phennexion

Skill Transfer Rate.. Sucks? (Poll)

Does the skill transfer rate suck? (poll)  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Does the skill transfer rate suck?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't play on Jackal but I want to voice my opinion.

'Sucks' is too strong a word for how I feel about the skillgain transfer. I did not go to Jackal for skillgain.  I went for the personal experience of being there.  I found it to be fantastic but saw it much like a dream, as if my toon was dreaming and then would wake up on freedom. Maybe a fevered long magical Jackal influenced sleep.  But when we dream, while we may learn things or even do things that are skill based that we don't do in real life, we don't wake up suddenly knowing how to do them. We might learn this or that, but not 60 skill points worth of learning.  I also think that skilling is not the point of Jackal.  Wurm is truly an RPG for me, and I am heavy into the Role Play aspect, and the whole feeling of being someone else, somewhere else, with other really fun people.  It is the first goal based thing I have done in Wurm, where the goal was created by someone other than me, and I love it as much as I love freedom and epic and chaos.  I love wurm.  Yeah, the transfer could be better. But the devs made a really fun and beautiful hostile place for us to play in, and that is a much greater gift to me than whatever skillpoints I have later.  I have really awesome memories.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nirav said:

I did not go to Jackal for skillgain.  I went for the personal experience of being there.

Fair enough but could you please tell us if your mere presence was enough to close jackal beacons build freedom one and open the fortress?

Because if it is not then you and other people there must have put in the time and effort to raise those skills needed. And if they do that you think is unreasonable to expect to keep a large portion of them as if they could keep 100% of it if they would have played on freedom and waited for their meere presence to be enough to complete the objectives of jackal?

Do not think i am missing your point, there is life without having to grind grind grind all day.. there is.. but there are no results without grind.

And if you have to put in the work you should be able to feel rewarded just as you can if you put in that work on freedom.

Cipacadrinho, that was very snarky and uncalled for.  My fight skill is 75 and I had a direct hand in not only taking down a considerable number of beacons, but scouting beacons and organizing most of the beacon fights for my alliance.  I have built and imped freedom towers all over the server, and settled out west before anyone else did.  I have worked about 8 hours a day on jackal and sometimes more.  The grind here was real.  You actually did completely miss my point by quite a ways.  I did not go to Jackal for the skillgain.  I went to jackal to give my best to the war effort.  And I do feel very rewarded for that.  Because I did a ton to help with the war effort and made a ton of friends in the process.

Edited by Nirav
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Nirav said:

Cipacadrinho, that was very snarky and uncalled for.  My fight skill is 75 and I had a direct hand in not only taking down a considerable number of beacons, but scouting beacons and organizing most of the beacon fights for my alliance.  I have built and imped freedom towers all over the server, and settled out west before anyone else did.  I have worked about 8 hours a day on jackal and sometimes more.  The grind here was real.  You actually did completely miss my point by quite a ways.  I did not go to Jackal for the skillgain.  I went to jackal to give my best to the war effort.  And I do feel very rewarded for that.  Because I did a ton to help with the war effort and made a ton of friends in the process.

Feel free to not expect skill transfers then, just i am free to expect skill transfers.

And a simple glance at the numbers of players active in jackal shows that alot of people were disapointed with the skill transfers so they stopped playing.

How can you be so smug to think that if you dont care about retaining a significant portion of the skills there then everyone else who do, are wrong.

Came to Jackal to try a new experience...  for the challenge of stronger enemies and having nothing.  I wanted to see teamwork again and people cooperating.  The skills are irrelevant because we are gaining them way faster than you ever could on freedom, a high rate of transfer would mean you gained more than you put in the effort for, basically stealing.  If you seriously came here for no reason other than to gain skills with expectation of it 100% transfering back then those people should have never left freedom because we were told from the start that there would be a small amount of skill transfer back to freedom.  At no point did they say it would be significant or equal to the same gains as if you had stayed on freedom.  I would 100% do this again if there was 0 skill transfer, and i would still hope for 3x more enemies, half as much skilling rate, and a much more team based play style.  For what Jackal was hyped up to be I would say it turned out far to easy.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 10:17 PM, Xandice said:

Came to Jackal to try a new experience...  for the challenge of stronger enemies and having nothing.  I wanted to see teamwork again and people cooperating. 

I also wanted to see and experience this part of it. As a vet of over 20 years playing MMOs, there's nothing that quite beats the experience of a new game. With Jackal, we have a new server with new rules and features, not quite a new game, but I was excited to play Wurm when I read about Jackal. I told every gamer I knew. And Jackal was indeed a lot of fun. Just like on a new game, where everybody is racing, you could feel the same sort of race with the grinding and seeing all the structures being put up around the start point in Jackal. It was fun. Soon we got hit with the bad skill transfer rate though, I suspect the rate betrayed the expectations of a lot of Jackal players, the pole suggest 80% of Jackal players felt betrayed. 

