Fendain

Next round

When does next round for Jackal start?  Thinking of dropping a deed there but do not want to waste the time and silver if we are resetting soon.

Bromar on Jackal

It started 30th August and scheduled to last 6 months so we're about 1/3rd the way through.

No next round has been announced yet.

Ah so the end of February - that is great as I thought it started way earlier than that :)

Thanks Explora

Next round won't be coming immediately after this one ends, so you might want to play there now if you want to.

sounds as if Jackal would be scrapped. Bad.

If that is not the case, kindly provide a bit of transparency. I would understand that the preparations for the steam move are consuming a lot of resources, and that the experiences of this first (last?) Jackal round have to be evaluated before just starting a next round unchanged. In that case, a timeline would be helpful, also not just deactivating recent Jackal after the six month are elapsed and/or the last beacon and the stronghold being conquered. There could still be events there, in that case.

Don't get blinded by the steam project and abandon the existing community.

Edited by Ekcin

It won't be scrapped. After this round we'll take a little time to adjust it based on feedback and such then launch it again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

After this round we'll take a little time to adjust it based on feedback and such then launch it again. 

Speaking of launch, can we have a giant water slide at the start town of next jackal please?:0 .

Also if you will not make jackal be viable xp wise i think it would be best to shrink it's duration make it last like 6 weeks (i think thats about how long it took untill ppl started to quit in mass) or even 6 days.

And we can just get drunk zerg some trolls get their clubs and charge the stronghold.. it would not even take us 6 hours:)

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

It won't be scrapped. After this round we'll take a little time to adjust it based on feedback and such then launch it again. 

That sounds good. As said, it would be nice to keep the existing instance alive until the new one starts. And maybe do the "Jackalgeddon" in a funny event.

Jackal Devs, might add some random treasure chests on Jackal, doesn't need to be high hand but maybe random tools or armors, supplies?

I would not say treasure chest should be needed. Though I think next what should happen is one have better rift locations. Two have ones that go of skill also. Then also make rifts accessible by tunneling or climbing.  Though need to fix stam issue with weta wile climbing other wise it makes for a long boring fight. Other wise the system works for jackel.  Though there still is room for improvement. 

Please next round make skills on Jackal not start a zero.  Let us start with current Freedom skills and transfer back and forth between Freedom and Jackal then don't need any transfer math and prevents complaints.  Make skill gains the same as Freedom.  Make items not transfer between Freedom and Jackal like they don't know so will have to start naked at the beginning.

The entire skill reset makes this frustrating and not appealing.  For me at least.  Be a great advanced challenging server in different atmosphear with different goals instead of the same old hunting on Freedom.

Let some rewards be you can buy logs with Jackal points from the trees and plants of Jackal to use on Freedom which would make some nice rare materials to build furniture with.

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, nicedreams said:

Please next round make skills on Jackal not start a zero.  Let us start with current Freedom skills and transfer back and forth between Freedom and Jackal then don't need any transfer math and prevents complaints.  Make skill gains the same as Freedom.

Or maybe a compromise like this:

• Players transfer into Jackal with a flat 1/3 of their Freedom skills.
  • Skills gained during previous iterations of Jackal are added to this base at 1/3 of their equivalent grind-time value.

Adjust numbers up or down for balance.

On 12/2/2019 at 11:48 PM, nicedreams said:

Please next round make skills on Jackal not start a zero

The entire skill reset makes this frustrating and not appealing.  For me at least.

I understand the frustration. You've invested hours of real life - and real money - only to be asked to throw it away. 

I also understand newer players feeling like they're so far behind the ten year veterans that it's hopeless. I see Jackal's "start at zero" as a solution to the latter. 

What I think I hear from those who like Jackal but dislike "start at zero" is that the content on Freedom is no longer challenging for their character. I see Jackal as intended to challenge the player. It asks: have you, the player, gained enough skill to survive without the advantages you were given when first starting Wurm, advantages that compensated for your lack of skill and knowledge of the mechanics of Wurm. 

