Sign in to follow this  
Wimblonian

Fix the Game Mechanics

There are all these lists of add this and add this and add this. But adding things is not fixing anything. A lot of these things aren't instant fixes, but that should be top priority over anything. Here's a list of things I find wrong, or useless in Wurm.

-Ballista's are quite useless except for decorations?

-Trebuchet's shoot way too fast for the amount of damage being dealt.

-Revert the PvP priest changes (I have come across way too many individuals that have stopped playing PvP due to the priest changes, and players that force themselves to play through this hoping it will be fixed).

-Go off the script, I'm sure the dev's have a list of planned and upcoming things they plan to implement. Throw 90% of those changes away, and figure out what needs to be priority.

-Staff need to quit censoring certain things because you don't like what is being said. If it's blatantly derogatory and for no reason, then for sure censor what needs to be censored. 

-Make an effort to fix the bugs that have been around for years. It's affecting the game and in a negative way. I know players have been reporting them left and right.

-We need to find a way to make the game more newbie friendly. It is easy to say it's quite easy to get 70 skill in a specific skill. And it's really not because without a priest you cannot have circle of cunning weapons to grind your skills faster, you have a 50ql sword, trash quality leather armor and basic tools. New accounts need something more.  Maybe have certain mobs drop enchanted tools and or weapons.

(300 totally in Wurm).   -The population is pretty darn low and anyone that has played for some years will tell you it's low, and half of these are probably alts.  And if the amount of accounts being sold doesn't say something about the direction this game is headed, I don't know what does. 

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

47 minutes ago, wipeout said:

I agree with 5 and onwards 

What other suggestions / issues do you see?

This will probably get me some more angry faces and curse words thrown at me but whatever

The staff need to actually do their job and i dont mean they arent now but at the rate things are created issues are fixed and so on all screams to volunteers who say "oh if i got a hour a month to work on wurm il do that if i feel like it" vs passionate people who love the game and are willing to invest their free time into it and spend countless hours on it, And if infact the devs are spending countless hours on it but nothing ever gets done then at this rate are they really worth having on the team? but if thats the case i can see why other people who applied to join the team where denied or ignored(I mentioned this in some more detail in a post not to long ago)

People are promised features and they are just not delivered with excuses given so simple solution, stop being a sean murray
Bridges are still buggy as hell resulting in many tickets from people to the gm team time and time again

People are discouraged to come forward with ideas because of https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/172294-retros-guide-to-suggesting-good-and-doing-other-stuff-real-good-too/ Which is just stupid no suggestion is a bad suggestion we should not feel bad for posting a quick thought up idea it should be encouraged as maybe andy posts a 5 min worth of thinking idea and then bob 3 months later gets the same idea finds the topic and expands on it and turns it into a proper designed idea but with posts like that you wont have andy posting it anymore and thus a lower chance that bob will do what he did

But most of all

Staff need to stop saying "it is impossible" on everything that requires a bit more effort then normal a good example "free flowing water" is a thing that is said to be impossible but in the past wurm was || close to getting it but due to rolf's hot temper it wasnt added or when idea's are brought up that are valid ideas then insane counter arguments are thrown at it to try and shut that great idea down

Oh and bring back old fishing and give all actions a keybind

• Like 4

The existing dev team works very hard on bugs, and some last longer and are deeper, despite multiple fixes still occur. It sucks, we don't want them there either. 

We've also experimented with ways of making skilling faster, epic, Jackal, all included different skillgain aimed at being more intuitive and faster actions, so we have been working on it. 

I think we are within our rights to say something isn't coming in, or isn't in the current technical limitations. So many ideas aren't going to be introduced. 

Also flowing water was just insane in server load, nothing to do with a temper. 

That said, we are working towards the same goals as you want, I know it's not as fast as you or we would like, but we assure you it's the same end 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Wimblonian said:

-We need to find a way to make the game more newbie friendly. It is easy to say it's quite easy to get 70 skill in a specific skill. And it's really not because without a priest you cannot have circle of cunning weapons to grind your skills faster, you have a 50ql sword, trash quality leather armor and basic tools. New accounts need something more.  Maybe have certain mobs drop enchanted tools and or weapons.

Yes and no....   starting out with decent stuff does not help.  It simply puts off the "make your own stuff to survive" until it's impossible to make stuff that's good enough to be useful without hours of work.

