Sign in to follow this  
Mitzie

Sermon Question

My Paaweelr priest is currently at a friend's deed participating in Sermons.  Her sermon counter in Journal goal 'Benediction' hasn't moved despite having given 6 sermons since yesterday morning.  Is there some other stipulation that would cause the sermons to not count?  The deity of the area we're in is Vynora.. would that cause the sermons to not count?

thanks

Edited by Mitzie
typos

I know there has to be at least 1 listener (premium or not) in order to give a sermon, and I am certain that even a non prem listener gives you credit for a sermon in your journal.

Perhaps alignment has to be on cooldown?  (Your priest would have to gain faith, basically).

I think I may have figured it out.  I've been burning sleep bonus for praying and have been doing sermons when the timer is up.  I don't think that the journal is counting sermons that are given when sleep bonus is on.  

I'll do more testing to verify this but I think that's what happening.

We have 14 people in the prayer group, all are premium.  We're waiting for alignment so that's not the issue. For my other priest who is < 100 faith, prayer counter resets.  This priest is at 100 faith already, she's only sermoning to fulfill the journal requirement.  

• Like 1

As far as I'm aware there have to be 4 listeners to get a faith tick (0.08 faith), and 6 listeners to get a prayer reset (and 0.12 faith). You can do sermons with less listeners (for alignment gains) but there will be no faith gains or prayer reset. I was under the impression this only applies to valid listeners (i.e., premium accounts).

For a listener to be valid they can't have had an alignment tick in the last 30 minutes, so you have to wait at least 30 minutes between sermons (as sermons give alignment), and the sermon counter itself is 3 hours (so the same priest can go again 3 hours later). Listeners can't be on carts (or presumably other vehicles) and also have to be within 4 tiles (?) of the sermon-giver (at the point when the sermon ends).

I don't think the type of altar/influence matters (we used various altars in various influences - sometimes up to 3 simultaneous influences across the entire sermon), and BL/WL can do sermons together (although you will typically have to watch the BL alignment).

Personally I SB'd pretty much every sermon tick I ever did and the Journal entries all presumably worked as expected. I'll double-check this soon, but I'm fairly certain that's the case.

I never tested the sermon-giver's alignment validity when doing sermons, only the listeners', but long story short all participants avoided doing anything that could mess up their alignment between sermons. No saccing, heals, wood cutting, etc.

Assuming you're doing sermons as specified above then it ought to be working for you; potentially this could be a bug.

Basically sermons should work on maxed faith, BL/WL, any altar, any influence, and with SB on; it's just about the listeners' validity, distance, alignment ticks, and timers.

The only thing that I can think might be messing it up is maxed faith. I gave up on ever getting Benediction done a while back (global casts ain't gonna happen where I live), and therefore never bothered checking the Journal entry while doing sermons. Since the priests' sermon counts regarding Benediction would have been fulfilled before they got to max faith, I have no way of checking whether a sermon still counts (towards Benediction) at max faith.

You could test this by doing something naughty; just enough to knock her faith down so it's no longer 100. It's zero risk if she's already doing sermons. If she gets +1 sermon in the Benediction Journal entry under those circumstances, and not when her faith maxes again, then it's a bug.

Edited by Mowglia
Clarity