Sign in to follow this  
Cipacadrinho

Make "Winter is coming!" great again in Wurm Online

One of the major issues with Freedom cluster is the fact that the servers (especially the water front) are littered with old terraformed deed area abandoned building etc. making it hard for new people to settle and enjoy themselves (someone made a thread about a guy that started Wurm came to xan could not find good waterfront untouched land did not find the sense of adventure/taming new land because of it so quit).

So what if you make winter be the great equilizer? Once the snow melts.. all the abandoned buildings and items (carts boats etc) and disbanded deeds would be wiped.. deleted .. make them go poof and have grass and trees grow instead making it look like virgin land?

Sure the mines should be left alone but i think it would help.

And even if you just delete the disbanded deed buildings and items you still gain performance from less items to load and for the server to keep track of.

And even if ppl will come back after months or years is ok if they cant find their boat anymore just make another one that means 1 extra client for the boatmakers or if the player has the skill can do it himself alot faster than 1st time.

I know that a very important part of Wurm's identity is the fact the players have a long lasting impact on the world and i dont want that to be lost.

But if a player leaves not only you lost that customer but the stuff he leaves behind may prevent a new player from making Wurm his home for a while untill he moves on to other game too.

So i think the highways and bridges are  ok to stay but i would very much think that clearing the ###### on the coastlines made by ppl that won't even come back is a good move in order to provide oportunities for new players to feel like they are having a fresh start and taming new land.

You can even use this to create a perk for the new loyalty system Wetwo is working on: for every month you were premed you get 0.5% less decay for the stuff you made while you are inactive.

So make ppl scream and shiver yelling: Winer is coming! secure my sheet pay my deed or have it wiped.

I guess  a good compromise would be to put the jackal beacon code on the deed token of starter towns and have full wipe in 200 tiles radius then accelerated decay for the next 300 (sweetspot to grind repairing?:) and a bit less for the next 300.

This could make newbies cry out on CA_HELP: all my stuff i made for weeks is gone now!? and someone would reply: are you near a starter town?  And when they say yes you can go: well you played at a started town for weeks you have the skills to adventure and found your deed now.

Leave the tit of the starter town for the new new ppl!

Edited by Cipacadrinho

The new system that sends e-mails with: "your deed expires in x days" should help ppl decide if they want it gone or not.

And guess what.. if they decide to pay maint even tho they are not playing but dont want the stuff to be deleted over night  you will still get money from them.

So is a win win right? If player decides to keep they deed Code AB gets the money .. if they don't then teh plot gets wiped clean and a new player makes a deed there and Code AB gets the money.

Right now stuff rots abandoned for months/years not making Code AB any money while preventing a new player spend their money on a new deed because he cannot find a non littered piece of land.

LE Emoo sugested to just accelerate rotting based on last time the creator loged in. This way the non prem active players are not losing everything every winter while the stuff of someone that has not loged on 3months+ can just be wiped full in next winter from the 3 months have passed?

Alternatively wipe all every winter and non prem players can live in starter towns or caves. It never hurts to have an incentive for people to prem so....

Edited by Cipacadrinho

Yeah I knew the winter wasn't so far off when the Halloween Event took place. Just in time for me setting up my new deed. So been roleplying out my elf here, trying to get my place setup, stock up on foods, etc. Doing pretty good myself.

Still trying to learn the game, there so much I don't know, but I am a quick learner :)

2 minutes ago, Wildelf said:

Yeah I knew the winter wasn't so far off when the Halloween Event took place. Just in time for me setting up my new deed. So been roleplying out my elf here, trying to get my place setup, stock up on foods, etc. Doing pretty good myself.

Still trying to learn the game, there so much I don't know, but I am a quick learner :)

That is great to hear and welcome to Wurm but this is a suggestions thread so why you do this?

Are you undercover Wetwogwade trying to troll us back?:)

This sounds like a decent idea. But I don't think it should be a total and unconditional wipe, because winter is too frequent and people leave for too long. but I think that something like very increased decay during winter would be a good idea, and this could open the doors to things like maybe more water and food usage in summer, or more fertile crops in spring (what happens in Autumn...? not really a thing here, ha-ha). I do like the idea of terraforming gradually resetting, too. It seems like it would be possible, because of the way terrain appears in the distance. I think that things like this would be really cool, because not only does it give the game a natural feel, but it gives you a better idea of history, too.