I'd much rather a tutorial help me craft my own ql5 stuff, and then be able to buff it up a bit in my first few hours of playing in whatever town I started in.

Don't start me with good stuff, show me how to get started with making my own usable stuff.

JS

Edit: The Journals might be a step in the right direction here...

Edited by Beretel
add the bit about journals
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Beretel said:

Yes and no....   starting out with decent stuff does not help.  It simply puts off the "make your own stuff to survive" until it's impossible to make stuff that's good enough to be useful without hours of work.

I'd much rather a tutorial help me craft my own ql5 stuff, and then be able to buff it up a bit in my first few hours of playing in whatever town I started in.

Don't start me with good stuff, show me how to get started with making my own usable stuff.

JS

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime"

• Like 1

I find the best newbie advice is to craft their own full tool set and imp them to 30ql ( it is possible cause with skill under 20 you imp as if you had 20skill).

When that is done,make a large cart and imp it also. Terraform and mine a bit and chop some trees, build a shack and maybe if needed imp that also.

Then you should be able to drive it if you are premed.

If not, go repair some low stone fences.

Edited by Cecci
typo

1 hour ago, Beretel said:

JS

I know I can speak for majority of players in mmo games that when they see a game that looks cool, a very select few want to go through a tutorial. They want to jump right in. 

55 minutes ago, Cecci said:

I find the best newbie advice is to craft their own full tool set and imp them to 30ql ( it is possible cause with skill under 20 you imp as if you had 20skill).

When that is done,make a large cart and imp it also. Terraform and mine a bit and chop some trees, build a shack and maybe if needed imp that also.

Then you should be able to drive it if you are premed.

If not, go repair some low stone fences.

As a newbie, they won't even know much of how the quality of an items effects the outcome of things. They'll eventually learn if we are able to get them to stick around for awhile.

• Like 1

As a new player, (With what I would assume is an un-biased opinion), I would like to comment on a few things that may turn a new player away, in relation to a few of the points here.
I play the game because I find it fun at a core level, looking into the future, etc. However, I really don't think that a lot of people are like that, and some things in this game take way too long that really shouldn't. For example, core characteristic skills such as Body Control that are essesntial to enjoying the game to it's full extent take days, if not weeks without the help of more expereinced players to train to a point of usefulness. That is one thing that has made it hard for me to get into the pvp scene, which I would very much like to do.
Another thing is the state of the ideas that are being implemented to the game by the devs versus the actual needs and wants of the community. Seeing this as a new person to this community has been confusing, and a little frustrating to see fellow noobs suggesting reasonable ideas and them being shut down in some way or another as being too risky or hard to implement. If this game is to retain new players they must be listened to and these many threads about suggestions and the like must be acknowledged, which they don't seem to be at the moment.

ADVERTISMENT! I found this game in notch's tumblr from 2011! I don't think people will really care about some game they saw on an mmo site from 7 years ago, and while I do understand that ads are expensive and can often end up where you don't want them, there must be something that can be done to help the population beyond just retaining existing players. 
Anyway, I hope that this has shone a light on what it's like for a new player. I might make a new post about the subject, so as not to deviate from this thread too much and because this comment is a bit all over the place.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Wimblonian said:

-Ballista's are quite useless except for decorations?

Yeah i even forgot these were a thing to be fair.

-Trebuchet's shoot way too fast for the amount of damage being dealt.

I think that the whole point of the Trebuchet is to be able to deal a lot of damage.

It requires a lot more setup than a catapult which you can pull out of a raid mine in a second, so i think its standing in a good place, expecially with how the defenders have the advantage either way.

-Revert the PvP priest changes (I have come across way too many individuals that have stopped playing PvP due to the priest changes, and players that force themselves to play through this hoping it will be fixed).

I think this is a misunderstanding on your part, and by 'your' i mean to say TC overall. 

When the pvp priest changes were first introduced you were able to almost oneshot somebody given enough spells casted at them at the same time, but this always had counterplay, you were always able to interrupt them, to move out of the way of the long casts, to tangleweave the people casting the spells.

A lot of people complained either way and got them nerfed even though a lot of other people kept saying how they are fine as is.

They were nerfed into the ground.

You went from a standpoint of being able to be oneshot by spells given the right scenario to this scenario being virtually impossible to produce.

In the last few months before the epic shitshow when we were fighting almost every week, you were not losing because of spells. 

