Sign in to follow this  
As_I_Decay

The final nail in the coffin

29 minutes ago, Mowglia said:

Come live with us on Epic; at least then you can beat these scumbags and make them pay for their crimes.

Than again...he'll also have to deal with casual robbers way more often.. unless that's a plus.. it's a minus scenario.

If only WO had a mode/map with pvp and no loss.. letting players just poke each other with sticks and stones.. for the fight and teamplay.. of it.... let them learn in there.... than maybe they'll join the gear gamble with full loss on death on epic/chaos/etc kingdoms.

How did nobody realize that if something doesn't work.. there could be 'helping wheels' for that.. to just get started.. at least..

5 hours ago, Finnn said:

Than again...he'll also have to deal with casual robbers way more often.. unless that's a plus.. it's a minus scenario.

If only WO had a mode/map with pvp and no loss.. letting players just poke each other with sticks and stones.. for the fight and teamplay.. of it.... let them learn in there.... than maybe they'll join the gear gamble with full loss on death on epic/chaos/etc kingdoms.

How did nobody realize that if something doesn't work.. there could be 'helping wheels' for that.. to just get started.. at least..

I wasn't entirely serious; if he wanted to live on a PvP server he'd presumably already be doing it. Although we do get a bit more latitude to deal with the scumbags, it has to be said. Casual robbers aren't the problem here so much as...um...civil wars and mass murder :rolleyes:

But yeah you're right, Freedom is obviously safer. If a deed goes down here it's definitely getting looted too. I guess my point was that on Epic you've got options rather than having to just suck it up.

I don't ever want to play a map mode with PvP and no loss; the potential for loss is what makes PvP exciting. In the end stuff can be replaced, at least up to a point, and as long as your friends/community are there to help out when you get kicked in the nuts then it takes the sting out of it. Which leads us back to the guy's original observation, that as soon as his deed went down certain members of his community were in there faster than ferrets up a drainpipe, helping themselves to his stuff. That would wind me up too, so I can appreciate the guy's exasperation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mowglia said:

on Epic you've got options rather than having to just suck it up.

Without an army on epic, sometimes sucking it up is your only option. One can dream of the future but today you could just have to pay.

"the potential for loss is what makes PvP exciting"-yes but it can be frustrating for the potential to become the real loss. Still I agree

Edited by lowborn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, lowborn said:

Without an army on epic, sometimes sucking it up is your only option. One can dream of the future but today you could just have to pay.

Absolutely, there are times when there is literally nothing you can do except suck it up :mellow:

Some losses are really difficult to deal with, like the OP's deed; even your friends might not be able to do much then other than offer words of support, which is small comfort for months if not years of lost time and energy.

All I can say to Wurmians, whether PvE or PvP (it really doesn't matter), is try to cope with the losses and get through it. When a player quits their friends are losing a neighbour too.

• Like 2

Then I am a vulture, scum, robber, looter. 

No this was not me, but dead deed looting is a thing.  If it were not, then I would not have survived long enough to enjoy what this game has to offer.   I have never stalked a deed, but if I rolled up on one and noticed ANY visual decay, then I pilfer.   Thats my code - wont speak for others. 

Choices are to use real money, churn through the grind, loot, or join a commune.   There are limited opportunities otherwise .   

I have sold nothing, nor do I truly desire to.  

I would never have stayed if I could not use my real money to purchase gear.   The #1 QoL improvement was buying decent armor and a 90ql weapon with LT.  Hands down the biggest “skip to easy mode” investment.   The rest I pilfer or make myself.  I have never deeded, nor intend to, and dead deeds are everywhere.  Only thing left at many deeds are secured items.   Floor looms are often the last man standing, standing among throngs of long abandoned carts and wagons.   Untouchable.   

Be careful what we wish for.   If it is a systemic issue that is affecting the sandbox significantly, then I support change - whatever that is worth. 

This event seems unfortunate, like falling down a mountain because you weren't paying attention, or unloading cargo on a locked down deed.  Distasteful and unfortunate, but I see no crime.   

Good luck.  

I think the issue was not his deed being looted, but a building used to loot being left there blocking him from redeeding. 

Since this thread the building was removed, but as a general nicety, if you're using a temp building for anything, blow it up after

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I think the issue was not his deed being looted, but a building used to loot being left there blocking him from redeeding. 

Since this thread the building was removed, but as a general nicety, if you're using a temp building for anything, blow it up after

Fair enough,

Cheers!

