Sign in to follow this  
nygen

Jackal: What's it to you?

If you do play Jackal, why do you choose it over the alternatives?

If you did play Jackal and stopped. Why? 

If you have not played on Jackal, why is that so?

I hope this thread may benefit the Devs and shape future updates. 

Personally I played it for about a month and then stopped playing it regularly.

There are a few reasons I stopped:

1: Real life commitments and things I have to do not affording me time to play.

2: Broken patches for beacon behavior and generally felt it was slightly underwhelming. Not enough risk/reward.

3: Broken/underwhelming mechanism for skill or item transfer compounding the above. 

4: Dead server economy. 

I personally left it because it just didn't interest me. I spent a lot of time grinding my Freedom account, and while I don't really mind a fresh grind, having to reach things like 21 body control again just kinda helped kill some enthusiasm only a bit though.

There's also that you could only return to Freedom from Lodestones. It's already been raised as a (pretty much) critical fault for most players, since we all have a lot of animals, farm land and the like to care for on Freedom already.

I'm open to try it again, and I'll probably join a larger group for wave 2. I just hope it goes smoothly.

To be frank; a failed experiment.

Yes, item skins are nice, but for those of us with actual ambition in the real world, the time investment to obtain such items is just not worth the effort.  Combined with the confirmed inferior skillgain rate, it had nothing to offer.

In essence, it was very much "all or nothing", with too much weight upon "nothing" for myself, and many others, to bother.

• Like 4

I haven't played because:

1) already don't have enough time to do what I'd like on freedom

2) I don't want to have to start from zero again. I've not got enough play time as it is, worked hard to get my freedom toon to where it's at, and to start from zero would really just be too much for me.

• Like 2

Havent been on jackal even once and not going to bother, waste of time vs actual gains. Besides i was happy to play rifts couple of times.. Too bad it became constant event that ruined the special feeling of it. Jackal is just same crap with a little make-up.

I'm still playing on Jackal mostly, I'm an explorer, not a grinder, or merchant, so Jackal satisfies my particular play style.

Saying that, I still play on Epic, though a lot less of late, and Freedom is where I am based, I have my deeds there to maintain, and since Jackal is a short term server I'm not about to give those up.

Jackal is an intriguing place for me, lots of unanswered questions on how Jackal influence works, how the freedom beacons work, or even don't work, and how players can alter jackal influence to allow freedom influence to spread. Also it's huge, there's so much to explore away from the coasts.

Sure it has it's annoyances, the terrain can be a nightmare of spikes and hollows, getting stuck is easy, usually with a bunch of nasties on your tail, getting only one log from a tree slows down the crafting of things if you habitually live in jackal influence, overall though, it's been a positive experience for me, others with different expectations will have different views of course.

• Like 1

left once, came back on the request of a friend and left again after

hybrid skillgain system sucks ass, its not as bad on epic where by the time you're 20 skill and its no longer 100% tick rate no matter what you're curved to 39 skill, but on jackal unless you've got someone supplying you 70+ ql tools skillgain is nothing. most skills in the game are actually slower than on freedom despite it being a temp server lol.

barely any new content, its just doing rift camps on newbie accounts, which you could already do if you really wanted.

rift ai is a straight up chore now, with all their dumb mechanics and awful ai, feels like you fight the game more than you do mobs

jackal has near nobody on it in australian hours (80% of those on are alts, ive seen the alliance lists) so im forced to either pull all nighters on the weekends just to play in a group of more than 3 or abuse the rift mobs shitty ai and solo the camps myself, fun for the first few times.

skill transfer is near nothing, it doesn't take into account coc or sleep bonus either so you wont get much skill coming back, your affinities dont come back, your rares dont come back, your deed dont come back, everything on jackal seems pointless because it'll all be gone in a few months anyway, and all you'll have to show for it is some memories and a weapon skin

all in all a meh experience that i could have just had on a wu server. maps pretty cool, if it was a freedom server i'd probs live there

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 4

I have grinded up skills on a PvE server for years.

Then suddenly, Lo and Behold, there finally comes a new PvE server, but Im not able to go there with my skills and do PvE!

I have to skill up again. No thank you.

Also, why must every PvE thing in wurm require large groups of players?

Rifts, unique hunts and Jackal all seem like they were lazily designed.

"Lets just make one big thing and let everybody come there"

What I want is a hunting server on the Freedom cluster. No travel restrictions.

Some new mob group mechanics so you have to fight several mobs at a time.

Higher spawn chance of champ/green etc mobs.

Let some mobs be able to wreck buildings/walls.

If you want to spice things up, add in rare low count glimmer/addy/seryll veins.

