Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 31/OCT/19

5 minutes ago, Finnn said:

I see no use for this..

You store animals in it. It's basically a compact horse organizer. Besides, it looks neat.

Client update out with a couple more fixes.

• Wood type and dye colors should be back to what they were (except horse item dyes, still being worked on)
  • Birds should no longer appear solid white
  • Fixed too shiny cave walls
  • Fixed upside down paperdoll character window
  • Fixed certain textures looking washed out (mainly horses)
  • Like 3

kksGr5j.jpg

The difference is subtle but holy hell batman wurm just started to look a lot better and more "real" then before ❤️ give the man or women behind this a raise of 1 extra cookie per update

edit: snowman look more plasticy though 😧 oh and while walking around inside a house there is this wide cast faint shadow effect(not really a shadow) https://i.imgur.com/WH70a3x.mp4 here is a clip of it

On a side note it actually is making my fans spin up now with those new settings on i can finally run 1 wurm client instead of 10 to have that same effect yay more efficient room heating achieved ❤️

edit 2: here is it outside on sandstone to show off the weird shadow effect a bit more https://i.imgur.com/y5iSgbC.mp4
edit 3: okay and there is this weird lighting effect that games tend to have when the scattering/bouncing of light is a bit too much https://i.imgur.com/xhzFO0p.mp4 not sure if thats the case here but ya its kinda funny to see a horse reflect that much light onto an object
edit 4: il stop il stop anyway https://i.imgur.com/pRZoWAm.mp4 the length at which the fine shadows turns to blurry is a bit short in general with the 2 types swapping so much even if the game is running at a stable 60fps with low frame times the shadows still have hiccups that might end up annoying people after a while
edit 5: i swear is final Wurm now actually went from using 4-5% of gpu usage to around 40% on a 1080ti with core temps going from 24c to 63c(fans only kick in at 55) mind you this is on high ao but its nice to see wurm actually touch a gpu for once

Edited by wipeout
  • Like 4

A question about hitching posts and enchanted grass tiles.

Will hitched horses also eat grass or enchanted grass if the hitching post + horses are on grass/enchanted grass tiles?

I ask, because I would really like to "decorate" my stable area with a hitching post + some horses without having to stress about filling the trough with food all the time.

Also a comment about the usability of the hitching post. It took me a while to figure out how to hitch because my eyes were searching for the "hitch" command since that's the term used everywhere else in the game.

After a while, I finally realized it's: "Tie off"  which is completely inconsistent. It should absolutely be "Hitch". Especially since the option to remove the animal is "Unhitch".

No need to get fancy or complicated. Just use the same term.

• Like 5

I think ausimus posted in valrei international thread that they will gaze from tile they are on if no food is in trough.

Also i totaly agree with your comment about naming. Tie off seems so out of place here...

• Like 2

So im not the only one who had that issue of not being able to find it for a while it

Can we ask why the difference in names?

• Like 1

We really should have a bug threat for all the weird bugs that popped up but my champ goblin is kinda shiny 3edXYFN.jpg

3 hours ago, wipeout said:

We really should have a bug threat for all the weird bugs that popped up but my champ goblin is kinda shiny 3edXYFN.jpg

That's the halloween stuff, both trolls and goblins have a slight glow atm.

6 hours ago, kochinac said:

I think ausimus posted in valrei international thread that they will gaze from tile they are on if no food is in trough.

Also i totaly agree with your comment about naming. Tie off seems so out of place here...

Add to that, the fact that it's called a hitching post. If they insist on keeping "tie off", at least lose the "off" word and just have "tie" - as a native English speaker, "tie off" doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe it's swenglish. :)

But just to say something positive here as well, which I totally should have done earlier. THANK YOU DEVS for bringing hitching posts! Thank you thank you thank you! So happy about that!

Also about the graphical changes, can I just say that I love the fact that I can actually see something inside my buildings now when it's midday. Aaaah so good!

• Like 2

Is there any official information about the SB not given to Xanadu players, and how this issue will be resolved?

I consider it quite impolite to say the least that there is no statement from the dev side about that failure. In particular I want to know whether we get the SB at all, and whether we have to be on Xanadu for that purpose.

19 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Is there any official information about the SB not given to Xanadu players, and how this issue will be resolved?

I saw something about how the server didn't get the flag properly for it to get SB. You should be able to get it on the next restart of the server.

