Sign in to follow this  
Pameow

Frenetia: The Gobbler's Banquet: noncombat, production, 10x/10x

Set the Table update

Thank you Sylver for your Gobbler's Banquet. With your permission we are posting a screenshot of your Set the Table Tableaux. As the image shows, what a picturesque landscape you have chosen. You have given us food for thought too. If a player wants to keep their Set the Table tableaux they may.

Gobblers-Banquet-.jpg

Set the Table for the Gobbler's Banquet.

I wonder why I can't change the position of knives/forks/spoons (and a few other items) on a table? When I place them, they will only go in one direction (therefore, I can't have more than one setting on the table). Yet, I spotted this pic which shows knives/forks/spoons in different positions:

No photo description available.

Edited by Sylver

is your mousewheel messed up maybe?    like you can rotate items on anything but this table?   or cant rotate items at all?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JPaq said:

is your mousewheel messed up maybe?    like you can rotate items on anything but this table?   or cant rotate items at all?

Thank you very much! That worked perfectly! :) 

I'd never used my mousewheel to turn objects, only the turn clockwise/anticlockwise option in move.

Set the Table

Freesia has chosen a Gobbler’s Banquet which blends into the beauty of the inner courtyard. Thank you for your permission to post a screenshot of your Set the Table Tableaux.

Gobblers-Banquet-2.jpg

Return of the Santa’s Reindeer Challenge

Santas-Reindeer2021.jpg

Santa’s reindeer like Snowy high mountain slopes

We are delighted to announce that the Santa’s Reindeer Challenge server is returning. This non-combat, event server is independent of the Frenetia cluster. Players need to log in a new character. The only thing in inventory will be a pelt. It will run from 01 December 2021 to 31 January 2022. A small extension to complete the challenge will be available if requested. The challenge may be as easy or as difficult as the player chooses. For example, foraging gives a high amount of in-game currency, enabling Items such as compass, steel and flints and statuettes to be purchased at Santa’s Island Village. Sprouts are also found from foraging. Wood may be obtained using the wild growth spell. All spells are available.

This year the server has a mountainous Santa’s Island. At the top of the highest peak on the island Santa awaits, with Rudolf, ready to be reunited with the other reindeer. A road up the mountain , or tunnel, will need to be built to bring the reindeer. Anyone may use a road or tunnel once they are built.

There are several mountains where the reindeer like to live on the snowy slopes. This year groups of Dancers, Prancers, Donners and Blitzens live on different mountains. To win this year’s challenge at least one of each type of Santa’s Reindeer needs to be brought to be reunited with Santa, regardless of which player brings them. An individual player needs to bring at least one reindeer to be reunited. They may be brought across a bridge once a bridge is built, or in creature transports on boats.

Rescuing Santa’s Reindeer may be hazardous. We don’t want to lose tools because falls off high mountains are almost inevitable and corpses tend to land in the places that are most inconvenient. Set your tent at the bottom of the slopes you are at and take full advantage of the newly introduced corpse retrieval cost : zero karma.

A prize of a gold reindeer statue will be given for participation in the event, at a camp on the Frenetia cluster if the player wants one. Credit for the event will be given at the (yet to be built!) Frenetia Hall of Fame.

Map of Santa’s Reindeer Server

Santas-Reindeer2021Map.jpg

Map of Santa’s Reindeer Server

Countdown to Santa's Reindeer Server Start time

Edited by Pameow
Added link to countdown timer

Whoohoo! This looks like fun! Getting my snow shoes ready and crash helmet for the falls lol :D

Fourteen days to go ...

On 11/15/2021 at 9:04 PM, Pameow said:

This year groups of Dancers, Prancers, Donners and Blitzens live on different mountains. To win this year’s challenge at least one of each type of Santa’s Reindeer needs to be brought to be reunited with Santa, regardless of which player brings them

Ah, nice little implementation.  

Yay!  I'm looking forward to this.  

On the previous Santa's Reindeer, we made deeds and planted tree sprouts on them while we skilled up to be able to make a boat and creature transport. Is this one meant to be similar, or are we skipping deeds and just immediately getting to the main point?  

I would prefer if the server were up a little longer, so we can take time to enjoy it while gradually working toward the end goal.  Or is it meant to be a race?

The Santa's Reindeer event server is an attempt to reflect that Christmas time is different for everyone. It is meant to be a fun diversion from pursuing goals on other servers/games. The challenge may be met because it may be as difficult or as easy as the player wants it to be in the time they have available to them.

The main difference to the previous Santa's Reindeer server is that this one is a more difficult challenge overall. Think of it as the previous one being level one difficulty and now this one being level two difficulty.

Last time there was a flat map terrain with one only type of Santa's Reindeer. They spawned near each corner. The individual player met the challenge by reuniting one Santa's Reindeer at Santa's Island Village. There was also the notion of the server population as a whole to "win" if one Santa's Reindeer was reunited at Santa's Village.  As a group we won the challenge.

