Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 091

28 minutes ago, Wonka said:

If your code is so difficult to read that it's quicker to start over, then your code is bad and you should fix it.  Documentation, good naming, good layout, etc.

Which it sounds like the new wu mod api will be a step towards.

Naturally, I'm talking about reading others' code, if it wasn't apparent. Reading my own code is of course like reading my own thoughts, but everyone thinks differently. Here, take this school book example of the LZW algorithm: http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/rbf/BOOKS/PHILLIPS/cips2edsrc/LZW.C It's well documented, and very well written classic C code. I've made a few implementations of LZW in a few different languages, and find it easier to just grasp the concept of the algorithm and write the code from scratch, than to edit parts of the original code, but perhaps that's just me.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 3:07 AM, Retrograde said:

We'd be alright if the wind was(not) in our sails!

could we also be able to attach the mooring anchor to a slot on boats that allow the option to raise or moor without the anchor going into our pockets and weighing us down (QL of life addition with the sails furling)

P.S. 

we need a tricorn "Pirate" hat lol :) 

• Like 7

Woot! Finally. The ability to raise and lower sails. As someone who loves everything related to water and ships in Wurm, this is wonderful news. Looking forward to it!

The planters will be fun as well. Can't wait.

Great work as always, developers!

Valdor

With the sails furled, we'll have enough room on the boats for the new planters. I say planters on boats! Please?

• Like 1

So do we get sun lamps with the underground planters? My experience with caves is that is no light there. 🤨

• Like 1

Bio-luminescent fungi should provide all the light we need.

Bioluminescence-Fungi-2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

20 hours ago, leander said:

could we also be able to attach the mooring anchor to a slot on boats that allow the option to raise or moor without the anchor going into our pockets and weighing us down (QL of life addition with the sails furling)

P.S. 

Please this. I've never used anchors because i always forget to take it from invetory...

22 hours ago, leander said:

P.S. 

Tricorn is really a win win here.  

On 11/13/2019 at 11:23 PM, Retrograde said:

Rest assured, these planters will work above ground AND in buildings. Their restriction is 1 per tile so go nuts! 

Relevant question: do beehives work only in a 2D plane?  Or would they pollinate a 3D voxel sphere?

Just trying to figure out how many hives the vertical farm will need....  🐝🐝🐝

Likely only 2d, and I'm not sure if they will be checked for pollination 

15 hours ago, Hanel said:

So do we get sun lamps with the underground planters? My experience with caves is that is no light there. 🤨

9 hours ago, Muse said:

Bio-luminescent fungi should provide all the light we need.

Bioluminescence-Fungi-2.jpg

i offer a suggestion for the cave lighting issue earlier in this thread, just an idea i had 

On 11/13/2019 at 7:58 PM, leander said:

perhaps a light source of some sort would improve ql, or even without makes the vegs 'white', maybe the ability to plant fruit trees, or mushrooms.... idk so many options tho still love it.  i also agree about making them usable above ground.

• Like 1

We'll be hand waving and just put it down to wogic that they work fine without it. 

Requiring light sources and such would be extra work for the same result as current. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

We'll be hand waving and just put it down to wogic that they work fine without it. 

Requiring light sources and such would be extra work for the same result as current. 

Thank you for not giving in and making it something insanely hard and difficult ;)

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

tbh i was just being "extra" about the planting boxes, i am super excited about them, and love the idea.  i am however serious about the anchor slot on boats......... and pirate hats ;)  

9 minutes ago, leander said:

and pirate hats ;)  

pirate sails as well...... SHIP SKINS!!!! man, that would be epic .... figure heads for caravel etc, cannons???? i would love to shoot my own house from a distance, but i guess thats a bit too much asked.... lets stay on ship skins :)

Edited by Themystrix
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Themystrix said:

pirate sails as well...... SHIP SKINS!!!! man, that would be epic .... figure heads for caravel etc, cannons???? i would love to shoot my own house from a distance, but i guess thats a bit too much asked.... lets stay on ship skins :)

I fear it is .. but I would love ship mounted artillery too .. :)

