Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 091

4 hours ago, Eyesgood said:

Wurm Unlimited (WU) is THE direct competitor to Wurm Online Steam (WOS) when it goes live.  Of course they are going to throw WU under the bus so that WOS makes money for them.  I think WOS can be seen as literally a Steam reboot for the new owners of the Wurm IP and so it makes sense they would cease content updates for WU.  Think of WU as Steam version 1 and WOS as version 2.  It was inevitable.

Maybe. Not sure I agree. Just because it's a practice with some big business doesn't make it something to be just shrugged off.  But the pertinent point for me is that the promises were made anyway, in the face of all the questions in the beginning about the possibility of this very thing happening eventually. And for me, drowning unwanted puppies is reprehensible and won't be forgiven.

Sure, we always knew that "some" features would be held back as "Wurm Exclusives."  That's fine, and was stated at the beginning.  But the promise being broken was that WU would always continue to get graphical updates, bug fixes, and "most" new features.  WU was to be the sister game, not the unwanted puppy tied into a bag and tossed in the river.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Amadee said:

Maybe. Not sure I agree. Just because it's a practice with some big business doesn't make it something to be just shrugged off.  But the pertinent point for me is that the promises were made anyway, in the face of all the questions in the beginning about the possibility of this very thing happening eventually. And for me, drowning unwanted puppies is reprehensible and won't be forgiven.

Sure, we always knew that "some" features would be held back as "Wurm Exclusives."  That's fine, and was stated at the beginning.  But the promise being broken was that WU would always continue to get graphical updates, bug fixes, and "most" new features.  WU was to be the sister game, not the unwanted puppy tied into a bag and tossed in the river.

wurm is like 7-8years late for steam

5 hours ago, Kasumi said:

This looks great! Please allow them on the surface too!  

For anybody who's ever seen my sailing / trying to moor I greatly need this, thank you!  :P

Very old, but personally one of my best mooring jobs ever.....

Hide contents

3o5loFO.jpg?1

I see your parking job and raise you one.

dghYynf.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Retrograde said:
Edited 29 minutes ago by Saroman

Probably "best content this year", well even if not right, a straight 10 with these 2x sails and cave farming additions, added points for Retro's post being fixed by Saroman, dam' typos :D

To cut down on clutter within the UI the health/stamina bar will also be compacted, showing CCFP and sleep bonus when moused over 

WnwZz6B.gif

Unsure how to .. huh, idk just hope it's possible to show the full view all the time somehow... as it shows information.. how else to track the 36000 to 1-2-3 seconds of your sleep bonus if you cant see it, pointing over it to expand.. will be weird..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ecrir said:

They'd just be shooting themselves in the foot. Just imagine that there is a really popular mod and the modder quits, dies, whatever. He's gone and since it's obfuscated nobody else can easily make a fork and continue the work. Good way for the modders to kill their own modding scene in the long run.

Sounds like you cringed heavily at the possibility of WO no longer benefiting from WU mod code.  Let me flip that around, and cringe as a WU player at CC's decision but using your terms:

WO should make the game open source or they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.  Just imagine if the game gets really popular and staff quits, dies, gets higher-paying jobs, whatever.  They'd be gone and since it's currently obfuscated nobody else can make a fork and continue the work.  Good way for Wurm devs to kill their own game's scene in the long run.

Naaah, if WU is so unprofitable, CC doesn't need even our mods.  If CC really needs our mods to the point where modders obfuscating their code would be bad for WO players, then maybe they should give us our updates as promised in the first place.

• Like 1

*snip* doublepost, my bad.  I blame Puchi.

Edited by Mordraug

I can't think of any circumstances where mod code has been used, ideas have been used both ways, and many popular mods started as suggestions on the forums, but I don't think we've ever taken mod code and put it straight in, there's a totally different function for us. 

Obfuscating mods would only hurt other modders and the modding community. 

This whole aim is to work with the modding community and provide the support they need to make the content they want to see in the game, WU has always been about personal freedom on small private servers, I don't see this changing that. 

• Like 4

Looking forward to the planter boxes for growing things underground! 

I want to echo a few comments with regard to planter boxes though- Please make them usable above ground and in buildings.  This could allow for some rooftop gardening, for example.  Very handy in a castle type deed for instance, when the castle takes up most of the deed building space.  Also, please allow trees to be planted in planter boxes for ornamental purposes, though I would think trees would be kept to a smaller stage- mature at the very most.