When i first started playing WURM it was Deed it or loose it and that was 2014ish, still the same. I again stress the main problem of LACK OF THINGS TO DO BESIDES CRAFTING!!!!!!!!!! I Implore the Game Developers to create some kind of Exploration Ruins/Dungeon server Islands where players can work together in PVE environment for rare resource nodes, explore ruins and dungeons using Lock pick, Sneak, Detect  Traps, etc etc. and have some loot chests or other reward like items they can obtain as unique loot items. Jackal is a good start but I also firmly think just adding a couple more things to do NON CRAFTING Based will help. The Rift Camps are another great addition.

Sorry for your loss of the HOTA, I had like 8-10 rares stolen from me by a Villager, my fault as I forgot to change perms on a wagon I have. I didn't quit and graciously out of kindness and friendship, some in game friends even gave me a couple minor rare items. Thank you my friends. 

On 11/30/2019 at 11:40 AM, ArthurHawkwing said:

When i first started playing WURM it was Deed it or loose it and that was 2014ish, still the same. I again stress the main problem of LACK OF THINGS TO DO BESIDES CRAFTING!!!!!!!!!! I Implore the Game Developers to create some kind of Exploration Ruins/Dungeon server Islands where players can work together in PVE environment for rare resource nodes, explore ruins and dungeons using Lock pick, Sneak, Detect  Traps, etc etc. and have some loot chests or other reward like items they can obtain as unique loot items. Jackal is a good start but I also firmly think just adding a couple more things to do NON CRAFTING Based will help. The Rift Camps are another great addition.

Sorry for your loss of the HOTA, I had like 8-10 rares stolen from me by a Villager, my fault as I forgot to change perms on a wagon I have. I didn't quit and graciously out of kindness and friendship, some in game friends even gave me a couple minor rare items. Thank you my friends. 

I  still think Treasure Maps from the WU community would be an amazing addition to address this. Maybe not exactly the same, but a system based on that idea. I loved doing the treasure maps, and I have no idea why they arent live right now. Its possible, since it exists in WU. 

@Retrogradesomething to think about for the Steam release to keep people interested!

Treasure map's are a lot of fun, and we did discuss having them in (They were included as the new skill mentioned in the roadmap) But with the change of focus I don't know if they will be coming or in what form. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 9:39 PM, Retrograde said:

Treasure map's are a lot of fun, and we did discuss having them in (They were included as the new skill mentioned in the roadmap) But with the change of focus I don't know if they will be coming or in what form. 

That's a shame. That's something that would give life to the PVE on Freedom for one. That, mixed with the "dungeons" that I've seen made on certain WU servers would give WO Freedom a lot of what its missing: Purpose. Something to do. 

On 12/13/2019 at 9:52 AM, Wonka said:

How do treasure maps work?  I've not played them yet.

Basically you often get a Treasure Map item every so often while digging or mining or something like that. You then take that item and use it with your compass (I believe) and it gives you a direction like Locate Soul does. You follow the direction until you find the spot.

Once you find the spot you activate your shovel and right click the treasure map and dig for treasure. The action consumes the map and spawns a treasure chest and a few mobs. You kill the mobs and loot (or lockpick at high quality maps) similar to the random spawn chests on Epic, and get loot of different kinds. Nothing crazy, but enough to do the search. Its very fun and something that takes you around the server in a hunt. Worth it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Once you find the spot you activate your shovel and right click the treasure map and dig for treasure. The action consumes the map and spawns a treasure chest and a few mobs.

I haven't played with treasure maps. Sounds like fun (apart from the spawned mobs).   

In WO, this could be achieved using just a simple adaptation of the archaeology reports.  You trowel about in the wilderness and find a map.  Archaeology caches always struck me as having the potential to contain stuff that is a little more exciting. Perhaps fragments of treasure maps could be found in archaeology caches and then pieced together to make a complete treasure map, just an idea.  Right click the complete map and select Get Direction in the same way as the arch reports. 

8 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

and get loot of different kinds

It would indeed be cool if some of these maps led to more substantial treasure caches with different kinds of loot.  Maybe some might have coins, some might have armour/weapons, a few might have magic potions, or something completely different.

It might be worth working a bit harder to put together such a treasure map, if the ultimate rewards were something a bit more exciting and surprising.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Muse said:

I haven't played with treasure maps. Sounds like fun (apart from the spawned mobs).   