Anyway, that's my ramble. This sounds like a good idea!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MinorArchitect said:

This sounds like a decent idea. But I don't think it should be a total and unconditional wipe, because winter is too frequent and people leave for too long. but I think that something like very increased decay during winter would be a good idea

'

I mean this is ment to create born again virgin land for new players. So they could even use things like the beacon code on jackal to have areas that expand little by little and have the decay rate of stuff in range of a started town be alot stronger and get lower and lower the further you get.

This could also help educate new players about the ql of stuff they make matter when considering how long it takes to go poof and that imping them is a thing.

This way new players taking the inde portal to a  server/start town of their choice can find good land around it to get themselves started while the experienced players can deed further away and have less decay.

This also means that newbies will get to live near starter towns which means merchants in them can actually sell stuff now? :)

Full wipe is better because just having accelerated decay rate could make those areas even more littered because now ppl just drop stuff there to grind repair skill in spring:)

So i still believe the winter clean-up would be a good equaliser for items and lessen the littered feel of a server.

I mean you go to find a nice quiet lakeside  spot to terraform and deed but all you find is abandoned terraformed ######.. Is like the real life version of plastic bottles and containers :)

It should be easy: you want to keep it? pay the maintenance for it. Now the mailing system will give warnings so no need to keep track yourself. If you dont pay for it it will be wiped to provide a spot for a new player. You can always return and use your already grinded skills to create teh stuff you need in alot less time and with some more xp gain too.

Edited by Cipacadrinho
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cipacadrinho said:

That is great to hear and welcome to Wurm but this is a suggestions thread so why you do this?

Are you undercover Wetwogwade trying to troll us back?:)

Hmm sorry I don't know anyone name Wetwogwade, just making my interests that is all. Sorry for flaming your post.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wonka said:

-1 no thanks

Excellent contribution please read this:

36 minutes ago, Wildelf said:

Hmm sorry I don't know anyone name Wetwogwade, just making my interests that is all. Sorry for flaming your post.

Hehe. Don't take offense, none taken. Retrograde is the Community Relations Coordinator. He's a bit of a larrikin, I guess.

Good to see a new player here. Hope you enjoy!

4 hours ago, Cipacadrinho said:

One of the major issues with Freedom cluster is the fact that the servers (especially the water front) are littered with old terraformed deed area abandoned building etc. making it hard for new people to settle and enjoy themselves

Count yourself lucky, when i landed most coastal areas were occupied by active deeds. I had to found a deed inside a bay and draw distance sucks (except for trees), it was the only spot on the entire east coast of deli.
At least you can place a deed then accelerate decay with your perimeter tiles.

So what if you make winter be the great equilizer? Once the snow melts.. all the abandoned buildings and items (carts boats etc) and disbanded deeds would be wiped.. deleted .. make them go poof and have grass and trees grow instead making it look like virgin land?
And even if ppl will come back after months or years is ok if they cant find their boat anymore just make another one that means 1 extra client for the boatmakers or if the player has the skill can do it himself alot faster than 1st time.

Not boats, many players sold their deed or allowed it to disband.. those players store all their possessions inside their inventory and or boats.
Boats are banks that cost no upkeep.

And even if you just delete the disbanded deed buildings and items you still gain performance from less items to load and for the server to keep track of.

+1 i think the buildings should pop when the first wall rots. There's bound to be players that disagree.. If my deed disbanded and i wasn't aware of it, i'd prefer logging in to see a couple of walls missing than a couple of buildings. but with the new email system telling you twice that your deed is about to disband, +1 from me

So i think the highways and bridges are  ok to stay

*stares at you, unblinking*

You can even use this to create a perk for the new loyalty system Wetwo is working on: for every month you were premed you get 0.5% less decay for the stuff you made while you are inactive.

16.7 years for 100%, i like it.

I guess  a good compromise would be to put the jackal beacon code on the deed token of starter towns and have full wipe in 200 tiles radius then accelerated decay for the next 300 (sweetspot to grind repairing?:) and a bit less for the next 300.

This could make newbies cry out on CA_HELP: all my stuff i made for weeks is gone now!?
and someone would reply: are you near a starter town?  And when they say yes you can go: well you played at a started town for weeks you have the skills to adventure and found your deed now.

Too assumptive. Buildings only pop, not bsb's, not crates, not tools. I +1 that.
Buildings disappearing would allow you to build, the objects can either be removed when you deed over them or you can bash them as a mayor once you have the body skill to be effective. as for wagons that vultures leave behind, i had to get a gm to remove over 30 of them once.. shortly after that fast-push was introduced for on deed. Fast-push takes care of that. if there's horses, pack their ground.