Based on the number of posts expressing frustration with "start at zero", there's a clear demand for more challenging, engaging content on Freedom. I'd love to see the developers (and Wurm Unlimited modders) work towards that. 

But, in my opinion, Jackal is not that. 

In short, I hope Jackal keeps the "start at zero" format. I hope something else adds the challenge that veteran players want for their characters. 

• Like 3

On 12/2/2019 at 9:48 PM, nicedreams said:

Please next round make skills on Jackal not start a zero.  Let us start with current Freedom skills and transfer back and forth between Freedom and Jackal then don't need any transfer math and prevents complaints.  Make skill gains the same as Freedom.  Make items not transfer between Freedom and Jackal like they don't know so will have to start naked at the beginning.

The entire skill reset makes this frustrating and not appealing.  For me at least.  Be a great advanced challenging server in different atmosphear with different goals instead of the same old hunting on Freedom.

Let some rewards be you can buy logs with Jackal points from the trees and plants of Jackal to use on Freedom which would make some nice rare materials to build furniture with.

Me like the rare mats idea

On 12/5/2019 at 12:38 PM, Kohle said:

Very true. Jackal was built for new players to start fresh among other new players in a way everyone is set to zero. But what i personally think is that all this project went sideways. Firstly, they are planning stream now, so all new players will go there 99%. Secondly, Jackal was supposed to give you some skills to transfer over to freedom for new players so after Jackal they dont start fresh in freedom. But what they get at the current rate is basically nothing in freedom for their time and effort in jackal. So once again, from a new player perspective its pointless, rather just start in freedom and grind those skills 10 times higher in the time you would spend grinding on Jacklal and transfering over. so once again - not proffitable for a new players. yet they wont start in freedom where most folks have years on their accounts, so they will go steam.

Secondly, seasoned players went to jackal for different experiences and that they expected their skills grinded on jackal to transfer back. once again, they get no skills and playing noob account for an experienced player trully stinks.. If there were some challenges or missions added to the freedom cluster they wouldnt even move to Jackal.

So summing everything up the Jackal project is dead in my eyes. new players will go stream, old players avoid it due to "start at zero" in a temp server basis.

But what brings it all in a bigger picture in my opinion is that no project gets finished before moving on the next one. Like eg Epic cluster was promised a rewamp, things started but soon got abandoned as the team moved on jackal. Now it seems jackal gets dumped after rushed release and the team moved for stream..

4 hours ago, Skatyna said:

Very true. Jackal was built for new players to start fresh among other new players in a way everyone is set to zero.

I hope Jackal wasn't designed for new players.  New player best experience would be normal Freedom.  I just don't see why a noob would want to have a decision between Freedom and Jackal when most of their progress from Jackal wouldn't transfer to Freedom anyways so it would screw over a noob player.  Then they'd be on Freedom lost with lower skills than Jackal and probably leave the game.

Fighting in Rifts is a goal where you want to skill up your fight/weapon skills on Freedom to be able to do Rifts.  Then being able to do a Rift and open a portal to Jackal to me is an "expansion" to Wurm where you get to progress even further and explore new lands to continue the experience with a common goal.  I like the concept of Jackal, just not the fresh start.  The way you clean the lands and the tone of the map changes is pretty cool.

Like in other MMO's you don't just jump into the game being a noob and do Lvl80 dungeons or raids.  It's a big goal being new to want to level up to be able to contend and do the elite content.

The Elevation reset was fun at first since you jump in at current Freedom skills and fighting within a few days or a week after creating gear/weapons.

Only way I can see a skill reset for a challenge server would be for PvP and not for PvE.  This is where I see Steam WO being a good fresh start and if I joined it I'd focus everything I do towards PvP.  Gloria Victis has taken me away from Wurm for now since it's mostly geared towards PvP and I like that I have to use some kind of mouse and keyboard timing to fight rather than waiting around for RNG based on the numbers of skill that was grinded.  So might not give Steam a try if GV continues to fill the void.