All games get old. Every game gets saturated with skilled players, what happens with the games that still retain enough popularity to keep going - is that the bar keeps getting set higher in the form of expansions/level limit increases. However, some games have a built in skill cap or they don't want/can't keep going with updates, and we get a "surplus" of skilled players, with nothing to do. This is undoubtedly a problem for the devs, and I suspect they don't want to see too many players hit that ceiling for their skills sooner than later. They don't want any more skilled players on freedom, there's already too many skilled characters with who knows how many inactives, they likely already see it as a problem. It gets more and more inaccessible for new players to play on the freedom cluster, from a new player perspective there's no excitement in joining freedom - who wants to be a pissant among giants? They would rather invest their time in a new game where when they reach a high level, other will still be playing so they can do that content.

However the 1hour:1hour skillgain on Jackal, does not neccessarily exacerbate the problem. For awhile I actually thought that Jackal would be their solution, new players could get skilled, while playing on a server with "Equal ground" among everybody. Not a fast track, but an equal tradeoff for time spent - now this is just an estimate for the sake argument - if it took a player 100 hours to get from 0-50 on freedom in mining skill, and it took 100 hours to get to 0-70 in mining on jackal, then I think 100 hours of grinding should transfer equally, the player spent 100 hours grinding, he should be rewarded with 100 hours - 50 mining skill on freedom. Since when does 100 hours equal 10 hours, who wants to be paid 10% for doing the exact same thing? Is it really a problem that new players go through a gauntlet of six months on Jackal and end up with fairly decent characters on freedom afterward? Why so?

Another side of the argument against equal skill is that already skilled players are gaining more skills in a fun environment, since it's so fun, they will play much more and they shouldn't deserve equal skill gains for their time, why though? What's the problem here? So my 60 weapon smithing that has been sitting stagnant for years might be 70-80 after grinding 12 hours a day on jackal for six months, maybe 300-400 hours worth on ws alone, I think one deserves that substantial skill gain, to put in 100 hours and see 60ws go to 60.20 or some rubbish is a slap in the face. I don't see it as a problem, all games march toward the end game, if you can get more active players, it's only natural you end up with more skilled players. To just delete everything after 6 months, it kind of defeats the purpose of what playing MMOs are. People like gathering junk and seeing those skills go up, it makes them feel accomplished. The numbers are a nice way of quantifying the time and effort we spend in game. The items we gain are nice mementos we can see.

I play another game that's pretty much dead, 5-6 people on at peak times. Recently a diabolical gm went on a banning spree of skilled players, I am only speculating here, but this GM spent a lot of time online and really wanted to revive the game, he saw the skilled players as a sort of rich population that was suppressing the poor, namely newbies, the game was recently put on steam but this did not help the population much, I suspect he thought getting rid of the skilled players might help. The skilled players are not really in sight though, as one of those that got suspended, the question of whether I should care if nearly 15 years of gaming history got erased, even if the game is likely to die, came up. I still logged in from time to time to play and skill up my character, usually my alts, I just enjoy playing the game for nostalgia, but I tell you, there was no way in hell I was going to continue to play on a lesser just for nostalgia though if I knew my newly built characters would just get erased.

The transfer rate is so bad on Jackal, that it's not worth considering when you play on it, so if you ask me if I want to play on Jackal the next round just for the sake of fun, then no, I would pass. I want to be able to gain something playing, there's a value in skills and items, even if they get so saturated they're virtually worthless, it's still something I would want to see progress. The jackal pts and skins are a nice sentiment, but there definitely needs something more. As someone who still managed to put in 4-5 hours on a workday while getting 6ish hours of sleep, and 40+ hours on wurm while working 40+ hours in a week, whatever incentives and fun you got on Jackal now, did not entice me to renew my subscription. I was very gung ho at the start, I talked close friends to join in at the start, about how we'd castles and close up beacons on the frontlines, we ended up closing maybe 10 beacons and making a lot of "functional" buildings, none of us renewed though, the skill transfer was really too disappointing. We thought we'd get skilled or more skilled characters afterwards, what we would do with them? Probably nothing, we probably would have wandered around a bit looking at those shiny high numbers, but probably not engaged in freedom, just as we have the past five years. But what's the problem in that? If there's a few more skilled players that don't even play, whats the big deal? If the skilled get more skilled and there are a few more skilled players that do play? So what?

Edited by Maina
  • Like 1