Sign in to follow this  
MinorArchitect

Client not launching.

Hi there. I've been trying to get the client to launch on this new desktop I got, but it doesn't seem to want to co-operate. I managed to get it working a few days ago, but didn't have time to log on, so I just left it there with the computer on standby. That was before the Novermber 4 Update, so when I turned it back on it was displaying the News from the 31st. I logged in and clicked go, but it crashed as soon as it got to the game window. Since then, I have been unable to get the launcher to... launch. It brings up the first Wurm Online logo, then disappears and hangs around task manager, using relatively minimal resources but doing absolutely nothing. Right now I have the Normal and Low Memory clients "running" but neither of them are doing anything.I have deleted all Wurm-related things from my computer that  know of and reinstalled but the problem persists. I was wondering if anyone can help me.
Cheers!

P.S: I should also add that I have just tried to run the launcher on Ubuntu Linux on a different computer, and a similar thing happens, but the program terminates after trying to launch. not sure if this is related, but I though I should add.

Edited by MinorArchitect
Added something else

The issue still persists. I am able to launch on a computer that I have previously installed Wurm on, though.

Edited by MinorArchitect
made it better

9 hours ago, MinorArchitect said:

I am able to launch on a computer that I have previously installed Wurm on, though.

seems to me that sometimes happened when people had a cached version with a bad certificate. there is an old thread here that suggested the following steps to clear a cache:

• Go to Start, Run, type "javaws -viewer" and hit enter.
  • Highlight Wurm and hit the red X to delete it.
  • Click "Close" in the bottom right.
  • The Java Control Panel should be open. Click the "Security" tab.
  • Click "Certificates".
  • Highlight "OnetooFree AB" and click "Remove".
  • Close everything and try running Wurm again. 

I don;t know how much things have changed since they redid the client, it is possible the cached old version thing is no longer na issue and that the steps above are no longer even possible -- but it is something easy to try

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Sorry for the late reply.

18 hours ago, Lisimba said:

Can you provide any logs?

Unfortunately no, as far as I know. I’ll take another look in a few minutes, but the client will install but will not run properly or download the actual game, so I don’t think that there is anywhere that logs can be kept.

Make sure you have the most recent Java version installed on your desktop as well as making sure there is not an old Java version installed on top of the new one. Sometimes old versions will overwrite new versions for whatever reason. Also, when you say download the actual game, I noticed you were able to login. Is this problem still going on? Additionally, I have like 3-4 different Wurm Clients on my desktop, some in which don't even run. One is named Wurm Online [Live], Wurm Online, wurmclient, Wurm Online [Choose Client], and the only one that runs for me is Wurm Online [Live]. Do some trial and error on running different clients on the lowest setting, and making sure your screen resolution is right. My client will consistently crash if I'm running Windows full screen and higher than 800x600. Go with windows resizeable and try 800x600 and below.

Just deleted Wurm again, installed java, and reinstalled Wurm, and still it sits in Background processes everytime I try to run the launcher. I don't even get a GUI apart from when it tries to say "Launching Wurm Online" then dies in less than half a second(it does say it is installing the client and the runtime the first time I run the launcher, though, but that's it). While I am still able to play wurm on another computer, I would really appreiate it if someone could help me get this sorted out.

2 hours ago, MinorArchitect said:

While I am still able to play wurm on another computer, I would really appreiate it if someone could help me get this sorted out.

1. If clearing the java cache did nothing, try going to the launcher and (BEFORE logging in) set the graphics to windows resizeable 800x600.   Wurm used to crash to desktop at certain resolutions full screen. Maybe it doesn't anymore, but setting it to "windows resizeable 800x600" will at least rule that out. 
  2. Try also making a new TEST character. If it only happens when you try to log in your MAIN character, and a brand new test character works fine,  it is probably somehow in a "bad" spot and you may need a GM to move the character. (Since you CAN play on a different computer, this is unlikely the problem because it should affect both computers, unless your problem computer cannot display something nearby for unknown reasons).

Do you know what specific graphics adapter you have on the problem computer, and can you also check what the specific driver date is? (Don;t ever trust Windows Update if it claims you already have the best driver already). If you do not know how to get the specific adapter model, or the specific driver date, I can walk you through that.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

19 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

1. If clearing the java cache did nothing, try going to the launcher and (BEFORE logging in) set the graphics to windows resizeable 800x600.   Wurm used to crash to desktop at certain resolutions full screen. Maybe it doesn't anymore, but setting it to "windows resizeable 800x600" will at least rule that out. 
  2. Try also making a new TEST character. If it only happens when you try to log in your MAIN character, and a brand new test character works fine,  it is probably somehow in a "bad" spot and you may need a GM to move the character.

I don't think I am explaining myself. I can not follow these steps because I can not launch the launcher. On the machine/s concerned, I can not check the news or attempt to log in, because that menu does not come up whatsoever. When I run the shortcut "Wurm Online", or the unstable client through the "Choose Client" Menu, It just says "Wurm Online", that disappears(as it should), then it says "Launching Wurm Online" for half a second then nothing, drops to background processes indefinitely. I am installing it on a 2015 all-in-one with an old i3 processor and 2gb of ram that I am intending to use for something other than gaming for the most part, using the win-32 installer, if that matters.