Sign in to follow this  
Thalius

Please remove all decay ticks for books kept on a bookshelf on deeded land.

So, I've been doing a lot of thinking about what I could do with my deed now that I am beginning to make some progress on building.  I have big plans, and among them is a personal library.  Or at least, a personal library was a part of the plans.  I learned today though that all books, no matter how they are stored (aside from maybe in magic chests), take damage and eventually rot away.  Putting together a personal library of player created content now feels like it would be a vast waste of time.  Man, could it have been fun though!

I did some searching on the forums and while I found this OP suggested in different threads where books came up, I could not find a suggestion specifically made for the removal of damage ticks to books kept on a bookshelf.

So, I am petitioning for the removal of damage to books that are kept on bookshelves. 

Bookshelves that are off deed would take decay, and maybe the books on them as well.  I could perhaps see all books still being protected on a bookshelf off deed, but once the bookshelves rotted away the books could be lost.  This would allow non deeded player homes to be able to keep and protect books as well as long as they keep the bookshelf in good repair.  All of that could mean the eventual loss of books that are not on a deed, but perhaps at a slower rate. 

At the very least though, I am petitioning for all books on a bookshelf to be protected from decay on deeded land.

Humbly submitted for consideration...
~TH~

Chief Hermit of Hermitage

Also- a link to a previous post where this subject came up. Some comments and other suggestions are well worth connecting to this OP, in my opinion. Books, and the writers that would love to make them, could use a little love from the game:

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 9

+1

Ancient manuscripts such as the Lindisfarne Gospels, The Book of Kells. and many more have survived centuries so why not books created in Wurm?

This would add to immersion as well as the possible creation of library buildings by well-read citizens. 

• Like 2

Please remove all decay ticks for books kept on a bookshelf.

ondeed

ok

+1

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spolmit said:

This would add to immersion as well as the possible creation of library buildings by well-read citizens. 

Absolutely, and exactly my reasons for making the request.

Soon they come up with some crazy book reserving mechanic that works as crazy as fishing or cooking and you need sh.t ton of stuff in order for it to work properly.

+1 for nodecay books.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Themystrix said:

Soon they come up with some crazy book reserving mechanic that works as crazy as fishing or cooking and you need sh.t ton of stuff in order for it to work properly.

+1 for nodecay books.

I'd be fine if nothing changes.  I know it is a grind, but I'm willing to do it if the work is not lost.  Paper and book making in the era the game represents was no easy task.  If they required treating the pages with a film of beeswax or something to create a quality book of some kind that took no decay, I'd be fine with that too. I just want books I make to remain if stored properly (on a bookshelf).

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 1

This has existed in a few iterations on the forums, mainly here:

Removal of page decay in books is the direction we'll be taken rather than complete removal of decay.  This means that maintaining the cover of books is important, and high ql books last better. If the book decays the pages will start damaging. 

This is how books lasted through the years too! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Removal of page decay in books is the direction we'll be taken rather than complete removal of decay.  This means that maintaining the cover of books is important, and high ql books last better. If the book decays the pages will start damaging. 

Fair enough compromise, I suppose.  Big library might be a lot of work at times, but manageable if only the books themselves take decay and can be repaired and ql improved.

Any chance to have a way to pinpoint well damaged books easily?

glow or something? Unlocked by reaching 50-70 papermaking... could allow a player to NOTICE damaged books below 30 effective ql(by making them glow.. yellow/orange/red or just 1 random color..?)

It's for convenience.. as true book keeper is bound to have 100+ books...
This is not that new.. as farming/forestry/etc.. already use similar technology.. letting players notice the status of a tile from distance based on their skill, this with books could be similar.. for 50 papermaking character could skilled only few books with low ql(high damage) with some glow, and more books for 70-90 papermaking char.. or could be a 10x skill levels stepping for additional book.. etc.. if that is accepted as solution to ease the maintenance of books...

• Like 1

Maybe when your skills are high enough you could inspect a bookcase and get a notification in the event tab saying that "there are some books in this case who's binding is beginning to wear" when damage on the book gets to a certain high point.  If you have a lot of bookcases, it would narrow down your search.

• Like 1

Pseudo-bump

On 11/28/2019 at 8:49 AM, Retrograde said:

Also through careful storage.  Books in shelves and chests have been further protected, so the damage goes "from the outside, in".  Pages in a book/codex, wrapped in vellum/oilcloth placed in a chest kept in a closed room last a very long time, and usually as you open each "layer" the next is better preserved.

Currently the actual paper pages in a book get no decay.  That's great, but a book should also get very little decay in a shelve or chest, and none at all in such storage in a deeded building. 

Wurm has a history worth preserving, but at present eats its own records.

EDIT:  Oh, and leather binding should be a thing to make more durable books than cloth.  Maybe make it a Large Book or even a Codex.

Edited by TheTrickster
leather binding
  • Like 2