Sign in to follow this  
Thalius

Ice Fishing...

I'd like to offer a simple addition to the game- Ice fishing.  Not sure how complicated it might be to enact this, but it sure would be fun to have it.  Something a little different to look forward to in the winter months. ;)

• Allow small lakes and small bays on larger lakes to freeze over in the winter time.  No ice at sea or in tunnels.
  • Do not allow any vehicles or animals to be ridden out onto the ice. Player walks out on foot, cuts a hole, sits down and fishes.
  • Player cuts a hole in the ice with a hatchet or axe
  • Player fishes using a pole.
  • Player sits down when fishing, and fishing is done largely afk, a lot like the old fishing system sounds like to me. (I was not in the game for the old fishing system, but it sounded pretty afk simple).
  • Increased chances to catch certain species of fish when ice fishing, and maybe add a new species just for winter ice fishing.
  • Allow camp fires to be built on the ice surface.  Maybe have fishing holes freeze over faster if no campfire is built in a neighboring tile. 
  • If the devs felt up to it, add an ice fishing shanty to the game- built using light weight materials.
  • A structure comprised of wood shaft frame tied together with rope and covered in animal hides to block the wind, for instance, that resembled a teepee or a small yurt.  Maybe have options to suit player's differing taste (We all like options in such things ;) ).
  • A small campfire should be able to be built within it. 
  • Ice fishing holes would never freeze over when covered in an ice fishing shanty. 
  • Players could secure them for use over the winter, allowing for supplies and harvested fish to be stored there during the season.
  • Any ice shanties left on the ice when spring arrives disappear,  and anything left in them falls into the lake and begins decaying. 
  • Ice fishing shanties should be collapsible like a tent (though much heavier). 
  • They could be loaded in a large cart or wagon for transport.

Just an idea I've been thinking on a bit. A search on the forums did not turn up anything when I looked for "ice fishing", so I'm not sure if this has been suggested before. Either way, I'd love to pause everything in the brief winter spell and travel to the nearest small lake or bay and throw up an ice fishing shanty for a week of ice fishing and other shenanigans during Wurm's wintry season.

Humbly submitted...
~TH~

Hermit of Hermitage

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 4