Sign in to follow this  
Malena

Modify the current default "naked" skin to have underwear instead of raggedy clothes

This is something that has bothered me since the very first day I started playing Wurm: The fact that you can not strip down to your "undies" but instead are forced to wear a raggedy shirt and pants. Instead, Wurm's default "naked" skin should have undergarments, just like every other MMO. For those who really like the default outfit, have that as actual clothing pieces instead that can be optionally dressed if so desired.

- I want to feel fully immersed in a roleplay sense, thus - I would naturally want to take those clothes off whenever I enter the water to go swimming - it just feels wrong to be wearing a linen outfit when swimming

- It restricts my options for customizing the look of my character because I always have to "deal with" and try to hide the raggedy outfit underneath.

- I'm guessing that the origins of the "naked linen outfit" was due to starting with a new character and it would feel weird to start off completely naked, but now with newbie characters starting out with a set of leather armor, that's not a concern and hence that default skin is not needed anymore

A super quick and rough idea of what that could be: 

undies.jpg

• Like 5

there's underwear models in the game that you occasionally get by bugging out with lots of naked people in the area and relogging

i remember the male model having super large areolas

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 3

Just now, Oblivionnreaver said:

i remember the male model having super large nipples

What what whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? The nekkid version actually EXISTS!?!?!?! Why are we being forcefully covered? WHY?

Oh... maybe it's the super large male nipples.

• Cat 1

No thanks, people in their underwear can stay at home.

Dont for a second think that that would not be abused.

Edited by Cecci
  • Like 3
  • Cat 1

I disagree.  It's traumatic enough dying over and over whilst enduring the feeling of failure and embarrassment - especially for new players - without the humiliation of re-spawning in a public place, in what appears to be modern-day underwear.

I disagree on this occasion.

• Like 3

Gotta say I disagree with this too. I can't say I ever strip my gear down to swim, that seems like a very minority circumstance to want to this for and since this is a first person game, I wouldn't see myself doing so either way.

Right now the impalong would be full of people in their underwear waiting in some cases for hours to get their armour imped and/or enchanted and frankly that would be way more immersion breaking and uncomfortable for me, not least because it would undoubtedly result in a slew of voyeuristic comments or jokes from some people, and man it's so nice to have an MMO where female characters aren't just hit on, objectified and subjected to sexist comments thinly veiled as jokes left right and centre. While I hope most players wouldn't go there given the slightest provocation, there'll always be some (and I avoid global chat to escape the casual sexism and other -isms I not infrequently encounter there when I have to open it for some reason).

So, yeah, I agree with you on so many things, but this is a hard no from me. This would actually change an aspect of the game culture that I think is important to try and preserve, and that's that the game models in this have never felt male gaze-y.

Edited by crimsonearth
  • Like 3

I first saw the underwear at Nadrojs Impalong and stated right away that I would quit if this was forced on us.

I belive I even posted a pic in Nadrojs topic back then.

Not only is it forcebly undressing people, it is also sexist to make  females wear a bra like their body are sexual objects that are to be more covered than the mans body.

The neutral undies we have now are good enough.

Shorts and a tank top maybe.

So no, just no. I will indeed leave this game if that happens.

Edited by Cecci
typo

What about having a separate set of clothes that provide that model? basic players wear the original things but if you create swimwear you wind up with that. 

• Like 9

No, please NO!  If you want to get naked, go play Rust.  Sheesh....

i dont see the need for this but lets say we implement this,  i'd rather have more options like show rags / show underwear even if its just client sided

• Like 2

i mean iv got a big pair so i dont care, can go fully naked if we have to! Its all grow not show for me lmao.

jokes aside, what bloody difference does it make if someone is wearing a swim shuit, another is in chains, third one is with the stinky rags. The game should provide numerous different options the way ppl want to look. if someone dont like looking ppl in undies? well, dont look ffs.

• Like 1

Options never hurt anyone but i think there should be option to have a different basic underwear also.

Possibly make it a jackal skin you can apply to your character and have options. 

But more important things like cloaks besides the mastery cloak should be added.

• Like 1

It seems Wurmians have spoken: it's a clear "No thanks!"

Thanks for all your feedback guys! I'm glad this suggestion forum exists to get discussion going and we can share our different viewpoints!

7 hours ago, Retrograde said:

What about having a separate set of clothes that provide that model? basic players wear the original things but if you create swimwear you wind up with that. 

I like that idea.

I like that idea - I was always quite feeling strange wearing all those rags under any pretty outfit. I see there is quite strong opposition too - I'm inclining having it possible to set in the settings like spiders as blobs.

• Like 1

Please change oakshell if you do this. Either give clothes that don’t count as armor or let oakshell replace effects of cloth armor. 

2 hours ago, LionIX said:

Please change oakshell if you do this. Either give clothes that don’t count as armor or let oakshell replace effects of cloth armor. 

oakshell takes priority over cloth and leather armor, so you can wear either of them with oakshell/thornshell

• Like 1

Ok guys,, this has been coded for years already and is not implemented.

Understand that this is a game open to all countries, religions and moral standards.

This is the most wholesome, puritan, and “safe” MMO I have ever played.   Despite that,  I have accepted this and still enjoy playing.  

Yes I would support a change to the “rags” we wear, although its my default outfit.   Unicorns are as much immersion breaking about as much as standing around in the buff handing over all my clothes so it can be improved by a few numbers.  

I find most religions who take issue with skin also take issue with worshiping false gods.  

Developers make the structure, players make the culture.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

oakshell takes priority over cloth and leather armor, so you can wear either of them with oakshell/thornshell

What's the oakshell/thornshell thing you guys are talking about? Just curious.

12 hours ago, Malena said:

What's the oakshell/thornshell thing you guys are talking about? Just curious.

Oakshell is a spell that gives you temporary magical armor. If the cast is really good it becomes Thornshell and also does damage to attackers.

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Oakshell

On 12/12/2019 at 7:23 AM, Lisimba said:

Oakshell is a spell that gives you temporary magical armor. If the cast is really good it becomes Thornshell and also does damage to attackers.

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Oakshell

Aaaahhhh I see, thanks for explaining! So I'm assuming that when this armor is cast, the wearer has some kind of different outfit on? Does anyone know where there is a picture of how that looks?

-1 for me...  I appreciate not having people running about in underwear or naked...  my kids sometimes play...  and that's part of the reason I don't play some of the other games.

I think Retrograde's idea of a cosmetic swimsuit might be good.

JS

Not trying to necro... but I found this weird graphical thing when I logged in today- the "bralet" looks intended, with the little fastening at the back - could this be on its way to implementation?

TsYEdpM.png

• Like 3