Sign in to follow this  
Jadegeier

Where the hell are... things?

I agree with Milkdrop. It is simple. If you want equal chances to recruit people from every of the world then you have to consider peoples with adblocker plugins.

We in germany have a saying: "über den Tellerrand schauen" / looking over the plate edge. Finnn, so globalization has also to do with looking over the your breakfast plate edge and realise that not all people can search like you, dont have adblocker plugins and only use the right validation software.

Milkdrop +1
Jadegeier +1

And where the hell are my write capabilities...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eviloknievel said:

We in germany have a saying: "über den Tellerrand schauen" / looking over the plate edge.my write capabilities...

Good saying; only fools ignore it.

It literally characterises the current feeling on the net.

Anyone arguing against it would have a hard time being taken seriously (especially without peer reviewed papers).

• Like 1

guys.. browsers comes with no adblock on them.. if you chose to add something you have little knowledge of.. you can not blame it on CC, they surely can not or should not go out of their way to build a POC website around every adblocking filter on the planet.. further more.. the money maker is the game and sub model, not the website.. if you have issues with the website.. and you've 'harmed' your own browser view, deal with your actions, website works perfectly fine, you're the one ruining the way it's supposed to look; fix it or white-list it.. afaik there are no ads on WO site(well I can't see any ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) 
510636b0688c27ba8bd069cc172a919f.png

--edit

1 hour ago, Eviloknievel said:

I agree with Milkdrop. It is simple. If you want equal chances to recruit people from every of the world then you have to consider peoples with adblocker plugins.

We in germany have a saying: "über den Tellerrand schauen" / looking over the plate edge. Finnn, so globalization has also to do with looking over the your breakfast plate edge and realise that not all people can search like you, dont have adblocker plugins and only use the right validation software.

Milkdrop +1
Jadegeier +1

And where the hell are my write capabilities...

Could have used the more common 'think outside the box', it's easier to comprehend than imagining plates, globalization, breakfasts and so on...

nonsense... about your 1st statement.. as I started.. there's no reason to build around somebody's mess.. the people with issues should solve them, website shows what it's supposed to show.. your messy filters break it.. fix it.. or white-list wurmonline.com, ez and it's all in your hands; "but but but.. what if new player doesn't see the links", what if the new player sees it anyway... if it's using default filter like I am(it shows perfectly fine)

1 ez fix is to download the images, rename with random symbols and re-upload and link there.... just to cater to people with stupid abp filters.

WHAT IF.. a visitor had an extension with the option to ban code segments.... and it blocks <body> ... </body>.. should somebody fix the page for these people also?(not a question -.-)

This thread is getting ridiculous.. you guys start to blame somebody for your slipping on a banana peel that you put on the floor and stepped on.. just because somebody had a floor for you to flip on the ground on your own, by your own.
come-on-are-5c23ad.jpg

Edited by Finnn

You know what browsers do come with? tab under vulnerabilities or popups you cant click away because your dam browser is coded to let a site lock you out from closing a window or happily running flash and letting it take over your pc with some nasty randsomware or those random sites that even though you think you close them they did their job and any time you open your browser and try to search for something google gets redirected to their ad invested website because that random ad that ran on that weird game forum you visited for a minute or 2 trying to find out how to do something in an obscure indy game infected your pc and rewrote your host file because a script was able to run because the ad and the site where ###### with

Using the excuse of " guys.. browsers comes with no adblock on them.. if you chose to add something you have little knowledge of.. you can not blame it on CC" as a reason is just stupid it isnt safe anymore to browse the web on trusted sites or otherwise without one heck even youtube isnt safe from time to time or fb or anywhere else as for "browsers dont come with an adblock" well there are plenty who actually do come with adblockers installed and make it their selling point for both the pc and mobile marketplace(brave is an browser i can think of of the top of my head that does this)

In the end of the day what is more important everyone seeing all wurm social media channels and those likes and views that help promote the game or the extremely rare oddball who might not even exist and who goes "im angry now that this youtube picture on this website is not blocked by my adblocker" id say the first and the fact that we have 2 people of the staff going "we think the 2nd is better" shows how anti growth the team is and that their priorities are screwed up and yes something as simple as this shows that but hey what can i say im just a player who has played for countless years and is upset with how the team(mostly ex members by now) has beaten a amazing game from 10K+ active members to well under 2k active members in a span of a few years after all what do i know about trying to promote growth(its kinda part of my job to design products that make it easier for companies to read data and also attract new customers with new ideas but hey its a fun job learning interesting things every dam week) for the game that i spend playing way late into the darkness and even had many 3-4 day nonestop runs on

But setting that aside i think this is more of a "we dont want to go in and do more work for something we dont believe in" vs a "I guess we could spend the time we have used so far replying and creating silly pictures into fixing something that would potentially give us a few extra players in the long run" after all every 16 euro counts right?

