Sign in to follow this  
Seriphina

What is a decoration?

Since the recent update that removes decay from decorative items, I feel like there should be an expanded list of items that qualify as decoration.  One could assume that the list of decorations is limited to the items on this list. Such a limiting list of items is frustrating.

We have beautiful empty bookcases to fill with... no, books aren't on the decorations list.

The Valentines Pottery would look great on top of... not on the list either.

Place settings! A fork, spoon, and a knife would... No, can't cut food with that decaying knife. They look extra silly when the plate disappears.

I can't pick Woad if I place the planter on a surface, surely... no.

I understand that defining an item as decoration simply because it is not useful unless removed from the surface/container can be an exploit. We need clear definitions of what is and is not a decoration so that we can plan accordingly and not be surprised or upset down the road.  And whatever list is provided, I'm hoping to see that list expanded.

Suggested items to be included in the decoration subtype:

Books

Paper

Journals

Knife

Plate

Valentines Pottery

Planter pot (planted with herb/woad)

Pottery Amphora (Small and large)

Reed Pen

Edited by Seriphina
Clarity
  • Like 3

Isn't this a town-square or other section instead.. as it's a question and not... a suggestion?
It's a request for the list of items which got on the decoration/no-decay wagon.

--edit

sql query, sort.. reply.. seems like easy thing to answer

Edited by Finnn

23 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Isn't this a town-square or other section instead.. as it's a question and not... a suggestion?
It's a request for the list of items which got on the decoration/no-decay wagon.

--edit

sql query, sort.. reply.. seems like easy thing to answer

It's a suggestion in that I'm asking for certain items to be added to the list, but if mods feel it should be  moved, then so be it.

Edited by Seriphina

Perhaps what we need isn't a list of items that are decorations, but a list of items that you feel should be added as decorations. Some of these items, such as knives that you have mentioned, obviously also have uses as a tool, thus perhaps there is a need for something like a "decorative knife" that you can place and that won't take damage while knives you can cut food with will decay like other tools.

Valentine's Pottery has a unique decay system, you can water it to remove it, which makes sense to me, but I guess it's not for everyone. However, these ones haven't taken any damage on my deed in ages.

Books... yes. Big issue. They are only used for decoration, and the pages decay away and all your effort is gone. Makes you just not want to do it.

So if we're going to have a suggestion thread to add items as decorations, so far from what you've said I understand we should have decorative place sets, valentine's potteries and books + pages. Perhaps we can come up with a more extensive list and think about ways to make items that can double as deco and tool possible as a decoration without opening up options to exploit them as tools at the same time.

As for the topic placement, it's perfectly fine in suggestions. The title doesn't show it but if you read the content of the post it becomes clear. :) 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Yldrania said:

So if we're going to have a suggestion thread to add items as decorations, so far from what you've said I understand we should have decorative place sets, valentine's potteries and books + pages. Perhaps we can come up with a more extensive list and think about ways to make items that can double as deco and tool possible as a decoration without opening up options to exploit them as tools at the same time.

Perhaps implement a way to convert any item into a decorative version. By applying some preservative to it, or perhaps with a (fairly easy) magic spell, or whatever makes sense. When this is done the item will no longer take damage (at least when on deed), won't form a pile when dropped, can't be imped anymore, and can't be used for anything whatsoever except being a decoration. This would be a one way conversion so it can't be used to store things you don't want damaged.

This would make it possible to keep reasonable decay rates for things, yet use anything as decoration.

Edited by Lisimba
More words.

22 hours ago, Yldrania said:

Perhaps what we need isn't a list of items that are decorations, but a list of items that you feel should be added as decorations.

I'd like both lists... as the one will be the current options that you are sure wont take damage when dropped/placed somewhere; and the other list is.. I guess a suggestion list for new items to join the first list?

About books..

Does it make sense to have bookshelves... which give 0 decay for a full book(max pages), maybe option to wax them(?) in addition page by page, that way it will take some more work to do per book.. and should slightly demotivate massive creation and hoarding(which we know will happen ANYWAY).

BUT.. by making only full books, should be easier to have 1 item, rather than thousands in the db.. also.. only variation will be the pages and content on them.

QL - irrelevant... make it decorative bragging rights.. or cap the max pages which the book could hold.. just to be the wurm style of scaling... : /

Storing them...

Bookshelves - unlocked, 0 decay ondeed for max-page books with waxed or whatever page preservation technique..; locking a shelf(ondeed) or being offdeed could trigger decay at slowed or normal rate possibly?

Make it so shelves can not be locked.. or offdeed these shelves only providing slowed decay rather than 0 decay(ondeed), that way.. even if a deed falls.. and a shelf is locked.. the books will eventually go out of the game..(guessing some point of the decay system is to take stuff away somehow)

Edited by Finnn