Sign in to follow this  
phennexion

Option to Disable Eating Noises

Hello,

I have a strange mental problem called Misophonia... and eating noises in general cause me a "fight or flight" response where I get really annoyed/irritated instantly. 

It SUCKS. I tried messing with all the sound options but there doesn't seem to be a way to disable the eating noise.... Can you please add that option? its frustrating to have to mute my sound every time i hear someone eat in game or myself eat in game.

It sounds crazy I know, but would be greatly appreciated... thank you.

Edited by phennexion
  • Like 4

I am sorry for your affliction. 

I've never heard of this. I find it interesting and sad.  All afflictions are difficult to deal with.

Its not much help but you can turn all sounds down and the music up. I think that works with eating too.

I struggle not to make a joke. That's my affliction. I tend to laugh at things that bother me to cover up my fear.

I hope they can accommodate you.

Makes sense to have the option.

It's existing functionality.. same should be applied to a few other things like small bells.. but currently there's only option to mute emote sounds - as a whole I think.

+1

59 minutes ago, Finnn said:

same should be applied to a few other things like small bells.. 

6926853b67558cc8275646e96cf9d8dcadd868b2

Leave the bells alone 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, armyskin said:

6926853b67558cc8275646e96cf9d8dcadd868b2

Leave the bells alone 

Exactly.. you get it.. I want to leave them alone.. if they can't play with others well.. let them be alone.. and muted so they wont bother people if they don't want to be bothered by.. the small bell sounds.. whoever enjoys them is free to head the sounds.

Freedom to hear them.. or Not.. except.. we do not have that last bit..

I FEEL THIS SUGGESTION IN MY SOUL

Just ask @Retrograde, who has to warn me before taking bites of food ingame (and out) because I’ve been known to physically rip off my headset and throw it across my desk as a “fight or flight” response. It’s uncontrollable rage and the reaction is embarrassing and irrational but unavoidable. I absolutely understand. +100, if there can be a toggle for arachnophobia, there should be one for misophonia as well.

Well I think adding no emotes to eating because not everyone want's to here smacking when eating. Though its a good option not to always hear everything. Yet in taking away some sounds would not want to take away angry mob sounds at all. Though understands why they want to keep Wurm seeming like a real game verse other games. Yet it should be everyone's choice to listen to food or not to listen .

Its the same with the insane drinking sound honestly, its 1 of the reasons i play with wurm muted completely in settings and on windows sound mixer
I hope we can get some more ability to mute specific sounds in general, Simple list with boxes next to it with the list being populated with categories of what kind of sounds like eating/drinking or animal sounds(poor horses) and in those categories having sub ones like "death effect" and "hit effect" and such maybe im just thinking to far into it but if i could id mute horse sounds and eating and drinking for myself the rest is bearable

Having individual options it could be difficult, but I'll raise it all for discussion

(And I can confirm, those stories are true) 

5 hours ago, darrellbeaugez said:

Though its a good option not to always hear everything. Yet in taking away some sounds would not want to take away angry mob sounds at all.

That's a good note to expand the idea on. What if the option just disabled all "immersion sounds" that serve no alarming purpose per se? Any sort of tool sounds, no mining or woodcutting sounds etc. But fishing cues and combat noises are still a thing.

I'm most often playing Wurm on one monitor and doing somethng else on another, and all the "useless" sounds are rather intrusive to that. At the same time, playing Wurm on a very quiet level makes it easy to miss when one of my characters is being mauled.

Alternatively, make 2 sliders for each sound category (enabled by an option so you only get the distinction when wanted?).

As someone who wouldn't be able to play Wurm Online without the phobia mode, I can certainly symphatize. 

I like the immersion sounds suggestion, Flubb.

I would love this feature option. It makes me wonder what the heck is wrong with wurmians that they chew with their mouths open and apparently struggle to eat, and they drink like they haven't consumed a liquid in days and are on the brink of death.

23 hours ago, Joelle said:

I FEEL THIS SUGGESTION IN MY SOUL

Just ask @Retrograde, who has to warn me before taking bites of food ingame (and out) because I’ve been known to physically rip off my headset and throw it across my desk as a “fight or flight” response. It’s uncontrollable rage and the reaction is embarrassing and irrational but unavoidable. I absolutely understand. +100, if there can be a toggle for arachnophobia, there should be one for misophonia as well.

Glad i'm not the only one!!

From the sounds of it, you could probably just remove the eating sounds from the game and no one would mind. lol

I'd like to remove the smithing sounds that prevent me from smithing.

+1, I know someone who has a similar reaction to the eating sounds. Personally I don't mind them nearly as much but they are still kinda gross.

removed joke. was rude

Edited by lowborn
  • Like 1

Misophonia is a real thing, it really sucks. It impacts my life daily in a negative way, i've gone to all the Drs and there is minimal treatment options at the moment. If I had the option to trade 10 million dollars or no misophonia, I'd go no misophonia in a heartbeat. I don't expect a bald redneck who sh!tposts on forum suggestion threads to understand Misophonia, but here is the lowdown, for a lowborn.

A miswiring in the brain above the right ear - people have related it to Autism or SPD but it's neither because it gets worse as you age. People can be eating downstairs loudly, and I could be sleeping upstairs in my bedroom and I'll wake up aggravated. It's not a choice we make, I personally don't care how people eat, I regularly give my friends popcorn and chips then regret it later because I keep conflicting between not caring how people eat and my Misophonia. One major common thread for Misophonia sufferers is parental abuse as a child for eating loudly or bad manners. In my case, I had an extremely abusive mother who would inflict me physical and mental harm when I ate loudly at the dinner table - now as I age, I feel a reaction like someone is hurting me (imagine getting sucker punched outta nowhere) when I hear eating noises. My case may be that as my brain was growing and forming neural connections, the PTSD from those traumatic events miswired those noises in my brain to another feeling of pain. You know how annoying and strange feeling it is to eat loudly yourself and then get mad at yourself? lol 

I do for 90% of the time I've been playing WURM have had my sounds disabled, more many reasons - but it's hard when im on jackal combating rift beacons and need those alert noises. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 4:48 AM, wipeout said:

Its the same with the insane drinking sound honestly, its 1 of the reasons i play with wurm muted completely in settings and on windows sound mixer
I hope we can get some more ability to mute specific sounds in general, Simple list with boxes next to it with the list being populated with categories of what kind of sounds like eating/drinking or animal sounds(poor horses) and in those categories having sub ones like "death effect" and "hit effect" and such maybe im just thinking to far into it but if i could id mute horse sounds and eating and drinking for myself the rest is bearable

yeah i played for years without sound on because of the apalling horsehoof effects and small bells
It isn't always the same person that rings it but there's always one.
strangely never more than one, it's like only one person gets to be THAT annoying at any given gathering.
Unfortunately, having sound generally off meant i didn't hear the more immersive sounds of environment.
Never got to full screen, remove the gui and `smell the roses`.
sound is important.
To keep this thread on track im going to paste a picture that might serve it.
WsScxoU.jpg
I assume bells and eating are action sounds i haven't experimented for some time.

Edited by Steveleeb

Maybe it would be good if, for a start, there was a console command that could blacklist specific sounds by their internal ID or whatever. The sound engine would then just not play any sounds on the blacklist. This would let people customize away the sounds they hate the most without needing everything in the GUI.

Then later, the sounds or sound combinations that get blacklisted the most could get their own GUI toggle for easy access. But anyone who has very specific wishes could still get what they want with a startup script. Also if new sounds are added that someone hates, they can filter it out immediately without having to wait for a toggle to be made.

• Like 1