Anyway i rest my case im all for the dev spending 5 min extra to make everyone see it but if they dont want it so be it i guess

Edited by wipeout
  • Like 3

Been using adblock for many years and cant live without it.

Also about a year ago switched to brave browser and also love it.

Sometimes they both have quirks, but very well worth it imho.

f@(4 monopolies and their ads pushing

Edited by Griffith
  • Like 1

The text links are under media and the others under community. 

I'm not going to bypass an ad block to ensure extra links show. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 9:13 AM, Wulfgar said:

I just want to point out that noone in web development uses tools like the W3C validation tools. Maybe the big fat "This tool is an ongoing experiment in better HTML checking, and its behavior remains subject to change" on the top of the page is part of the reason. 

That is wrong. The W3C validation tools are used by web development companies all around the world and are also considered state of the art when you are studying this topic like me.

So there is no excuse not to have your website valid to these certain standards.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

As I said, I am done with the devs so far, meaning Retro has already cared to make some proper links on the twitch page, and he also put all important links in the pinned forum thread so people can see it.
So thanks for that Retro. :)
If Wulfgar or whomever will in the future have a look and maybe care for things too, that's also ok.
But stop already telling me it's my fault because Adblock or I'm really getting angry, as it is simply a naming problem for pictures on your part!
For now I official close this thing at least and we can move over into some more discussion without devs.

I might still take wo website as example below though. ;)

@Finnn, you are starting to annoy me... comparing google with wurm is like comparing a multi-billionaire with a beggar. ^^

But for better understanding I put it in a little story:

So we got the millionaire, the beggar and a hobbyist, all 3 have one piece of art to sell for one dollar, they all need to eat something, right?

At that point you can skip the millionaire, as he is already fed... so it's up to the beggar and the hobbyist to get food now.

Let's assume both of them have at least a little shed (company) with a door (the website).

The beggar doesn't care about his door, the hobbyist does.

There's also a crowd of 100 people, they all want to buy 1 piece of art from someone, at this point let's also assume that they, for whatever reason, don't like the millionaire and would rather support either the beggar or hobbyist.

1. 80 of them are currently not at home but using their mobile phone to find information. (According to google 80% of their search engine users are looking things up by mobile devices, mostly modern phones or similiar smaller sized screens.)
 - out of those 80 people 10 have problems with their eyes and need a proper normal sized text, they forgot their glasses and are out in the wild nowhere near a shop for magnifiying glasses.

2. Out of the other 20 people we have 10 with other difficulties (disabilities) and aren't able to use a phone as properly as people without difficulties can do and even not a computer, they need helper tools (screenreaders, helping apps, whatever other tools exists for them)

3. 4 of them are scared to use javascript and have it disabled.

4. 5 others have some adblock (without proper lock picks installed aka filter settings)

5. The last one is some professional nerd named Finnn, he is happy to fiddle with things on his browser and ofc has proper lock picks etc. yada yada...

They all were told, by some magazine, to go and check out those pieces of art made by beggar and hobbyist. Those magazines link them to their doors. 
You see what comes now... :D

5. The professional lock picker nerd named Finnn, with his proper setup tools and skills, just walks through the beggars door, as he is usually at home and not using his phone, and even if using his phone he will just get in through the window because ... nerds do so.

4. The 5 with adblock get told to go get their own stuff sorted, 2 of them do that, getting their lock picks sorted, don't throw their banana on floor, and walk through beggars door, but 3 others try fiddling and fail in picking locks and bananas and instead decide to look for the hobbyists piece of art, and walk in there (without getting told it's their problem...).

3. Those 4 people are probably not getting anywhere (I haven't checked (yet)), let's assume 2 are simply enabling js and walk through beggars door, the other 2 check out the hobbyists stuff instead and, without enabling their js, just walk in.

2. The 10 people with disabilities will not get anywhere near the beggar at all, because obviously the beggar doesn't care for such people to be able to use his door properly, instead they check out the hobbyists stuff and walk in there. (Heck, even the 90 year old grandpa with his simple old textbrowser is able to walk through the hobbyists door, the blind one with his screenreader too.)

And 1. seems we are left with the generation x smartphone zombies, 80 % according to google, looking up stuff... and now go and have a look at wo-door and how it will look like on your small phone screen.
Know what? Those 80 people will just walk happily through the hobbyists door because door is working fine even for their screens.

So, we end up with the beggar eating a 5 dollar canned soup and a hobbyist sitting in a nice restaurant eating a fine proper meal there.