• Like 3

Positives:

- can meditate on both sides (transfer rate is poop but still  a boon i guess)

- can play your freedom priest as a crafter (provided transfer rate is not poop)

- new untouched land and the sense of discovery and adventure

Negatives:

- skill transfer is not in still nevermind the rate

- you start from 0 and you do this for 6 months to get some skins and 10% of the grinded xp while someone on freedom keeps all the xp, items and buys a skin (why are they not getting 10% of a skin then!?). And even if they do make them get 10% of a skin then they wont buy untill 10 skins are the price of 1 currently:)

Proof that the current dev team will never be able to design a satisfying PvE endgame experience if their lives depended on it and that all hope for something like that is futile.

• Like 2

I played there for a few weeks. Having to grind skills all over again really wasn't much fun, the lack of pelts only made it worse. I did like how dangerous it was at the start. Ended up leaving because the grind just became boring. I think the general idea behind the server was good, but the execution wasn't. Skill gain was way way way way too slow for a temporary server. It would have worked better if we could transfer our own skills, perhaps everything but combat related skills so we don't walk right over any threats?

Edited by Ecrir

honestly, the grind felt just as bad if not sometimes worse than on freedom. the hybrid system clearly doesnt work not to mention the low skill transfer rate. once you scrap away the surface feeling of novelty you realize its literally just another freedom server where the only challenge you get is mobs and sometimes annoying players. It all just feels pointless.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed it to start with - the newbie experience of carving out a whole fresh deed and starting everything from scratch was good fun.  But once you're set up, you're basically just grinding the same stuff you already ground once before, and that gets stale quickly.

• Like 3

Haven't tried it because:

Would have to interrupt my current projects.

Would have to travel.

Would likely enjoy it more in a group, and I mostly solo.

If I could simply teleport from my deed, I probably would have just to check it out...

JS

• Like 1

As the leader of the most active deed since day 1, experienced burnout and seen alot of active great villagers (like OP, we miss you nygen :( ) quit i can say this about Jackal

Pros

- Mystery, fun figuring out the map

- New challenge, somewhat new content alot of it recycled in a good way

- Opportunity to play with new people who you wouldnt normally play with

Suggestions

- The terrain just f'n sucks, it's tedious, its not fun. Wetas constantly get hung up when trying to fight at beacons, tone down the steepness by 10% atleast

- Skill transfer f'n sucks. If you're going to make it slow skill gain, atleast make it rewarding, or else give us challenge server skillgain at like 6x or something. People don't want to grind if the skill transfer sucks. We'd rather have fast skill gain and no transfer. But think about it, if you gave people a 1:1 skill transfer from Jackal back to Freedom, EVERYONE would be playing on Jackal, and thats what you want. Freedom will become the "dumpster" league like Standard in PoE, Which is fine, because everyone loves playing the new content anyway. For those of you freedomers who grinded to 95-100 (myself included), good for you, but know if you want your game to succeed, freedom ain't gunna cut it for everyone else in the world and help the game succeed.

- 400-500'ish Jackal Beacons are repetitive and boring with this many people burning out. Do something drastic to revitalize the server, seriously. Get these people back. Increase skill gain to freedom? If there's real incentive like bonus skill gain there, people will want to move from freedom to jackal to grind. That's GOOD. 

- This whole - "Non sb, no CoC" skill gain relation is F'N STUPID. WE WORKED HARD FOR THOSE BONUSES, Why take them away from us?! You want to make people mad or make them feel rewarded and keep giving you money? Seriously you guys shoot yourselves in the foot ALOT. Don't give me the "If you want skill just grind on freedom" crap, FREEDOM IS BORING AND DYING, THAT'S WHY YOU MADE JACKAL. Alot of people are resubbing after not playing for years because they found no point in grinding on freedom anymore. Don't ruin your own efforts to revitalize a game by some ill-conceived rules.

-  Make WS and channeling skills faster, it's too much of a grind to decent weapons to entice people. WS Gains are SLOWER on Jackal (wtf?)

Jackal is an opportunity to actually make WURM great, where you release meaningful seasonal content patches. This was a good start, dont scrap the idea just fix and improve. Alot of us are really enjoying working together on a goal that feels more then just "minecraft freedom wurm"

-- EDIT OMG IM A GENIUS.

Memory Stone - 1000 Jackal Points - Copy any 1 skill from Jackal to Freedom at a 1:1 skill ratio.

Body Stone - 2000 Jackal Points - Copy all gains to body stats at a 1:1 ratio

Mind Stone - 2000 Jackal Points - Copy all gains to Mind stats at a 1:1 ratio

Soul Stone - 2000 Jackal Ponts - Copy all gains to Soul stats at a 1:1 ratio

Edited by phennexion
  • Like 4

Ive personally loved jackal. I started with a group I played with when Deliverance first was opened. I ended up over here with them and Lisabet's friends. We were so excited about finally getting moon metals in bountiful amount. It was fun playing around with moon metal for once instead of hoarding it. We ended up allying with Warlander's group, great decision :P Every one in that group has been AMAZING!

