Sign in to follow this  
Morovaille

[Solved] The launcher doesn't run

Hi, I tried to run the game for the first time, but the launcher crashes with 2 windows after the splash screen. The messages are:

can't open file '' (error 2: No such file or directory)

Failed to update Java runtime. Check your internet connection and firewall settings, or try downloading the game again at https://wurmonline.com/

Characteristics:

- GPU: NVidia with proprietary drivers

- JDK: OpenJDK 1.8

Can someone help me about this? Thanks by advance!

Edited by Morovaille
Solved

Not quite sure what happened there, sounds more like a permission/directory issue to me.

I'm playing on Linux Mint.

- downloaded tar.gz from https://www.wurmonline.com/wurm-online-downloads/

- have a wurm directory in my home folder

- have launcher in wurm folder (and a link to that on my desktop)

The tar.gz comes with it's own Oracle 64-bit java runtime that also installs in the home/wurm folder as linux64.

• Like 1

Thank you for your answer! It worked when I created a "wurm" folder in my home. That's quite a weird issue: why is this mandatory, and why is there not a clearer error message?

Anyway, the launcher works now, thanks again!

On 12/10/2019 at 5:54 PM, Morovaille said:

Thank you for your answer! It worked when I created a "wurm" folder in my home. That's quite a weird issue: why is this mandatory, and why is there not a clearer error message?

Anyway, the launcher works now, thanks again!

I think that this is/was a fairly distro related issue. I installed Wurm on several OpenSuse (42.2 to 15.1), and on Siduction (Debian Sid) without issues. There must have been a permission problem on your side as Eobersig wrote.

haha, this is so sick. I have had problems with getting the WurmLauncher to run on my Gentoo desktop. I had a ~/wurm folder still didn't work, after reading here i move the WurmLauncher to that folder and then it work!! Someone needs to check the code of that program :P

Can't confirm that this is "sick". The program "WurmLauncher" is assumed to run inside a directory "wurm-launcher" where it installs the java runtime under "linux64" subdirectory, and downloads the client_live.jar (or another client of your choice, old, test, or low memory). Unpacking the tar.gz results in creation of the directory with the executable inside.

If no wurm directory is present in $HOME, the following window opens:

3c9eRlY.png?1

It does not matter where the wurm-launcher directory resides. I downloaded a copy to /var/games and started from there. It even worked fine when setting the path "export PATH=$PATH:/var/games/wurm-launcher", I then could just invoke WurmLauncher , and it worked fine.When creating an icon on desktop, one should call with absolute path.

For me it do not matter where i put the WurmLauncher, the only place where i don't get a error or it renames it self is in my ~/wurm folder.

As said, I have my WurmLauncher executable in wurm-launcher directory under $HOME, not in $HOME/wurm (or ~/wurm), and that works fine. Considering that some Unix/Linux installations may have the user disk (where /home usually resides) mounted noexec, I also tried to install under /var/games and /usr/bin . Both worked, when WurmLauncher was residing under the wurm-launcher directory in that hierarchy.

Edited by Ekcin