Sign in to follow this  
Shag

The Future of Wurm Online

You searched Wurm

Perhaps you meant Archeage?

Edited by Seriphina

O-K, I ..... tried.. I have to note.. I had some time to kill waiting on something .. but.. once I reached the investment and so on.. it was deadly bore, but still sane opinion..

..next we get to: 

Onward. "closer to real" a death must account for a heavier loss. I'd recommend 20% to 30% all skills loss. 

I refuse to read further..

Thank you for your time writing that.. I ain't playing such a 'game'; if I play some game it's to have fun or compete, even though there's rarely a reason for that(I've been around and tried a bunch of games, it's all the same, and nobody gives a .. if you're on top or not in the end, what matters is to be having fun and mostly be in the 70-90% to experience it all if you're into that, what these percentages mean could be another thing in a sandbox, it's not just skills, your deed location or view could give you the 100% you want or need, alone(just an example).

If there's a massive penalty to simple things.. well.. such games die fast.

Maybe eve have it's success transferring resources between players in pvp and it's all good there, but.. I don't ........ like or play eve, right, so.. what's the conclusion here.. player base or preference matters?

"Great suggestion", I'll -1 this, also you've put your vision in the wrong section, I wont report it.. but for 10+ years of playing wurm.. learn where to post already.

Thank you, I'll try to never ever post pr read in this thread again(lost that much interest).

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

O-K, I ..... tried.. I have to note.. I had some time to kill waiting on something .. but.. once I reached the investment and so on.. it was deadly bore, but still sane opinion..

..next we get to: 

I refuse to read further..

Thank you for your time writing that.. I ain't playing such a 'game'; if I play some game it's to have fun or compete, even though there's rarely a reason for that(I've been around and tried a bunch of games, it's all the same, and nobody gives a .. if you're on top or not in the end, what matters is to be having fun and mostly be in the 70-90% to experience it all if you're into that, what these percentages mean could be another thing in a sandbox, it's not just skills, your deed location or view could give you the 100% you want or need, alone(just an example).

If there's a massive penalty to simple things.. well.. such games die fast.

Maybe eve have it's success transferring resources between players in pvp and it's all good there, but.. I don't ........ like or play eve, right, so.. what's the conclusion here.. player base or preference matters?

"Great suggestion", I'll -1 this, also you've put your vision in the wrong section, I wont report it.. but for 10+ years of playing wurm.. learn where to post already.

Thank you, I'll try to never ever post pr read in this thread again(lost that much interest).

finn, is a troll account parodying old grumpy wurm players thats not want changes but moreover want make it more hard because qol means make it easiier

• Like 1

LOL.  Hard to come up with much more than LOL.  Maybe ROFLMAO!    Wasn't even gonna bother posting in this thread but I'm just in that kind of mood this morning.  :)

The whole thing sounds like the ravings of some con artist pyramid scheme, get-rich salesman with that talk of how it should be "half game and half mutual fund investment software"  and putting in x hours per day like a job, and return on investment, blah, blah, blah.  Either that or the enthusiastic but nonsensical ramblings of someone like a relative of mine who is high-functioning autistic. Harmless but not to be taken too seriously.  Then again, could just an incredibly elaborate troll post by someone with way too much time on his/her hands.  LOL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tamat said:

finn, is a troll account parodying old grumpy wurm players thats not want changes but moreover want make it more hard because qol means make it easiier

Finn's not a 'troll account', just have personal opinion about things and sometimes is.. brutally honest about stuff.. lets put that aside, wasn't trolling, also... nvm damm it tamat you made my return :X

Edited by Finnn

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

Finn's not a 'troll account', just have personal opinion about things and sometimes is.. brutally honest about stuff.. lets put that aside, wasn't trolling, also... nvm damm it tamat you made my return :X

not you, OP

While I was reading the OP I was reminded a lot of Second Life. I played that game for a short while years ago because it had some interesting building mechanics but the money making aspects of it really offered no attraction to me. I could see that the game was really centered around this part with people making their "shops" to sell merchandise that they had created, mostly a lot of clothing options. Then there was the "real estate" part of it where players would try to purchase new properties in "choice" locations to later resell for a profit. Some few even "invested" in buying their own islands, then subdividing them to resell or develop with "nightclubs" or other gathering places. The whole "markets" were over saturated with these things with everyone trying to make $$$$ from everyone else.

