Sign in to follow this  
Polosc61

Meditation

On a 1x server should you be able to reach meditation skill of 15 is 12 hours?

Sleep bonus is so important for grinding.  Not sure if sleep bonus is available for Unlimited servers.  Without it, it very well could be 12  hours+ grinding.

I was able to reach meditation ~20 over the course of 2 days with sleep bonus for much of it.  I didn't record the amount of time spent grinding mediation, as I was moving and doing other things, but I am 90% sure it was well under 12 hours total. This was Wurm Online Freedom Cluster- which is 1x same as unlimited?  Hope that helps.  

if wurm unlimited shares same mechanics as WO, and i think they do, then up to 20 meditation skill you have no restrictions, so you can meditate after a meditation once you move 10 tiles. so up to 20 skill can be done in hours. 20+ skill you have to meditate 30 minutes apart 5 times a day, plus once every 3 hours after that.

There is a popular meditation mod that a lot of servers use, even 1x ones with very few mods, which remove some of the most painful parts of the WO meditation system.   I forget if it is one of Sindusk's mods or who is the author...

If you are playing on a particular 1x server, you could ask whether they use that mod.  

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

So I have been checking several 1x servers and all are giving approx 1 skill point for the first meditation. My server is giving a contestant 0.14 skill gain for first meditation, and seems to be slow from that point on. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you address it? 

22 hours ago, Actuarius said:

This was Wurm Online Freedom Cluster- which is 1x same as unlimited

It's not, the skillgain system itself is different. Specifically for meditation it makes gaining it on WU harder than WO because the bonus to skillgain from action time is capped at 10 seconds which means you get a lot less than the long ass 2 minute timer would give you WO.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Polosc61 said:

Is channeling also slower on 1x WU server than on WO?

Channeling is way easier on WU as you can just spam one of the 5 favor spells and keep gaining from it no matter your current skill

6 hours ago, bdew said:

Channeling is way easier on WU as you can just spam one of the 5 favor spells and keep gaining from it no matter your current skill

I'm familiar with Opulence and Light Token.  What are the other 3?  

9 hours ago, Batta said:

I'm familiar with Opulence and Light Token.  What are the other 3?  

I meant spells that cost 5 favor - which are light token and morning fog. Without mods those are available only to mag/fo, so for the other gods the best option is bless which is 10 favor.

12 minutes ago, bdew said:

I meant spells that cost 5 favor - which are light token and morning fog. Without mods those are available only to mag/fo, so for the other gods the best option is bless which is 10 favor.

Ohhh, of course.  🙂

Om Mystic Highlands we tried lowering the difficulty for the meditation skill, for higher gains, but which I think didn't work that well. On Awakening we've instead switched the skill model and are using the old WO skill model, for meditation skill only - which so far is working like on WO. Without modding, on a 1x1x server, meditation on WU is more or less broken, gains above 30 are close to none. There are advantages and disadvantages to both WO and WU models, but almost all our players seem to prefer the WU skill model, with the exception of the meditation skill.

Changing so any skill is using the old WO model is trivial. In the class com.wurmonline.server.skills.Skill, some of the skillCheck-methods have an argument useNewSystem. Just flip that argument to false and you get the old system.

2 hours ago, Tenniel said:

Changing so any skill is using the old WO model is trivial. In the class com.wurmonline.server.skills.Skill, some of the skillCheck-methods have an argument useNewSystem. Just flip that argument to false and you get the old system.

For those of us who don't know how or where you'd do that, any chance someone wants to work up a simple mod just to change the meditation to false so we can use the WO system?

Alright Batta, I will see what I can do, but it's been a very busy time for me having moved to a new house last week and many deadlines at work, but perhaps I will get some time during the holidays for making a public mod. My primary focus though is my own server. Anyway, OP requested some other mod features in a PM, and what I will do is compile one server mod with all those features, and which you can pick the features you want by setting properties in the mod properties-file. There is a technical disadvantage with having a thousand mods, in that code injections can overwrite each others, e.g. mod A changes the method Q, then mod B also replaces method Q with new code, then the changes A did may not exist anymore. This is one of the reasons I prefer keeping all code in one project. Another is that working with 30 projects is very time consuming. I'll PM you and OP when I get started and post the mod in the forum.

Edited by Tenniel
  • Like 2