Sign in to follow this  
Seriphina

Painting Timber Framed Walls

Thank you developers and graphics people who have brought us so far forward in our ability to paint things that the game can enjoy more depth and realism with the boats and furniture with dye channels that separate sections to be dyed/painted in different colors. That said, I feel an opportunity has been missed with the timber framed walls. Currently, the complete item being painted can look jarring and disjointed from the rest of the surrounding buildings of various types.

I suggest implementing the two-channel painting option for timber-framed walls where the stucco and wood portions are painted separately. I think this could lead to some very interesting and beautiful villages.

Imagine how lovely this could be with just the stucco painted for these buildings.  Since the wood would be unaffected, the timber framed would still blend well with the top of the stone walls.  What do you think? How could this option improve the depth and interest of your village?

0rSRk0q.jpg

Perhaps the same could be possible for the wooden walls also. Painting just the clapboard or just the trim pieces could make some really interesting buildings and barns!

bGKfFwW.jpg

Edited by Seriphina
  • Like 9

I want to sanction the person who painted these plank walls... that QL is terribly low, unless the idea for it was the look and more 'natural' yellow/orange/brown kind of wood texture....... hmm

hmm

but ok, makes sense until it doesn't, pretty sure there could be both good and bad applications of such feature.... certainly makes it easier to paint a tower/light house, whenever such fits the surroundings to not just stand out like Retro clothing choice, than you just look, don't point or beg for a copy, keep it classy.

fine
+1

I'm all in favor of more options for adding color and variations to our ability to decorate in game, especially when it comes to building.  Allowing the stucco and timber frame portions to be dyed independently would be a fantastic next step in that direction for building options, and it seems it would be an easy change to make with many creative benefits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

I want to sanction the person who painted these plank walls... that QL is terribly low, unless the idea for it was the look and more 'natural' yellow/orange/brown kind of wood texture....... hmm

hmm

The low quality was desired as I wanted a reddish tone but not RED for my barn. It's just warmer than the regular wood plank walls, intended as a subtle difference, especially since different wood colors based on wood type don't impact wooden walls.

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

but ok, makes sense until it doesn't, pretty sure there could be both good and bad applications of such feature.... certainly makes it easier to paint a tower/light house, whenever such fits the surroundings to not just stand out like Retro clothing choice, than you just look, don't point or beg for a copy, keep it classy.

The rich colors are absolutely possible and used, making the resulting painted walls extremely vibrant with both the stucco and wood painted. Next time I sail around I'll find an example. They can be very Retro's Armor.

Edited by Seriphina

Adding the masking to house walls has been something we'd like to see, just havent sat down and made it work yet. Maybe sometime soonish

• Like 3

If the models can get the right data (broken up into materials? masked?) then this should be easy to implement, with "Paint Frame" and "Paint Panels" options similar to the wood and sails options available for boats

• Like 1

Necroing this topic a bit since I was looking into how to do this and was surprised/sad that it isn't possible.

It would offer so many possibilities for more heavily customised buildings if we had more dye/paint channels. It would look amazing to be able to have colourful buildings and towns, but without the current weird wall dye system where the dye is applied everywhere equally.

Big +1!

• Like 4