devs work on a proper client that can you know deliver a steady good frame rate for people on mid tier machines while looking great

Have you tested Stadia? Sure i get input lag when i play on my 3G on my phone. But 4G works ok for me. No input lag at all when on my home wifi or cable. The complains on input lag feels like when people complain on wurm but never played it as it looks to hard from the screenshots. And to be honest no service works flawless for everyone. 

5 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Stadia is a joke. The false advertising alone has made me stay hands off from that thing.

Then it is a good joke for me. :) In short it works very well for me, i don't have to buy a new computer to play games at very high settings. I have no input lag, no framedrops. I move my gaming session from my TV to my computer with a few clicks. With a keypress i save the last 30 sec of gameplay in a movie. And if we start counting on how much money i save on not having to buy new hardware all the time. :) Please tell me what is a joke to you when you tested it? 

I know this feels like an ad when i am defending Stadia, but i hate people who throw trash on stuff they have not even tested.

People here really need to understand that cloud is not the ultimate problem solver as it is advertised by some players and by some devs.

You can't just say the word CLOUD and all your things will magically work in the cloud, you need to keep cloud in mind when developing an application, if you didn't have the cloud in mind when developing then cloud is just a perfect way to waste a lot money without getting much benefits from it.

Of course if we look at netflix, google, amazon and so on cloud has huge potential but this potential doesn't come from nothing, if cloud would be that easy everything would already be in the cloud, yet most of the applications especially older ones still run outside of the cloud even in 2019. Cloud computing first became a thing around 1993-1996, so if it would be that ultimate game changer everything would be using it now more than 20 years later. Cloud is a big part of our daily life as we are mostly using the services which really profit from the cloud but this doesn't mean it is smart to put everything we see on the cloud.

From the current scientific research the state of the art is that an application should only be put in the cloud for the following 3 major reaons:

• Demand for a service varies with time (which means you want to cover peak loads once or twice a day for example)
  • Demand is unknown in advance (you are a startup and you have no idea if your application will be used by 10 people or by 10 million people)
  • Batch analytics (You are analysing something and you need like 1000 instances for 1 hour instead of 1 instance for 1000 hours)
Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, riceri said:

but i hate people who throw trash on stuff they have not even tested.

Others have tested it for us though. (TL;DW: It's quite significant even on Google Fiber. Not dealbreakingly terrible but something to behold.)

Besides, the pricing model is horrible just on paper, even worse than Wurm's, for what it's worth. Their debut catalogue is laughable even after they doubled it because of feedback. And the launch was riddled with way more problems than just people trying to use it with too little bandwidth. The "no service works perfectly for everyone" defense doesn't make a lick of sense on any level.

It's a bad idea with a terrible execution so far, and we're all sitting back here watching the dumpsterfire while you're mad that we won't stick our faces into it to confirm that it is, in fact, scorching hot and melting off said face.

• Like 1

The biggest issue with Stadia is that the countries and locales with low latency high speed internet, are the ones in which the populace can afford PC's.  Maybe starlink will change that, but I think we would be better served making a console version if radial menus are introduced. With the exception of the switch, all consoles are X-86 based. The two new xbox and ps iterations will be zen-cores based and more "computer" like than ever. 

Ok, sure you have won. Stadia sucks. I give up. Are you all happy now? Go on bash away :)

But i think you should try it someday yourself, or go to a friends who have it. As for me i will never have to buy a gaming computer again!

23 minutes ago, riceri said:

Ok, sure you have won. Stadia sucks. I give up. Are you all happy now? Go on bash away :)

But i think you should try it someday yourself, or go to a friends who have it. As for me i will never have to buy a gaming computer again!

Stadia is nothing that we ever will see in Wurm, no matter if it is the worst or best gaming cloud.

Edited by Sklo:D

1 hour ago, riceri said:

Have you tested Stadia? Sure i get input lag when i play on my 3G on my phone. But 4G works ok for me. No input lag at all when on my home wifi or cable. The complains on input lag feels like when people complain on wurm but never played it as it looks to hard from the screenshots. And to be honest no service works flawless for everyone. 

Then it is a good joke for me. :) In short it works very well for me, i don't have to buy a new computer to play games at very high settings. I have no input lag, no framedrops. I move my gaming session from my TV to my computer with a few clicks. With a keypress i save the last 30 sec of gameplay in a movie. And if we start counting on how much money i save on not having to buy new hardware all the time. :) Please tell me what is a joke to you when you tested it? 

I know this feels like an ad when i am defending Stadia, but i hate people who throw trash on stuff they have not even tested.

The nearest edge pop (Points of Presence) is in sydney now my ping is fine 20-25ms to it but actual data rate is horrible as australian infrastructure is worse then the postal service after a nuclear bomb fell on the area

Any service that runs out of sydney for new zealanders is ###### for high bandwidth applications streaming and the likes i refuse to buy a stadia but i know of a friend who has one and when we tried to set it up after he finally got his code(which he didnt get on launch day mind you) and we tried to play any of the games on there the compression was heavy the input lag was often a deal breaker
Imagine this scenario your doing a boss fight and you need precise movements and perfect timings to pull something off ya good luck doing that on stadia or you need to drop a healing thing(health pot what ever) because your low health suddenly due to a lag spike and bam death where as normally you know you would have been fine as you often are

It works for those who live in the cities where there are edge pop's within a few km of your place and the infrastructure has enough headroom to not have lag spikes but alas thats not the case for most of the world 
So yes i tested it and yes its ###### and yes it makes no sense to buy it at this point to play the games that are on it(gotta buy them again at full price even the old games) it could have been amazing but this is just not worth it

Stadia is ran by Google so chances are fairly high they'll get bored by it within a year or two and just cancel the whole thing. If it's still around in a few years and is actually growing, it might be worth a look.

9 hours ago, riceri said:

enjoy having no game library when your internet goes down for any maintenance or issues

also enjoy a limited library

• Like 1

My turnoff is paying $10 bucks a month for a service that promises 4k resolution but many games deliver at 1080p when they play better and at higher rates on consoles. Then I have to buy the games at equal or sometimes higher price than on PC. Then I need to have an internet connection all the time to play. Then the service will eat a Terabyte data cap in a couple days of hardcore playing. And finally I dont even own the games I buy.

Yeah, no. I'll rather buy a console or pc than to rent one forever.