Sign in to follow this  
Arishok

The Seafarer's QoL

• Allow deep keel ships to be "deed/flag" ships.
    • Only one per character.
    •  1s upkeep.
    •  Only decay reduction on interior items.
    •  Allows use of bed/forge/oven loaded directly into hold (not nested) and only when moored off-deed or x number of tiles from deed.
    •  Respawn point.
    •  Allow rowboat to be loaded

•  Allow gates/doors to be rented by hour/day/week/month
    •  Permissions can still apply to residents. (eg. allows animal tender to pass unimpeded).
    •  Highway rules still apply.
    •  on-deed only.
    •  landlord deeds adds to upkeep (king's fees)

•  Allow player settlements to appear on in game map
    •  Based off of number of citizens, and/or traffic count.
    •  Must meet certain criteria (active merchants, highway/port access, available beds, food merchants, altars, specific services)
    •  two week cycle to meet or lose qualifications. Voluntary opt-in.

•  Purchasable bartender "food merchant"
    •  Linked to a single larder located within x tiles.
    •  Can purchase liquid, by volume, from kegs.

•  Make it easier to purchase in game coin (from in-game) in varying increments (not just silver).
    •  Improve cost display in Traders, and Merchants. (make the hover over "1s 59c" be the default, and decimal be the tool tip.)
    •  Make the trade screen be more painfully obvious of what's going on.

•  Allow vehicles to be marked for sale.

•  Buildable docks.
    • Raise and lower anchor (not carry with you). Must have room in hold.

• Improve the "full bright" effect for light sources outside of illumination distance.
    • Too subdued in current manifestation.
    •  Make ports, towns, and lighthouses vibrant at night at distance.
    •  Increase flicker (random intensity changes).

• Like 5

I like every single one of these suggestions, but especially adding a "flag ship" that allows a player to basically live at sea rather than needing an on land deed area, buildable docks (that a ship can be tied off to, I would presume), and the bartender/food merchant.

Would enjoy seeing every one of these suggestions make it into the game though! 

• Like 1

I really like the 'deed flagship' concept.

Because a player's citizenship status cannot continue beyond the village's server, I would hope that the benefits of the flagship would remain active on whichever server it travels. The ability to sleep and respawn aboard ship would be most useful in that case.

• Like 1

I always dreamed of a life of a vagabond, sleeping in my ship.

Maybe require it to be caravels?

• Like 1

Some of these may be possible, I know the permissions system was intended to have a slip able to be created and sold for example. 

There's a lot of great ideas here, we'd like to introduce lots of these concepts however many of these are currently out of our scope, so don't expect them anytime soon

• Like 1

With regard to the specific idea of a "flagship", would it be possible to allow a deed owner to link a ship to their deed as their deed flagship? Not a ship that is a deed- rather a ship that is linked to an existing deed as that deed's flagship, so to speak.  Player could sleep/log out and re-spawn on their flagship, and decay on the player's flagship would be consistent with on deed decay mechanics.  Add an additional 1s to deed upkeep for each flagship assigned to it, or possibly allow only one flagship per deed at an additional 1s/month upkeep.  Perhaps require caravels for this, as previously suggested.

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 2

Linking a flagship to a deed might be problematic (in that ships can move between servers, and would it lose its flagship status on a different server).

A simpler solution might be to have a flagship built into character data, so that when the character moves servers, their flagship information would move with them.

It would inflate character files somewhat, but not in any overlarge sense.

I would definitely +1 the ability to live as a nomadic captain, just sailing across the map and the boat will be your home. If we had that initially i'd have probably went that route of living on my boat.

Even cooler would be the ability to "enter" the cargo hold of the ship and depending on boat size , from cog to caravel, you'd enter a 10x3 tile hold where you can manually place your stuff (forge, fsb, bsb, bed, crates, barrels, etc). It would essentially act like a 10x3 house.

I know this basically means instancing an object but it would just be for boats and it would be awesome to have that in wurm. I'd happily pay upkeep for that.

• Like 1