Sign in to follow this  
MinorArchitect

Wurm on Ubuntu Linux

Does anyone know how to get Wurm to work on Ubuntu Linux? I downloaded and extracted the tar.gz from the website, ran the "Wurm Launcher", but all I get is the "Wurm Online" banner thing and that's it(sort of like the problem I have in this thread, but not on Windows.). Is there a special folder or something that I have to put it in? I'm new to Linux so any help would be greatly appreciated.

You could launch ./WurmLauncher from separate terminal, it will say which thing is missed.

On my Debian it works just fine, launcher did all work alone.

I have proprietary nvidia driver, not nouveau.

Good luck

Edited by Rikhist

I'm running Wurm on Linux Mint just fine. May well be you need some libraries, look here:

No need for Java install anymore with the new launcher - it is "embedded" similarly to WU

22 hours ago, Rikhist said:

You could launch ./WurmLauncher from separate terminal, it will say which thing is missed.

On my Debian it works just fine, launcher did all work alone.

I have proprietary nvidia driver, not nouveau.

Good luck

At first it wanted me to install canberra-gtk-module as well, so I did that but then It gave me this:

./WurmLauncher
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I looked it up, and apparently that means that the program is trying to access memory that I don't have access to. So I ran it with sudo and it downloaded the client and it seems to be working! I suppose this raises the question of why it got the segmentation fault, and If I will have to sudo the launcher every time. Thanks for the help, and if anyone could inform me about the last part, that would be great.

Cheers!

Edited by MinorArchitect
Made it better and actually informed myself first

4 hours ago, MinorArchitect said:

and If I will have to sudo the launcher every time

I don't have to, I have the launcher in my home directory and a shortcut to it on my desktop. No need for sudo.

+1 for home directory.  I'm on Xubuntu, and it only runs without sudo if it's run from that location (and maybe not the Downloads folder, because my install doesn't allow anything to run from that directory.  Ubuntu might be the same). 

7 hours ago, Sjarn said:

+1 for home directory.  I'm on Xubuntu, and it only runs without sudo if it's run from that location (and maybe not the Downloads folder, because my install doesn't allow anything to run from that directory.  Ubuntu might be the same). 

I do not know a lot about Ubuntu and its variations, but some distros mount /home as a noexec filesystem so  that no executables (shell scripts and commands though) can be started there. A SIGSEGV means that a process attempts grabbing memory outside of the allocated memory of the running process (a technique hackers are using for privilege escalation or data grabbing), maybe this is a side effect of running an executable from a noexec fs.  Usually I would have expected a EPERM or EACCESS though, but maybe some Java thing.

Does it change anything when you install Wurm e.g. under /usr/games/wurm-launcher with sudo, granting 755 access to that directory? It should be possible to invoke Wurm thean as any user on the box using the path   /usr/games/wurm-launcher/WurmLauncher.

Edited by Ekcin
typo