In WO, this could be achieved using just a simple adaptation of the archaeology reports.  You trowel about in the wilderness and find a map.  Archaeology caches always struck me as having the potential to contain stuff that is a little more exciting. Perhaps fragments of treasure maps could be found in archaeology caches and then pieced together to make a complete treasure map, just an idea.  Right click the complete map and select Get Direction in the same way as the arch reports. 

It would indeed be cool if some of these maps led to more substantial treasure caches with different kinds of loot.  Maybe some might have coins, some might have armour/weapons, a few might have magic potions, or something completely different.

It might be worth working a bit harder to put together such a treasure map, if the ultimate rewards were something a bit more exciting and surprising.

Me like. Muse for Dev 2020!

Archaeology has enough depth and enjoyment in it, linking maps to it just makes it a more heavy skill when it could be added to say... Tracking. 

There's a lot of design work done, it's just whether the heavy lifting of code and balance can be done in a reasonable time frame. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Archaeology has enough depth and enjoyment in it, linking maps to it just makes it a more heavy skill when it could be added to say... Tracking. 

There's a lot of design work done, it's just whether the heavy lifting of code and balance can be done in a reasonable time frame. 

Tracking does seem a bit underused to me. And I would love treasure maps.

Since is a non starter of a thread bad PR  was resolved after intial post and player didnt redeed anyway its gone way ywa off track and really should be closed instead of bumped by posts.

So i wanted to bring to light something related to this topic actually

So patch notes showed "Bugfix:  Fixed an issue with deed disbanding email not being sent." that is nice

What isnt nice is that a alliance member lost her indy deed(which she was sure of had more then enough upkeep still) in this time period and who ever dam vulture prayed on her deed broke in the moment it dropped placed and left shacks and stole pretty much all that was seen as "useful"

This now makes that story count to 5 this year alone from what i have heard myself with the one above being just this recently and who ever these loot vultures are even leaving their carts and stuff behind(i guess hoping for houses to drop or whatever) anyway i have to ask the wurm community this

In a game that is bleeding players left and right do you guys really want to act like such bad vultures where you drive away the few remaining active players? especially around times like this? but just in general do we want word to get out along the same time of where we are trying to grow that the word of mouth is "hey you have to deed everything you own no matter how small and always make sure you got months of upkeep and set calendar reminders to add more money into the game or a player will loot everything the first hour your deed drops" or "hey newbies be prepared for a veteran player to just drive by and load that unsecured fsb you made with all your goods in it and he will receive no punishment for it"

Do you want your image to become "wurm online a game where you HAVE to pay for a deed to secure your items or else you will 100% loose them" and thus scare of people who want to try the game but dont instantly want to pay?

Preying on deeds has been a thing for a long time but we all overlooked it as most of the time its on deeds where the actual person quit the game but recently especially this year more and more times deeds are destroyed items looted from active players who maybe forgot to pay upkeep or real life showed up causing them to not be able to afford it or in the case of the story above they started to rely on the emails and where convinced they had money and not seeing any email come in where sure it was fine still but still lost their deed

So really what does the wurm community want to be seen as as a toxic backstabbing community where that random stranger who helped you out as a newbie now knows where you live and you wake up tomorrow with everything but your locked cart gone and you rage quit or a caring small community that punishes the bad apples publicly by being allowed and able and supported for outing those who decide to pray on crap like this

Is it just me who when he finds a pile of items which shows decayed corpse that i grab everything and try to contact the owners(if signatures are found or renamed tools) or help pay for resettlement cost if someone deeds in an area im working on or ride halfway across the server to help a newbie who keeps dying trying to get their corpse back or are there more people who actually give a dam about how we come across to new players and old alike?

• Like 8
  • Cat 1

11 hours ago, wipeout said:

So i wanted to bring to light something related to this topic actually

So patch notes showed "Bugfix:  Fixed an issue with deed disbanding email not being sent." that is nice

What isnt nice is that a alliance member lost her indy deed(which she was sure of had more then enough upkeep still) in this time period and who ever dam vulture prayed on her deed broke in the moment it dropped placed and left shacks and stole pretty much all that was seen as "useful"

This now makes that story count to 5 this year alone from what i have heard myself with the one above being just this recently and who ever these loot vultures are even leaving their carts and stuff behind(i guess hoping for houses to drop or whatever) anyway i have to ask the wurm community this

In a game that is bleeding players left and right do you guys really want to act like such bad vultures where you drive away the few remaining active players? especially around times like this? but just in general do we want word to get out along the same time of where we are trying to grow that the word of mouth is "hey you have to deed everything you own no matter how small and always make sure you got months of upkeep and set calendar reminders to add more money into the game or a player will loot everything the first hour your deed drops" or "hey newbies be prepared for a veteran player to just drive by and load that unsecured fsb you made with all your goods in it and he will receive no punishment for it"

Do you want your image to become "wurm online a game where you HAVE to pay for a deed to secure your items or else you will 100% loose them" and thus scare of people who want to try the game but dont instantly want to pay?

