Sign in to follow this  
belacane

A simpler hitching post

I love the new hitching posts. I think they are great for deeds and the like.

However, what about an additional simpler hitching post that can be used by travelers to tie up riding animals, but is not so involved in terms of creation mats.

The current post requires a good deal of blacksmithing mats, etc., and is something that makes sense to have and create on deed.

I'd like to see a simple hitching post that a traveler / wanderer on horseback could create with only one or two mats that doesn't require so much work to make. Such posts could *poof* after a period of two weeks or so.

Edited by belacane

There are also other ways to "hitch" an animal.

One for example is simply placing a saddle on it -- but a traveler may not also have time/materials to make a saddle if they do not already have one. If they DO have a saddle, then no hitching post is even needed.

Perhaps you could "hobble" a horse by using a rope, but then be able to reclaim the rope back again when you un-hobble it (as a traveler also would have difficulty making new ropes on the fly).

Are we securing the animal from wandering, or securing it against passing people who might take it? Because those are two different mechanics.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

a branded and saddled horse cannot be taken even off deed as permissions wont allow it. 

Leading one additional creature with a cart or wagon would be useful.  

I’d like the idea of public hitching posts that others couldn't just walk up and take a creature.  Although how often that function would be used by strangers would be rare Id wager.  

Removing tamed common draft animals and livestock from fighting or drawing aggro first would be a huge improvement.   

I like the hitching post for sorting out creatures before loading in to cages, or for my temporary campsite when rounding creatures up.   Saves from making roundpole pens.  

I can fit a post, wagon, large cart and two cages in an unruned corbita.  But only in that exact order.   Not even room for a seed after that.  How much space a post fills up was surprising.   But then again, thats a lot of large things to cram in such a small boat.  

Edited by Arishok
Fixes

25 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

a branded and saddled horse cannot be taken even off deed as permissions wont allow it. 

Unless it is on a different server (adding only because I originally mentioned brands, then deleted as they too have exceptions.)

I am also thinking that, years ago, I was able to lead a branded saddled horse i found on a road, but only because it also had a bridle which apparently by overriding rope requirements, might have somehow bypassed offdeed leading requirements. That was many many years ago though and may have since been fixed, I only remember after that I never again put a bridle on any of my horses. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

10 hours ago, belacane said:

I love the new hitching posts. I think they are great for deeds and the like.

However, what about an additional simpler hitching post that can be used by travelers to tie up riding animals, but is not so involved in terms of creation mats.

The current post requires a good deal of blacksmithing mats, etc., and is something that makes sense to have and create on deed.

I'd like to see a simple hitching post that a traveler / wanderer on horseback could create with only one or two mats that doesn't require so much work to make. Such posts could *poof* after a period of two weeks or so.

Can't you just drop your tent .. and hitch your horse to it?

Simplest thing ever.. and you're kind of supposed to carry one with you.. for reasons....

I can see trolls walking around with stick/sharpened branch or w/e 1-2item creation that acts like hitching post... and hitching random wild animals.. in forests/steppe fields... why.. who the ... knows.. some people are weird... should we bother gms to go unrope all... now useless creatures, as somebody random have wasted their existence hitched there with just the 1 random person's permission to unhitch them all?

Solve that issue, and you'll have a better feature to implement.. but 1-2 item, easy to make, and usable by anyone.. creates wild space for improvisation of that ability.

6 hours ago, Arishok said:

I like the hitching post for sorting out creatures before loading in to cages, or for my temporary campsite when rounding creatures up.   Saves from making roundpole pens.  

That should be addressed with it's own separated suggestion... each creature on a cart/wagon should have individual 'unhitch' option.. IRL you do not release all wagon pullers in the wild/open area... just to run around after them and rope them...(which is considered "NORMAL" in wurm)

Also for the cages.. roping 2 or 4 creatures... you should just get an option when you right click.. -> load.. Creature1, Creature2, Creature3, or Creature4.. either with a popup or as options in the menu

There you go.. who suggestions to open if you feel like it.

And no need for a new item to create, carry around or dump constantly.. all over the place

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Ride I know.... but not even lead? I've had issued with this before, where my branded, saddled horse was left off-deed with perms set, and someone lead it away and put it on their cart, wagon...etc.

1 minute ago, belacane said:

Ride I know.... but not even lead? I've had issued with this before, where my branded, saddled horse was left off-deed with perms set, and someone lead it away and put it on their cart, wagon...etc.

You cannot lead a horse you don't have permissions to ride. The bridle may have bypassed that in an old exploit (I'd have to verify) but the branding should stop anyone from taking your horse

7 hours ago, Finnn said:

Simplest thing ever.. and you're kind of supposed to carry one with you.. for reasons....

I can see trolls walking around with stick/sharpened branch or w/e 1-2item creation that acts like hitching post... and hitching random wild animals.. in forests/steppe fields... why.. who the ... knows.. some people are weird... should we bother gms to go unrope all... now useless creatures, as somebody random have wasted their existence hitched there with just the 1 random person's permission to unhitch them all?

Solve that issue, and you'll have a better feature to implement.. but 1-2 item, easy to make, and usable by anyone.. creates wild space for improvisation of that ability.

Tents decay too fast, take time to make, and have value to me. If I'm travelling by horse and need to stop playing due to real life and may not be on for another week or so, I may lose my tent.

A simple hitching post decaying has no value to me as a player, would not be hard to make, and would ensure that my horse would not be lead away for at least a two week period.w

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

You cannot lead a horse you don't have permissions to ride. The bridle may have bypassed that in an old exploit (I'd have to verify) but the branding should stop anyone from taking your horse

Good to know. I guess I'll test it and find out, and walk home across the server if my horse indeed is taken.

14 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Are we securing the animal from wandering, or securing it against passing people who might take it? Because those are two different mechanics.

Passing people who might take it. I haven't had much luck with branding and saddling. I've had horses taken that way.

On 12/5/2019 at 6:30 PM, Finnn said:

How do you hitch them to a tent?