Sign in to follow this  
Seriphina

Domesticated Cats (and dogs I suppose)

We have wild cats. They're awesome. Their tiny balls of fluff and rage. But they have to stay caged because they're wild.

Then there are the dogs. They're nice, but if you tame them, they sit perfectly still and do nothing fun.

I want domesticated cats. I want to get annoyed by them knocking objects off of tables but instantly forgive them because they're adorable. Dogs roaming around and curling up in front of random fireplaces would be cool too.

So, here's the idea:

Domesticated Dog - Created by branding and taming (25 skill required) a dog. The dog is connected to the deed and will wander no farther than the perimeter. It can freely go through doors and gates on deed unless locked to prevent passage. Every 18 hours the owner can send dog hunting with a small chance to return with a large rat, pig, or wild boar.

Domesticated Cat - Created by branding and taming (50 skill required) a wild cat. The cat is then connected to the deed and will wander no more than 5 tiles from the deed, but has free reign to go through  doors and slip through gates.  Every 18 hours the owner can send the cat hunting with a chance to return with a hen, rooster, or pheasant.

Special feeding dishes are made with pottery that reduce decay of pet food placed inside (chopped meat or pet food).

Pet food (mostly meat) recipe is added to the cookbook.

Pet Bed - Tailoring 30 - creates a bed that pets will return to regularly.

• Like 14
  • Cat 6

+1 for this! It would give more of an incentive to taming creatures :) Should make bred domesticated ones have different colors as well, like horses do.

Edited by DemonaNightshade
  • Like 1
  • Cat 3

I like the idea of domesticated cats and dogs but from a role playing perspective I would hate to brand them.

How about... say, equipping them with a collar instead?

• Like 6
  • Cat 3

9 hours ago, Lisimba said:

I like the idea of domesticated cats and dogs but from a role playing perspective I would hate to brand them.

How about... say, equipping them with a collar instead?

That's a fantastic idea.  Same concept, but it can be altered to be a portion of the taming process instead of burning off their fuzziness and still marks them as a part of the settlement.

• Cat 2

+1

Also, Dogs should bark when an aggressive creature shows up on deed, cats hiss.

Makes them handy to have around.

They would also like to hang around where people are, and possibly greet someone who enters the deed.

JS

• Like 3
  • Cat 2

Goodness yes, though I prefer the collar to the branding idea. Ever sinced I accidentally killed my tamed wildcat when its tamed status dropped unexpectedly, I can't bring myself to have them though I am absolutely a house-is-not-a-home-without-pets person irl.

i to love this idea but lets add something in the mix. like the idea to have them go hunting we work with like training. the higher your taming skill the better the training they get. like enchanting you can work with them to get better training. the training can be for many things this way. 

dog training= like help you hunting so they have better tracking maybe be like a pointer.

cat training= can catch fish too and other small critters

also lets make this not a one animal can only be tamed at a time. lets make this that we have to breed wild animals to get the more domesticated animals that wont be aggressive and get different colors and add new traits.

Like we can add new colors and if possible sizes for the cats and dogs

i would love to see my favorite dog german shepherds but the time the game is staying at there was great danes and bullmastiffs not sure all the others but something we could add but you cant find them in the wild they have to be breed over time like black sheep though i have found them in the wild.

cats can bring in orange tabby and black cats too, maybe even calico.

traits ideas be like 

bad = destructive - cats they well move things off stuff dogs well chew on things so there be small amounts of dmg

un-trusting - where they might go aggressive with you like the strong well trait well make them self unleaded.

good = quite - cats and dogs can sneak up on prey with out being heard

good listener - where they keep there attention to you when giving orders or training

also dont forget cows too and other animal traits

like can produce more milk or better ql milk this way like eggs be base on skill and animal

heavier they have more meat when well feed but would be slower

shinny coat they produce more hide or better hide or wool

these are a few ideas i have wish i had a program to do the models so you guys can see what i was thinking lol

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 1:41 AM, Beretel said:

Also, Dogs should bark when an aggressive creature shows up on deed, cats hiss.

Makes them handy to have around.

They would also like to hang around where people are, and possibly greet someone who enters the deed.

JS

perhaps have an option to set the animal to passive or active guarding or train it to guard deed. the animal would not actively engage a hostel beast without, say, a spirit guard or the player engaging first.  it would have a emot event that would say something like "(pet name) Hair raises on (his/her) back, and begins to growl as (hostel beast name) has entered the deed putting (him/her) on high alert."