I eventually priested up as a Libila priest and we moved to a spot a few locals away. Around that time we start have less and less people playing. Most of their reasoning was that the server wasnt permanent, or that they just didnt like having to start over.

I can go into more detail but it would all just be kinda mundane. The biggest thing I have loved about jackal, was meeting and talking to people I NEVER would of met. I tend to stay at my deed on Deliverance and don't really interact with many people. Jackal changed that by making us all work together to progress quickly. Every one had their strengths and it helped make the alliances here flourish.

It was amazing to see what Wurmians can do, when they work together with out trying to profit off each other.

Yes I know there were those who tried, and might have succeeded in profit, but they arent here no mores.

2 hours ago, phennexion said:

This was a good start

It really, really wasn't though. If you want this to go anywhere except down the drain, stop sucking up to the devs and be real.

The base concept is one with loads and loads of potential, Path of Exile is a supreme example of how it creates player retention. But what CC AB did had people burned out, as you said, and some quit the game, with Jackal being the last straw. And I don't mean only myself. It's the opposite of a good start. It's dismal.

They need to rethink the whole thing. Break some Wurm doctrines. Use this as an opportunity to actually innovate the game. Many suggestions were made that I don't care to reiterate, and if they can't figure out what went wrong in face of all these contentions and ideas while Jackal's population shrunk to 10% of what it was at release, that just further proves my point.

If this is to be considered to be a good start among the community or the devs, I think we ought to give James Cameron a call so he can go dive for the bar again.

Not much of a poster, but i do read posts a lot.

I'll keep it brief.

1. terrain needs fixing. Slopes to steep and we get stuck a lot, and some beacons are in some impossible places.
  2. skill gains need to be way faster. if you do make them a lot faster you can remove the skill transfer to stop abuse, skill transfer is not worth it when some skill are passed 70 on freedom anyways.
  3. make jackal points worth getting. remove dumb skins, and replace with things that you can buy from the Traders (ex. farwalker stones, sleep powders, magical chest, etc. ...just remove trader, merchant, and wagoneer contracts)
  4. increase moon metal veins. since we are on a moon after all.
  5. allow jackal mobs to attack freedom beacons and deeds. People just make to much freedom beacons, which seem useless unless you want logs, and people just lock themselves up on a deed. Lets give them a reason to get the blood pumping.
  6. lower the time that jackal is open, six months seems to long, at that time we go from anyone being specialized to everyone being jack of all trades. i suggest 3 months jackal is up, and 6 months its closed, rinse and repeat, that would give us time to play jackal and then play freedom, I'm sure people can do 3 month after playing Wurm for years.
  7. increase mob spawns. jackal seems like a desert and it makes fight skill grinding very hard. Why not centralize starter deed on map and move jackal strongholds to the corners of the map and dot the map with jackal beacons increasing with amount as we get closer to the strong holds, with not as strong beacon guards closer to spawn and stronger beacon guards closer to strongholds.

Regarding suggestion 7. At the start jackal strongholds should be open when the jackal server opens, and the jackal beacons should not be needed to be shutdown to allow us to fight and or destroy the strongholds. The jackal beacons are just a source of jackal points. Jackal strongholds could provide more jackal points, than beacons, but could give enemy drops that can be taken to freedom, kind of like the rift system on freedom severs, if you enter a stronghold you are added to a list of players with participation percentage.

• Like 2

I've not been to Jackal. WURM is so huge and complex that as a new player Jackal is just another location and I've not even explored a fraction of what's within a mile of my village. I do want to explore Jackal and I plan to do so but it will be in a year or two.

Before one start something one shall think of benefits for at least trying it and here are reasons why I started to play Jackal as I seen it at very beginning :

1. Points redeemed for cool items ( skins to make such items  ).

2. You end up with very strong or stronger character that will have higher skills.

3. It is new exciting adventure, fun and opportunity to enjoy exotic hunting grounds.

4. You meet new cool people, make new friends and life on Jackal everything but boring LOL

After I tried this so called exotic hunting adventure and it is 3-d month already as Jackal launched, lets see if there are any reasons left for me to stay to the end and how to fix some of disappointments ? 🧐

1. Jackal Points for cool items .

Points not easy to get as you only get those from beacons hunts which you can't do solo and it is not easy to catch up with group as there are no specific plans or times set and all hunts are spontaneous. Not mentioning those time zones differences.

Allow us to gain points not only from beacons but maybe from killing native Jackal mobs, from creating certain items , from grinding skills ( which we already did before or for grinding something that we did not on freedom as  old players, for new players set specific skill level like every 10 skill points you get 5 Jackal points or something like that ) etc

Skins for cool items.