• Like 2

As a programmer I'd say that source code has nearly no value without the coder writing it. Reading someone's code is sometimes more difficult than writing the code from scratch, if there are complex equations and many nested layers of recursive functions involved, for example. Just try and understand a really complex regex, it's faster just writing a new. Using the code could be fine if it's well written, then just change a variable and anything could break. Then add to it that mods are using code injections, why would devs use code injections? Good ideas on the other hand, those can have great value, and you don't need coding skills to have good ideas. So, if you have awesome ideas, just keep them to yourself and let everyone suffer. I'd never obfuscate code, unless for the art of obfuscating, or nerdy things like esoteric programming languages, I've written a few. On the contrary, I'd like to share more code, I'm just embarrassed it's so badly written, and don't have so much time to publish and keep it updated with fixes etc. It's a lot of work.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Retrograde said:

They don't need sunlight, but that's wogic for you! 

perhaps a light source of some sort would improve ql, or even without makes the vegs 'white', maybe the ability to plant fruit trees, or mushrooms.... idk so many options tho still love it.  i also agree about making them usable above ground.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, faty said:

Farming underground is a nice update.

https://i.imgur.com/7yUvZwA.mp4

WnwZz6B.gif

Gif's work from imgur (or any image for that matter) if you right click and copy the image address, the other one is an mp4 and it doesn't seem to have support for preview on the forum

Actually mp4 does have preview support on the forum(i used one the other day) the only thing that doesnt is gifv because the forum doesnt recognize them as a gif or a video yet

As for some of the new stuff yaaay and glad to see you guys are atleast going to give proper mod support before fully signing off on WU ❤️

Edited by wipeout

I could really use those gardening boxes on some of my flat roofs.   If possible pretty please allow them not only above ground but also "indoors" for rooftop placement.

• Like 2

Rest assured, these planters will work above ground AND in buildings. Their restriction is 1 per tile so go nuts! 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

Rest assured, these planters will work above ground AND in buildings. Their restriction is 1 per tile so go nuts! 

does this mean we can make super efficient 13 story vertical farms?

wurm has entered the modern era finally

• Like 5
  • Cat 1

Just now, Oblivionnreaver said:

Does seem to be saying that exactly ya

2 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

If you mean efficient as in having to climb multiple levels and lose out on tending bonuses instead of simply farming tiles, sure 

3 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

If you mean efficient as in having to climb multiple levels and lose out on tending bonuses instead of simply farming tiles, sure 

832 tiles of an 8x8x13 at 97+ farming? think you can loose the tending bonus

The few farmers i know dont tend anymore anyway they just plant and use bee's and harvest when ripe and get such huge insane quantities its crazy even without tending

• Like 2

Yeah but you're an edge case nut. 

Though I feel most wurmians are 🥜

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Yeah but you're an edge case nut. 

Though I feel most wurmians are 🥜

❤️ love you too retro and aye all long term players are weird like us

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Would it hurt to give this information in the original post? Also would be nice to know if it works exactly the same as if it were actual farm spot, so you can tend it as well to give more yield. Or is this against some policies that you guys love just to keep players begging for information?

I dont understand why you guys want to keep everything as a secret because its gonna be asked pretty much instantly or reported as a bug. 

Give the proper details when you introduce stuff... We can say its a new QoL thing. Thanks! 

Edited by Themystrix
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Tenniel said:

As a programmer I'd say that source code has nearly no value without the coder writing it. Reading someone's code is sometimes more difficult than writing the code from scratch, if there are complex equations and many nested layers of recursive functions involved, for example. Just try and understand a really complex regex, it's faster just writing a new. Using the code could be fine if it's well written, then just change a variable and anything could break. Then add to it that mods are using code injections, why would devs use code injections? Good ideas on the other hand, those can have great value, and you don't need coding skills to have good ideas. So, if you have awesome ideas, just keep them to yourself and let everyone suffer. I'd never obfuscate code, unless for the art of obfuscating, or nerdy things like esoteric programming languages, I've written a few. On the contrary, I'd like to share more code, I'm just embarrassed it's so badly written, and don't have so much time to publish and keep it updated with fixes etc. It's a lot of work.

If your code is so difficult to read that it's quicker to start over, then your code is bad and you should fix it.  Documentation, good naming, good layout, etc.

Which it sounds like the new wu mod api will be a step towards.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Themystrix said:

Would it hurt to give this information in the original post? Also would be nice to know if it works exactly the same as if it were actual farm spot, so you can tend it as well to give more yield. Or is this against some policies that you guys love just to keep players begging for information?

I dont understand why you guys want to keep everything as a secret because ita gonna be asked pretty much instantly or reported as a bug. 

Give the proper details when you introduce stuff... We can say its a new QoL thing. Thanks! 

These are questions I didnt have answers to when I posted it, after being asked I spoke with the dev team to get the answer, hope that helps! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

These are questions I didnt have answers to when I posted it, after being asked I spoke with the dev team to get the answer, hope that helps! 

Fair enough, could you put the proper details on the original post now? So its all in same place and after this is flooded with questions etc, its easier to find answers and you dont have to answer the same question few dozen times. :) thank you! 

• Like 2