Sign in to follow this  
Polosc61

Possible Server Providers

Anyone have a suggestion for a server provider for an 8K map?  It is large I know, and I am looking for a provider, preferably US Based that will have the gear to handle it? If this is even the right question.

I think most people find Pingperfect works quite well. BlueFang used to have a sample server you could run around on, to try out. Citadel tends to be very "mixed" experience (some like it, others say its very poor.)

see also the HOSTING PROVIDERS subforum

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/forum/272-hosting-providers/

8K maps are really prone to issues, in both WO + WU, and 4k (indy sized) tend to still be VERY large but a lot more stable. I am not sure why anyone would need 8k, even the largest WU servers seem to find 4K to be the "sweet spot".

It is less a matter of having powerful enough hardware, and more a matter that the game database system tend to start to wig out at a certain point. Or something. WU got the "cheap" version of SQL not the more robust version that WO uses (and even WO struggles with 8k maps, which is why Xanadu is likely to be both the first and the last 8k map ever used fr Wurm).

Someone like BDew or Sklo or others can answer this better though.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

If you want great performance don't host on any game hosting provider, rent yourself a linux box and make everything yourself.

• Like 1

I know of more than 2 people who used to use Pingperfect and ended up having many issues with them, definitely not a service I would recommend. Issue is mostly because of the way they do their 'reboots' since they don't actually shut down the server properly the database ends up getting corrupted and once that happens the only real recovery option is a roll back to a previous save.

• Like 2

Are there any VM/~alternative provides with free offers to try things?
Not really trying to run anything long-term. .. but could use a test environment I guess... else I'd probably go to aws or gcp for reliable environment to run services pay per use model..

If you remember something reply or throw me a PM, or don't up to you. o7

11 hours ago, Finnn said:

Are there any VM/~alternative provides with free offers to try things?
Not really trying to run anything long-term. .. but could use a test environment I guess... else I'd probably go to aws or gcp for reliable environment to run services pay per use model..

If you remember something reply or throw me a PM, or don't up to you. o7

Google Cloud https://cloud.google.com/

You get 300$ voucher for free for one year, but this is quite expensive after the 300$ are gone and the performance might be not as good as on dedicated machines. Moving Wurm to services on AWS or Google Cloud is expensive as hell and there are a lot negative performance impacts, which you need to pay for to reduce those impacts. I strongly warn from moving any wurm server in production to cloud service providers, as this can go really wrong, you really should know what you are doing and you also should have the moeny to do it.

If you want really powerful and cheap boxes then hetzner or ovh is where you should go, but they don't offer a free trial.

I'll say it now. Don't go Pingperfect. It works until it doesn't. I rolled my eyes at everyone's advice about managed hosting and we were perfectly fine for 8 months. They migrated our server to their 'new hardware' in November, the game started lagging beyond control. Probably 10-12 support tickets later, they could not resolve the issue. I bought a dedicated server with Hetzner, took the time to learn how to set it all up. Migrated the exact same files over to Hetzner. No lag issues.

From my pre-sales discussion with Bluefang, they said you get FTP access that's all. Whether or not that's true, I cannot say, but if so you would have no live map. 

And then there's Citadel which I have heard too many bad stories about to even send them a pre-sales inquiry. 

For an 8k map you're going to need more than what a managed host can adequately provide and considering the very small price difference, I would encourage you to go dedicated as @Cuddlesand @Sklo:Dsuggested. Pingperfect screwed the pooch with their forced migration on us and basically gave us an end-game of wipe your entire map/db's and we'll start a fresh server for you. Not worth it when there was 8 months of progress on the server.

Edit: We also tried GTX Gaming with the same files and it produced the same lag. We are a 4k map. Databases were vacuumed and re-indexed. This was not a you fix it for me thing, this was a we exhausted all efforts on our side and managed hosting cannot keep up with the I/O requirements of Wurm whilst sharing your resources with other people. 

Edit 2: I will say in Pingperfect's defense, they were very quick to answer all of our tickets and the Tier 1 guy seemed to know what was going on. But it was outside of his bounds of authority to fix. The tier 2 guy which was listed as the Chief Operations Officer was the guy who basically acted like there was no issue.

Edited by Ayluin
  • Like 1

When I switched LlamaCity from a normal 2K map to a 4K map, I did an intensive search based on features versus price. I settled on a VPS from contabo  https://contabo.com/?show=vps The 2 data centers are in Germany, but I've had zero problems with the service even though I'm in the US. I could have gone dedicated server, but since the VPS has been performing just fine, I saw no need for a dedicated. They don't seem to be overselling their VPS at least not in my case.

I'm sure my package could run an 8K map easy enough which cost just a few dollars more than the game hosts I had used previously. They have many very affordable packages actually better then when I signed up. Llama City has been up since October 2015, and the current map has been up on Contabo since June of 2017. I set up auto pay through paypal and never give it a thought. You can also use Skrill if you prefer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ayluin said:

I'll say it now. Don't go Pingperfect.

We've had excellent results with Pingperfect, though only for a 4K map.  Their team is quick to respond and in the years I've been with them they've resolved every issue we ever had. 

However, if as Ayluin says, they're not as great for 8K, at least let me very strongly warn you away from Citadel Servers. They were a complete nightmare.  Many tickets took 6-10 days before we got even a response, and longer for a fix.  The staff was rude and careless, and wiped our server twice because of accidents.  They double-billed us multiple times and were very slow to respond and fix it.

Edited by Batta

Bluefang solutions really great. Never had lag issues with them. Customer service is great and fast. They even have a live chat with support. 

They give you a dashboard to switch the server on and off. You get full control on modding, and the DB files. It’s like having your own equipment imo. 

For server mod, just put in the purchase note you want the mods and they install it for you. Other than that, you do everything else.

On 12/11/2019 at 10:19 PM, Fineal said:

When I switched LlamaCity from a normal 2K map to a 4K map, I did an intensive search based on features versus price. I settled on a VPS from contabo  https://contabo.com/?show=vps The 2 data centers are in Germany, but I've had zero problems with the service even though I'm in the US. I could have gone dedicated server, but since the VPS has been performing just fine, I saw no need for a dedicated. They don't seem to be overselling their VPS at least not in my case.

I'm sure my package could run an 8K map easy enough which cost just a few dollars more than the game hosts I had used previously. They have many very affordable packages actually better then when I signed up. Llama City has been up since October 2015, and the current map has been up on Contabo since June of 2017. I set up auto pay through paypal and never give it a thought. You can also use Skrill if you prefer.

These are very cheap prices for VPS and the amount of RAM you get kudos for finding a great deal.

I bought a used server box off ebay and run our servers from home, 200 bux for 12 core and 64gb mem, one time payout

• Like 2