Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 90

diWJp86.png

Jeston's deed - Deliverance

Greetings Wurmians! 

Retro coming in early with the news because... well, I'm a little late really. Between all the news on the forums, a month absence while I went to Australia, and getting sick after returning I've been a little awol. I'd like to thank Madnath for his "valerie international" in the meantime, it contained just enough absurdity that I had to double check I didn't write it. But enough of Valerie, I'm back and getting back into the saddle, so onward!

The big forum news
While I was gone the announcement of Budda being replaced by Samool was made. I just want to take the time to publicly thank Budda for his friendship and all his work, from Archaeology to Jackal and including all his bug fixes his work will continue to be used in wurm daily. 

With this change the roadmap announced previously has shifted a little; some things have been delayed, other things added, and plenty of reworking of our goals for the game. 

The big goal listed is the eventual launch on Steam. This is currently slated to happen by mid 2020 and there's a lot of work that needs doing. We aim at spending the time between now and then polishing many mechanics, adding new things to improve mechanics and lots of tidying up. It's a long time until it does launch on Steam but somehow I feel it'll go by fast

One thing that's been raised is the complete separation of the servers and the reasons behind it. There's a few reasons here and there but something that is a major issue is RMT. 

Steam does not allow RMT in the sense that Wurm does, the sale of currency, items, accounts for real world money is strictly forbidden, and would require us to do our due diligence in ensuring it doesn't occur. Wurm is a small game that logs every currency transaction already, we would be able to abide by these requirements quite easily. 

However, that impacts on many existing players, and I'm sure many would be hesitant at the idea of no more sales of accounts, silver or items. 

If we keep these completely separate it may be possible to continue as normal, but there's also the possibility that Steam will require we remove all RMT from both sides. 

Now it's possible to use the Steam marketplace to sell silver, but it's not in our immediate goals to add this functionality so we can't guarantee it would be part of the Steam game. 

As you can imagine a step such as this would be a tough one, and a bitter pill for many of you to swallow. This is why we have not made a firm decision on allowing the outside client to connect to Steam servers. As we get closer to launch midway through the new year we'll likely be spending time talking with Steam about this and what we need to do in order to ensure we meet the requirements, but hopefully you all understand the reasoning behind it a little more. 

Lookin' Good

Coming this week are more visual upgrades to Wurm, with the HDR post-processing setting, new shadows, and ambient occlusion! These all add better distinction between items and the ground, improve the general feel of the game, and best yet, make winter bearable! 

Previously:

9IC0j1b.png

With the new post processing tweaks:

Bw2oB7I.jpg

Getting hitched
No not me, the animals! With this update hitching posts will be added to the game. I believe this was one of the first content oriented WU mods, but we finally caught up! Creatures that can be led will be able to be hitched to these, with 3 hitching slots. 
Hitching posts will contain troughs that hitched creatures will feed from at the same rate they feed from a pile on the ground. 

Halloween!
That's right, Halloween is back, and many witches hats and troll masks are abound. It's currently the same as last year, hunter mobs drop the witches hats and pumpkin shoulders while trolls drop the troll mask. Could there be something more? Watch this space (because I forgot to check with Saroman)

Continuing Development
Along with the news on break our devstreams have also been a little quiet. That's going to change this week with the return to Under Development, where I will discuss the game as I play it with you all, so make sure to follow us on Twitch at https://twitch.tv/wurmonlineofficial so you can catch the action!

That's it from us this week, there's lots to discuss and more to come but the thing I'd like you all to take away from this is that we may not have the answers yet as we simply do not have all the facts of the moment ready. Rest assured once we know them we'll let you all know too!

Until then though... Keep on Wurming!
Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 21

No info on Jackal skill transfer and what happened exactly?

WIll jackal skill transfer be buffed a little atleast?! 3 hours of grinding on freedom for a month on jackal was pretty disappointing. Especially WS, Its slower on Jackal and i only got from 14-17 for 50ws on jackal. lol

Edited by phennexion

2 minutes ago, phennexion said:

No info on Jackal skill transfer and what happened exactly?

WIll jackal skill transfer be buffed a little atleast?! 3 hours of grinding on freedom for a month on jackal was pretty disappointing.

It'll be going live this update with a slightly buffed transfer rate. 

The amount that transfers is not based on your jackal level, as it does not take coc nor sleep bonus into account, and you get jackal points for skills gained as well. 