Preying on deeds has been a thing for a long time but we all overlooked it as most of the time its on deeds where the actual person quit the game but recently especially this year more and more times deeds are destroyed items looted from active players who maybe forgot to pay upkeep or real life showed up causing them to not be able to afford it or in the case of the story above they started to rely on the emails and where convinced they had money and not seeing any email come in where sure it was fine still but still lost their deed

So really what does the wurm community want to be seen as as a toxic backstabbing community where that random stranger who helped you out as a newbie now knows where you live and you wake up tomorrow with everything but your locked cart gone and you rage quit or a caring small community that punishes the bad apples publicly by being allowed and able and supported for outing those who decide to pray on crap like this

Is it just me who when he finds a pile of items which shows decayed corpse that i grab everything and try to contact the owners(if signatures are found or renamed tools) or help pay for resettlement cost if someone deeds in an area im working on or ride halfway across the server to help a newbie who keeps dying trying to get their corpse back or are there more people who actually give a dam about how we come across to new players and old alike?

You're complaining to a toilet that the turd inside it stinks.

Free deeds is almost better for the game at this point.  If Joe's deed never goes away, it makes the servers look a lot more populated, like a new player would actually think about joining the community.  It would seem like more than 10 people are playing on a given server.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Free deeds is almost better for the game at this point.  If Joe's deed never goes away, it makes the servers look a lot more populated, like a new player would actually think about joining the community.  It would seem like more than 10 people are playing on a given server.

What will you do about owning multiple deeds?

Where are the limits drawn to remove the chance of abuse?

What about the fact that with deeds never disbanding, you'll never see a space taken again?

How about alts? How would you ensure I can't just run a million alts and deed crazy amounts of land across multiple accounts?

The landrush this idea would cause is nuts, and it'd just cement the idea that players cannot lone wolf themselves if they wish to.

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Overall I agree, though in that case I'd link the deed to the premium of its owner, with it automatically disbanding after you haven't been premium for a certain amount of time (a couple of months?). Deeds would probably also need to become more expensive to create if the upkeep is removed. Perhaps an increase in cost after certain milestones, so that on average a deed that currently has 1s of upkeep wouldn't become more expensive to create, but anything beyond that steadily would become more and more expensive per additional tile.

4 minutes ago, Madnath said:

What about the fact that with deeds never disbanding, you'll never see a space taken again?

How about alts? How would you ensure I can't just run a million alts and deed crazy amounts of land across multiple accounts?

The landrush this idea would cause is nuts, and it'd just cement the idea that players cannot lone wolf themselves if they wish to.

Linking it to premium, so they can disband, should do the trick for all the issues you mention.

Edited by Ecrir

5 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Its telling when the suggested solution to low player counts is to artificially increase perception. Sad, really.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Madnath said:

Its simple the idea i proposed before deeds are free up to a certain size while mayor is prem above that size upkeep is required once upkeep runs out deed shrinks down to max free size deed it can be at and disbands in a week upon prem loss
Cost of making a deed and increasing size still remains

Now you fixed all your issues right there

14 hours ago, wipeout said:

Its simple the idea i proposed before deeds are free up to a certain size while mayor is prem above that size upkeep is required once upkeep runs out deed shrinks down to max free size deed it can be at and disbands in a week upon prem loss
Cost of making a deed and increasing size still remains

Now you fixed all your issues right there

That then removes a lot of freedom that the current system offers. Let's use a real world example...

Zethreal is currently on a break from the game due to real life taking over. Under this system, he'd have no choice but to pay every month for premium for a game which he cannot even play, unlike in the current system where he can put X amount of money into the deed and know it'll last for the amount of time he's given.

It also does not fix "all" of my issues. You fail to address owning multiple deeds and the possibility of alt abuse.

Not saying your idea is all bad, but it's equally as flawed as what we have now. If it's "better" or not is totally subjective.

• Like 1