Sign in to follow this  
Victor

Server Merge

With the player-base and population spread thin across all the various servers (I was sailing across Deliverance a moment ago, and 6 players out of 100 total were on), I believe it's high time for a server map wipe and delete all the servers and make a new one, and have only one server. Save all the current characters, and eliminate the 100 item limit in inventory as well as encumbrance limits for that fresh start. Refund current deeds at 100%, as well as "tokens" for placed items player's can't pick up so they can transfer to the new server. Also have home writs that allow the instant saving of the materials that made the house, so they can pop in a BSB with all the materials.

We need this, a new single map for the entire player base. No pvp server, it's a failed experiment. Maybe a PvP zone like the HotA and be done with it.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Xanadu is too large. Travel times are too long there. So one server wouldn't work for me. But maybe reduce the amount of servers, but which one's would go.

1 minute ago, Blaike said:

Xanadu is too large. Travel times are too long there. So one server wouldn't work for me. But maybe reduce the amount of servers, but which one's would go.

Having multiple small servers would have the same travel times as one big one.

Also, why not post why you may be against consolidating the servers instead of posting a simple no or -1. Maybe there are things I hadn't considered. 

6 minutes ago, Victor said:

Having multiple small servers would have the same travel times as one big one.

Only if you travel all the servers and how often do you do that.

-1 because i don't want to build new deed from scratch when I haven't even finished current one, -1 because i don't want to look for abother cozy spot near water like i have now, -1 because i don't want to hastle with moving , -1 because i cannot bring with me rare guard tower, rare altars, rare 101 courier mailbox and other stuff significant to me I can't pick up, i don't want to design and build buildings again even if i had mats. Is that clear to you?

P.S. With Steam on horizon god knows what can happen, game as we now it might dye very soon, or may dye in all of its forms, why even bother with your idea when it will bring nothing?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Victor said:

Also, why not post why you may be against consolidating the servers instead of posting a simple no or -1. Maybe there are things I hadn't considered. 

Such merge or delete servers proposals have been made several times, and they are either the product of narrow minded microeconomic thought or just ignoring the nature of Wurm.

Even on the less populated servers, hundreds of players have settled, many of them still holding deeds, paying upkeep, subscribing for longer or shorter periods of time, even permanently along with some alts. The deeds often contain years of work and development, have unique features and history. There are years long joint works on large infrastructure projects such as highways through even the most adverse topology, tunnels, bridges, and canals. 

Though I am fairly short time on Wurm, my deed, mines, and canals already form an environment I would not wish and not bear to lose for some consolidation madness. I would certainly quit in such a case.

• Like 5
  • Cat 1

Some players like the vastness of Xanadu, others like  the smaller servers.  Some folks like to wander around a lot and keep things simple, others have invested years in developing their deed(s) and their little corner of the map where they call home.  Some people like the history of the game's servers and have invested a lot of time in archeological activities- which would be wiped out and rendered obsolete with all the servers being wiped and combined into one new one.

Wurm is a great game, and all the servers are unique. I've not traveled them all, but I have friends that have and they talk of each servers differences- with regard to both community and geography.  The answer to building a better community and game experience is not to force everyone closer together into one server and wipe out everything that has been done and tell them all to start over with some temporary perks.  Be the kind of player that enjoys the game and is fun to live nearby.  Build a community of like minded players. Be friendly. Don't lament what you wish were different about the game from days gone by, but enjoy what it is. Wurm is a great game. The only negative thing I see in it are players who are negative all the time for no real good reason other than personal preferences and gripes, or they just like negativity and enjoy stirring things up.

Only a few settlements are recruiting on the forums.  I know from personal experience that if you put a good idea out there that you are personally passionate about, and give new players something to get involved in, they will join you if they like what you are offering and many will give the game a good chance, and some will stick around long term. Also, you'll attract some older experienced players that are looking for a good crowd to play with and that will make everyone's game a lot more interesting as well. ;) If you want a more active community to play with, start a recruitment forum post, or join a community or alliance that is active.  Wiping all the servers and restarting everyone on one or a series of smaller ones will drive many if not most from the game.