SantasReindeer-isometric-labelled-201912

Map of the first Santa's Reindeer Server

This time there are four different types of Santa's Reindeer on snowy high peaks. Dancers live on Dancer Mountain etc. The individual player meets the challenge by reuniting one of the four types of Santa's Reindeer at Mount Rudolf with Santa and the Rudolf type of reindeer. They may choose to try and reunite all the types if time allows.  For the server population as a whole to "win", one of each type of Santa's Reindeer, a Dancer,  Prancer, Donner and Blitzen, needs to be reunited with Santa and the Rudolf type of reindeer at Mount Rudolf.

Santas-Reindeer2021Map.jpg

Map of this Santa's Reindeer server

If we "win" this server challenge, the next one will be more difficult still :) 

Consider the falls from slopes as "Flying training",  to be implemented, we hope, for the next version. Something like "the Reindeer fly the sleigh and helpers to reunite with Santa". Meanwhile with Zero Karma cost for corpse retrieval in this version, tools are not lost. The skill loss will be negligible because the settings for skills and timers are as fast as we can get the code to do them.

Some players may not have much time and participation in building projects is limited, or not possible at all. They will be encouraged to  use roads,  bridges and tunnels built by players who do have more or a lot of time,  to achieve the challenge.  Any strategy is valid, including logging in briefly and using existing infrastructure. The player may solo, or work in groups to achieve the challenge.

Deeds are by choice. There is no cost to having them. There is also no great need to have them. The server settings are set to virtually no damage and carts seem to do for personal stuff. There will be no grown trees at the start. Sprouts are gained by foraging. Coins are set to high drop rates and the player may choose to purchase items to make the challenge easier, such as statuettes and compass, which will be available at Santa's Island Village. A more difficult way to get a compass would be build an Arboretum to get olive oil, or use corn oil. If a player states an item they want to purchase at the village that isn't there we will create a merchant to sell it. There are no priestly restrictions with high favour building speed at the altars at Santa's Island Village. Wood may be grown slowly, quickly via wild growth spell, or some combination of both methods. It is individual choice if the player wants to build creature transport and boats to help. Treasure chests are in the code to get sleep bonus powders if wanted.

It is not meant to be a race. If there are requests to keep the server up for longer than January 31 we are happy to do so. The amount of time would need to be worked out. There is also the possibility that we could run the same event server a different  year enabling a feeling of having progressed a bit better the second time around, having learnt from the first time.

Edited by Pameow
Added Maps
  • Like 2

@PameowToday, I'm suddenly unable to sail from Arboretum to Frenetia, though I'm taking the exact route I've taken many times before. My ship just stops and won't move forward at all anymore. I can sail backwards, so the ship itself isn't stuck. But every time I take another run at it, it just stops like I've hit a wall.

I tried logging out and coming back in 10 minutes later, but I'm still stuck.

EDIT:  I sailed around and found a direction that allowed me to get through to Frenetia, but it is NOT the way I used to use so it's terribly inconvenient to the location of my settlement on Arboretum. I'd love it if the other route(s) could be reinstated.

Edited by Batta

The "Plot course" option on boats is active on our servers, allowing travel from any border on either server to the other server. This is in addition to the border by which the servers are attached to each other, which is used when boating without "Plot course" or swimming.

We welcome game masters to Santa’s Reindeer server.

We are delighted to welcome Astrid and Sylverstar to be our very first GMs on the Santa’s Reindeer Server. This means that our international players may call for and gain help at more times of the day.

Discord channel.

Thank you Noelle and Sylver for arranging and setting up a player’s Discord channel. It is called Santa’s Reindeer Challenge. Tamutnefret will look in from time to time.

Here is a link to obtain an invitation to join the channel: Santa’s Reindeer Challenge

Ship’s travel speed increase.

Players will notice a very welcome faster journey on each ship type on all the servers. It is particularly noticeable on the knarr ship which used to be painfully slow in most wind conditions. The trip ship has been tweaked to go slightly faster at higher qualities. At Q 90 it now travels as fast as the code supports.

• Like 2

Congratulations Bradesco and Nidale for setting the table with a delicious Gobbler's Banquet. Acacia has placed an oakenwood Banquet Feasting Table in the nearby alcove. If you would prefer it in a different material let me know. Enjoy! :)

Hello all. Just started playing.  Is there an discord? I skimmed through this forum thread, but I don't think I saw a link.

A few questions: 

When you die, do you drop your inventory? 

Do you have the compass mod? Think I can use it while playing on Geforcenow?

Lastly, does this server have custom recipes? Its been years since I played, but last time I remember WO implementing a new cooking system and I was excited to get involved in that.  But I'd rather do it on a WU server. Thanks! 

