Sign in to follow this  
As_I_Decay

The final nail in the coffin

My deed dropped less than 24 hours ago and some upstanding player came along and built a shed 3 tiles from where my token stood, just to steal a planted HOTA. Now, they've got the HOTA and I am left with a shed in the center of what was my deed so that I may not deed again. 

I've already put in a /support in, though I don't think it'll go anywhere. I've read here in the forums from others with similar thefts that have claimed that the team considers using a shed to circumvent anti-theft mechanics on PVE to be "fair game". Whatever. Another ridiculous decision in the long list of Wurm's ridiculous decisions...

Standing here at the location my token once was, I am now over 3 hours in waiting for a response for my /support call. And when a GM finally does contact me, in the off chance that they're able to help and remove this shed from the center of my deed, the question begs to be answered: Do I really want to bother redeeding? Honestly, at this point, no. There are many reasons, including the ever-dwindling player base. 

No, I'm not rage quitting over a silly statue. But I am finally giving up, disappointed.

How many are left playing this game? And out of those people, how many are not even giving a deed owner 24 hours to redeed before hawkishly building sheds inside of the deed to swoop down on valuables? And how many of them are leaving their sheds behind, as a big middle finger to the person they just stole from, blocking them from redeeding over their hard work?

Please, I implore you (the remaining community) to take one thing from my post: This game is dying and doing scumbag things like tossing up (and then leaving) a shed in the middle of a village that has just disbanded, just so you can acquire a 5s item, is going to leave you with nobody left to play with.

To all of those who I consider my friends, I will try to see you one, last time in-game. Some of you aren't very active so I don't know if I will get to visit everyone. For all of those that I've had good relations with, thank you for the 10+ years of fun gameplay and a great community. If any of you would like to keep in touch, feel free to add me on Steam. Send a private message if I won't recognize you by your Steam handle. 

• Like 20
  • Cat 2

Witnessed same thing happened quite a few times recently. It's kind of "common sense" now. Sadly, you probably won't get anything other then a "blame on you", from the support tiket. I don't know you but, I guess, i am feeling the same as you, disappointed. Hope the things will change on better when you come back play again. Good luck

I think many of us have been in a similar situation. Forced to wait before deeding or re-deeding for no reason, other than another player's throwaway forgotten action.

...and yet there is the vulture in all of us, the zeal of chasing after loot can affect (otherwise wonderful) players in unexpected and unpleasant ways.

I think it is time to take that deep breath and reflect on all that player cannot take away from you - your friends, your reputation, your experiences, and your future friends and experiences.

These things are in your hands, and I would say - don't be so quick to write off the game you love because of some unlovable action on the part of someone you don't even know.

Surely they should not hold that much power over your future happiness...

I for one would be immensely sorry at even the risk you might leave, you're one of the nicest players I have ever met, kind, helpful almost to a fault, good company and interesting to talk with.   I think if this anonymous person ever got the chance to get to know you he would never have done anything against you.  Personally I would give him, and the game, another chance :)

Take Care.

Edited by Muse
  • Like 8

Ya it's a very different community now a days then years ago.

I let my premium expire a while back for the first time in a long long time. I was thinking about coming back and resubbing but after reading all that is going on with Wurm Steam and the devs basically just leaving the faithful WU community out to dry with no final update to bring WU up to where WO is now was pretty much the final nail for me.  Now the devs want to further divide the community with some new Steam version of WO? Nawww im done supporting these guys and WO, at least until they rethink things but I am pretty sure that wont happen as I am sure this is just a last ditch attempt to keep the game alive.  I guess I can certainly understand that but I don't have to agree with or support how they are going about it.

I will play WU and support the server admins of that version with the money WO would have got from me.

Sorry to hear about your deed troubles, its just the nature of the players now unfortunately.

Good luck!

Edited by Stardog765
  • Like 2

You know, I hate seeing players having to go through things like this. However, people being jerks is not appreciated in the community and most of us feel for you and want to help you out rather than see you leave us. I'm sorry that you have to experience such a troll move but it's not a representation of the community, just one individual who obviously hasn't understood the meaning of anything other than personal gain. Please don't let one player ruin it for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, As_I_Decay said:

No, I'm not rage quitting over a silly statue. But I am finally giving up, disappointed.