Just my humble, personal opinion.
~TH~

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 7

Never understood the need of so many servers my self, i guess that's easiest thing to come up with. "people getting bored to the game.... heyyy lets launch another server!"

but, this suggestion of yours will never happen tho, too much time required to start a new so it will be exhausting and cause too many players to quit if forced to move.

I like the place I have on Exodus, I like the Exodus island more than any other island so why would I want to start on a new place that may not give me the same happy feelings that Exodus does? I am sure I am not the only person that likes their island, after all people settle on specific island because they speak to them. Why take the chance that the new server may not speak to people like the current servers do.

• Like 1

There is no need for more servers, but there also isn't a need for less. I think we have the optimal amount at the moment so -1 from me. Servers should be empty enough for people to roam freely and build the deeds they want without being pushed against other peoples' deeds.

• Like 3

So only because in the short time you sailed at a server, you conclude there aren't many players living at it and severs need to be removed?

That's similar to saying: "I visited New York and although people claim there are millions of people living there, I have seen about 1,000, so tear the city down and build a proper one."

Deleting servers isn't a solution to keep this game alive. In fact, it's most likely a very good method to kill the game as the players living at the servers which got deleted won't return, considering all the time, money and effort they've put into the game is gone. I'm pretty certain I won't play this game again if Xanadu got deleted, as I have no intention at all to move to another sever and start over from scratch. And I'm quite certain players from any of the other servers think the same.

We've seen in the past months what happens when a server gets a restart. I think the most flattering name for it would be the "Epic server catastrophy".

We've seen what happens if we get a new server where players have to start from scratch.

So this idea is just a big no no.

Thorin :)

• Like 1

-1.  For all the reasons others have stated in this thread.  And for all the reasons others have stated in the many previous threads over the years on this subject.  All of which I will take the liberty of assuming you already know full well, judging by the creation date of your forum account. 

You couldn't be further from reality.

Wipe will shake the playerbase imo.. I honestly can not recall a single name who'd love to start over and lose current deed, items and creatures they own.

I'd rather try my rusty wu copy instead or another game than restarting here.

• Like 1

BIG -1 . Have most of my empire deleted to start over again? Nah. That would only mean many more peeps would quit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

Such merge or delete servers proposals have been made several times, and they are either the product of narrow minded microeconomic thought or just ignoring the nature of Wurm.

Even on the less populated servers, hundreds of players have settled, many of them still holding deeds, paying upkeep, subscribing for longer or shorter periods of time, even permanently along with some alts. The deeds often contain years of work and development, have unique features and history. There are years long joint works on large infrastructure projects such as highways through even the most adverse topology, tunnels, bridges, and canals. 

Though I am fairly short time on Wurm, my deed, mines, and canals already form an environment I would not wish and not bear to lose for some consolidation madness. I would certainly quit in such a case.

-1 because of exactly these reasons.

It seems very simple to solve the (very) real issue of low current player numbers by combining or reducing servers but I cannot imagine that ever being done.

I have one of my deeds on Pristine and often when I have logged on there are only four other players online. It may therefore seem logical to recommend the removal of Pristine but I would suggest that I have (and most other inhabitants will too) a real attachment to where I have chosen to make my home. I have spent almost every day since the server opened developing my deed and simply enjoying the escapism that Wurm (and Pristine in particular) offers. Moving my deed to another place on an alternate server would never be the same even though I could still enjoy the mechanics of Wurm. 

Rolf has always said that as long as there are players on the server it will not be closed- I trust him on this. I also trust the current team to fulfil his sentiment as well.

Just wait for Steam release of WO.  Then you'll have your 1 server with everyone on it.

-1     The cost to keep a server going is negligible. And each server is a home to many people. You don't push people out of their homes to move into your apartment.

Also, who said PVP was a failed experiment? A lot of bugs, mistakes made, and downright broken things sure. But we had years of pvp on both chaos and epic, much fun was had, and many good memories created in spite of all that.

• Like 4