Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

Can we please have the old fishing system back in addition to the new one?

Calm music, the relaxing sounds of the sea, sitting on a chair or bench or standing there chilling with your fishing pole at the shore, waiting for a fish to bite. Failing. Succeeding. Waiting. Chatting with your neighbors, with your friends. Relaxing in the game after a long day of skill grinding, bulk spamming and tedious building tasks, just taking it easy, letting the atmosphere of Wurm soak you up and calm you down and sometimes even help you fall asleep.

Fishing used to be my favorite activity. It used to be my reward after a long day of doing things that aren't always enjoyable but necessary to achieve a goal. It used to be something that would make my day great again, even if it sucked beforehand. It just offered a chance to EXIST in the game world but not be forced to do too much or nothing at all. It was perfection. Perfect relaxation.

Now, fishing, the way I described feeling it above, has helped me through many times of anxiety and depression with its extremely calming effects. I have huge respect for everyone who worked on the fishing update, and I do love the new versions of fishing as well. It's great variety and adds so much! However, I would REALLY like to be able to enjoy fishing the way I used to, and fact is, fishing is now just as tedious a task as anything else in the game. And no, this does not stem from laziness or wanting to be AFK, it is simply something I really used to enjoy and deeply miss in the game.

The new system with the fishing net is great, catching smaller things or clams. I love it.

The new system with the fishing rod is awesome, having to almost play a mini-game to catch your fish. I love it.

The new system with spear fishing is so much fun, even if you don't catch very much. I love it.

It's all very entertaining.

But what's missing is the idle fishing that I've come to love so much over the course of the years I've been playing.

Perhaps we can add a new type of fishing rod that would allow the player to fish in the old style. I've got a few ideas on how it could be re-implemented, so here goes:

• New fishing rod type, perhaps acquired via archeology since it's bringing back an old function, with which alone the old fishing is possible.
  • A new sub-skill to fishing for this rod, to make it a separate skill and decrease direct Fishing skill gain ticks so that people can't just use it to grind Fishing and ignore the new system.
  • More things, perhaps added as suggestions by the community? I will add things here that seem noteworthy!

Again, I really appreciate what we have, but for the reasons I have mentioned, can we PLEASE have the old system back in some way? Not as an exploit, not as a shortcut, but as a feature that me, and I'm sure others as well, have come to love over the course of so many years and I know for me, I am still mourning it.

• Like 17
  • Cat 2

2 minutes ago, Yldrania said:

New fishing rod type, perhaps acquired via archeology since it's bringing back an old function, with which alone the old fishing is possible.

• A new sub-skill to fishing for this rod, to make it a separate skill and decrease direct Fishing skill gain ticks so that people can't just use it to grind Fishing and ignore the new system.
  • More things, perhaps added as suggestions by the community? I will add things here that seem noteworthy!

I like having the rods only available via archaeology. I'd say limit it to non-special fish and reduce the max fish size so you can't complete journal tiers with it ( since you want it just as something relaxing... ). 

Instead of a sub-skill, just make it really easy OR like a training dummy, only give fishing skill with it up to level 20, but it uses your main fishing skill for what you can catch, just with the modified loot table.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, zethreal said:

I like having the rods only available via archaeology. I'd say limit it to non-special fish and reduce the max fish size so you can't complete journal tiers with it ( since you want it just as something relaxing... ). 

Instead of a sub-skill, just make it really easy OR like a training dummy, only give fishing skill with it up to level 20, but it uses your main fishing skill for what you can catch, just with the modified loot table.

I like the ideas, and the limit to non-special fish and such seems perfectly acceptable to me. The point is to bring back the mechanic not to find an easy way around journal tier goals or something after all.

The sub-skill was just an idea, but I would not like it if it would be restricted to fishing skill 20... I mean, slow skill ticks are perfectly fine, but none at all are, even by wurm standards, really crappy. So I'd still stick with something to restrict the amount of skill gained if fished that way, but not totally eliminate it. Skill is difficult enough to gain in this game... and we KIND OF SORT OF pay premium for skills NOT to be capped at 20 xDDDD

• Like 2

Whats wrong with a game full of mini games with few dozen of different requirements and mechanics. When there is no activity where you can just relax and take it easy, people will find it elsewhere.. now this feels like a chores after chores. Game is getting too complex to enjoy. I just banged my head to a wall because of today's lags and things going wrong.. i came back from decent break and i'm already asking my self... why, just because of today.