I guess, it's definitely not needed to have doors properly maintained (nobody needs SEO only the industries around that, they are probably all broke) but if they are you have a much higher chance of getting people through them, instead of making them get stuck right there and not even get to see your product. ;)

And btw Finnn, browsers take those w3c standard seriously because they parse the websites with it and make them readable for humans like us.

Take care everybody, this was my last post for this discussion. Not willing to waste even more time into it because Finnn is at least right with one thing: this discussion will go on forever and nothing will change, so it's quite senseless to stick to it. :)

Have a nice day all.

Jade

Edit: FYI... I just said to a villager that I was busy typing forum stuff and now look at this....

[23:14:57] <Kastneer> you is very angry with this retrograde hahaha
[23:15:38] <Jadegeier> not really with Retrograde but the wurm devs overall, as they deliver broken website and tell me it's my fault that they are unable noobs ^^
[23:16:06] <Jadegeier> Retro at least tried to do some things that he knows but he's not proper dev, just community manager ;)
[23:16:07] <Kastneer> I don't know we have oficial wurm videos
[23:16:24] <Jadegeier> see, there is problem number 1, you didn't knwo! ;)
[23:16:46] <Jadegeier> and that's what I was angry about .... with all the other stuff :)
[23:16:56] <Jadegeier> https://www.twitch.tv/wurmonlineofficial
[23:17:21] <Kastneer> I find this game randomly in the internet
[23:17:32] <Jadegeier> that's official wurm twitch, thanks to my ranting there in forum, you now also can see a link to the youtube channel at that page ;)
[23:18:11] <Jadegeier> Kastneer, would you be ok with me taking your last chat sentences and paste them to forum so they can see ? :)
[23:18:24] <Jadegeier> maybe then they understand ^^
[23:18:36] <Kastneer> np, you can post it
[23:18:42] <Jadegeier> thanks :)

Edit: forget to deliver the source for proper citation -  source is village chat of Epic Pirate's Cove ;)

Edited by Jadegeier

The thing about this community and devs, is that they expect you to understand how everything works and that everyone is self-sufficient little nerds living their merry wurm life. Sure this community holds vast amount of coders and those who thinks they know everything and are eager to put that stick in your idea wheel, but that still doesnt mean things should be the way they are. This game needs to be updated to this years standards at least in management if nothing else. Someone should help Retro, he is drowning to the work load, if there is someone helping, get better at it. 

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I'm not going to bypass an ad block to ensure extra links show. 

??? Re-read that with thought. Hows that sound? Like a middle finger to paying customers. 

Clarity and simplicity in all things with proper planning before action should be the goal. 

Edited by Themystrix
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Themystrix said:

The thing about this community and devs, is that they expect you to understand how everything works and that everyone is self-sufficient little nerds living their merry wurm life. Sure this community holds vast amount of coders and those who thinks they know everything and are eager to put that stick in your idea wheel, but that still doesnt mean things should be the way they are. This game needs to be updated to this years standards at least in management if nothing else. Someone should help Retro, he is drowning to the work load, if there is someone helping, get better at it. 

??? Re-read that with thought. Hows that sound? Like a middle finger to paying customers. 

Clarity and simplicity in all things with proper planning before action should be the goal. 

I really wasnt going to reply but i just had to to this

Too me its more over a middle finger to new customers then current paying ones who are already invested in the game

"Deleted a lot of text here as what is really the point"

Also retro its as simple as a renaming away from youtube.jpg to 1.jpg or something like that by doing that it makes it so that every potential new customer who visits your site will get to see those social media links which in turn means more clickthroughs which in turn means google and the likes are more likely to show wurm on fb or youtube or google when they type in sandbox game 

"deleted some complicated math and graphs and statistics from multiple sources that show how low visit to purchase rate already is and how its best to have a site that catches a persons eye vs one with blanks" but what do we know right

• Like 1

I'm still not sure why people keep insisting that CC is to be blamed that somebody random installed a random extension with faulty filter and should reflect their frustration on CC when well.. they have nothing to do with that... you can literally break any website on this planet.. and it will still be the client's fault, as the extension is client-site, if the fault was server-side.. that sure.. go complain and it was still going to be fixed.. what I mention was decent enough, hanks for bringing light on the lack of images/links on witch IF there weren't any in he first place.. it was a bit far from 'nicely served feedback' but still helpful and reaction to that was fast from what I saw..

I really do not understand why it's so hard to see who's problem you're trying to reflect to devs/retro or whoever of the staff.. as ball is not in their field if you have a plugin/extension breaking your own view. Just get better 'glasses' to see the website right, problem is not in the picture, it's in your lenses, do not self-prescribe if you do not know what you're doing.

I'm curious about above math formulas and such.. if you still have them pm me some of that? Not joking, and to not derail here.. PM's fine