Sign in to follow this  
Thalius

Re-work the way mortar is made.

I'd simply like to suggest a simplified, more realistic way of making mortar.

Mortar as it is made now is just about as hard to make as chiseling out a brick. It is a HUGE time sink for an unrealistic mechanic, especially for those who like to build.  I know, there is a lot in Wurm that is not realistic.  Since when did we worry about all things being realistic?  I get it.  It would be a huge qol improvement though, for those who like to build.  Sure, mortar would be less valuable on the market because it would be easier to produce, but I'm not concerned with propping up the market at the expense of player discomfort and frustration for those unwilling to spend so much time making something that should be more simple.

Here is the suggested change:

I should be able to dig and add clay to a barrel or similar container and then activate a pile of sand and mix with the clay to make a barrel (or other container) of mortar. I then place mortar in a small barrel or other container in my inventory, and as I build, the needed amount of mortar is removed from the container.

Very simple, and would be a huge improvement in the enjoyment level of the building process.

Humbly submitted,
~TH~

(Removed the suggestion to possibly make Natural Substances the skill used to determine mortar quality.  Point was made in private conversation that players have worked masonry skill high in order to make high ql mortar.  Changing the required skill would be unfair at this point.)

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 2

Market, what a lame excuse to not implement stuff. Those who are here to only profit IRL currency, will oppose anything which hurts their cash flow.

I am all in for this, would fasten things tremendously in PvP and in PvE.

Poor excuse for that masonry skill being the one that gives the QL since players have grinded that skill? Like there isn't actual use of that anyways, like building bigger bridges/buildings and making those better QL. People are too afraid of changes.

I like the idea... but I don't see it happening.

• Like 1

Having Just undertaken a bit of a building project and now cannot stand the word or sight or mortar  i can see this as an improvement, but alas i do not think it will happen either

33 minutes ago, Josuhacalvert said:

Having Just undertaken a bit of a building project and now cannot stand the word or sight or mortar  i can see this as an improvement, but alas i do not think it will happen either

It gets better as your skills improve, Joshuhacalvert, but even highly skilled players still hate making mortar.

It is rough early on till you build masonry skills, but it gets a bit more tolerable.  As a player that has masonry skills in the high 70's, making mortar has nearly a 100% success rate and it is faster, but even with high skills it is still a pain that feels unnecessarily aggravating.  I have done it enough to say that even now it still feels like a chore.  Masonry building in general would be much more enjoyable if making mortar was not such a burden on larger projects.  I'd not mind it so much if it were something that should be more complicated, but mixing sand and clay together to make mortar to hold bricks together for a building should be simpler to produce in mass, in my opinion.

yeah mortar is umm, a key component of the economy because some of us loathe making it.
I've always bought mine. i refuse to make mortar or pottery bricks.
On the other hand stone bricks are no problem, just load the shards into rafts and drag drop.

As much as i'd love for it to be easier to make mortar, the economy needs it to be what it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yldrania said:

I like the idea... but I don't see it happening.

I agree, OP makes it too simple.. as the idea goes it's ignoring any work that currently have to happen and you just hold 'pile' of sand and clay.. sand's 20kg.. clay is 2kg per action.. 

If mortar making is slow for you @OP.. you're doing it wrong.

It's not a fun task.. but which grind in wurm is, you do it to get what you want, it's a trade off.

36 minutes ago, Steveleeb said:

yeah mortar is umm, a key component of the economy because some of us loathe making it.
On the other hand stone bricks are no problem, just load the shards into rafts and drag drop.

As much as i'd love for it to be easier to make mortar, the economy needs it to be what it is.

Also agree.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Steveleeb said:

Honestly, this mentality is to me one of the reasons that so many players early on get fed up with the game.  Some people like keeping some things hard because they can make coin.  Meanwhile those that can't afford to buy it, and don't want to take the time to do it, find something else to go be a part of. Aka: find another game.

Many things in Wurm should be difficult and time consuming. I do not feel this should be one of them.

Is this suggestion to simply have the mortar make as much as possible when using large combined stacks? 

i.e. 60kgs of sand + 60kgs of clay = 120kg lump of mortar? 

I never felt making mortar so terrible, stone bricks are much more click-n-drag.

Larger lumps? Maybe if the max amount is tied to body strength. You need to stir them together anyway until someone invents concrete-mixer.

+1 not only for this, but a whole ton of other qol things that dont get improved because of the market

c'mon all you need is higher ql woa lump.. and combined quantities of the two... not hard when you have the skill.. like anything other in the game.

It is boring as it takes ages to make 1000s of actions... but also worths anything because of that, we could eliminate hot iron and tempering tomorrow because it's so annoying also or get rid of bad rolls on everything because they waste RL time and irritate players.

since when making mortar is hard? combine bunch of sand, combine bunch of clay, open craft window and spam. it is as good as it will even be and i hope it stays this way. OP suggestion of QOL inprovement would actually be a QOL downgrade needing some barrels to fill, crafting in a barrel, using a barrel, transporting a barrel, being unable to craft more in the same barrel as the barrel already have some mortar, so the clay cant be added.. Bollocks. -1

Edited by Skatyna

making mortar is so easy and afkable i dont really see the point, its the easiest of all the bulks to make while you watch tv or w/e, just gotta watch out for hitting inventory limit? making bricks is the part that sucks lol. 

1 hour ago, Thalius said:

Some people like keeping some things hard because they can make coin. 

ur aware players aren't invited to rolfs house to discuss changing the game based on the market right

Statements such as these can cause issues because it's not always about the ability to make money, but a reflection of what that means. 

Essentially the market exists based off things being rare to make, needing skill, or consuming time. Making mortar this fast would eliminate the consuming time factor and thus make production of mortar essentially a zero sum situation. 

We're pretty happy with where bulk materials are in terms of generation, in both creation and use so we won't be taking any action on this suggestion. Not due to just marketplace factors but in time consumption and work/reward factor as well.

• Like 2

Medieval mortar was made out of lime baked in a kiln to create quicklime.

Quicklime was then mixed with sand and water to create mortar.

I saw a picture of a wooden device with a wheel and handle that could be turned to mix the ingredients, create the chemical reaction needed to make the mortar and be able to do so in large quantities.

If we were to elaborate on this idea in Wurm Online it could get rather interesting I think.

This is more historically accurate and I like the idea of historically accurate / simulation in a game such as the Wurm Online sandbox so long as it makes the game more fun and interesting without detracting from what devs want too.

Edited by Neville

It is kind of automation though... and if we are about to have a TOOL to mix it.. OR have it done without a tool... ###### the tool... I'd rather not improve and repair another thing for this : /

Edited by Finnn

11 minutes ago, Finnn said:

It is kind of automation though... and if we are about to have a TOOL to mix it.. OR have it done without a tool... ###### the tool... I'd rather not improve and repair another thing for this : /

Without tool could still work.