If solid skill grinding is what you want it will always be faster to do so on freedom. 

• Like 3

Thank you for the mention, I'm glad it was well recieved and people had some fun with it. Maybe we'll get a fresh one next time you're on break.

• Like 1

Just now, Madnath said:

Thank you for the mention, I'm glad it was well recieved and people had some fun with it. Maybe we'll get a fresh one next time you're on break.

My next allowed break is in another 4 years. 

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

My next allowed break is in another 4 years. 

4 years? thats wayyyyy too soon.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nicrolis said:

4 years? thats wayyyyy too soon.

tell me about it, look what happened this time!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

tell me about it, look what happened this time!

Australia? You're lucky to still be alive ;)

• Cat 1

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Getting hitched
No not me, the animals! With this update hitching posts will be added to the game.

! ! !

• Like 1

My thanks to you and the team for all the work you put in. Its been fun to watch you grow and I look forward to the surprises ahead.

Lookin' Good

Coming this week are more visual upgrades to Wurm, with the HDR post-processing setting, new shadows, and ambient occlusion! These all add better distinction between items and the ground, improve the general feel of the game, and best yet, make winter bearable! 

My eyes thank you for this. Until this update i hated winter in Wurm only for this shining whites. Looks better on pictures.

With the graphics update making winter look nicer (I liked it before also), can we get back to having winter last as long as the other seasons?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The amount that transfers is not based on your jackal level, as it does not take coc nor sleep bonus into account, and you get jackal points for skills gained as well. 

If solid skill grinding is what you want it will always be faster to do so on freedom. 

Slightly buffed transfer rate?

From my personal perspective it seems like i have to choose to either have adventure/fun (jackal) or experience (freedom). Why can't i have both? Why can't the latest content be atleast  on par with the old one? if not god forbid be actually better in order to make people prem and play it?:)

Is Wurm a business or a support group?

I understand that jackal is not the focus anymore but the transfer rate is not a resource sink. Just make it work properly then turn up the nob 10x more than you think is fair and is all good.

• Cat 1

Is Wurm Unlimited also getting a gaphics update for winter. Would be nice to actually play the game at night without burning out my retinas because of the ugly and bright looking snow textures. 

Yes Yes I know there is a no winter mod. But I like the winter season. Its just that I don't like the "Wurm winter season" and I would love to have a decent looking winter season in wurm.

Just ban RMT already, jesus. It's unhealthy for the game as a whole and needs to go away.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Lookin' Good

Getting hitched

No not me, the animals! With this update hitching posts will be added to the game. I believe this was one of the first content oriented WU mods, but we finally caught up! Creatures that can be led will be able to be hitched to these, with 3 hitching slots. 
Hitching posts will contain troughs that hitched creatures will feed from at the same rate they feed from a pile on the ground. 

1 question 1 comment

1. could we have not gotten this sooner, i've had to replace my eyeballs irl at least once per two winter cycles ty looks much better

2. will these hitching posts be able to be used underground? if not can you please add that functionality, i don't like leaving my cave, or could we get some alternative for underground dwellings

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Steam does not allow RMT in the sense that Wurm does, the sale of currency, items, accounts for real world money is strictly forbidden, and would require us to do our due diligence in ensuring it doesn't occur. Wurm is a small game that logs every currency transaction already, we would be able to abide by these requirements quite easily. 

However, that impacts on many existing players, and I'm sure many would be hesitant at the idea of no more sales of accounts, silver or items. 

If we keep these completely separate it may be possible to continue as normal, but there's also the possibility that Steam will require we remove all RMT from both sides. 

Now it's possible to use the Steam marketplace to sell silver, but it's not in our immediate goals to add this functionality so we can't guarantee it would be part of the Steam game. 

As you can imagine a step such as this would be a tough one, and a bitter pill for many of you to swallow. This is why we have not made a firm decision on allowing the outside client to connect to Steam servers. As we get closer to launch midway through the new year we'll likely be spending time talking with Steam about this and what we need to do in order to ensure we meet the requirements, but hopefully you all understand the reasoning behind it a little more. 

Thanks for making this clear and i hope you will manage to ensure we have RMT atleast outside of Steam. It's not just a hard pill to swallow it's a pill i probably won't swallow. Don't get me wrong i have very well payed programmer job for my country standards and don't use Wurm to earn money, but it's nice to have opportunity to turn your ingame excess in RL money (i bought my new gaming pc this year like that). And knowing that i can turn my long time investment in wurm into rl cash is what keep me going the most on the long run. Steam market would not be good solution for me as I don't need to buy other games, only thing that i have been and that i want to play last 5 years was Wurm...