Are you kidding, you think those few weapons skins worth of those points ? Very big disappointment in regards of our "rewards" . I will make separate posts just about skins that I think will encourage players to go to Jackal.

2. Higher skills in end. Hmmm I couldn't play that day when skill transfer been active but I heard a lot of complains regarding how unfair it is. OK I just hope this going to be fixed and we all get fair amount of skill points . Do not tell me I need to get higher skill than I have on freedom for this actually work, nope Jackal skill gain is not as fast as I expected and why the heck I need to do same skills over again if they will not be added to those I already have?  Show me reason. The only reason I see it is to add some of those points to my existing skills on freedom even on Jackal they are lower !

3. Exotic hunting grounds.

Mobs re spawn totally broken, terrain is horrible as many already mentioned, we can't take any trophies or materials or items to freedom and we need to wait for next server restart just to go hunting again. Fix that on Jackal and as  Griper suggested, create new exotic server on freedom for those who likes interesting hunting adventures. Reddragon also gave some decent recommendations regarding beacons, terrain and mob spawn. Listen to us players Devs , we  are your clients and without us there will be no Wurm.

4. Meet  cool people, make new friends  and as Phennexion said " Opportunity to play with new people who you wouldnt normally play with".

Sadly it is only positive reason  that left from my big expectations. People and hope that something will be fixed and in end I will not be sorry that I wasted 6 month of my game life for something that not really exciting, not fair and actually very boring.👎

I also want to recommend to Devs, please be fair to us-  reward all those who will last to the very end with at least some special trophy that we can bring to freedom,  just like we get in end of some treasure hunts which lasts few hours only but not 6 month as Jackal and it is better to be  really cool item/s  ! 😉

• Like 1

It was really fun at the beginning. The feeling of this hostile, desolate world, the amount of people (i think we had over 40 in the village alone? Most of whom i have never met before).

Skill gain was annoying but nothing really terrible. Slower than on Freedom for most part but hey, between the 100+ players, we should be able to beat the scenario any way so good fun.

Then the first attempt at skill transfers came around. Complete flop. Reward for the time spent and work done over there felt like a punishment. I didn't cross to Freedom because i fully expected stuff to go pear-shaped.

Then the 2nd attempt at skill transfers happened - same thing. Again, didn't attempt crossing over, expecting funky things to happen. They did happen.

My main is stuck on Jackal since he crossed over on day one and i'm just depressed with this. I'm not crossing to Freedom because going by past experience, something will go wrong.

I stopped paying premium on all toons. I'm only maintaining my main deed using a freemium alt. Rest of the deeds fell or will fall. I miss Wurm and my friends but i'm not taking a chance.

Depending on how will the skill transfers work in the end, i would love to go back to Jackal for the next round but as far as i read on forums and Discord - i would rather grind my botanising and foraging on Freedom, at least i'll have something to show for the countless hours spent on doing something i don't enjoy at all.

This is just my personal view. I think the idea is great and the look&feel of Jackal is spot-on. I just don't care for weapon skins and alike, i never did rifts, i don't like the combat in Wurm at all. I was simply hoping to have a reason to grind those 2 skills, for example to feed the village of 40+. It worked very well and i didn't mind doing the things i dread in Wurm because they had a purpose. On one hand to feed the villagers on the other hand, to carry some skill back to Freedom.

Some people play for the social interactions, others like fighting, someone else likes the new weapon skins. I don't enjoy any of those but i was hoping to get "something" out of it. So far all i got was a non-premmed main and a break from Wurm for over a month now. As long as the skill transfers aren't worth the time, it's just something that's there as an option i'll never use, much like Chaos or Epic. 

• Like 2

Can be very short about it as I haven't played that server and won't do it:

It's a waste of time.

I'm not in the mood to start from scratch on a server which gets whiped every 6 months for some louzy Jackals points and new weapon skins.

Thorin :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thorinoakshield said:

Can be very short about it as I haven't played that server and won't do it:

It's a waste of time.

I'm not in the mood to start from scratch on a server which gets whiped every 6 months for some louzy Jackals points and new weapon skins.

Curious, Would you have played if all the skill you gained on Jackal would be transferred back to your freedom char?

18 hours ago, phennexion said:

Curious, Would you have played if all the skill you gained on Jackal would be transferred back to your freedom char?

Nope.

I'm playing this game to have fun, to interact with people and to get things done.

Starting from scratch after working 4 years to get most of my skills high enough to do the things I like is one thing.

Doing it at a couple of alts so I got the priests needed for the plans I have is a second.

Starting over from scratch for just a few months isn't my idea of fun. I may as well start an Alt in Freedom and sell the bugger the moment the most important skills are high enough to make it useful. And frankly speaking, I'm not in the mood for that.

Nor do I have the time for it.

• Like 1