Sign in to follow this  
Gwyn

Jackal Stronghold Tweaks

JoX1u4R.png

This year's Christmas gift?

Got up early this Sunday morning, 2–3 hours into the much-hyped opening of the Stronghold, looking forward to a good rift-like fight, the culmination of months of work on Jackal. Luckily, there were still a couple of mobs on the ground; I even managed to solo a rift jackal and ogre mage with the archery skills and gear I'd spent countless hours honing. Then I joined in on the warmaster and another ogre. And then, within about 30 minutes, it was all over. That was short, I thought, but at least I got some points out of it. Not so. My archery contribution went completely unrecognised and I got zero points. (Yes, yes, woe is me and all that.)

Two suggestions out of this:

1. Fairly reward archery at the stronghold (and rifts? never tried). I've spent my Jackal career doing little else and it's a kick in the teeth to find archery completely unrewarded in the endgame. If there are balance concerns, address them appropriately without a total denial of points. Different combat styles should be viable, or do we want identikit toons all swinging huge axes in unison?

2. Extend each Stronghold battle so that it lasts (random number) 12 hours, giving different time zones a fair shake at participating. Yes, this might make the battle difficult or impossible for any given player to see through from start to finish, but so what? It's too big an event for players invested in Jackal to miss because of pesky things like sleep, family, or having a job. This is especially relevant as we enter the holiday season. If estimating the player turnout is the difficulty here, GMs could be given the power to throttle up or down mob spawns / number of waves in real time depending on participation to ensure the battle lasts long enough.

• Like 1

standing outside the zone shooting in gives no points. Archery is rewarded but you need to be within the zone. This is to avoid hanging out in safety and scoring points, so it is feasible, just requires having to step in. 

I believe the next wave will be in 10 days 7 hours or so, which should give a different timezone the opportunity to take part too. It's many waves over a long time, but I can take that as a note for improvements for sure! 

13 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

standing outside the zone shooting in gives no points. Archery is rewarded but you need to be within the zone. This is to avoid hanging out in safety and scoring points, so it is feasible, just requires having to step in. 

I use a long bow so there goes that advice (the zone is a four-tile radius). And come on, there's not a lot of risk involved for any experienced participant, melee, healer, or archer, if we're really being honest here. All I'm saying is the contribution of medium/long bow archers should be given some reward. Scale it down if archery is felt to be too 'safe'. Or scale up points given to melee participants, such as a bonus for being targeted by mobs or taking damage from them.

13 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I believe the next wave will be in 10 days 7 hours or so, which should give a different timezone the opportunity to take part too. It's many waves over a long time, but I can take that as a note for improvements for sure! 

That should definitely help. Thanks for the reply in any case.

P.S. After re-reading, I should clarify: I was in the stronghold 'zone' for all kills, in case that was what you were referring to.

Edited by Gwyn
post-script
  • Like 1

So I just logged in hoping to join the fight but it's all over. Seems there is another wave we can join in which is good news but I don't see any more turrets.

Will we be unable to complete our Jackal Journal goals for fighting Fire and Ice turrets now ?

Explora, the Warmaster summons turrets at half health.  Sad to say, those were targeted first despite repeated requests to hold off from them if at all possible(in the end all of the original turrets had to be destroyed to advance the wave).  You should get a chance to complete and hopefully the timetable on the opening better fits your play schedule.

I would also expect some turrets inside the second wall - which are currently invisible or even will spawn only by the time the walls crumble.

Hopefully it will be lasting longer next time as most of the participants in the first round quite surely have that goal already - I will sure not touch any ice/fire turrets next time (and I was just swinging at for the goal then retreating from them during the first round too).

Regarding the archers considered too safe - now that many mobs have powerful AoE why not add them a long range attack that counters archery? That way archers could use their talents and would not destroy their roleplay.

Edited by Jaz

@Devs  Would it be feasible to tweak the code to have fire and ice turrets spawn with the rift mobs?  I, too, was unable to kill the one turret each that the Warmaster dropped during the fight and, therefore, was unable to complete the goals.  Hopefully, I can make the next opening, but who knows how real life will intervene.

Edited by Galatyn

We'll be spawning ice and fire turrets around the stronghold to ensure players who need them can get them. 

We can't control who kills them so do your best to not destroy them all if others need them! 

32 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We'll be spawning ice and fire turrets around the stronghold to ensure players who need them can get them. 

We can't control who kills them so do your best to not destroy them all if others need them! 

Because fair use works so well in wurm

The community has worked amazingly well together with Jackal. It's been an incredibly inspiring experience to see people working together for the common goal and reminds me of what I really enjoy in wurm. 

From the great feast prior to the opening of the stronghold to the many words of thanks and congratulations, as well as Phennexions inspiring speech:

16:12:22] <Phennexion> OK!!!!! my speech
[16:12:28] Phennexion stands up and stumbles a lil
[16:13:05] <Phennexion> Everyone!! you are amazing!! When i joined this server and joined expedition HQ i thought, wow what a sh!tshow
[16:13:23] <Phennexion> but after a month, so many committed people, so many hard working crafters and hunters
[16:13:27] <Phennexion> i knew we had something special
[16:13:33] <Phennexion> then we made amazing allies
[16:13:36] <Phennexion> we explored!
[16:13:38] <Phennexion> We made BRAVO!
[16:13:49] <Phennexion> and our amazing crafters poured their heart and soul into the village
[16:13:53] <Phennexion> so much time invested
[16:14:00] <Phennexion> we built a LOOOOONGG stupid road
[16:14:05] <Phennexion> because we didnt know any better
[16:14:17] <Phennexion> then we built amazing canals
[16:14:24] <Phennexion> and really opened up the server
[16:14:33] <Phennexion> and we found the hotspot theory with Whfawn
[16:14:45] <Phennexion> thanks to the AMAZING hard work of everyone who built turret lake tunnel canal
[16:14:50] <Phennexion> what a huge project
[16:14:52] <Phennexion> here we are
[16:15:02] <Phennexion> CHEER TO EVERYONE who helped us get this far
[16:15:09] <Almostsolitude> cheers
[16:15:12] <Shydow> Cheers!
[16:15:13] <Reddragon> cheers o/
[16:15:14] <Tria> Cheers
[16:15:15] <Darrellbeaugez> Thanks to all the people who built up the skills to sail across the sever, thanks to all the people that built up all the gear, thanks to all that have been here to fight the endless hordes of bcons!!
[16:15:15] <Leander> \o/
[16:15:17] <Proseedda> cheers
[16:15:18] <Blaca> cheers
[16:15:20] <Phennexion> and we'll spank every damn jackal in thereee!!

[16:15:23] <Dreammaster> cheers!
[16:15:24] <Darrellbeaugez> CHEEers to all !!!

Jackal had its flaws and issues, but the one thing it got right is the companionship and people working together. And I'm so incredibly proud to see that happen

• Like 4

I wasn't in a position to join this time around but from afar it looked neat, flaws and all. I'm still planning to join a next time.