My opinion is that online games can never simulate accurately real life economies in a sustainable proportion to create enough money making capacity for any but a niche portion of those who are playing the game. There will simply be too many people selling similar objects and services to one another. If there is any freedom to make a choice of professions those with a focus upon making a living from playing the game will not have the discipline to proportion out these professions to benefit the whole system but rather seek out what will make them the most $$$$ income. The way RL economies have developed have taken 100's of years to meld into the current world economic functioning. Anyone who believes that they can create this within an online game which in turn will be an alternative source of income not tied to the world outside of it is just letting their imagination run away with them.

The main attraction of online games is as an escape from the world outside of them. This is what makes them popular, so to attempt to return people to reality within them is defeating the purpose. If this happens to some game then fewer people will play it and seek their escape elsewhere.

Wurm offers its own unique escape back to a more peaceful world without all the problems of the outside world intruding into it. If your crops rot no big deal, just plant some more. The rain won't destroy them either by saturating the ground creating mold and fungus problems. Want more trees to create your own forest environment? Just pick sprouts from existing ones and plant them. They never even die when old, they just turn into young ones and it all cycles through the ages once again. This is no place for reality or destruction of all progress made by character death or destruction of your Village that you have carefully created over years of time. It all remains unviolated if you pay the small price for it. No natural disasters here. This is the attraction of the PvE servers. Let's just keep reality to the minimum here, for few of us want any of that.

I would agree that Wurm does not need any "saving". What it really needs is to continue to offer what it uniquely does in it's own particular escapist way. It is like an island that can only sustain so many people with its resources. Let the big city folks seek out their crowds and keep far away from here. If they come and then depart this was not the place for them. If RL intrudes with its demands then they best see to those first for with those more pressuring matters they can not afford to idle away the hours here. Responsibility is a personal issue that the game has no obligation nor intent to fulfill.

Always the doomsayers appear with their grandiose plans of transformation of the game to their approval under the veil of good intentions. Perhaps we would prefer never to have to gaze into that face and of course within Wurm you never do.....

=Ayes=

5 hours ago, Ayes said:

Responsibility is a personal issue that the game has no obligation nor intent to fulfill.

But it will eventually stop people from playing regardless. Seems very elemental to me that this is bad for the game's health, but it's the flip side of your statement that you seem to callously dismiss.

But hey, no longer finding enough time to get anything done in a snails pace for noone in particular because I don't even know who I started the latest tunnel project for, since everyone else quit already, is entirely on me. Guess after 3 years of non-stop playing, it turns out the game "is just not for me".

A lot had changed for me, while Wurm changed drastically little when I hoped for some innovation and was severely let down instead(Jackal was kind of the last straw that soured the game entirely for me). I know I'm not the only one falling behind in the time investment demanded by the game. Yet I've seen it all too often that people come who are extremely interested in some aspects of Wurm, its complexity and breadth of features, building possibilities (though they are quite restricted due to an antique software architecture), niches to fill, possibilities and landscapes to explore...

but they don't find enough time, or are frustrated by other aspects, and that means - just because one bad thing manages to outweigh the many positive ones - "the game isn't for you, move on". And eventually they do.

I know it'll be just dismissed as the ramblings of "another meaningless quitter", most notably by the developers, but for my own peace of mind I have to say this:

This uncompromising, almost elitist stance about which player "is right for the game" is a very sad hill to see Wurm chosing to die on.