Sign in to follow this  
Shrimpiie

QoL Improvements (Harder Fixes)

This is a list of more complicated but nice QoL changes/additions for Wurm.

My other thread with VERY easy adjustments/tweaks/changes is here: https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/171856-qol-improvements-easy-fixes/

1. Add a "profile" button to the quickbar; it is arguably one of the most important buttons for players to need quick access to, especially new ones, and it is currently buried all the way in the manage menu.
  2. Add a visual countdown timer of some sort for your current remaining play time able to be placed on the GUI; this takes finding your current premium time in Wurm out of the need for an old /command.
  3. Add a visual date counter able to be placed on the GUI; this takes finding the current time in Wurm out of the need for an old /command.
  4. Add the ability to "float" any tab currently in the event or local windows; currently you can only float the friends tab, but it would be nice to float any of them.
  5. Add the /help tab as a button to the quickbar; there are too many /commands to consider making them all a button of some sort but an easy way to access that listing that is quickly displayed to new players is useful.
  6. Add a small little examination message briefly outlining the skills when r-click>examine in the f2 skill tree; currently it just says something like "this is the skill digging. Use Find on Wurmpedia to see an explanation", which is superfluous as the "find on Wurmpedia" option is right there in the r-click menu.'
  7. Add a visual weather meter able to be placed on the GUI; currently it is locked in an old /command.
  8. Add the /weather command as a tooltip on mouse-over on a compass.
  9. Add a message in event for sent mail for who picked it up, what item it was, and for how much; currently there is no way to tell any of that information, just that your bank account was updated.
  10. Add a message in event for received mail for when who sent the item, what the item was, and how much it was for; would make searching logs for transactions considerably easier.
  11. Add a confirmation popup when you change the owner of an item; currently lots of items are accidentally transferred to new owners when someone is trying to type in simply a new name for something, requires a GM to fix.
  12. Add an r-click option as "dig to pile" under the regular "dig" option in the r-click menu; currently the ability to dig to a pile exists but you have to bind it manually through the settings or F1 tab; would be convenient to use the new keybinding system via the r-click menu.
  13. Add an r-click option as "drop to pile" in the drop sub menu; currently the ability to drop to a pile exists but you have to bind it manually through the settings or the F1 tab; would be convenient to use the new keybinding system via the r-click menu.
  14. Add a barred brick wall version for the various brick-based building walls that have the removable decorative wood trim at the top; currently only plain stone walls have this.
  15. Add quality-based speed for all vehicles; currently it only effects boats.
  16. Add the type of skillgain bonus applied in the status effect display; currently says "artisan ring, skillgain bonus", but not what skill is getting the bonus applied.
  17. Add fishing nets and tackleboxes to the list of allowed objects into a fishing rod rack; currently they do not fit but would make sense to be allowed in.
  18. Add a tool-tip on mouse-over of a firesource that includes how much longer in hours/minutes/seconds before it goes out; there is no reason to have the time until it goes out so vague anymore, it is confusing to new players.
  19. Change the amount of time until a firesource goes out into the r-click examine message to a number value instead of a vague range; there is no reason to have the time until it goes out so vague anymore, it is confusing to new players.
  20. Change caredfor status to be able to be overridden by someone with brand permissions to the deed the animal is branded to; currently if an animal is cared for by someone outside the deed you have no control or ability to remove that even though the animal is 100% owned by the deed.
  21. Change marsh tile removal to be from packing rather than floor board placement; it is unnecessary to require such a complex item to be needed to remove marshland that can cover whole bays; brings it in line with all other terrain type removal in the need only for packing(aside from resource tiles).
  22. Change the "fishing rod rack" to "fishing rack" or something similar; as per above 2 suggestions, wouldn't make sense to not change the name if items outside fishing rods were allowed in.
  23. Change mixed grass planting to result in a grass tile; it is confusing that it results in steppe and to get grass you need to plant thatch, flowers, or a sprout.
  24. Following on the above, have steppe made with thatch, as it better fit and more intuitive than the current system.
  25. Change archway right/left into just "side arch"; currently unnecessary to have both right and left archways.
  26. Change lock attaching for gates/doors to be instant on PvE; it is unnecessary and likely PvP code to have a timer connected to attaching a lock.
  27. Change stating a fence to allow starting from adjacent tiles similar to how house walls are started in PvE; it is unnecessary and likely PvP code.
  28. Change finishing a fence to allow standing next to it upon completion in PvE; it is unnecessary and likely PvP code.
  29. Change mission "decent" requirement to state something like "30ql or higher"; currently can be confusing to players and makes more sense to just give a quality value.
  30. Remove once and for all the fatigue function; it is hampering and unnecessary in this day and age.
  • Like 8
  • Cat 1