See... that's how it works. They introduce raising and lowering sails and next thing you know, people want to add planter boxes on them, anchor slots and mounted artillery. And we don't even have the sails going up yet! 😀 

That's why we can't have nice things!!  😁

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Valdor said:

See... that's how it works. They introduce raising and lowering sails and next thing you know, people want to add planter boxes on them, anchor slots and mounted artillery. And we don't even have the sails going up yet! 

i agree while the ideas are awesome and would be cool to see cannons and planters on boats are a bit much.  I also love the idea for pirate sail, skins, or even flags but that's for another forum post all together.  However i stand by the idea that the anchor slot either a craftable like the fish keeper or just an update to the boat code, is quality of life addition that would make seafaring just that little bit better.   I know having to have your inventory open and the anchor selected then clicking the boat to moor, and currently with the wind-speed always affecting the boat (soon to change) if you don't hit it just right parking and mooring is just flat out frustrating including the need to disembarking and push the boat around.  Furthermore if a persons inventory is full when embarking and raising the anchor (this happens on row/ sail boats more often than anything ive noticed) it gives the inventory and weight restriction warning, and will not allow a person to raise the anchor without having to drop things, and if the boat is full the person will not be able to pick those items they had to drop back up because the anchor wont fit into the boat.  So to improve this the idea is to have a slot on the boat you can put an anchor in, so all a person has to do is click the boat and have the option to moor or raise anchor automaticly in the menu..........oh and a dyeable tricorn hat😁

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Valdor said:

See... that's how it works. They introduce raising and lowering sails and next thing you know, people want to add planter boxes on them, anchor slots and mounted artillery. And we don't even have the sails going up yet! 😀 

That's why we can't have nice things!!  😁

"That's 2022 content.. being able to live on your boat.. collecting rain water, gardening, fishing, crafts.. decorating rooms on the boat and so on? No? Well the year after that than!"

• Like 3

On 11/15/2019 at 7:09 PM, Sidereal said:

Relevant question: do beehives work only in a 2D plane?  Or would they pollinate a 3D voxel sphere?

Just trying to figure out how many hives the vertical farm will need....  🐝🐝🐝

I thought hives can't go in buildings regardless.

9 hours ago, leander said:

However i stand by the idea that the anchor slot either a craftable like the fish keeper or just an update to the boat code, is quality of life addition that would make seafaring just that little bit better.

Yeah, an anchor slot would be a really good idea.

7 hours ago, Seriphina said:

I thought hives can't go in buildings regardless.

Hives collect from surrounding tiles.. I don't know of a limitation that forces you to not put them indoors... probably they should work as long there are 1-2/+ tiles around with grass/trees/farm land, BUT.. there could be an easter-egg to this, so .. expect the unexpected if you try it. (I had for 24hours several active and noisy hives, 24 hours later they were all empty(de'd-ed))

As long you keep some sugar in the hives.. in a building they should be fine... but the timing when they eat.. could surprise you, like my wagon hives that I had for improving of the QL and kept in it overnight to complete on next day.. all had sugar in them but apparently NOT enough, enclosing them apparently triggers their appetite OFTEN.

To be on the safe side.. and not make it an ant-farm and a feeding duty job(providing sugar to keep them alive) try 1 in a house.. if you have grass/tree/farm near the house.. having the ql of the hive at QL75 I think.. gives the hive a 10tile range or close to that... it's explained on the wiki if you want exact numbers.. as greens around the construction keeps them alive... you could hoard a few rare/supreme/fantastic indoors for the animation and shiny looks.

I hate to complain, but the removing updates from WU really concerns me. Not as a player, I only dip in occasionally, but as a business decision. The game that players absolutely have to pay to play and (at least if my alliance is anything to go by) is becoming increasingly popular at the expense of WO, is now being abandoned by the developers? Mods are great, don't get me wrong, but IMHO there are some things that just have to be done by devs. If I was a regular WU player I'd be very upset right now. I want to see WO and WU continue and grow, but this seems to me to be a very short sighted decision. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Also, we're getting spotty sheeps soon, right?

• Cat 1