At this point like many others from maybe others reasons I don't really care anymore wheater i will continue to play or not. I shall see how things go with Steam and it will depend on that.

P.S. Looking forward to that hitching posts, been wanting them for long

• Like 4

are those pics taken from the same time of day and is it the most blinding time, please don't make it longer its still going to hurt enough to not play

Edited by SmeJack

Hitching posts yay.

Possibly no more RMT because steam sucks, maybe it's time to consider moving to WU.  

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Cat 1

9 hours ago, Retrograde said:

3 things

1. "but there's also the possibility that Steam will require we remove all RMT from both sides. " there are quite a few games which have it still be a thing and community rules so far point to valve taking the stance of "if you get charged back after you sold an item its your fault we wont help you out" so id like to see where this is actually stated that RMT not being allowed is a valve enforced thing considering that csgo dota2 and so on  their rmt markets are huuuuge and valve actually seems to support them to a degree so you keep saying that this is a thing but so far as i can tell(waiting for a reply from them on it as well) rmt is fine valve just wont do anything about it and with wurms trading window it bypasses steam completely and even if you incorporate the steam market into trading somehow empty transfers of items via that are allowed by steam and happen all the time and if it was so much against the rules we would see way more steam account bans

2. with the new post processing i guess my screen is going from that 2nd picture to even darker terrain i wonder how that will look
3. related to what i quoted
You created jackal a themed server with a interesting idea some nice work into it a few new mechanics but you didnt give people a solid reason to play look at current player count [01:17:29] 13 other players are online. You are on Jackal (148 totally in Wurm). of which 8 are in my alliance and 6 are alts and it hovers around this
Since the moment that jackal dropped from 200 to low numbers you released skill transfer which showed it to be utterly useless for anyone to spend time there because the reward in return makes a 6 month heavy investment not worth while(skins are not worth it no matter how good or bad they are and i like all skins so far)
I have seen times where its 0 or 1 other player online on jackal for periods of a time and it shows that there is no incentive to play there so you want jackal to be a thing that sticks around and doesnt become the next challenge or wurm unlimited make the skill transfer worthwhile 80% compared to normal without sb or coc is still worth it for a lot of us to invest time into jackal time and time again so a "slightly buffed transfer rate" just spells doom for jackal round 2 no matter what you throw at it no matter how much better you make it if we see the skill transfer is like 15% no one in their right mind will sit there and grind to 50-70 or higher on jackal just to be able to do content there especially not since next round all those bugs we had this round wont be there that we exploited to get anywhere
So i and i am sure others as well hope that when you do enable skill transfer rate or plan to do so you make a post about how much it is going to be so that we can make an informed decision if it is worthwhile to stick around and play on jackal for the reduced gain+skill points+new content
Let me say it again i am not pushing for more then freedom my ideal scenario would be freedom-coc-sb skill gain as that would mean the loss you suffer is worth it but i know no one on the dev team wants to be that kind to the players even though they deserve it considering they put up with the screw ups that keep happening time and time again(seriously how does a skill duping bug get by the testing team oh wait go get a testing team that tests every feature not just test server related ones please ❤️ )

I shall wait and hope that steam replies to my email some time soon with clarification on how rmt will work in the case of wurm considering how wurm's rmt is similar to eve and so on and once i have a clear answer to it i will post that up in a reply to this or what ever topic is talking about it at the time being(like you like doing retro posting random important stuff in random places ;)❤️

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

Too add to my long post that most wont read here is the following merge it if you want to im keeping this separate for those who dont want to read my wall of text

As i see it based on reading everything(waiting on confirmation from steam itself)
Steam employee's stated in the past that selling game keys for steam games are not allowed as you do not own the license to sell them this also goes for skins and other items on the steam platform(Anything on the steam market) as you pay steam for a service you own nothing on the steam platform

Now items in a game run by a company's servers are property of that company so its up to that company to have its final verdict on it and thus things like eve and other games allow real money trading for items ingame but valve does not support nor allow trading of items on its market place for real money(csgo skins and such are still traded and valve still doesnt punish people for it they even support it by making it easier to trade)

So far as i can tell this means the following for wurm(do correct me if i am wrong please)

If the company behind wurm states that rmt is allowed but not supported then so be it anything bought through their store and never touches the steam market place is fine(so any items on the server are fine)

1 hour ago, wipeout said:

Since the moment that jackal dropped from 200 to low numbers you released skill transfer which showed it to be utterly useless for anyone to spend time there because the reward in return makes a 6 month heavy investment not worth while(skins are not worth it no matter how good or bad they are and i like all skins so far)

Don't worry tho because the players that stay on freedom and just buy the skin only get 10% of one. Oh... wait..