+1 for having the old fishing system in some way even if its -50% of skill gain and you have to kill avatar of vynora in jackal with your bare hands just to get the special rod and then you have to travel to valrei with it to get a blessing from whatever.

• Like 3

The new system with spear fishing is so much fun, even if you don't catch very much. I love it.

NO? I'd have hard time finding somebody who likes spear damage that it does.... and repairing and improving a WEAPON.................... to fish................................ << many dots, words are poor to describe the feelings..........

Aye.. why not add the old fishing rods.. with 75% skillgains?

Why 75%? 50 su cks..

+1

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

I liked the complexity of the new system, but the "click to fish" mechanism is one that is so overdone in every MMO that has fishing and it always struck me as a lazy afterthought. "How do we make this engaging? I know, we tell the player to click on the screen when told to like they're a drone". I really apprechiated that Wurm was a little bit more self aware and knew that fishing won't be engaging, you might aswell let it run automatically. Was really let down with this update, because while it's not too bad when you have proper sound cues (which required WA for way too long time unless you wanted to squint at the event tab for 90 seconds - seriously, what was the thought of this being fun behind that?!), it is in every conceivable way a regression and worsening the experience. It doesn't add anything. I'd be more radical and say ditch this mechanic altogether. Same rod, same XP, same loot. If someone wants the twitchy fishing, spear fishing can keep it. Having to see and click the fish I can respect as a minigame. Being told to click by the game though, not so much. It's like having to confirm each brick being added to a wall. It's silly.

• Like 3

Can't we reuse some of the other games solutions.. as long it's not patented game mechanic.. what stops the the reuse of well known working mechanics.

In black desert.. have active fishing.. throwing a line.. than sound event and slight animation change when there's a fish, which triggers next event.. > player gets a bar with a moving part and sweetspot.. if you fail the mini game.. you start over.. if you're successful with that test.. you get a bar with several arrowkeys/wasd keys to press, if you are successful with the 2nd game, you get a fish.. rng chance for the tier.

Passive fishing there is just timed.. every x minutes.. you get a fish or junk caught.. based on your gear, skill, rod, buffs, where you fish..

Maybe this isn't perfect.. but it's a spacebar.. twice and some wasd-'code' to type -in.. to catch a fish.. or completely afk until inventory gets filled up, than you literally not just afk-fish .. but go afk completely(run out of space .. can't fish than).

Downside to wurm's fishing is the click on the fish to trigger the reeling..than dealing with damage on line, rod, snapped hooks, lines, floats...

Let us have immortal floats..... 

Let us glowrune the floats.... or at least... if it snaps.. put a timer to re-spawn the float on top of the water.. in xx minutes(say 1-2-5 tops..) so the player could recover it.. and make it way less common to lose it... not to mention.. not to damage it as it currently works..

If I go RL fishing.. and prepare my stuff fresh.. I'd not expect to snap a line normally.. and get bunch of fish with it.. with zero maintenance.. for several trips like that...

No wonder people get annoyed.. if it just takes in times more maintenance and a whole school of skills and resources also actions.. to prepare the gear and baits.

With the time it takes to be ready for wurm fishing... real life one could start and be over in few hours, experience wont be comparable, unless it have rained etc... *woops*

there is a pool here with more than 45% saying that  dont like fishing.

1 hour ago, Themystrix said:

Whats wrong with a game full of mini games with few dozen of different requirements and mechanics. When there is no activity where you can just relax and take it easy, people will find it elsewhere.. now this feels like a chores after chores. Game is getting too complex to enjoy. I just banged my head to a wall because of today's lags and things going wrong.. i came back from decent break and i'm already asking my self... why, just because of today.