Edited by Sunnydaze
  • Like 1

Hi Sunnydaze.

Welcome to Frenetia.

There is no Discord for Frenetia. However you will find some players on the Discord that was started for the Santa's Reindeer server who mainly play on the Frenetia server. Here is a link that will get you in touch with players common to both Servers. 

Santa's Reindeer Challenge  

When you die your corpse will retain its inventory.  The exception is your new player kit such as original pickaxe, etc.  Unlike most servers we have corpse retrieval cost of zero Karma, so you may soon reclaim your inventory. Also, there are not many ways to die. For example, there is no drowning,  just wait for stamina to rebuild in the water. Creatures do no attack you and there are no menus to attack them. Leaping off a mountain might do it!  hehe

No, we do not have a compass mod. Over some years Tamutnefret has worked on the server code directly and introduced many changes. We have a wish-list of changes of changes players would like. Let us know if you would like changes to compass behaviour. I do need to say that the wish-list is rather long :)

I don't think we have any custom recipes. You would need to define what you mean by custom recipes. The existing list of recipes we have seems to me to be quite long. We do have the changes that were made to the old WO server years ago. For players to be able to make their own recipes sure is something I would like. Very happy to add that to the wish-list. At one stage our cooking was changed to take less time.

Later in the year I will prepare a post to let readers know what is currently on the wish-list. There is no strict order of the wishes. If Tamutnefret sees a way to implement a wish whilst investigating code relating to other wishes, he makes the changes.

Best regards from Pam

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sunnydaze said:

Do you have the compass mod? Think I can use it while playing on Geforcenow?

The compass mod is a client mod, therefore independent of the server. Every player can download it into their own "WurmLauncher" folder, and it will work for all the alts on your account, whatever server you play on.

This page has links to several client mods, including Improved Compass

You will fist need to install the loader (scroll down the page to Installer). It might seem a bit complicated at first sight, but it's actually extremely easy to add any client mod you fancy.

Here's another page with all the mods. Ignore the server mods, and scroll down to client mods.

Personally, I only use the compass, the live map, and the third person view - the compass and live map are invaluable, imho!

As for recipes, I'm also unsure what you mean. I'm having a lot of fun cooking at the moment, learning new recipes and skilling up HFC. I've been using Reskal's WU-recipe list, and so far all the ones I've tried have worked perfectly. There are enough recipes there to keep me busy for a while, even though I only do the vegetarian ones - I could do the meaty and fishy ones as it's only a game, but having been vegetarian for 45 years, even the idea of meat dishes makes me a bit sick, lol.

Great that you're playing in Frenetia, Synnydaze. It's a beautiful and incredibly rewarding world. Hope to see you in-game. My main character is Sylver, and all my alts begin with Sylver. I only play for a couple of hours a day, usually, and am still a relative newbie. But if there's anything I can help you with, I'd be very happy to do so. 😀

PS: I'm also on Discord, by the way. My username is Sylvermoon#2728.

Edited by Sylver
  • Like 1

Thanks @Sylver and @Pameow,

I wasn't even sure what I meant by recipes, lol. I just remember being able to cook and discover recipes but I think what Sylver is doing while leveling HFC is what I want. 

I was hoping the mods would be in the steam workshop or something so I could use them with geforce. But, I'll look into it so I can get an better experience.  

Thanks for the replies!

Hi all :)

Thanks Sylver for letting us know about the client mods. I personally don't use them, so the mystery of the compass mod is partially explained. What effect it does it have for the player?

The conditions of use in WU are that with respect to coding we have no control over the client,  just over  the server.  This severely limits what artwork is shown. For example, the sails are shown to have coloured sails only  because the server tells the client directly and exactly what RGB values to show. 

I always think it best to leave it up to players to check on what conditions WU and Steam have regarding use of client mods, and decide for themselves about such things.

Best regards from Pam.

@Sunnydaze

The files just go in your Wurm Launcher folder, which will probably be in your Program Files (x86) > Steam > steamapps > common > Wurm Unlimited.

If you can't find it, just open Steam, right click Wurm Unlimited (in the Library), select properties, click Local Files, click Browse - that will show you where your Wurm launcher folder is located. All you have to do is download the Client Mod Loader (very important) and then all the client mods you need, and add them all into the Wurm launcher folder. It's pretty well explained on the pages I mentioned. Afaik the mods are independent of geforce (I also have geforce on my PC).

@Pameow

Improved Compass:

Compass always display heading (even when moving)
Compass mouse over will show exact coordinates, heading angle and height.

But my favourite of all is the Live Map. It dispalys a small in-game map showing you as a red dot in a relatively small area of map, but it makes is immensly easier to find you way around. 

uTrcTix.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the information about the compass and live map mods. They sure do sound rather  good! :)

Best regards from Pam.