Sign in to follow this  
Jadegeier

Where the hell are... things?

Well, first I have to say I am sorry that this post doesn't sound as frustrated as it should, but I have cooled down a fair bit since I stumbled over... things. ^^

So, this first part of the post goes directly at you @Retrograde!

I know you were at the Lunalong recording for the wurm twitch channel for at least one or maybe even 2 hours. While I haven't had time to watch it live that day I just made a bookmark to rewatch it later.
I had another vod bookmarked to rewatch, I already forgot the title of that, sorry, which is also gone.

Then, I had some time... so thought I might as well watch those 2 recordings. Sadly, the links I had bookmarked only took me to a twitch page telling me that I need a time machine to watch them (which I obviously not have).

Now I thought, ok, let's just head to Youtube then as he has probably uploaded them there already... guess the journey just started at this point. :D

So, as an advanced internet user I did the obvious first thing when looking for something: I asked uncle Google for "youtube wurm online", and it gave me some links to proper wurm videos by Emoo, Katspurr, Factional Fight, Gerugon, and some others playing WU.
Nothing about Retrograde or any OFFICIAL wurm videos, not even on the second page!
(I also checked via a vpn in case google is too used to what I normally search for, still only Katspurr, Factional Fight, a MMO-Hut video and a link to WO website and wurmpedia listed.)

Ok, I thought by myself, can't be that hard, just go to the twitch channel, as I ofc already know where that is located and check the links there, as twitch streamers usually have ALL of their links set up in their description page.
Well, not Retrograde ofc... found only Twitter, Facebook (which I both don't have or use), and at least a link to the official wurm homepage. Nice...
Valrei Entertainment, yes, that's it... ehhh... listed are Emoo, Katspurr, Factional Fight etc, which I already had found by google but not the official Retrograde's channel.

So @Retrograde: Honestly, I hate you! You are the worsed PR guy I have ever stumbled over in my whole life, I must say.
You are not only NOT storing your vods for later watching on twitch as a proper and professional streamer should do, you are not even loading them up to Youtube (and if they are on YT, then WHERE THE HELL ARE THEY?).

Gladly, I was able to rewatch the latest video today, where you (Retrograde) were talking about that merchandise... ahh, right, I wanted to get a coffee mug and maybe a nice wurm pillow.
Guess what... Where the hell are... there is a shop? Oh yes, there is a shop button on the website at least... oh, wait... ;P

And this second part does not only go to Retro but also to the DEVS responsible for the website: Where the hell are... things?

1. Retrograde/Wurm online official twitch channel not listed on website
2. Wurm Online official Youtube not listed on website
3. Merchandise shop not listed on website

4. Employment ad for new PR guy not listed on website ^^

So, in all honesty, @Retrograde please sort out your twitch problems, at least ask Emoo or Katspurr how to store vods and make them stay there so people can rewatch them when they have time for it or load them up to Youtube and set a damn link to them on your twitch page!

And for the responsible devs: please fws (for wurm's sake), get a proper button on the website so I can at least get my wurm pillow and not get nightmares any longer over this ######.

And take in mind: I am a wurmian, so I know where what is or at least how to use google properly to find even my pillow. ;P
But you want new players, so how the hell do you think they will be able to find even the most important things?
If they have to go on such a big journey and asking left and right and in hidden places about where to find what when it comes to wurm, then there is something very wrong with you devs (and the PR guy).

PS @Retrograde: If that vod about the Lunalong is still somewhere to be seen, please let me know where.
If it is just vanished, the answer is "cheese" and I'd like to have a rare butcher knife send to me for all that hassle I've gone through. ;P

Jade

• Like 10
  • Cat 1

Getting called out here! 

I've modtly been focusing on the links all on social media! I'll rectify that today for sure. 

Twitch doesn't hold vods for long and since I use YouTube I don't worry about forcing them to stay (done by marking the whole vod as a highlight) 

Thanks for taking the time to bring it up, It will all be up to date today! 

• Like 9

RNG just doesnt quite jump on the required QL required with the skill at hand, please keep grinding! 

Sry, too funny because its true, welcome to wurm Jade! Its wogic i tell ya. 

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Getting called out here! 

I've modtly been focusing on the links all on social media! I'll rectify that today for sure. 

Twitch doesn't hold vods for long and since I use YouTube I don't worry about forcing them to stay (done by marking the whole vod as a highlight) 

Thanks for taking the time to bring it up, It will all be up to date today! 

you need some some all of this ASAP:

https://www.domestika.org/en/courses/151-copywriting-define-the-tone-of-your-personal-brand?query=copywriter 

https://www.udemy.com/course/how-to-think-and-write-like-a-copywriter/
https://www.coursera.org/courses?query=copywriting

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tamat said:

Come again? 

I mean, thanks for the suggestion, I picked up a few Udemy courses over the weekend, but I'm not sure where it fits in with this conversation

18 minutes ago, Finnn said:

@tamatwants to upgrade to Retrograde 2.0, press any key to proceed...
😁

im direct like a kick on the face but this guy dont get it...

30 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Come again? 