+1 for having the old fishing system in some way even if its -50% of skill gain and you have to kill avatar of vynora in jackal with your bare hands just to get the special rod and then you have to travel to valrei with it to get a blessing from whatever.

the excuse was fishing was so much afk, like everything else on wurm, but leveling have even longer timers (depending of the slope) and that didnt changed into a crap minigame...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tamat said:

the excuse was fishing was so much afk, like everything else on wurm, but leveling have even longer timers (depending of the slope) and that didnt changed into a crap minigame...

Because leveling offers significantly reduced gains. You keep being told this.

Otherwise I do like the ideas put forward. As much as I can understand old fishing being changed the way it was, it's pretty clear that overall that it's just not well recieved or liked. There's a lot of very good compromises here, seems like a great idea to me. Big +1

• Like 2

+1 times a billion

I would love the old fishing back for a multitude of reasons 1 of them is i dont want a phd in fishing in real life to be able to fish ingame next to that i miss the look of my dock area with my alt standing there with a bucket next to him just afk fishing away 4 actions(2 fish 2 repair) queued up constantly and fish till full inventory and then feed all the pets i have with it a few hours later

Anyway fishing was always a nice thing to do to relax enjoy the surroundings be it fishing in a cave or on a boat or on the shore turn on the ambient sounds set wurm assistant to a peaceful ding when actions are done and close your eyes and just sit back and relax and fish away and a hour or so later got lots of yummy fish and a relaxed mind
Where as now ya nope not touching it i tried it a few times and naa thanks ill pass

• Like 2

+1 Yes please and +1 to Archaeology as a means to getting old style rods too! I too used to love fishing as a chill-out-and-appreciate-the-scenery activity after a hard day's grind and I miss that dearly.

• Like 2

I totally agree w needing an alternative to current fishing system .. its now nothing but another tiresome chore to add to the ones already ingame.

• Like 3

i agree with the OP and will be pressing /like from now on instead of adding plus 1
(unless i have something more to say)
well written Yldrania

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 3

On 10/31/2019 at 8:53 PM, Madnath said:

Because leveling offers significantly reduced gains. You keep being told this.

Otherwise I do like the ideas put forward. As much as I can understand old fishing being changed the way it was, it's pretty clear that overall that it's just not well recieved or liked. There's a lot of very good compromises here, seems like a great idea to me. Big +1

fishing have less overall gains right now, because you only get ticks when cash the fish NOT like old one

3 minutes ago, tamat said:

fishing have less overall gains right now, because you only get ticks when cash the fish NOT like old one

you get a massive skilltick when the fish is hooked and constant skillgain while its fighting you on the line, if youre getting less skill/hour than you were with old fishing you're not catching the right fish for your level/tool ql

What about giving us the ability to make 'crude fishing pole'?  Like the crude hatchets or pickaxes...  of course potentially nice ones through archaeology, but with a branch and some cotton I could make a crude one myself.  Would function as the old system.

JS

• Like 2

+1 to having both and the choice to choose which one you feel like doing at the time.

• Like 2

Might add an auto button like the fighting auto. Will catch fish using skill check on the fish biting. Less skillgain but still an easy way to do it

Same. The new fishing system simply made fishing tedious.

Old fishing system had you improve 1 item (the fishing pole) and that was that. Now you have to imp everything related to fishing. The pole, the hook, the fishing reel. Making a tackle box, using the right bait.

The effort vs reward is skewed badly. We still get fish. That's it. Fish are optional. Not needed at all. I get the system was made to honor someone's love for fishing, and it was a beautiful gesture. 

The only justification to use such as system would be that fishing actually gave good rewards such as finding a treasure chest of coins, or perhaps a rare item in it, a dragon bone, a pirate hat, pegleg or somesuch. But right now the  investment to catch fish is simply mind-numbing. I'd rather fish in RL. And I don't really enjoy fishing in RL either.

• Like 1

WU has a server mod that brings back more passive skill gain and also pulls the fish either into a container or into your pocket from the net and I feel like it brings back the old calming way of fishing because it doesn’t cancel the fishing action since the fish are being pulled from the net. I know this is about WO, but maybe take a look at the mod by BDew to get more ideas for this suggestion.