Not one person died to spells, not a single one.

So i do not understand why you guys keep asking for spells to be nerfed once again.

Do you want them to be useless?

Why not ask for priesthood to be removed alltogether, see how people respond to that?

-Staff need to quit censoring certain things because you don't like what is being said. If it's blatantly derogatory and for no reason, then for sure censor what needs to be censored. 

I have seen this myself over and over again. The staff will not only remove any comment that is offensive or foul, they will remove anything their opinion collides with. For a long time, every comment i've seen where the dev/staff member is having a constructive argument with someone, and is losing that argument, they will either remove everything said or close the thread.

The censorship is on par with the Archeage APEX glitch censor. "Everything we dont like goes" . This is not ok. This needs to change. This needed to have changed a long time ago. Get a grip on reality people, your users are aware of these facts, and your poor judgement in the community management is one of the reasons many users have left.

-Make an effort to fix the bugs that have been around for years. It's affecting the game and in a negative way. I know players have been reporting them left and right.

Which bugs exactly?

I can think of a few ones, but they are not gamebreaking.

Which ones do you think are?

You see, without answering this question, you cannot demand " X " being fixed.

Yeah, SOTG needs to go. It is downright stupid that you need to grind meditation for 3 full months in order to be able to stand a chance.

Im sorry, it just needs to go...

(300 totally in Wurm).   -The population is pretty darn low and anyone that has played for some years will tell you it's low, and half of these are probably alts.  And if the amount of accounts being sold doesn't say something about the direction this game is headed, I don't know what does. 

It will only go downhill from here.

I myself stopped playing when they announced the Epic return being cancelled. That was a big bummer for me and many others.

And its just one of the times in which they've straight out lied you us.

• Like 1

I do agreed that some staffs or GMs can get out of line with players, due to their actions. I have seen some players were way over their heads and didn't get a warning and I did for reply, w/e was going on in the chat.

Yes there a lot of suggestions been made, I mention something back in August, doesn't look like they are interesting and had handful of supports. All I can say, just play as it is or find something else to do. Don't have to do things in the game over and over, get out explore and meet people.

I cannot say how the game will progress after it hit Steam, I know some of you players doesn't like it at all. Maybe they will throw in some achievement titles on Steam.

• Like 1

i would post constructive feedback from a players perspective with over 1k days of playtime but it would just get removed so im posting this nonsense instead

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Wimblonian said:

Trebuchet's shoot way too fast for the amount of damage being dealt.

I couldn't find any of your previous posts complaining about this back when you were constantly trebbing WU deeds.  Now that your deed is on the receiving end, there's an issue?  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gladiator said:

Yeah, SOTG needs to go. It is downright stupid that you need to grind meditation for 3 full months in order to be able to stand a chance.

Im sorry, it just needs to go...

Agreed and surprised they haven't removed this mandatory PvP ability with all the other PvP changes like priest and gear update they've made in the past.

Also should change weaponsmithing on par with other gear smithing.  Without knowing someone you can trust to imp your high valued enchanted weapons you're pretty much screwed unless you want to go through the insane grind of what WS is currently.

14 hours ago, Wimblonian said:

-Go off the script, I'm sure the dev's have a list of planned and upcoming things they plan to implement. Throw 90% of those changes away, and figure out what needs to be priority.

Can you point 10-20 of these individuals who have reported such pvp issues with the priest mechanics?

I'm also sure that devs have no time to fix stuff that isn't even reported to be broken to make time for such random things, like ''going off the script''

censoring.. ToS need to actually matter.. have some rules about posting and what's not welcome, "bad posts" get some bad 'karma' on the forum account.. and a temporary mute for certain time when a certain rank is reached.. 

Whenever a post gets deleted or modded - have a name written who did it and why.. logging the inappropriate work could help to deal with the trash - being random tos breaking or random rights used on a whim, etc.

Until a better system is implemented.. holes let bad things happen.

Unsure what bugs you mean, as you didn't bother to mention even 1.

NO need for such nonsense. New players can play the game and learn from their mistakes, you can not expect every newborn to be a king/queen, this is not single player game. Get in, make your name mean something, it's up to you, alone. It's a sandbox.. there are some limitations.. but nobody stops you to get enchanted tool, work of pay for it - IT'S PART OF PLAYING THE GAME.