4 hours ago, Dracaa said:

we have to breed wild animals to get the more domesticated animals that wont be aggressive and get different colors

also would tend to stay closer to people and buildings.

On 11/10/2019 at 9:11 PM, Seriphina said:

2 different types a large dog bed, or a small cat bed.  Also with 50 fine carpentry you can build a dog house or a cat tree, with masonry can make a stone version of the dog and cat house.

leather working at 20 skill could make a collar (this would be the item that is like a brand) and a leash (this would be like a bridle for horses) no need for a rope to lead.

or Jewelry Smiting at 20 skill could use the small chain for making pendulums to craft a chain collar (this is exactly the same as the leather collar just a different look and crafting skill.) 

CoC could be cast on them to increase the speed at witch the pet learns.

this would also be a perfect expansion to the "Toy making" skill with craftable pet toys, I.E. leather dog ball, rope dog toy, bone chew toy,  string and feather cat toy, a catnip stuffed cotton mouse toy, a paper bag/box ok maybe the box is a bit far but thats my thoughts. :)

Edited by leander
  • Like 2
  • Cat 1

On 11/14/2019 at 1:06 AM, leander said:

perhaps have an option to set the animal to passive or active guarding or train it to guard deed. the animal would not actively engage a hostel beast without, say, a spirit guard or the player engaging first.  it would have a emot event that would say something like "(pet name) Hair raises on (his/her) back, and begins to growl as (hostel beast name) has entered the deed putting (him/her) on high alert."

Exactly!   I like it...  :)

On 11/14/2019 at 12:15 AM, Dracaa said:

also lets make this not a one animal can only be tamed at a time. lets make this that we have to breed wild animals to get the more domesticated animals that wont be aggressive and get different colors and add new traits.

traits ideas be like 

bad = destructive - cats they well move things off stuff dogs well chew on things so there be small amounts of dmg

un-trusting - where they might go aggressive with you like the strong well trait well make them self unleaded.

good listener - where they keep there attention to you when giving orders or training

Excellent!

Also, there could be a small chance that breeding would produce wild animals. All bred pets would be either wild or domestic.  Maybe there's a relatively small chance that breeding two wild (tamed) wildcats produces a domesticated kitten, but breeding two domesticated cats has a relatively small chance of producing a wild progeny.

JS

12 hours ago, Beretel said:

Excellent!

Also, there could be a small chance that breeding would produce wild animals. All bred pets would be either wild or domestic.  Maybe there's a relatively small chance that breeding two wild (tamed) wildcats produces a domesticated kitten, but breeding two domesticated cats has a relatively small chance of producing a wild progeny.

JS

Or if they aren't tamed and made a part of a deed, bred domestics will revert to feral then wild over time.

Wild untamed cat/dog

can only be bread with other wild cat/dogs and will only produce wild kitten/puppies

Tamed wild cat/dogs

can be bread with other tamed wild cat/dogs to produce domesticated kitten/puppies with a moderate chance to produce feral kitten/puppies

can also be bread with domesticated cat/dogs will still produce domesticated kittens or puppies but will have a slight chance to produce a feral kitten/puppies

Domestic cat/ dogs

can be bread with another domesticated cat/dog to produce domesticated kittens/ puppies (breeds depend on parents if added)

when bread with a tamed wild cat/dog will produce domesticated kitten/puppies  there is a slight chance to produce a feral kitten/puppy 

Feral cat/dogs

can not be bread at all, are hard to tame or train and will not stay tamed for long

thats my idea

Read over "Retro's Guide to Suggesting Good...", and realized my +1 earlier in the post does not mean anything, so...

I would greatly enjoy seeing this in the game!  One thing that I think is lacking to some degree (and I know others have said the same) is the need for more "life" in the game. More critters. (Those elusive ducks and frogs have to be around somewhere, right?)

Taming a dog or a cat sounds great, and I did it once. He just sat there, pretty much, and eventually starved to death.  The experience was sort of... blah.

If I can only tame one animal, I'd rather tame something more useful.  However, if we could tame and then domesticate dogs and cats and have them wander around the deed at will, showing up in odd and interesting places or maybe bringing us a stick to throw for them 'cause they want to play, (would be a laugh to see a wild cat do that), it would add an element of life to the game environment while we are working and playing around our deeds.  Being able to train and send them hunting to bring back something useful from time to time would be a nice touch.  Maybe even allow them to develop their own stats which improve their chance of catching something and increase the variety of what they might be able to hunt down.

So, please consider adding domesticated and then breedable dogs and cats into the game world!