quit the disembark button from NEXT to attack button!

• Like 2

it still amazes me people hit the fatigue limit.

I have played for 7 years and never hit it.

On 11/7/2019 at 10:39 AM, Ascorbic said:

Yeah, I haven't either. But I suspect that's due to my playstyle rather than any imagined virtue on my part.  I'm too easily distracted by other things I need/want to do at any given time, plus I just don't have the stick-with-it-iveness  to do one thing long enough to trigger it.    BUT........(and this is a biiig But..), in principal the fatigue function should never have been a thing in a game where you are paying a monthly fee to play.  Any mechanic that prevents you from accessing what you are paying for needs to go.  I am fully on board with those who want it gone, and I can sympathize with those who's preferred playstyle does trigger it.

• Like 1

With all the place this and that here and there... does it make sense to have a customizable GUI with themes... not many games have these.. but I hardly believe old players who have used the game for 2-3-5-10/+ years.. are easily going to just start and get used to a new GUI without an issue. Or have somehow old features hidden and removed in the process or just be placed through more clicks than they need now to trigger the feature.

On 11/7/2019 at 8:39 PM, Ascorbic said:

You just wanted to make a boat or create 5-10,000 bricks in an afternoon(gone on.. for 1-3 days like that..), that's how you reached it

As for the suggestion to remove it... I strongly disagree, not that it matters.. but usually reaching it = really really really.. unhealthy habit of playing the game.. Instead offer replacement for the fatigue.. in the form of cashshop time, the number of people reaching the fatigue limit is way under 1%... letting them proceed with whatever at some cost makes sense... they'll just wait to recover fatigue or pay. Alternatively also offer certain actions to be free of fatigue, nature-related skills and actions.. maybe first aid.. there was once a report where you could put the fatigue time in the negative numbers doing first aid actions or natural substances... idea is not to do that.. but to either allow some actions to be completely free of fatigue.. or just take half of the time etc.... Allow people to reach it.. and move to another activity.. as they seem to overkill themselves on something already.. do not help them with that.

Warframe for example.. keeps bugging you every hour I think.. with a reminder that you've been playing for x hours... without a break.

Does this count as a QoL that makes sense to implement?

Edited by Finnn
found 1.. if you see another typo.. pm me.. or don't up to you

A possibly harder overwork would be to remove stupid distance restrictions. This applies to the braindead message "You are not allowed .." when trying to take stuff from the own vehicle from bit too far, but especially means access to containers on the next tile, sometimes even piles of items on the same tile.

An example: CYrtAFW.jpg

This is my main workshop, 3 tiles wide, and here, I am working on support beams as easily to figure. Logs are in the crate racks to the left, and ribbons and shafts in the bsb to the right.

When standing on the tile with the unfinished beams, I may be able to access the crate rack, but never the bsb at the same time, and vice versa, always receiving the braindead message "You are too far from the <logs|iron ribbons> now which drives me to rage quit.I have to hop back and forth to do my work.

Even worse, sometimes I even receice a "You are too far .." message when continuing work on  the pile of unfinished beams on the same tile! I have then to move back and forth to find the right spot to continue.