I can just recommend you switching over to Wurm Unlimited before you completly give up with Wurm. No matter which server you choose, such problems are likely to be resolved a lot quicker in your favor. GM teams in WU have less strict rules and often focus on the best solution to have happy players and the best customer care instead of sticking to static rules which often don't suit your problem completly, but are still taken into account no matter of the context around. And especially on bigger servers support response times are often less than in WO.

• Like 2

Sad to hear you face a shed in the middle of the place blocking redeeding. I understand how that feels you are with no tool to resolve that situation.

Let me give some hope though, GM responding your ticket may opt to reach out to the owner of that shed asking them to remove it. 

I was on the receiving end of such a request, I had a shed at a spot in a desert where a player wanted to build and a GM asked me if I'm willing to remove my structure there.

Maybe... maybe such an act would make the owner to demolish that shed.

• Like 1

A friend of mine was in a similar situation and  the fun part was that she was stuck in the 1 tile shed and couldn't come out.. so the GM helped her in that case and poofed the shed.

There is a special kind of people watching the disband list and having maped all deeds before hand and ready to go loot it..its a very sad thing and drops motivation on many of us.

• Like 1

So... you let your deed expire and someone took something from it and your mad? lol

• Like 4

Not the first time somebody leaves the game because somebody steals something and tos or rules just allow it to happen.

Wonder when somebody will learn and change this.

--edit

17 minutes ago, phennexion said:

So... you let your deed expire and someone took something from it and your mad? lol

Some items worth to other way more than their market value here.. one of few reasons certain people wont ever try pvp(full loss on raid/death).

He did say it's 5s worth hota.. doesn't mean much, I didn't read that other was taken.. but the idea that rules of the game do not protect you at all.. could give you ideas to seek less stressful environment than writing your upkeep time on a note.. just so you don't forget that one thing in a game, life have enough chores already.

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

You should pay upkeep for few years not daily basis...  I always have all my deeds year or 2 upkeep just incase...  also i will build 1x1 house at your place to...  or mybe not becose im lazy and will just deed all over the place till got time to rob it all ...   I belive im not alone here doing that

Also pls use /suicide to get out of the house :D   exstra lot for guy who take over Hota

Edited by Sila

Vultures doesn't give a crap about the game, they just want to earn few silvers and turn it into money so they profit. Gone are the days of even some gentleman's code. "Deed it or lose it"  mentality doesn't go very far anymore..  i mean.. who benefits if a player quits the game? There is no new players on sight, so you may rob a few players and make them quit the game, but there wont be others to rob soon. GG and WP is all i can say.

• Like 5

I wouldn't be against helping chip in if people wanted to pool together to get this man a new hota if that's what it'd take to keep you in the game.

As much as I understand the rules allow it, the deed dropped and such, it's still lame you lost something. I don't know you at all, but it'd be better for us all to keep people in the game so I'm happy to work with anyone who'd like to if you'd maybe consider staying.

I'm ill sorry if I cannot into English

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, phennexion said:

I stated in the OP that I was disappointed, not mad.

Besides, the stolen statue is not the issue here. The issue is that there are very little players left in this community and there are going to be even less if people keep continuing to completely screw people over just for some meager gains.

I have a deed that I spent years building, that is now usless to me because I wasn't exactly active and happened to let my upkeep lapse (for 13 hours).

To the others who have posted to coax me back, this situation isn't the only factor that is making me finally give up Wurm, it's just the icing on the cake.

• Like 4

once i lost my deed with 1 year upkeep.... just becose someone abuse system of voting and he vote me out of 2 citizen village..   All i got was 10s from GMs and stick in my a ss

And those were quite different times back then.

Back then even a non-democracy could still vote out the mayor, and permissions were a bit simpler but harder to manage players than now.

You invited someone to your deed and gave them the permission to invite others, and then lost the deed when he invited alts and voted you from the mayor role.

So at that time it was a mistake on the mayor's part in the case of permissions.

The 10s was likely for the cost of a new settlement form for a new deed.

But again, different times.

