Sign in to follow this  
wipeout

why? why is the stronghold like this?

I am not sure what everyone expected here.  Different things, it seems.  Some want skill transfer to be way better.  Some want a big complicated stronghold.  Some want better skillgain.  Some want to be Alpha Male lol. I am fairly well into poverty.  All my extra money goes to this game, and yet, I don't feel like I am really paying a massive fee to play, considering what I get from it.  This looked like a beta test to me from day one.  The time we invested was invested by us - no one forced us, no one twisted our arms.  It isn't like the other servers were shut down and we could only play on Jackal.  All the devs promised us was a new server with different fun things.  They said we might get some skill transfer, but didn't say how much, and some skins.  No offense intended to the devs, but this game has never been number one for graphics or phenomenal smooth design.  It also does not hand us much.  How many years did folks have to plead to get a starter kit for noobs?  This is a hard game. This is a different kind of game than most out there.  It's why I play.  
We get out what we put into something.  For those who popped over hoping for skill transfer, that reason really isn't about experiencing jackal. It is instead about working to improve your own skills on a server that was openly advertised to be a community effort experience.  For those who came to have the experience the devs intended, I think we did.  I sure did.  I learned a ton.  I made new friends in the game.  I put a ton of effort and time into this server from day one, and got a ton in return for that time.  I don't need skill transfer or a big elaborate stronghold design to feel like this was worth it.  

What could have been done better? 

The mess up with going through the lodestones was a bad one. 

It would be nice to have something a bit more valuable or even sentimental from jackal than skins.  Not sure how those are going to really matter in the long run.  They will really only serve to make some people look cooler than others, which might encourage others to go play there, and might not. 

Some percentage of the beacons could have been a bit harder to force more cooperation to bring them down.

Skill gain could have been a tiny percent faster. 

I hope the stronghold battle is a long one and that no single group can take it down in a couple hours.  With all the different time zones, that would suck for people sleeping or working for that time. 

I also would like to see that anyone who settles an area and deeds it, that deed be put on a map that only shows greened areas.  But I don't know how hard that would be.  It would mean the devs would have to find those places on their map, and reveal the greened map each week as it grows.  It would also mean that the first map would essentially be the size of the starter area.  

I really appreciate Jackal and the time the devs put into it.  I am glad I was at the first one.  It has all been worth it to me.

• Like 3

On 11/26/2019 at 8:15 AM, atazs said:

Does anyone remember the short lived Challenge server? No? 

With the devs focusing on Steam, and Budda's departure, i can already see Jackal following it in it's footsteps.

Either way, we will be waiting at least a year until the next phase. And with it being Budda's pet project (him leaving was the reason it was unfinished) means that there's a high chance it will just simply fade away.

Pretty much. It's staggering how new content keeps getting pushed out instead of fixing underlying problems with existing systems. You can look at the road maps and compare what happened to what was planned.

What happened to the meditation rework?

What's the status of the new UI?

I remember something about a new cash shop... I think?

There's so much content already in the game. The next step is to refine it. Imagine how a new player interacts with the game when they first enter combat, knowing nothing about how it works. Combat could be so significantly improved with it's clarity - without fundamentally breaking the existing mechanics. Meditation has been a black mark for years and remains so, despite numerous great suggestion threads for how to improve it.

I agree with the move to Steam (might be hasty) but what comes after? Are we really going to designate time to getting another round of Jackal, or are we going to see improvements to the fundamental systems that affects all of the players instead of the ones who are currently participating on Jackal?

• Like 8
  • Cat 1

17 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

Pretty much. It's staggering how new content keeps getting pushed out instead of fixing underlying problems with existing systems. You can look at the road maps and compare what happened to what was planned.

What happened to the meditation rework?

What's the status of the new UI?

I remember something about a new cash shop... I think?

There's so much content already in the game. The next step is to refine it. Imagine how a new player interacts with the game when they first enter combat, knowing nothing about how it works. Combat could be so significantly improved with it's clarity - without fundamentally breaking the existing mechanics. Meditation has been a black mark for years and remains so, despite numerous great suggestion threads for how to improve it.

I agree with the move to Steam (might be hasty) but what comes after? Are we really going to designate time to getting another round of Jackal, or are we going to see improvements to the fundamental systems that affects all of the players instead of the ones who are currently participating on Jackal?

There was an idea for click and hold combat with mouse gestures a few years ago.

But I think we need a new hex based map.

On 11/25/2019 at 8:10 AM, bdew said:

I like that phrasing. In soviet wurm the party steps down you!

Precisely what happened comrade. He stepped down, zipped himself in a duffel bag that can only be closed from the outside and threw himself into the sea.

i did all the waves at the strongholds first thing, was in top 10 for points and got a single jackal point from a butchering tick that transferred

fear me

31 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

i did all the waves at the strongholds first thing, was in top 10 for points and got a single jackal point from a butchering tick that transferred

They should give you a title... "The butcher of blavsquarestronholdiken"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

fear me

how was the stronghold fight? i couldnt make it "sadly" enough

It felt a bit like the mobs were getting steamrollered.

The stronghold is a number of layers, so you only missed the first fight after the outer walls crumbled. The next layer will crumble in 217 hours from now, which I think is sometime around 11 Dec, 15:00/16:00 UTC.

The turrets have also re-spawned, so those who missed those will have another chance to get them.

No idea if the next layer also includes the central tower, or if the tower is another layer.

On 12/1/2019 at 9:29 AM, Oblivionnreaver said:

fear me

Lucky you I was beating you on the list and also butchered a bunch and .... no points at all

...I'm so very sure that I'll forget to be on Jackal when the last stronghold fight ends and I'll miss out on the points awarded there.

A kingdom on Chaos could have thrown out a better 'Stronghold' with their current numbers than what I see here. This project exhudes lazyness, not rush. 

My suggestion is in the future, let people test stuff and give their feedback pre release instead of trying to surprise people with shoddy, rushed work that will only piss off the community. You have a test server: use it! We could have told you long time ago this was going to fail.

And dont say "this had to be done live" like you've said before. No it didn't. People dont want 'surprises', they want good content.

• Like 2

hmmmm now I see why we do not have or get nice things, now I see all the suggestions we put forth are just swept into a dust pan and tossed. 

49 minutes ago, ArthurHawkwing said:

hmmmm now I see why we do not have or get nice things, now I see all the suggestions we put forth are just swept into a dust pan and tossed. 

It would take until the next iteration of Jackal to even see where the suggestions went.

On 12/10/2019 at 12:28 PM, Lisimba said:

It would take until the next iteration of Jackal to even see where the suggestions went.

They all all probably in Budda's satchel. He took them with him when he left.