Yes, sleep bonus on Xanadu will be applied with the next server restart.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 6:32 AM, wipeout said:

kksGr5j.jpg

The difference is subtle but holy hell batman wurm just started to look a lot better and more "real" then before ❤️ give the man or women behind this a raise of 1 extra cookie per update

edit: snowman look more plasticy though 😧 oh and while walking around inside a house there is this wide cast faint shadow effect(not really a shadow) https://i.imgur.com/WH70a3x.mp4 here is a clip of it

On a side note it actually is making my fans spin up now with those new settings on i can finally run 1 wurm client instead of 10 to have that same effect yay more efficient room heating achieved ❤️

edit 2: here is it outside on sandstone to show off the weird shadow effect a bit more https://i.imgur.com/y5iSgbC.mp4
edit 3: okay and there is this weird lighting effect that games tend to have when the scattering/bouncing of light is a bit too much https://i.imgur.com/xhzFO0p.mp4 not sure if thats the case here but ya its kinda funny to see a horse reflect that much light onto an object
edit 4: il stop il stop anyway https://i.imgur.com/pRZoWAm.mp4 the length at which the fine shadows turns to blurry is a bit short in general with the 2 types swapping so much even if the game is running at a stable 60fps with low frame times the shadows still have hiccups that might end up annoying people after a while
edit 5: i swear is final Wurm now actually went from using 4-5% of gpu usage to around 40% on a 1080ti with core temps going from 24c to 63c(fans only kick in at 55) mind you this is on high ao but its nice to see wurm actually touch a gpu for once

I agree it gets better, but we are still years away of actually hitting the 2019 standard look of a professional game. Plus pushing Wurm graphics to the limits will decrease performance over and over, one day you will not be able to run a single alt even with a great graphics card. The technology that Wurm uses for those fancy new graphics is just far away from modern game engines, which results in a less professional and pleasant look a long with an unhealthy draining of your GPU.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

I agree it gets better, but we are still years away of actually hitting the 2019 standard look of a professional game. Plus pushing Wurm graphics to the limits will decrease performance over and over, one day you will not be able to run a single alt even with a great graphics card. The technology that Wurm uses for those fancy new graphics is just far away from modern game engines, which results in a less professional and pleasant look a long with an unhealthy draining of your GPU.

1. Options such as ambient occlusion can be disabled if they're too taxing on your system.
  2. It's rather silly to assume the developers will implement graphical changes to the point where the game simply won't run anymore. Why would they even do that?
  3. Graphics hardware gets better over time. Wurm doesn't have to stay the same forever.
  4. Using your GPU for its intended purpose is not "unhealthy" unless there's some serious problem with how your hardware is set up.
Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

1. Options such as ambient occlusion can be disabled if they're too taxing on your system.
  2. It's rather silly to assume the developers will implement graphical changes to the point where the game simply won't run anymore. Why would they even do that?
  3. Graphics hardware gets better over time. Wurm doesn't have to stay the same forever.
  4. Using your GPU for its intended purpose is not "unhealthy" unless there's some serious problem with how your hardware is set up.

The main point is that Wurm will always be behind while using a lot more ressources.

15 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

The main point is that Wurm will always be behind while using a lot more ressources.

It is not using a lot more resources though. It might on the High preset, which we don't recommend as you can see in the patch notes. Should we stop adding graphical features altogether, if they cause a completely optional moderate increase in GPU usage?

The technology used is Nvidia's HBAO, and it works the same visuals and speed-wise as in other games.

There is no downside to this, I'm not sure why you pretend there is.

AO off/on screenshots for those unsure how much of a difference it makes:

Spoiler

mFEE8sA.jpg

r9uM1Ms.jpg

Spoiler

UMXdHLI.jpg

5AZYN9U.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Samool said:

It is not using a lot more resources though. It might on the High preset, which we don't recommend as you can see in the patch notes. Should we stop adding graphical features altogether, if they cause a completely optional moderate increase in GPU usage?

The technology used is Nvidia's HBAO, and it works the same visuals and speed-wise as in other games.

It does look good but just putting it on medium (versus off) drops my framerate by a third. That seems like a way bigger hit than I remember from other games.

i think it's great, for too long wurm has been a cpu intensive game.
I did some proper tests when i last upgraded.
750ti to 1060gtx barely touched my fps (minor bottleneck) but when i upgraded the CPU, massive improvement in performance.