I feel for you, and I 100% understand what you must be feeling right now (unfortunately). ❤️💔

Not trying to steal attention away from your misfortune here, but I'm going to share a little story about a similar situation to showcase more of the toxic player mentality that actively drives players away:

During the first day of Xanadu me and a bunch of friends set out to find the perfect spot to plant a little deed on (nothing extravagant, just a nice little home where we could enjoy the server and play on our newly created characters). After a long walk and lots of scouting we finally found the perfect little spot where we planted our token, and ~10 tiles offdeed we started a mine to get the material we needed since the deed was on a tiny peninsula without a rock layer underneath. Can anyone guess where this is going? If you guessed that someone deeded over the mine to intentionally grief us you are correct.

At first we thought that maybe the people who deeded over the mine did it by mistake, since a lot of people want to live by the water. Perhaps they didn't realize that we had a mine there that hadn't yet been gate-housed, and perhaps they hadn't realized that their deed basically bordered ours. So we checked the token to see who owned the deed, because we thought that maybe we could talk to them and see what was up. It became evident right away that the deed was intentionally placed there in order to grief us because the deed motto was "Deed it or loose it" (yes, misspelt like that). It struck us as odd since why would anyone do that? Why would someone deed-grief us in an area where we were completely certain that we were the first ones to ever live?

I started walking around in the area where we deeded and noticed that there were deeds outside our local area that all seemed to be in the same alliance, and this is where it got murky. Some of the deeds were planted before ours and some after, but the more I looked around the more I realized that they had counted on being able to control the entire area by deeding in a circle around the water. I also swam to the island that was to the south of us and realized that the deed on it was also part of the alliance, and that the alt that had planted the misspelt turd motto deed resided there. So I started lurking the forums and chats, and realized that these people (after we had planted our deed) had started planning a market area that was counting on our peninsula to work. They seemed to be planning to make two landbridges from the island: One going west and one north, and thus turn the bay into a lake. The problem of course being that we had a deed north of the island. A deed we planted within the first 36 hours of Xanadu's opening, on land that they somehow still felt entitled to. We owned the deed on what was pristine land, it hadn't as much as been dug on before we planted our deed, and yet they felt so entitled to it that they planted a deed on our mine in order to intimidate us enough to get us to leave - Without ever talking to us. If they had spoken to us we might've been able to reach a solution that was amicable for all of us - Maybe they could've bought our deed, or maybe we could've told them not to plant more deeds since their plan wouldn't work out. But no, they went straigt for the deed-griefing.

Obviously the support call we made led nowhere, since the "deed it or lose it" yada yada blah blah is so ingrained in people that not even obvious grief can set off alarms. We ended up buying the griefers off using a large amount of ql95 iron lumps as payment, so essentially we were extorted and it still counted as fair gameplay on a PvE server.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 7

Maybe make it impossible to loot a deed for a week after disband due to upkeep occurs. The decay still continues but it gives a person who accidently allow a deed to lapse a little more time to re-deed.

If a person loves to scavenge old deeds they can still continue albeit after the seven days.

Wurm gains new deed money, the ex-mayor gains by having a chance to retain their deed and the scavengers simply need to be able to tell the time and add 168 hours to the time of lapse.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Madrocks said:

Deed it or lose it.

The scum of the forums liked that filthy drivel once more. It seems that always the lowest cheer that motto.

And towards the thread starter: We probably never met, but please rethink your decision, you seem to have enough friends making it worth to continue. Personally I always detested deed looting yet saw a point in saving items which would have rot away otherwise. But this vulture mentality I always found repulsive. (btw. also Sklo's vulture mentality fishing for customers).

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 3

On 10/25/2019 at 12:41 PM, Retrograde said:

REpK0gd.jpg

We have tinkered a bit for deeds to send out emails via the login server. Luckily instead of needing to configure each server to send emails we've adjusted it so the server can tell the login server to send it. 

This is currently in our testing phase but if it works we could see it come soon. 

• Like 1

Oh man. I'm so sorry to hear this happened.  🤬   Does Becket know yet?  I don't blame you a bit for being ticked off about it.  Like you said, it's not about the statue, it's about the ****wad move of putting up a shed there and then leaving it so you can't redeed.  In my opinion, that kind of mean spirited bs is half of what's wrong with WO and would not be tolerated on any of the WU pve servers I've played.  Honestly, you should come back to WU.

• Like 1