Sign in to follow this  
nygen

Jackal: What's it to you?

I have not been to Jackal.   I am absolutely enjoying the general concept of it!  Jackal + several other changes being implemented = listening to players.  

However...

Skill level is the most valuable commodity in wurm.  Whether its ever cashed out or not.   Once I can make something reliably - its value drops considerably for me.   I only protect items I cant make myself.   I am willing to pay for others skills to make up that gap.   

So, new adventure awaits, but there is the skill gain issue.  No interest in grinding again, I value my time spent already on the only real commodity I have in this game.   

I get the idea, if they let people in with full skillsets the world would be ablaze of complaints of unfair advantages.   Certain people or groups grabbing up skins Or other epic lootz while others struggled etc etc.  

if there was a set “effective” level for all players, but skill gains would transfer like normal - I would be all over Jackal - surely complaining about something else instead :)

Cheers to devs making Jackal a flexible idea - one that changes as they see fit.   That opens up lots of interesting ideas, and failures - but progress nonetheless.  

I hope that the developers are making content THEY truly enjoy playing, and not just placating to placate.   

I played on jackal but not really the way I was supposed to. I did not really like the idea and concept of rifts and jackal beacons so when I started it was more to try it out, but mabe could have some fun and help out by play with my small group of friends from Freedom. I had to start from beginning to have a chance to skill up and so, so that I did. This is my personal opinon as a player.

All from the start I struggle with bugs and bad game mechanisms.

• No proper hunting around start and nothing respawned
  • Leading to very hard to get simple things like pelts and rugs
  • Rift beast were more annoying in start than adding to fun, they came way to early before any had a chance to skill up to fight them
  • Was depend on live near start deed because was only entrance back to Freedom
  • Moved to area looked like good hunting an hour travel from start but as soon all killed nothing really respawn (south vs north spawn issue)
  • I was to late to get beacons before the materials for lodestone decayed (bug), didnt want to use deeds to defeat them wanted to be able to fight them but spawn issue delayed me in that
  • Skill gain for improving skill way to slow because of reuse of epic skill system but without curve you improve very fast and short action timer with reduced skill gain and no improved skill gain over skill level as on freedom

I continued play because I used Jackal as just a new server and it was fun because a lot of things I could skip that does not make sense on so short time span server or very boring to grind. I skipped making roads, nice deed design, religion, meditating. Guess I also lost motivation on Freedom and nothing to do as high end player, especially with my friends (should be a focus point for further development of Wurm).

If temporary server concept for pve should be repeated I think there should it would be beneficial with another concept for beacons more similar to pvp towers. Now you are allowed to settle far from anyone else but not allowed to get a deed. If beacons had to be placed within a limited range of other friendly beacons and enemy beacons blocked building it could have given a  more interesting game play.

I think Wurm should focus more on small groups instead of see everything as one big community. People have different interest and not all like each other or find it fun to play with random people. Coorporation as a big community will never work. Many medium and small groups can though game mechanism indirectly work together, example by have to clear beacon and build beacons to fight the Jackal. I also think it should be made so you cant use Templar and guardsr to defeat the beacons.

It OK you had to build a lodestone with rare materials on freedom but I think it should not be a limitation on Jackal, go back via Freedom beacons should have been possible. Now my Freedom alliance more or less died out.

Getting fighting skill should not be limited by a poor spawn system.

I think it should be considered that we started with 20 skill similar to challenge server, no point in have to grind from 1 on everything or it should at least be a lot faster to get up to useful skill level.

Jackal should have been a pve war with a front line. Then if creature AI were a bit more intelligent so jackal form groups to attack into freedom areas and possible attack freedom beacons similar to we attack theirs. Could make the community grow and start to coorprorate for a common goal.

• Like 3

For me it was a lot of fun in the first few months but what killed it is it going from 50 to under 10 people due to skill transfer rate sucking :(

Not bothered with Jackal as yet. I've learnt to let new things develop for a few months until the bugs have been ironed out.

That said, I'm more than happy pottering around on my Exodus deed so don't particularly feel the need to visit Jackal

Well, I liked the start from scratch a lot until I hit the pelt crisis. Until then I had played it a few days, and developed skills between 10 and under 20, only prospecting bit more (to get analyze). I left Jackal because the pelt problem was frustrating, and I had (and have) so many open projects on Freedom that I did not see a point idling there until there were better opportunities to get pelts. Afterwards I felt to be so far behind the rest that it would have been a pain and overly much effort to catch up.

What was very positive was the interaction of players who had set up quite some infrastructure like a public mine, chests and crates for supply and equipment etc. and appeared to be cooperating a lot. Due to my short presence I don't know how that developped further. I only ventured a bit into the lands outside due to my lack of FS. Only did a few fights alongside guards and templars.

Given I find the time I would certainly try another round of Jackal in case of a restart.

I have not yet been on Jackal - and likely never will. The concept runs against what I like in Wurm: a persistent world and making a place for me and my character in that world. And Jackal isn't persistent but will soon vanish and with it the characters that settled in that world. No history, no legacy. All that will remain are a few skins and some slight changes to some numbers in the skill list. Not my piece of cake.