Leave the tit of the starter town for the new new ppl!

Alot of new people come in from other servers and search coastlines. that was my story after 2 weeks on indy.
I think a portal in every starter town that goes to the other starter towns is very needed but that's a different suggestion thread.

+1 for buildings pop if - +undeeded+walldecayed+winter
There are folk that build without placing a deed, making it winter only, means they can breath easy until `winter is coming`.
once they get their skills up they can imp their walls so as not to worry.

Spoiler

And finally, `winter is coming` was never great. It's become better thanks to graphical improvements.
before then, snow shovels was one of the most common suggestion threads on the forum.
I paved my entire deed with floorboards to remove the 80% marsh then slate slab paving (which is now slate brick) which took a year because of the mats involved (it wasn't 1 brick and floorboards were not as quick as they are now).
For a year or two after that, snow never settled on slate slab (now brick) paving.
..and then it did.
so then, i never played in the winter because all that white kills the creative process and destroys the subtle contrasts that you've built up over years.
Or i'd hide in the mine
Course now, it's not so bad. Snow looks pretty good.
On the whole yeah, we can do more with winter.
Decay isn't what i would have chosen because frozen stuff doesn't.. decay very fast.
But i guess i can imagine snow storms and water getting into places it doesn't belong.

Edited by Steveleeb

1 hour ago, Cipacadrinho said:

Excellent contribution please read this:

-1 no thanks.

And it's still a poor idea and impossible to implement in a way that doesn't cause more problems than it solves.

Edited by Wonka
  • Like 1

Nah boats should disapear too. No free rides.

If people want to keep their stuff in a boat they  can rent a parking space on an active deed for their boat. It creates a new market and  promotes player interaction :)

If you dont trust them then can just make a 1s upkeep deed and store all your stuff there.  No storage should be for free anymore takes space from people hoarding items for years and not logging back for another few years but the server has to load their crap all the time even tho they have not made a single payment towards Code AB in years.

Pay for it or lose it. Virgin land for new players.

Edited by Cipacadrinho

35 minutes ago, Wonka said:

-1 no thanks.

And it's still a poor idea and impossible to implement in a way that doesn't cause more problems than it solves.

Please provide a meaningful point of view or stop posting i dont need the bumps even tho i apreciate them :)

1 hour ago, MinorArchitect said:

Hehe. Don't take offense, none taken. Retrograde is the Community Relations Coordinator. He's a bit of a larrikin, I guess.

Good to see a new player here. Hope you enjoy!

Thank you, really like it. Took me awhile to learn the ropes, etc.

Ok, I may elaborate why I am against the proposal (though nobody is compelled to do so). Other than your suggestion pretends it does not create "virgin land". Rather it speeds up structure and item decay off deed in a 45 day period. And your "Pay for it or lose it" sounds quite alike and in no way better than the motto of the ruthless "deed it or lose it".

As to virgin land, there will not be regrowth of dirt or unflatting of surface mined areas no sinking of dirtdrop islands into the seas. Such is close to impossible as it would require a state of equilibrium to return to which does not exist, as the shape of the lands is determined by the players, and that is the nature of Wurm. Your idea also lacks any thinking through the mechanics, e.g. how paved areas, non highway parish roads etc. should be treated.

As to buildings, they undergo accelerated decay (30dmg/day on average) once the owner has not logged on to the server for 3 subsequent months. The slower decay of ships and vehicles does exist, yet they rot away, and I saw a number of them vanish over the time, and mind that I am not yet playing very long. That they do not rot faster is a boon rather than a problem, also for owners of ships and vehicles which frequently are parked or moored off deed. There are enough daily chores already, excessive repairwork would be a pain.

There may be flaws in the recent situation, but it also protects new players who frequently tentatively build small squatter homes off deed, also hunting cottages, roadside inns and safe huts and other stuff generated outside of deeds for personal or public use. There is enough to pay for in the game already.

So, in summary, -1

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 4

Ekcin says it pretty well.

Tweaking the decay rate of things is fine. Perhaps some things need to decay faster. But wiping things out completely every winter is a very crude broad brush kind of thing. It will create plenty of unhappiness and won't result in virgin land anyway because all the terraforming stays.

So, -1 to that.