Sign in to follow this  
Galatyn

Change uniques to use the Rift mechanic

I've played this game for many years and nothing has caused more detrimental drama in PvE than free roaming uniques.  The recently written hunting etiquette guide is helpful and will solve most problems with "ownership" for one or a few, but it doesn't really help the overall community equally partake in this game's prized feature.  Using existing Rift coding mechanics, fewer and/or weaker uniques can replace Rift mobs and after finishing a few waves, a small scrap of drake or scale can drop into phenomenal participant's inventory, along with a small chance for a single tome charge.  This would allow for scheduled community events where everyone has an equal and fair opportunity for loot. 

Edited by Galatyn
  • Like 2
  • Cat 1

problem with that and "hunting ettiquete" is we dont want you to participate on it, we can kill them with our group thing...
I say go even futher, make the drop server wide, like dragon was slain, the king is pleased everybody get rewarded with 5 days of upkeep and the blood, for drake and dragon add the hide/scale drop also server wide.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tamat said:

problem with that and "hunting ettiquete" is we dont want you to participate on it, we can kill them with our group thing...
I say go even futher, make the drop server wide, like dragon was slain, the king is pleased everybody get rewarded with 5 days of upkeep and the blood, for drake and dragon add the hide/scale drop also server wide.

I think you misread my post.  I suggested that the uniques be moved away from esoteric group control to a predictable public slaying, just like Rifts.

Don't think so.. new rules are .. sketchy and protecting certain team that forces people out of the game/or so I think/, as I mentioned already.

Also rest is still my opinion - about the current system.. as for 1:1 rift mechanic.. that is "bad":... why.. also explained.. it's broken because of the TIME at which it happens, it was discussed, or promised that there will be improvement .. and so far no such have been implemented.. if anybody's interested.. dig for the talk around capes and when/how rifts are happening and how much time they take, etc..... absolute mess that creates another drama issues for the working fellas with not that many hours to be around. In a pay to play model this should not be a thing.

I like the idea... but it should NOT BE USING THE RIFT TIMING MECHANIC.. it's proven to not work well and cause other issues and dramas to emerge.. it's in favor of the nolifers and no benefit for the casual working fellas.. at which point we're halfway in the mud where we started with current situation of unhappy customers.

I'd rather be at 1 bi-weekly event than be at 1 of 10 events because timing su cks.

I read the OP, doesn't mean my comment is offtopic or derailing from current situation/s, still covers the current and OP idea and problems around them.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Galatyn said:

I think you misread my post.  I suggested that the uniques be moved away from esoteric group control to a predictable public slaying, just like Rifts.

That precisely why rift mechanic and hunting ettiquete hit you in the face and let you outside the hunt.
I claim the unique, but is a rift so only my group and i are alowed to hunt the mobs and get enough points to get drops!, you cant even watch why? i claimed it so you need leave local!

4 minutes ago, tamat said:

That precisely why rift mechanic and hunting ettiquete hit you in the face and let you outside the hunt.
I claim the unique, but is a rift so only my group and i are alowed to hunt the mobs and get enough points to get drops!, you cant even watch why? i claimed it so you need leave local!

Rifts are not controlled by anyone.  Neither would the unique using this mechanic.  Just like the Rifts, the event would be open to all and loot would drop automatically into inventory.  There would no longer be any player ownership.  If you still don't understand what I'm saying, can we discuss this in Discord or privately? 

If it's so hard to balance and make it fair for everybody... make it so it pays off to these who work toward it... like ... for example how in black desert you get the 'disco balls' there are certain fragments you get from fishing and monster kills(in wurm could be other) and eventually combining 5x of these.. create a spawn item... which could be used at specific place and spawns several waves of creatures.... with growing difficulty, at the end the player is rewarded of certain loot... in wurm that could be .... big chance for hatchling.. bigger chance for elder dragon with scale bit reward... and various or set amount of loot(maybe a bone, hide/scale scrap/ potion/s).... and the kill itself could be solo player based or team based loot etc.... spawn rules could vary also around craftsble/castable content... some limitation to keep things rare could apply obviously.. else I don't see how more broken things could get from the current situation, by current read past 3 years of nonsense...