I mean, thanks for the suggestion, I picked up a few Udemy courses over the weekend, but I'm not sure where it fits in with this conversation

maybe you missed a line, let me simplify for you:

3 hours ago, Jadegeier said:

So @Retrograde: Honestly, I hate you! You are the worsed PR guy I have ever stumbled over in my whole life, I must say.

Jade

You know they meant it for the videos not being on youtube yet, right? 

• Like 1

I think you're focusing on a little statement here trying to blow it up, so I apologise. 

I do plenty in my role of Community Manager that involves far more than sharing videos, this thread about the presence of the YouTube channel and RedBubble merchandising has raised an area I can improve so I will. 

Thanks for the links though, I'll check them out later. 

So I was confused about the youtube and twitch not being around, I could have sworn I put it on the website, because I spent ages making the images for it. 

Turns out I did, on the main page:

zEJDfbQ.png

So I'm thoroughly confused where you were looking! 

what the hell is a vod?

Edited by Shrimpiie
Moderation Edit
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, armyskin said:

what the hell is a vod?

If you can't make that out of the text you either need to get a dictionary about slang used in other countries or use this:

Very Obsolete Doucebag

And in case ppl wonder why NOTHING! ever happens over here, it's because too many forum members keep derailing threads.

@Retrograde: Better fix all of the points Jadegeier brought up fast, as I've been hearing her complains about it for several months now. And it's slowly driving me nuts.

Thorin :) 

Edited by Thorinoakshield
typo's
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Thorinoakshield said:

@Retrograde: Better fix all of the points Jadegeier brought up fast, as I've been hearing her complains about it for several months now. And it's slowly driving me nuts.

Two are strange because theyre on the website and have been for the past two months. 

That said, I'll be doing a Wurm away from Wurm sticky of all our non wurm website doings too 

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Two are strange because theyre on the website and have been for the past two months.

I had a look, yes sure they are on there but you have to scroll down on the mainpage to find it, it's not exactly intuitive.

From the Menu band offered at the top I would look for any Video or Media related links in such categories, but "Media" only has pretty screenshots, no further mention of YouTube or other things.

"Game Info" could be a possible point for them as well, but when you check it, it's obvious that it's meant for ingame ressources, maybe get it in line with the Link Thread you started so it's a bit coherent or just add a link to the menu that sends people to the forum page which is maybe easier for you to maintain?

But as for the location of the "Social" stuff which is also a lot of media, usually you have a own area for it if it is a lot you have to share or the links are at the very bottom of the page in a footer that basically every Site of your web presence has then or in a "Media" section.

Further Scrolling down leads again to a bunch of screenshots, so you have some there and then a whole "Media" point that has only Screenshots.... seems a bit odd to have it at two locations.

I would recommend revamping the "Media" section by adding everything "Media" related like YT, Twitch, etc. and cutting off the Main Page after the Features with " …and much, much more! " - the excerpt of the latest News topics seems ok there too, considering the "News" section from the top menu band leads to a more details News archive.

Unless this is all some odd stunt for SEO. ^_^

Edited by Milkdrop
  • Like 2

Ah and maybe a submenu to shop also for that merchandise

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Milkdrop said:

I would recommend revamping the "Media" section by adding everything "Media" related like YT, Twitch, etc. and cutting off the Main Page after the Features with " …and much, much more! " - the excerpt of the latest News topics seems ok there too, considering the "News" section from the top menu band leads to a more details News archive.

I'll be doing that yes! 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Twitch doesn't hold vods for long

...?

i have VODs from like 7 years ago

guess that isnt long to you

I just came home, so give me an hour to answer to the conversation that is going on. There are multiple things I have to add/say. But first I need to eat something. ;)

@Retrogradecan be deleted because forum is not the best thing to edit posts with :D

Edited by Jadegeier

22 hours ago, Retrograde said:

3 hours ago, Quicktor said:

...?

i have VODs from like 7 years ago

guess that isnt long to you

Retro is right here, Twitch only holds vods longer if you are a so called Twitch associate (or whatever it is called these days). I don't think that Retro's channel has enough viewers and whatever else it takes to get even near this. 

But what he could do is not only loading them up to Youtube but also set a link on his twitch page directly pointing to YT. ;) Which I am still missing there btw. ^^

19 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I think you're focusing on a little statement here trying to blow it up, so I apologise. 

I do plenty in my role of Community Manager that involves far more than sharing videos, this thread about the presence of the YouTube channel and RedBubble merchandising has raised an area I can improve so I will. 

Thanks for the links though, I'll check them out later. 

You are ofc doing things, but you are not a real PR manager, and have to learn things,  and while I don't think any of those links posted by Tamat in that post will help you getting better advertisement out, it at least  shows that the community is willing to help. While you're at it, check also Gamasutra, they got real helpful posts in their blog. ;)

Now to that video... just a link to YT is fine, it has to be there because when I am watching streams on Twitch and/or a vod (video of the day, not vodka btw 😜 ) and know that the streamer has a YT channel as well, I just scroll down and look into his description... professional and even not-so-professional usually have ALL their media channels and everything, even shop (!) linked here.