But now, the GPU is getting utilised as much as the cpu.
i love it technically and aesthetically.
A fresh installation of wurm doesn't have to have everything turned up (As long as that VBO setting is set to core by default, there's been many of us that had to switch it from extension manually)
The impact of HBAO on your fps depends greatly on your system configuration. (to be fair i need to do testing)
What is your system spec and can you honestly account that you are comparing it with the same spec in other games.
Doesn't wurm use OpenGL rather than DirectX? The framerate tax will inevitably vary if so.
I believe HBAO is native to directX, any implementation of it in OpenGL likely involves transitions that are beyond my understanding.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 2

For me it turned wurm from running at max settings and using at max 8% of my gpu making me wonder if it actually used it to 40-45% like said before proofing finally that wurm does use a gpu's power ;) but this is on high which isnt recommended but still if a 1080ti is hit with such a workload increase imagine all those older pc's and wurm has a lot of players with older pc's and old hardware so its easy to understand why some people are afraid and why some worry about dropping down to 6fps from their usual 30

As for me i can still run it at 200fps perfectly fine at most times around my place

@Samooland team thank you for making caves actually look like caves finally on my machine(i always had brightly lit caves "bug?" on my machine)

FBKJqur.jpgNSzTM2m.jpg

L2einrk.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Samool said:

AO off/on screenshots for those unsure how much of a difference it makes:

Hide contents

Reveal hidden contents

UMXdHLI.jpg

5AZYN9U.jpg

You are measuring your stats on a Test Server which is obviously the wrong way, I am also not speaking about any particular update but in general of pushing that client in a way exceeding every normal graphical limitation, which leads to bad performance and bigger problems for the players.

Enable modern rendering when there are about 130 people in local (see picture), after that let's speak about ressources. => Disable modern renderer and things are fine even on high settings.

It is really problematic to have a game engine which can't even handle 100 players in a closer area using "modern" settings, which are irl just the standard in the game world nowadays. So in general when there is a bigger town or an area which has more players in it then there is no way to get good graphics in Wurm. This is in my opinion a big side effect of pushing that client over the real world limits and I think this is something which really needs to be addressed. There are various ways to fix this problem, but putting development power into something which works in the forest, low populated areas or on a test server is the wrong way for sure, especially when at the same time even high end sytems are pushed to the limits in busy areas.

Picture:

https://i.imgur.com/YQN38fr.jpg

Our clients are tested on live with both high structure, high lighting and high player count environments. 

A lot of performance improvements are on the wo client that are not in the Wu client, so while yes, a year ago the client would struggle more rest assured the wo client has been updated and improved a lot in that aspect 

14 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

You are measuring your stats on a Test Server which is obviously the wrong way, I am also not speaking about any particular update but in general of pushing that client in a way exceeding every normal graphical limitation, which leads to bad performance and bigger problems for the players.

There's nothing here "exceeding every normal graphical limitation". We work through performance issues and client updates very often contain optimization fixes.

15 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

Enable modern rendering when there are about 130 people in local (see picture), after that let's speak about ressources. => Disable modern renderer and things are fine even on high settings.

It is really problematic to have a game engine which can't even handle 100 players in a closer area using "modern" settings, which are irl just the standard in the game world nowadays. So in general when there is a bigger town or an area which has more players in it then there is no way to get good graphics in Wurm. This is in my opinion a big side effect of pushing that client over the real world limits and I think this is something which really needs to be addressed. There are various ways to fix this problem, but putting development power into something which works in the forest, low populated areas or on a test server is the wrong way for sure, especially when at the same time even high end sytems are pushed to the limits in busy areas.

Picture:

https://i.imgur.com/YQN38fr.jpg

Ambient Occlusion is a post-process effect that's independent of scene complexity. There's zero difference in how it works in a populated area or the test server, which is why the screenshots were done there. For changes that actually can affect the performance in populated deeds and player gatherings we do testing on live servers, such as the recent player armor normalmap additions.

It was the same case with introducing the modern renderer - big point of that was that it's a deferred rendering engine, and that makes lighting independent of scene complexity, and as such intended to scale well with complex situations. There were certain performance issues at the start but now on most configurations it's much better than Legacy, and even takes advantage of geometry instancing for the many-things-in-local situations.

I can see that you have no clue what you're talking about, but yet you keep trying to slight the dev team at every opportunity and I'd really appreciate if you at least tried to include some facts there, instead of very wild guesses on how stuff works.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this