I was thinking perhaps you can pick 1-3 skills that start at 50, that way from 50+ is very little transfer to freedom i don't think playing jackal should transfer massive amounts of skill to freedom , but those 1-3 skills helps with starting on jackal especially if you have a good community. i think the fortress battles are unreal and some of the greatest times i have had in wurm recently, good job to the team :)

On 12/11/2019 at 11:41 PM, nicedreams said:

I hope Jackal wasn't designed for new players.  New player best experience would be normal Freedom.  I just don't see why a noob would want to have a decision between Freedom and Jackal when most of their progress from Jackal wouldn't transfer to Freedom anyways so it would screw over a noob player.  Then they'd be on Freedom lost with lower skills than Jackal and probably leave the game.

Certainly Jackal should not be recommended for entirely new players. But there may be hardcore beginners enjoying the challenge, why not giving them the chance?

What must be fixed is skill transfer which still appears broken and intransparent to me. Still I did not see any more transfer then +0.02 for skill 18 in mining which I considered fair at my >91 skill at that time. But I saw zero increase from my skill 20+ prospecting to my Freedom skill of 91, similar with other skills. The gain of a total beginner should nearly 1:1 translate into Freedom skills.

That said, I am not in favor of higher start skills. The start with no skills was a nice challenge. Those who dislike it might have to wait a week or so til starter equipment can be obtained from public crates.

What should be improved is the battlezone and frontline experience which was not so impressive with a few stray rift beasts. And maybe a few pelts in the trader ;).

This is just suggestions, so not  really opposing anyone's suggestion, just  putting an idea out there without  quoting or  disagreeing anyone else's .

Edited by Toecutter

41 minutes ago, Toecutter said:

So you actually farmed your 90+ skills on jackal with quicker timers and xp hoping to better improve on freedom skill gains of 90+ ? i think that's unreasonable  to ask for better skill transfers , jackal should not be about easier skill ticks for 90+ freedom skills.

No, I did not "farm" any of my skills (except farming). I worked on them on Freedom over nearly 2 years and played Jackal only a short time.

As to the easier skill gain on Jackal, that has been discussed before. Partially it exists due to shorter timers etc., partially it does not or is hardly recognizable. When I wrote "the gain of a total beginner should nearly 1:1 translate into Freedom skills" that of course should take in account those differences to avoid undue and unfair advantages during skill transfer. So far, I fail to see that skill transfer was impressive, especially for players who put a lot of effort into their Jackal characters.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum

On 12/2/2019 at 11:48 PM, nicedreams said:

The entire skill reset makes this frustrating and not appealing.  For me at least.

On 12/5/2019 at 7:38 AM, Kohle said:

I understand the frustration. 

I also understand newer players feeling like they're so far behind the ten year veterans that it's hopeless. I see Jackal's "start at zero" as a solution to the latter. 

On 12/11/2019 at 12:57 PM, Skatyna said:

Very true. Jackal was built for new players to start fresh among other new players in a way everyone is set to zero. 

On 12/11/2019 at 5:41 PM, nicedreams said:

I hope Jackal wasn't designed for new players. 

NiceDreams is right here. By "newer players" I didn't mean "new players", but I see how the wording was ambiguous. I was trying to describe those players who are active and experienced, but do not have the (equipment and skill) advantages that ten-year veterans have. Jackal would be a terrible experience for a fresh player!

11 hours ago, Ekcin said:

The gain of a total beginner should nearly 1:1 translate into Freedom skills.

Jackal timers are shorter and gains are higher - at all levels. (I'll stipulate to reports of a few skills for which this doesn't seem to be true - if you'll agree that, for the majority, it is.) So why should skill with a server-boost "nearly 1:1 translate" to skill on a sever without? 

11 hours ago, Ekcin said:

That said, I am not in favor of higher start skills. The start with no skills was a nice challenge.

I'm glad we agree here! 🙂

9 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I fail to see that skill transfer was impressive

I've only ever heard Retro or anyone else say that skill transfer would NOT be impressive. And it's been said more than once - before transfer was ever enabled. Based on player reaction, one could argue that it should have been said louder, more frequently and in more obvious places.