Sign in to follow this  
Dranana1

Auction House

I think it may be time to talk about something that may upset some people, but that others may want a lot; That is the Auction House. I think this would actually be a good thing especially it is was tied into the wagoner or mail system. I think this might also help the economy some as well. I know I for one hate to go to the trade channel just to check a price or something because then I get a lot of PM's from pushy salesmen. I think an auction house could help this because then you could just look and see what is selling for what. Also since I think the auction house should be able to ship across continents, then you don't have to worry about taking a couple hours of play time to go to another continent to deliver to a place you may not even know the location of. This could also help new players since there would be fees associated with buying or selling and those fees would go into the kingdom coffers. Maybe if the quest system was updated a little, and the coffer had money, maybe new players could be offered a quest that would have  money reward so they could make their first deed. I think that is why a lot of new players may not be sticking around, after all why pay for a deed if you are not sure you will even like the game. This way the first deed is payed for through quests and they may stick around longer.

Also I hate to say it but a lot of games do use the auction house to help regulate a player economy and it has been very successful in most game (not counting WoW). This could also make it to where people could request thing by putting up an order with the auction house and paying a fee as well as the cost of what they want then the auction house fills it and send it to the customer. This could help people as well so they could see what people want and are willing to pay for an item. This is just a rough draft of an idea so please fell free to leave constructive (not destructive) ideas and thought about this. Another thought was that you could also have an auction place on your deed with an auctioneer contract and an auction board. The auction board would list what is on the action so you could have one on the deed just for that, but to put things on the auction house, you would need to visit an auctioneer or have a contract to have one on your deed. This way people would have to go to the newbie towns and it may make things more lively since people get to see others around.

I think the fact that there are no NPC or other around in starter towns, this make them lonely so new players are intimidated because all they see is a starter town with nothing in it. For a lot of new players, this is intimidating compare to a lot of the games out there. Who knows maybe this would help with that since people would have to go to towns to put thing on the auction house unless they pay to have a personal auctioneer.

• Like 4

There unfortunately is no appetite for this, and It would be difficult to implement for non-bulk items to boot. Many people would find it contrary to the setting and style of the game as well. A +1 to the spirit of the idea. 

It won't happen (too complicated) and I don't want it to happen.

I think the suggestion is a bit weird, and there's a few things I find confusing.

I hear more complaints about getting no price checks back then I do about "pushy salesmen"

How does money going to kingdom coffers help new players?

The spirit of the idea is there like was said prior, but the suggestion itself just doesn't seem like it'd work. I'd rather see an auction house that encourages buying in a location in Wurm, rather than just an ingame window and having it delivered by a bot.

5 hours ago, Wargasm said:

It won't happen (too complicated) and I don't want it to happen.

Too complicated? just a npc like merchant/trader, that browse everything sorted by categories.
You paid like 1c to put your stuff there  (with already existing price mechanic), will be in limbo for a time (lets say 2months).

you talk to the npc, browse the categories and select what you want buy, put the money and get the item (and change if needed). and/or reusing the mail system and the items is mailed to you (paying the 1c extra).
money goes to bank like cod (this part already exist)

The auction can be per server or cluster, not much different, most downside could be load time like xanadu highway system when load list of deeds

Edited by tamat
  • Like 1

- better trade window 

- able to filter by category

- link all merchants located within deed

11 hours ago, tamat said:

Too complicated? just a npc like merchant/trader, that browse everything sorted by categories.

Okay, will the trade window be sortable by item rarity?  By QL?  By enchant power?  How about runes?  How about the material?  (Iron, steel, gold etc).  There is much more to this system than just posting "leather gloves of the monkey" like World of Warcraft.

People think an auction house system is such a great idea because few of them think past the golden opportunity to have someone else sell bricks for them,  but none of them stop to think how many more people would be doing the same thing.  An AH does nothing to give sellers any kind of advantage, in fact quite the opposite.

You can combine sorting options with priorities.. highest rarity, LT, COC, MS, N, casts... demise and runes can be a check box.. they are either there or not.. it's a constant, not a varying cast; imbue is same like casts, but not that common to see selling.

AH will just provide easy way to sort offers and that will eventually bring prices to new low, which will self balance eventually.. once you hit rock bottom, it's barely worth doing the thing to get such amount of coins.

