Sign in to follow this  
Meldichoir

Allow moored boats to be rotated

This is a very simple idea, so it has probably been suggested before:

Boats that are moored in place should have the option to 'Rotate'
(This would not defeat the purpose of mooring a boat as this would not include 'Push/Pull')

Boats that have been left sticking into the land can be unsightly, and they can badly detract from an otherwise pleasant view.  If boats could be rotated after being

moored, then not only could the captain more easily control the docking job, but also could any crooked boat be corrected by anyone concerned having to look at it.  It is

also a very realistic ability to have, because the anchor and mooring rope only secures a single point of the boat (upon which the boat pivots).  If an unmoored boat

can be freely pushed, then it should be freely rotated when moored.

Anyone who does not wish for their boat to rotate would be able to deploy a second mooring anchor to lock the rotation (by securing both ends of the boat).

Idea also makes it possible for trolls to rotate other's boats that way : /

--edit

No, I'm not using extra anchor so you can not rotate my boat.. rather keep it as it is.. come up with not-more work for me.. and ocd solution for you, and I'll agree, this only creates a new problem, from non-existing one to begin with

Edited by Finnn

55 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Idea also makes it possible for trolls to rotate other's boats that way : /

Well, that sure would be some pretty weak trolling.

55 minutes ago, Finnn said:

come up with not-more work for me.. and ocd solution for you, and I'll agree, this only creates a new problem, from non-existing one

Once you have 50+ random strangers' boats on your deeds, then come back and say it's a "non-existing" problem. If anybody with actual OCD were trying to live in my environment, their head would spin off.

I noticed a new arrival yesterday... that was when I had the idea to make this suggestion.

A very common sight:

dock-job.jpg

Sometimes the boats are not moored, and so I can straighten them out myself.  This suggestion is motivated by the desire to make my area more presentable.

The only difference between these parking jobs and actual trolling is simply intent.  These boat captains who park like this produce the same result as the trolls that you imagine.

4 hours ago, Meldichoir said:

Once you have 50+ random strangers' boats on your deeds,

You can ask a GM to move them outside deed for you :)

As a deed owner you should be allowed at least in your perimeter to rotate and push everyones ships however you like. After all, its 'your' lands.. Kinda. But, none of this should be allowed if its not in perimeter or deed. Call GM to help you out. 

• Like 1

Well I definitely do not want to evict these boats from my harbors, and I am more than happy to have them stay docked until their owners' return.  They are welcome to enjoy the reduced-decay of deed parking.  After all, these locations are clearly indicated as public harbor space, and this is the most immediate waterfront for the Glasshollow spawn.

GMs did help us a couple years ago when we expanded further into the water (while preparing for our impalong), and I was very grateful that they moved the boats to the new edge of the land rather than the edge of the deed.  But I have always heard that GMs will only ever move an old vehicle to the edge of deed, and so I am hesitant to ask for that kind of service again.  I feel that it might look worse to see a cluster of old sinking boats clumped over in the corner,  instead of the way it looks with some parked boats jutting into the land.

So, considering that boat removal is already an option for deed owners (by GM action), I would at least like the option to simply rotate-in-place any boats on my own deed.  That way I could easily maintain the visual neatness of all the docks, without having to hassle the GMs about it, and the owners can rest assured knowing their boats are waiting where they left them.

sailing boat is indeed a "professional anchor work", as for the knarr.. unsure if s/he was drunk or just didn't care, probably the latter.

Edited by Finnn
added some ""es