Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

New rune Dominate (spell)

Given the lots of gobbies now running everywhere (and having seen even a champ gob lately for the second time at all - first was on Pristine) I would love to have an opportunity to dominate some as a non priest. The electrum runes of Magranon and Libila are still free.

Edited by Ekcin
improved subject line
  • Cat 1

I can see this as being brokenly overpowered in both a PvE sense and a PvP sense (troll bodyguards for everyone!).

At least leave some useful mechanics for those who choose to actually play their priests.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

I can see this as being brokenly overpowered in both a PvE sense and a PvP sense (troll bodyguards for everyone!).

At least leave some useful mechanics for those who choose to actually play their priests.

nonpriest cant enchant or teleport others, so there you have lot of advantage on pve and pve...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tamat said:

nonpriest cant enchant or teleport others, so there you have lot of advantage on pve and pve...

Advantage - We can enchant

Disadvantage - We can't imp

Advantage - We can teleport OTHER PEOPLE

Disadvantage - We still have to get there ourselves

At the moment, we pay for our advantages with disadvantages.

While I am not crying the overpowered melody, I would say that priests have a lot of power - and a couple of restrictions, some of them truly painful. As to teleporting, priests can teleport one another back and forth. With high meditating or enought karma they can return home like anyone else.

But envy over a spell rune seems ridiculous to me. Obviously you never have made or used any. Usually the spell rune you need (that is the law of always standing in the wrong queue) is not that of the deity you are following, so it needs fairly high skill in jewelry, stone cutting, and FC, and higher ql rift materials to craft one, many failures warranted, count at least 2-3 mats wasted for one rune being created if not your god. And then, if your SD is not outstanding, success is not guaranteed either when attaching.

I cannot tell about PvP and the utility of a troll pet. If that would be balance breaking, the suggestion would have to be restricted to PvE. Still mind that given the frequency of rift fights on Epic at least, rift materials might be ways more scarce than on Freedom (and therefore Chaos). I was thinking more about gobbies which are more funny than dangerous.

Edited by Ekcin

'a lot of power' is an understatement..  only thing a priest have as limitation is the inability to improve.. and extra 1-2 penalty actions like collecting 1 type of resource, what if crafters had all priest deity abilities except the ability to 'improve a spell', how would such a game look like, more balanced?🤔😮

Runes still take good bit of quite finite amount of resources.. for which you have to spend good amount of time at mostly inconvenient times.. and mostly places(traveling around servers or being up at 1-6AM to play.. and to be shackled for 1-4hours per event, on a WORKING day at that)

--edit

4 hours ago, tamat said:

nonpriest cant enchant or teleport others, so there you have lot of advantage on PvE and PvP...

'bout that... yea... priests got a rally overpowering buff on pve/pvp buffs and spells.. for combat.. but non-priests still suck a thumb when it comes to fighting, before priests used to have spells in addition in their arsenal of fighting style, but now.... pffffffffffffffffff there's no body characteristics restrictions, debuffs or anything like that.. priest is just as good and free as any non-priest char.. but in addition blessed with all the combat abilities and buffs coming with your faith, in order to be a 'champion' in fighting, you have to be a priest.. not so difficult to notice, unless you're closing your eyes when looking at the fact.. that pvp-ers are mostly what? - priests..

Is that a pvp meta? Should all fighting players become a priest to be better? Should the game also offer the non-priests their own power-ups and abilities to cause more damage and buff up strenght, defence and so on, maybe based on weapons.. but restrict these fighting stances and abilities only for non-priest characters? maybe at the cost of combat stamina or something like that.. just like favor.. with a special alchemy/cooking/enchanted items to recover this new power like gems? Does that sound like balancing the scales? To me .. maybe.. why not if it than gives even odds for both parties, who's against and why? What's so good in the priest meta spam of spells from range + somebody to tank the aggro?

Edited by Finnn
wanted to bold that..

3 hours ago, Ekcin said:

But envy over a spell rune seems ridiculous to me.

I quite agree.

3 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Obviously you never have made or used any

Actually, I've used quite a few and even made a couple (using VERY high QL materials) of the fo aligned ones.  Skilling FC, SC or JS as a priest is pretty futile beyond 30 skills (creationg QL caps it), but high QL materials do give some limited access.  Mostly, though, I've had them made by my housemate, or by folks in return for enchants.

3 hours ago, Ekcin said:

it needs fairly high skill in jewelry, stone cutting, and FC, and higher ql rift materials to craft one, many failures warranted, count at least 2-3 mats wasted for one rune being created if not your god. And then, if your SD is not outstanding, success is not guaranteed either when attaching.

These are good points, for runes attached to items.  When it comes to spell runes, though, once you have the rune it does the job, no SD check required.  You still need *a* high skill (any will do since it is not item reliant) and the materials (high QL does help, but that argument is the same for any material).  Overall, this opens a door that really should remain closed.

An item specifically designed to befriend goblins, I'll grant could be fun though.  A "goblin friendship" rune might be better than lumping in the sheer power of dominate.

dominate is a meme spell that you only really use to collect animals for your zoo, i don't get all this op in pvp/pve talk pets are absolutely awful things that make you want to pull out your hair with how bad their ai is

+1 to more fun spells on runes

• Like 3