17 hours ago, Retrograde said:

So I was confused about the youtube and twitch not being around, I could have sworn I put it on the website, because I spent ages making the images for it. 

Turns out I did, on the main page:

zEJDfbQ.png

So I'm thoroughly confused where you were looking! 

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

That said, I'll be doing a Wurm away from Wurm sticky of all our non wurm website doings too 

I dunno what you have done there, but 1. this main page is totally confusing in it's own, media links somewhere at the bottom instead of the proper "media" menu... 2. it already changed and now (by the time I checked it a few minutes ago) nothing is listed except discord and Twitch, what did you do? LOL... and 3. even screenshots at the bottom here instead of media section ....

And you do what? That last sentence there is (at least for me) even more confusing than the way it takes to find your Youtube channel. ^^

10 hours ago, Milkdrop said:

I had a look, yes sure they are on there but you have to scroll down on the mainpage to find it, it's not exactly intuitive.

From the Menu band offered at the top I would look for any Video or Media related links in such categories, but "Media" only has pretty screenshots, no further mention of YouTube or other things.

"Game Info" could be a possible point for them as well, but when you check it, it's obvious that it's meant for ingame ressources, maybe get it in line with the Link Thread you started so it's a bit coherent or just add a link to the menu that sends people to the forum page which is maybe easier for you to maintain?

But as for the location of the "Social" stuff which is also a lot of media, usually you have a own area for it if it is a lot you have to share or the links are at the very bottom of the page in a footer that basically every Site of your web presence has then or in a "Media" section.

Further Scrolling down leads again to a bunch of screenshots, so you have some there and then a whole "Media" point that has only Screenshots.... seems a bit odd to have it at two locations.

Unless this is all some odd stunt for SEO. ^_^

Exactly... there are screenshots under media and other media is elsewhere, even some more screenshots are elsewhere and not in media, but on main page... very confusing if not completely unprofessional.

And no, it doesn't look like that is a SEO thingy, at least even that could be done without having a mess all over. :D

10 hours ago, Cecci said:

Ah and maybe a submenu to shop also for that merchandise

Thorin can sing you a song of how often I did say that in chat... and all other things I was constantly complaining about, invluding (edit: ignore typo) missing that Lunalong vod. :D

14 hours ago, Thorinoakshield said:

If you can't make that out of the text you either need to get a dictionary about slang used in other countries or use this:

Very Obsolete Doucebag

And in case ppl wonder why NOTHING! ever happens over here, it's because too many forum members keep derailing threads.

Thorin :) 

Two things are correct... in every thread people are kinda interrupting with nonsense posts instead of keeping it a clean discussion, but I guess we are used to it, so it doesn't matter. We only need to tell Retro to ignore those kind of posts and stick to the important ones. ;)

Alright, so Retro, those things I want to get fixed:

1. load up older twitch vods to Youtube asap

2. on Twitch: do get rid of one of those double links that point to wurm website, one is enough... instead make one link to YT.

3. make sure all media is linked under media where it belongs, if necessary make more/different submenus

4. change website menu "shop" to be a submenu with "silver/premium shop" and "wurm merchandise shop" (with proper link to my wurm pillow ofc)

5. next time when streaming and you mention the merchandise stuff, put a damn link in the chat for it too ! and do mention that at least 3 times each stream 😜

6. consider changing into an all-american-wonder and get bling-blings all over your stream window.... :D (well, at least a decent top or bottom row/banner letting people know there is a shop).  There is a reason why streamers tend to let their followers, donators and especially their shop and merch things being seen on some kind of blinking overlayed window somewhere at the edges or all over sometimes ^^

Adapt and at least behave as if you would be even halfway professional. You don't need to be professional, but you need to make sure people thinking you are...that's the whole trick. ;)

And sometimes it works to get attention by drinking beer out of a shoe.

Edited by Jadegeier
edited typos
  • Like 1

Oh and... just to mention it, on Google chrome it does look like this to me currently:

V2B75Te.png

• Like 1

Thank you for that feedback! I'll be adjusting the page a bit today. 

The devstreams aren't the usual streamer set up because our goal isn't to make money off them, it's about sharing a love of wurm and giving an opportunity to chat and engage in a love basis. 

We are an affiliate on twitch and do have subscriber emotes but they're not the focus. So our design is aimed at being simple and clean because it's not about how many subs or donations we have, it's about the engagement with the community. 

I don't know why you're missing those links, can anyone else confirm they are there or not? 

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Thank you for that feedback! I'll be adjusting the page a bit today. 

The devstreams aren't the usual streamer set up because our goal isn't to make money off them, it's about sharing a love of wurm and giving an opportunity to chat and engage in a love basis. 

We are an affiliate on twitch and do have subscriber emotes but they're not the focus. So our design is aimed at being simple and clean because it's not about how many subs or donations we have, it's about the engagement with the community. 

I don't know why you're missing those links, can anyone else confirm they are there or not? 

Browser cache is a b****...

Pressing CTRL+F5 or clearing browser cache should help. Just the normal technical limitation of the internet.

Open in incognito mode to make sure you are viewing the current version of the page.

Edited by Sklo:D

Yes, but it strikes me as a content blocker aimed at blocking Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.