Positive for normal players - you do what you want and like, and toss the crafts/casts you feel like selling into the AH, down side.. nolifers and sketchy-personalities.. will spam this 24/7 if possible to get even 5-500/+ bucks whenever possible.

All that works if we actually had a healthy amount of crafters/casters and buyers and the need for the two.. but for a new player there's no need to buy a new hammer once it purchases a QL90-91.. the hammer will be relatively just as good even when it drops to 70ql.. by that time.. the player will be ~past 70 blacksmithing and will be able to either improve it on it's own or buy one to last for the next half-1 year.. THAT IS, IF THE PLAYER LITERALLY ONLY DOES BLACKSMITHING to wear that ql down.. main issue is damage is same for everybody, but repairing it does ruin the ql more when it's done by unskilled char in repairing.

So what do we do.. implement poor and higher ql wood work/metals/alloys.. implement metalurgy and carpentry overall skills and abilities to provide better tools.. making better skilled players able to sell higher "quality" items than new ones? Realistic maybe... but not fun for sure.. and the closer you get to realism.. it just gets more tempting to quit on playing and spend that money on a 1 week real experience at blacksmithing somewhere, ("why?")because why not

This could be useful for a big market to sort things at the items sold there.. and to index the contents of all merchant contracts on the market deed.. could be implemented as a new npc contract sold from traders.

Unsure how good wurm will deal with actual auction.. as some are going to great lengths to get a few coins.

• Like 1

I still think it may help the economy and as for new players, I think it could help them as well. Most people who play video games know about auction houses and feel comfortable using them. I know when I first started the game I thought I got tools that were very good at a reasonable price, only to find out that I was gouged a lot. An auction house could help new players understand the economy of the game a bit better. Also the fees from the auction house would go to the kingdom coffers so if a new player sold corpses to tokens they would have a little bit of money for deed or supplies. Who knows an AH may make the game more interesting to new players and they may stick around more. This is just another option to help the dying economy and player base, since I would like to see the game have more people and be around for another 20 years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dranana1 said:

I still think it may help the economy and as for new players, I think it could help them as well. Most people who play video games know about auction houses and feel comfortable using them. I know when I first started the game I thought I got tools that were very good at a reasonable price, only to find out that I was gouged a lot. An auction house could help new players understand the economy of the game a bit better. Also the fees from the auction house would go to the kingdom coffers so if a new player sold corpses to tokens they would have a little bit of money for deed or supplies. Who knows an AH may make the game more interesting to new players and they may stick around more. This is just another option to help the dying economy and player base, since I would like to see the game have more people and be around for another 20 years. 

I'll agree that bumping into a known mechanic.. new people will feel familiar with it and use it straight away.. 
Problem is... you might be new.. and unfamiliar with wurm monsters.. they grind... and grind and some are even sketchy.. in ways... but they have huge, enormous piles of resources(well sellers do have such stocks), you'll give them a reason to hoard and produce even more that way... your noobs will be forced to work ~6x times more in time.... or worse.. to get similar results, why 6 or higher.. - skill and knowledge does that.. that is if it was a 'fair 1v1' competition, but sellers have alts to bulk produce simultaneously, so.. make it 2-3-4x+ times that 6x.. 

Do you still think a new player have a chance at making money in wurm? I do not. Unless somebody wants to selectively help new people and buy their low ql resources... it will be hard to miss the good big bit of higher quality resources with fast delivery and established trading etiquette.

Problem with wurm economy is that players choke every breathing bit of it.. either for fun or to juice every iron coin possible. These with enough time will do that, just because.. "it's money" at the end of the day.(seen not just 1 .. brick maker with alts doing unhealthy 16/+ hour run making bricks with several characters.. to sell them on the market..)

Idea have potential.. but.. also it wont be as you imagine it.. the other thing is .. devs often change suggestions and implement their own version of a chimera having bit of this and that... fusing several ideas .. not always close to what you intended.. but have a distant smell of it.

Good luck with this.

• Cat 1

Well at least the devs seem to listen to ideas so that's a plus compared to most game devs, so who know maybe they may make something like this just better since they know the game and community better.

What if each starting zone had an auctioneer (players cannot own/hoard unlike a trader)  and all of the stuff that sits not selling for months on personal merchants is uploaded on one screen say all merchants within a region are tied to the auctioneer? This would increase sales of poorly placed merchants and would give people a reason to travel “to town” (the starting towns for the server) listing of single items only e.g. rare material and tools/weapons/armour. No bulk.