Humbly submitted...
~TH~

Hermit of Hermitage

P.S.- Just kidding about domesticated wild cats bringing us sticks. 

Maybe they could be trained to find those elusive frogs and ducks for us instead?  Ducks make great meals when cooked right, and frogs make pretty good fish bait for some species of fish out there. A skilled domesticated wild cat could be something valuable to have around, aside from just entertainment on deed.  ;)

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 1:15 AM, Dracaa said:

dog training= like help you hunting so they have better tracking maybe be like a pointer.

Dog training- Would be a lot of fun and enhance the whole over all experience hunting if I could breed a dog that could let me know when he smelled something interesting in a certain direction while we were traveling down the road or walking in the wilderness.  You hear him start barking and/or acting oddly, standing alert and looking in a certain direction, and a message of some sort appears in the local message screen.

Cat training- Anyone with cats knows how much they like to leave "gifts" for their owners. Dead birds. Half of the mouse they caught in the night and felt like sharing.  Would be fun to see what they could find and bring back to us with some training.  And, as I mentioned in my comment on this OP, maybe they could finally track down those ducks and frogs that we hear all over the place but never can find.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 3:15 AM, Dracaa said:

i to love this idea but lets add something in the mix. like the idea to have them go hunting we work with like training. the higher your taming skill the better the training they get. like enchanting you can work with them to get better training. the training can be for many things this way. 

i would love to see my favorite dog german shepherds but the time the game is staying at there was great danes and bullmastiffs not sure all the others but something we could add but you cant find them in the wild they have to be breed over time like black sheep though i have found them in the wild.

cats can bring in orange tabby and black cats too, maybe even calico.

traits ideas be like 

also dont forget cows too and other animal traits

like can produce more milk or better ql milk this way like eggs be base on skill and animal

heavier they have more meat when well feed but would be slower

shinny coat they produce more hide or better hide or wool

these are a few ideas i have wish i had a program to do the models so you guys can see what i was thinking lol

cats files furniture for you?

I like this, but cats and dogs are very different from each other.

Dogs:  Loyal - the normal tamed animal reaction of attacking whatever attacks you should apply.   Wandering limited something like the OP above, but apply to a set object like a kennel or bed, otherwise it applies to the player character (i.e. if you don't have a kennel to put him in, get used to him following you around).  Kennels shouldn't be limited to one dog though.  You could go way down the rabbit hole on this and designate a "dog proof" status to certain fences etc (but then a plank fence does keep in a hen, I think, so there goes that idea).  Give them some traits.  Take them hunting with you.  PVP application?

I think the limit on cat wandering is unrealistic  😁.    I think deed and perimeter is fine, though, as otherwise it becomes unmanageable.  My home village is huge, so cats could be wandering all over the place.  Again, give them traits.  Instead of taking them hunting, just have them go hunting for themselves at night, and sometimes bring back their kill (rats, pheasants, etc)

+1 Really liking the hunting, guarding and loyalty ideas. :)

On 11/11/2019 at 4:11 AM, Seriphina said:

We have wild cats. They're awesome. Their tiny balls of fluff and rage. But they have to stay caged because they're wild.

Then there are the dogs. They're nice, but if you tame them, they sit perfectly still and do nothing fun.

I want domesticated cats. I want to get annoyed by them knocking objects off of tables but instantly forgive them because they're adorable. Dogs roaming around and curling up in front of random fireplaces would be cool too.

So, here's the idea:

Domesticated Dog - Created by branding and taming (25 skill required) a dog. The dog is connected to the deed and will wander no farther than the perimeter. It can freely go through doors and gates on deed unless locked to prevent passage. Every 18 hours the owner can send dog hunting with a small chance to return with a large rat, pig, or wild boar.

Domesticated Cat - Created by branding and taming (50 skill required) a wild cat. The cat is then connected to the deed and will wander no more than 5 tiles from the deed, but has free reign to go through  doors and slip through gates.  Every 18 hours the owner can send the cat hunting with a chance to return with a hen, rooster, or pheasant.

Special feeding dishes are made with pottery that reduce decay of pet food placed inside (chopped meat or pet food).

Pet food (mostly meat) recipe is added to the cookbook.

NO

cats are way better as in model .. compared to the oddly boring dog model...

I'd not like seeing them as annoying pet to have knocking objects.... maybe as possible trait sure(rip these) but else rather not have them all with such trait by default, wont be fun to have one than.

+1   love this idea, and maybe the animals could be different colors, please, maybe????

100% yes to most all of this, though personally I am only interested in having cats all over my deed :)

• Like 2