Is this how discrimination feels because i am european so just asking for a friend :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SmeJack said:

are those pics taken from the same time of day and is it the most blinding time, please don't make it longer its still going to hurt enough to not play

Yes, it's same time of day and that's the brightest it can now be. Is that really still bad? Feels decent to me.

@wipeout 

You mention EVE Online as a RMT-on-Steam example, but EVE has explicitly banned RMT (and actively bans people for selling in-game items for real money) and doesn't even use Steam marketplace for in-game items.

Just reiterating what Retrograde already said - we know Steam will not allow for RMT on the new Steam servers, that's definitely out - we just don't know yet what it means for the current servers, and if we wanted to merge the new servers in eventually (or allow Steam client onto Freedom, and the other way), RMT could definitely not be a thing like it is right now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Samool said:

Yes, it's same time of day and that's the brightest it can now be. Is that really still bad? Feels decent to me.

@wipeout 

You mention EVE Online as a RMT-on-Steam example, but EVE has explicitly banned RMT (and actively bans people for selling in-game items for real money) and doesn't even use Steam marketplace for in-game items.

Just reiterating what Retrograde already said - we know Steam will not allow for RMT on the new Steam servers, that's definitely out - we just don't know yet what it means for the current servers, and if we wanted to merge the new servers in eventually (or allow Steam client onto Freedom), RMT could definitely not be a thing like it is right now.

Thats the same as jagex banning botters every week small token select group while the big players and bot farms keep running or in eve's case the sites offering it and their accounts behind it are never wiped out just 1-2-10 accounts hit once in a while but never enough to knock a group out of doing it that kind of token banning is silly and meant to scare people away while still letting those who really want to do it have the chance to do it and get away with it perfectly fine
But hey if that kind of token banning is a "no go" then shroud of avatar is another mmo on steam that allows rmt and is on steam
Was the whole "steam will not allow for RMT on the new steam servers" thing said by steam or something that was researched and come to a conclusion to? I am asking this because like just above there are games that do have it so my guess is that if steam gave an answer then was the question asked properly setup

Point is steam related services yes thats a clear non-commercial use case(not that it stops valve from making steam market trading easier and easier for people to profit off with rl money) but in wurms case your iron pickaxe is not an item on steam market so hence my point

1. Yes selling steam marketplace items for rl money outside of steam wallet isnt allowed(still done)
2. But is selling item ingame on a server hosted by company outside of steam allowed that is where any place i look is always a grey area as there is a distinct difference between an item on steam and its platform and an item on your platform

Thats the thing as it stands from what i read is that right now 2 is an unknown when its extended to none steam related content which again honestly steam would have no say over its like your car dealership being able to dictate what cloths you wear while driving your car or what air freshener to use it would not hold up legally anywhere if steam tried to push for that so let me ask this again was the question that was asked to valve made with a clear distinct difference in what item would be traded and how and where or was it just more general question/read in a faq for devs kinda thing?

Reason i keep pushing for that is that if rmt is completely killed because the dev team is scared of big daddy valve kicking wurm off steam because bob traded a pickaxe to a friend and a friend gave him 5 euro for it then maybe hold off ever going to steam all together
Wurm is in this case of "we have an mmo that is outside of steam with a rmt economy that would remain separate even after coming to steam would steam affect this" as you stated it so(kinda a repeat but anyway) yes i cant go and sell a item that i have on my steam profile in my inventory for rl money eg a tf2 hat technically cant be sold for money as that is on the steam platform but for example i could sell 1000 COTO in shroud of the avatar via their forum for rl money as that transaction is done ingame and on their forums and never touches the steam platform
That clear difference is what im asking about and pushing for was that clear difference shown to be a thing or was it not?

Sorry but stuff like this will come up in the future anyway sooner then later

• Like 1