Sign in to follow this  
Madnath

Metal item transmutation

When the metal characteristics change went live, people with nice rare/supreme weapons probably felt a little short changed now their great iron weapons were now inferior (to most people) than their silver counterparts.

I think it's pretty fair to offer players a way to change metal type of an item, one way or another. I have so many rare/supreme items I don't want to give up that I'd KILL to turn them to silver metal type.

Perhaps it could be done using transmutation liquids? Maybe a rune? Maybe a paid trader item? If you use transmutation liquid or rune, you could allow it to do a random roll for common metal types. If it's a paid item, give the choice for metal type.

• Like 5

Would rather turn my items to steel :P but whatever yeah, would be nice to have

Sounds good! Maybe a transmutation liquid where you need to use to create it the approx amount of target metal that you would have used up for imping the said item to its current level.

Transmutation could work then  like tile transmutation.

This way no abuse where you imp a heavy  iron item high then just turn it to another metal when ready 

Huge +1. What Jax said sounds good to me, either that or an automated return to creation QL upon the change.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm happy however it's added, I just really want to be able to convert my weapons from poo iron and cool silver

lets meta all to silver weapons for the 10% damage in short

5 hours ago, Finnn said:

lets meta all to silver weapons for the 10% damage in short

I've seen lead being used, and people still like steel weapons. Silver has a significant drawback in its damage taken which is more than enough for people to go to other options.

This isn't about changing to a new "meta" type, it's about giving us at least some option to adjust our options after metal characteristics were dropped on us.

I was actually thinking about something like this using small village tokens, high difficulty action with a capped ql result.

Didn't think much more beyond this and haven't written anything up than a few scribbles on my palm "make tokens make metals" but my thinking was requiring it as the (or a) ingredient used to change the metal type, high difficulty action with restoration (or metallurgy) skill and token ql impacting resulting ql of the item. 

You'd want to avoid gaming of creating instant high ql moonmetal stuff, could be far more difficult or require an item being in the same "category" (base metal, alloy, moonmetal).

• Like 2

I assume this would be something that required very high alchemy and metallurgy skills to pull off?  Perhaps lower alchemy and metallurgy skill requirements for the more common metals, but much higher skills needed for the more rare and valuable metals.

Changing one type of metal into another just screams alchemy, but I see nothing mentioned in this discussion so far concerning alchemy playing a role in this.  I would also imagine the alchemist doing the work would need to have a good understanding of metals as well in order to apply his alchemy craft in manipulating one metal type into another.

Edited by Thalius

And a new meta was born.. mm token + shields/lg.mauls/armors? Convert, smelt, blah blah..

While we're at it.. can we make dragon armor the same way? Kill a pheasant and use a feather, tar and something to make a scale?

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

I was actually thinking about something like this using small village tokens, high difficulty action with a capped ql result.

Didn't think much more beyond this and haven't written anything up than a few scribbles on my palm "make tokens make metals" but my thinking was requiring it as the (or a) ingredient used to change the metal type, high difficulty action with restoration (or metallurgy) skill and token ql impacting resulting ql of the item. 

You'd want to avoid gaming of creating instant high ql moonmetal stuff, could be far more difficult or require an item being in the same "category" (base metal, alloy, moonmetal).

I was honestly thinking that moonmetal would just not be transmutable to totally avoid this, which I'd be fine with. Or maybe just make it so after transmutation, it's taken down to 1QL?

5 minutes ago, Finnn said:

And a new meta was born.. mm token + shields/lg.mauls/armors? Convert, smelt, blah blah..

While we're at it.. can we make dragon armor the same way? Kill a pheasant and use a feather, tar and something to make a scale?

What in gods green flat Earth are you even talking about

Edited by Madnath

just damage control, I start from there...

Silver= op damage vs other

steel = gg durability

mm is mm.. who doesn't like the MMs ..

Spoiler

Plain-M&Ms-Pile.jpg

rest is pretty much meh... unless you consider lead as bashing material for something for pve/pvp

was there any good actual use for electrum? didn't think so

it's mostly silver/mm/ steel is not really a thing but.. lets include it for the lulz, all that could tickle a few things one way or another.. rest of the metals are pretty much boring, depends what the rules are ofc.. making a weight heavy this and turning it into that.. could mean less metalurgy work in general.. as for OP you just want to not deal with priests/markets and all that and just make a bunch of silver weapons for the damage meta, simple idea, lets throw out everything and accept this, we could all be using silver weapons tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

we could all be using silver weapons tomorrow.

>not using lead weapons

this post made by the meta gang

29 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

>not using lead weapons

this post made by the meta gang

leave him alone, the poor lad has no clue

On 11/3/2019 at 7:52 PM, Retrograde said:

I was thinking about this deeper, and had an idea:

You must have a token of the metal type you want to convert to, and enough lump of that metal type + extra to make a metal conversion token. The metal conversion makes the item it's used on lose QL, and removes the ability for it to be smelted. Adds a bit of use to the tokens and has a decent cost per conversion. Maybe an item can only be converted once too?

-1 From me for the direction this is going in. Making and using village tokens and metal conversion tokens and such when there is alchemy and metallurgy skills in the game that would/should naturally come into play when converting materials and metals from one type to another does not make much sense to me.  Wogic is a thing of its own though, as we know. :P

I like the idea of being able to manipulate a metallic item from one type to another (among common metals at least- not moonmetals and other such special materials), but not via tokens created or earned in the game.  It was an alchemist's dream to figure out how to turn lead into gold, for instance. Would be cool if us alchemy inclined folks could actually do so in the game with high skill requirements, as well as manipulate common metals into other metal types like silver and electrum.

Just my humble opinion on the matter, for what it is worth.

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Thalius said:

-1 From me for the direction this is going in. Making and using village tokens and metal conversion tokens and such when there is alchemy and metallurgy skills in the game that would/should naturally come into play when converting materials and metals from one type to another does not make much sense to me.  Wogic is a thing of its own though, as we know. :P

I like the idea of being able to manipulate a metallic item from one type to another (among common metals at least- not moonmetals and other such special materials), but not via tokens created or earned in the game.  It was an alchemist's dream to figure out how to turn lead into gold, for instance. Would be cool if us alchemy inclined folks could actually do so in the game with high skill requirements, as well as manipulate common metals into other metal types like silver and electrum.

Just my humble opinion on the matter, for what it is worth.

I'll be honest, not totally sold on the idea of using tokens myself. I think using alchemy would be neat but that skill is already plenty useful with stuff like bloods, transmutation liquid and such. Metalurgy would be a good fit and it could really use something to make the skill REALLY worth grinding

I remember making a similar suggestion a while back.

Though I like the suggestion above about making it an alchemy ability too. Either way, I hope this happens because I have too many tin/silver/gold tools that aren't terribly useful.