• Like 1

Uniques should be wild & free. Want them? Find them, hunt them, try to kill them. Do not make them into public theme park events like Rifts.

9 minutes ago, Mataleao said:

Uniques should be wild & free. Want them? Find them, hunt them, try to kill them. Do not make them into public theme park events like Rifts.

That have been very well proven to not work as intended and abused in ways.. with the given mechanics..
What other reason do you need to get, to change how this works?

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

15 minutes ago, Mataleao said:

nobody say never....

28 minutes ago, Finnn said:

That have been very well proven to not work as intended and abused in ways.. with the given mechanics..
What other reason do you need to get, to change how this works?

Just out of curiosity, when you say abused in ways, what ways do you mean? There's been cases of griefing when opposing hunting groups clash but I've not heard about any abuse beyond that 

15 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Just out of curiosity, when you say abused in ways, what ways do you mean? There's been cases of griefing when opposing hunting groups clash but I've not heard about any abuse beyond that 

Well we can't pretend Enki didn't post a new topic, please don't make clashes between hunting groups sound like minor issues (to those hunting).

• Cat 1

2 hours ago, Delacroix said:

-1. Shitty idea that penalizes people far more than the current system.

Yeah?  How so exactly?

This idea would remove player control and give everyone equal opportunity at loot at a determined time, exactly as the Rifts are today.  Most importantly, it would remove drama that destroys the community.  There would be no need for new rules, aka "etiquette guide" attempting to reduce GM intervention and drama.  

The uniques were never intended to be penned.  Some years back a mechanic was added where they would break out of donut houses.  People then discovered that they can be kited into a mine and penned by collapsing the entrance and covering with one dirt.  Technically this is cheating.  According to the game rules, "Obvious abuse of any ... method of gaining .... items that is not as intended"

This is not even a true sandbox game because of free roaming uniques.  If I pen a unique, I can have a GM make anyone in local leave even if that person is not griefing or coming near to the unique.  This has been publicly announced in Courtesy #1.  This happened to me once when I was just standing in a mine 20 tiles away from a captured unique.  One member of the slaying group, called a GM on me, bashed my mine door, starting bashing my epic portal, telling me to leave local, and while the GM did tell them to stop bashing my stuff, they did tell me to leave the area.  I was even falsely accused by the game's Public Relation's employee, Retrograde, for harassing other players.

"This is an attempt to frame being told to leave for harassing players as something related to the unique "

After Enki researched this, he did tell me that I did nothing wrong.

" In affect its true you violated no rules, and should not have to be removed form any part of the wurm world not occupied by another.  It is not a GM's desire to push anyone around,  but at times when we are dealing with a crowd we have to treat the entire crowd and not the individual to maintain sanity."

But the reputation damage was done.  Retro made his statement to all of Wurm community with a false accusation against me. 

This is the tip of the iceberg on how free-roaming uniques destroy the community in this game.  Just recently on Jackal, Klaa confronted Oblivionreaver about healing a unique the MR group was trying to kill.  Tuga curses at me when I'm in his local looking for uniques.  The P/R group was never really happy because Pristine folks wanted to keep an item from the slaying, and the group eventually disbanded because not all could agree/abide by the rules.  Odynn and Velvetsun have some resentment for some group that freed a unique from their deed and used that as justification for taking my penned unique.  I have more examples, but the point is that free-roaming uniques should be changed to provide equal opportunity to all of Wurm's community in a fun and drama-free way.

• Like 4
  • Cat 1

This has been asked for several times and would solve alot of drama.

This would open up the experience of killing a unique to more people besides slaying teams.

• Like 1