I am adding this to the "harder" proposals as, to my knowledge, the nonsense originates from a distance nerf introduced last year which may have legitimately addressed exploits of too liberal access from distance. The idiotic harrassment of crafters by it should be repaired soon, though.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

You often have to stay on top of a container to be able to take or put stuff from/in it, very much like I'd have to climb on top of my closet to put my clothes in. From "container" I understand any bulk container, carts, wagons and ships, containers inside the cart, wagons and ships, chests and furniture with a storage option, and whatever else I missed to list here.

I understand why the interacting distance had to be changed, but really ..

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 4:09 AM, Shrimpiie said:

7. Add a visual weather meter able to be placed on the GUI; currently it is locked in an old /command.

8. Add the /weather command as a tooltip on mouse-over on a compass.

i kinda smiled reading those and thought "whats the point" until the weather itself is changed mechanically. Now you /weather after the server restart and it sais  - gale coming from the south. so you just know, its gonna be the gale from the south until the next server restart lol

3 hours ago, Skatyna said:

i kinda smiled reading those and thought "whats the point" until the weather itself is changed mechanically. Now you /weather after the server restart and it sais  - gale coming from the south. so you just know, its gonna be the gale from the south until the next server restart lol

I did not understand that comment. The weather may and does change all time. Sailing frequently, I have a keybind 'bind alt+w /weather' to see whether I may face a damned slight breeze, or a nice gale. A button for might come in handy.

Edited by Ekcin
added / to /weather command

2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I did not understand that comment. The weather may and does change all time. Sailing frequently, I have a keybind 'bind alt+w weather' to see whether I may face a damned slight breeze, or a nice gale. A button for might come in handy.

different story on epic.. never seems to change unless servers get restarted from my experiences.. log in in the morning, check weather. log in in the evening after work - same weather.. log in next day, surprise, same weather...

I think Marsh removal should be more difficult than just packing. Perhaps it should requires a mixture of dirt, sand and gravel 

Edited by Fractal618

8 hours ago, Evening said:

You often have to stay on top of a container to be able to take or put stuff from/in it, very much like I'd have to climb on top of my closet to put my clothes in. From "container" I understand any bulk container, carts, wagons and ships, containers inside the cart, wagons and ships, chests and furniture with a storage option, and whatever else I missed to list here.

I understand why the interacting distance had to be changed, but really ..

This like can we not just make it where the range at which we can open an object is also the range at which we can interact with the object? it makes no sense gameplay wise that you can "look" inside a chest but not grab items out from it or a boat for that matter like i can understand the whole bug with 2nd floor thing but do what they do with bridges having a check in place to be on the same floor before you can take from 2nd floor or higher instead of make take distance so dam short

On that subject make it so that we can open and interact with boats form anywhere where their model is quite often im at the mast or near the mast of my knarr and i still cant open the dam thing 😕

[Your idea] - = - 🔫🔫🔫 Pew Pew Pew 

Then we will need glass display cases for merchants and traders.

With love,

Fractal 618

7 hours ago, Fractal618 said:

I think Marsh removal should be more difficult than just packing. Perhaps it should requires a mixture of dirt, sand and gravel 

I agree ❤️

2 hours ago, wipeout said:

This like can we not just make it where the range at which we can open an object is also the range at which we can interact with the object? it makes no sense gameplay wise that you can "look" inside a chest but not grab items out from it or a boat for that matter like i can understand the whole bug with 2nd floor thing but do what they do with bridges having a check in place to be on the same floor before you can take from 2nd floor or higher instead of make take distance so dam short

On that subject make it so that we can open and interact with boats form anywhere where their model is quite often im at the mast or near the mast of my knarr and i still cant open the dam thing 😕

I suspect a bit that the whole distance nerf has been done due to some PvP kids grabbing stones/ores from piles on the ground while operating a treb or cata on top of a 16 story tower or 2k dirt/tar wall 🤩.

Yet I would understand that I can open and inspect a container, even drop (throw ;) ) items in it while being out of reach to take them. Only it is absurd not to be able to access containers from the adjacent tile, and getting "You are too far .." messages when crafting objects on the same tile.

17 minutes ago, Shrimpiie said:

Le Bump!

Shrimpiie uses splash!
is not effective!

• Like 1