I'm still waiting for the uniques fix that was promised after the quick fix workaround, so far no such, waiting...

pvpers .. keep quitting or converted to pve-ers completely and forgot about their past, I can't say I've seen reports for the broken things in pvp, as there aren't that many of them... pvpers love metas which is normal but .. gameplay broken, such things have to be reported to keep relatively even chances.. else you ruin your own entertainment once the opponent have more that that meta on their side. Leave that to just player numbers or skill.. easier to manage, unless you're in a small group and all you have is meta to count on.

Fix the bad metas that stop all pvpers from having fun and fair chance.

5 hours ago, Finnn said:

10-20 of these individuals

lol dude his whole kingdom had at most 30 people , i think you're asking for too much

8 hours ago, Galatyn said:

I couldn't find any of your previous posts complaining about this back when you were constantly trebbing WU deeds.  Now that your deed is on the receiving end, there's an issue?  

You mean when we were raiding with 4 people because 85% of TC quit because of the Sindusk update? Trust me, it was an issue then or you wouldn't have any deeds. 

5 hours ago, Finnn said:

Can you point 10-20 of these individuals who have reported such pvp issues with the priest mechanics?

I'm also sure that devs have no time to fix stuff that isn't even reported to be broken to make time for such random things, like ''going off the script''

censoring.. ToS need to actually matter.. have some rules about posting and what's not welcome, "bad posts" get some bad 'karma' on the forum account.. and a temporary mute for certain time when a certain rank is reached.. 

Whenever a post gets deleted or modded - have a name written who did it and why.. logging the inappropriate work could help to deal with the trash - being random tos breaking or random rights used on a whim, etc.

Until a better system is implemented.. holes let bad things happen.

Unsure what bugs you mean, as you didn't bother to mention even 1.

NO need for such nonsense. New players can play the game and learn from their mistakes, you can not expect every newborn to be a king/queen, this is not single player game. Get in, make your name mean something, it's up to you, alone. It's a sandbox.. there are some limitations.. but nobody stops you to get enchanted tool, work of pay for it - IT'S PART OF PLAYING THE GAME.

I'm still waiting for the uniques fix that was promised after the quick fix workaround, so far no such, waiting...

pvpers .. keep quitting or converted to pve-ers completely and forgot about their past, I can't say I've seen reports for the broken things in pvp, as there aren't that many of them... pvpers love metas which is normal but .. gameplay broken, such things have to be reported to keep relatively even chances.. else you ruin your own entertainment once the opponent have more that that meta on their side. Leave that to just player numbers or skill.. easier to manage, unless you're in a small group and all you have is meta to count on.

Fix the bad metas that stop all pvpers from having fun and fair chance.

And it's on the forums. I come across them accidentally all the time, imagine what I'd find if I actually looked. I veered across Rudie's profile this morning for example. And I'm not going to tell you the bugs because it would be explaining how to do them.  Samool has a full inbox of bugs that I have personally reported and sent videos of, I know WU has a bunch that they abuse too, so why don't you report them. And for the new players, when you were new it was much easier I can assure you of that.

2 minutes ago, Wimblonian said:

You mean when we were raiding with 4 people because 85% of TC quit because of the Sindusk update? Trust me, it was an issue then or you wouldn't have any deeds. 

And it's on the forums. I come across them accidentally all the time, imagine what I'd find if I actually looked. I veered across Rudie's profile this morning for example. And I'm not going to tell you the bugs because it would be explaining how to do them.  Samool has a full inbox of bugs that I have personally reported and sent videos of, I know WU has a bunch that they abuse too, so why don't you report them. And for the new players, when you were new it was much easier I can assure you of that.

Because I do not pvp in wurm, also do not track or care about these as I.. do not play on pvp maps.., none of that matters to me.
People who pvp need to start caring about their content and work on fixing that mess.
Waiting ain't helping anybody, people who pvp just end up leaving.

• Like 1

This is like.... Should we help the homeless, or help the rich and wealthy? 

We give the freedomers more because they already get everything they want and ignore the pvpers because they are not important 😂

On 11/30/2019 at 4:04 PM, Finnn said:

Because I do not pvp in wurm, also do not track or care about these as I.. do not play on pvp maps.., none of that matters to me.
People who pvp need to start caring about their content and work on fixing that mess.
Waiting ain't helping anybody, people who pvp just end up leaving.

And these bugs aren’t just pvp related bugs.