Sign in to follow this  
crimsonearth

Can we have gift boxes back?

I gather they were discontinued as people were abusing the no/reduced decay feature, but we don't need them to have that feature. It's just super nice to give people seasonal, birthday, thank you and 'just because' gifts and fosters community - and the giftwrap was a nice presentation feature that encouraged that. Would be nice to have them to use for what they were originally intended.

• Like 12
  • Cat 1

Yes please. I carry around unopened gifts just for the nostalgia.

• Like 2

It would be nice to give gifts all year round. Different people celebrate different things.

Perhaps with a reduced decay, so they will decay if not opened in a couple of weeks

Perhaps decay will be initially just on the wrapping, so once that comes off, the item that was inside decays as normal.

A few months ago, I found some very old wrapped gift boxes on my deed that were not addressed to anyone, and had great fun opening them and seeing what they were.

I think there should be more of this kind of spontaneous fun at unexpected times throughout the year. :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Muse said:

Perhaps with a reduced decay, so they will decay if not opened in a couple of weeks

Perhaps decay will be initially just on the wrapping, so once that comes off, the item that was inside decays as normal.

I imagine that would have similar issues around exploitation, but I'd far rather have them with no impact on decay than not have them at all. There's already means to preserve foods, so I think all you really want is to know that items won't decay whilst in the mail system, if possible.

But, yeah - it's lovely for strengthening community, and its also super nice from a perms point of view to be able to, say, leave a gift for someone that only they can open. I don't know if it causes issues with mail costs (idr if you could wrap satchels with multiple gifts, for example) but presumably this could be overcome in the same way that posting satchels and backpacks is.

4 hours ago, crimsonearth said:

I imagine that would have similar issues around exploitation, but I'd far rather have them with no impact on decay than not have them at all. There's already means to preserve foods, so I think all you really want is to know that items won't decay whilst in the mail system, if possible.

But, yeah - it's lovely for strengthening community, and its also super nice from a perms point of view to be able to, say, leave a gift for someone that only they can open. I don't know if it causes issues with mail costs (idr if you could wrap satchels with multiple gifts, for example) but presumably this could be overcome in the same way that posting satchels and backpacks is.

I see no reason for the wrapping to be charged additionally.. could be skipped instead.. it just makes sense..

Not that such things matter around often..

Do you pay 2x copper for a wrapped meat piece sent over the mail?

Just because it now says wrapped?

Should a pizza slice cost 2x because it's wrapped? 🤔

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Finnn said:

I see no reason for the wrapping to be charged additionally.. could be skipped instead.. it just makes sense..

Not that such things matter around often..

Do you pay 2x copper for a wrapped meat piece sent over the mail?

Just because it now says wrapped?

Should a pizza slice cost 2x because it's wrapped? 🤔

I think you misunderstood me - I wasn't suggesting you get charged for the wrapping, I'm saying wrapping a satchel full of gifts shouldn't become an exploit to cut down the costs of, say, sending someone a satchel of gems through the mail, so whatever mail costs normally apply to a given amount of items in the mail should still apply whether or not they're gift-wrapped.

Yes this topic is not aimed at the food wrapping.

• Like 1

I would buy a unknown gift box. 50 copper. We call them grab bags. I don't know whats inside. Its a gamble. 

10 hours ago, crimsonearth said:

I think you misunderstood me - I wasn't suggesting you get charged for the wrapping, I'm saying wrapping a satchel full of gifts shouldn't become an exploit to cut down the costs of, say, sending someone a satchel of gems through the mail, so whatever mail costs normally apply to a given amount of items in the mail should still apply whether or not they're gift-wrapped.

Was the xmas wrapping system allowing players to wrap containers with something in them?

19 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Was the xmas wrapping system allowing players to wrap containers with something in them?

It was 2014 they were discontinued I think, so tbh I don't remember. The exploit they were removed from the game for was the reduced/no decay, judging by the announcement I found when I went digging through archives.

• Cat 1

pelts/whetstones.. impossible to hold in other than inventory, lmc/smc/merchant.. without taking damage.. or tools.. I guess whatever other valuable... that takes damage otherwise...

Makes sense to 'use' as game's so harsh with the decay...

But how else to handle the habits of the hoarding player force : /

If that other problem gets handles in another way.. this could just be a wrapping for fun and events.. rather than complication as it have turned

IDK what stops the devs from reviving the wrapping without the decay protection and letting players to just do it for the RP and event spirit..

if only there was a way to summon a staff member to explain 🤔 (we need a suggestion and mechanic for that on forums.. collect X number of Cats on a post to receive a dev reply?)

30 minutes ago, Finnn said:

IDK what stops the devs from reviving the wrapping without the decay protection and letting players to just do it for the RP and event spirit...

That is precisely what this post is asking for :)

• Like 1

Why not just a empty gift box for looks then different styles ....🎁

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Why not just a empty gift box for looks then different styles ....🎁

scshh.. they'll ask for painted boxes next.. lets keep that for next year, 1 fight at a time🤫😁

One always asks for more and settles for what they really wanted.   :)

• Like 1

The gift boxes has a few different stiles.

I have a few laying around, not sure if it is 2-3 kinds.

• Like 1

I guess they gave a way to bypass mail restrictions back in the day as well - transforming something into a gift box makes it small enough to fit into a mailbox.  They also drastically reduce the weight of whatever they wrap - see the previous Xmas gifts for examples.

It'd be nice to have them back, just need to work out a way to make them less exploity.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Will see about this being possible

Thank you for considering it. :)

Wrapping items used to be a way around volume restrictions for the mail system, with people sending things like entire felled trees through the mail, and probably other items that were otherwise unmailable.

But I agree, I think Wurm lost something when we lost those nicely wrapped gift boxes, I still see them around, little unopenable gift boxes, with names from the past still attached like little sad reminders of happier times... By all means, overhaul the system, make sure they take up the same volume/weight as the wrapped item would, make sure that only a single item can be wrapped, make sure normal decay rules apply, and let’s have real parcels under our Christmas trees, let us send gifts to our friends, and let us once more have the joy of opening those neat little boxes to see what’s inside.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

10 minutes ago, Zenity said:

Wrapping items used to be a way around volume restrictions for the mail system, with people sending things like entire felled trees through the mail, and probably other items that were otherwise unmailable.

But I agree, I think Wurm lost something when we lost those nicely wrapped gift boxes, I still see them around, little unopenable gift boxes, with names from the past still attached like little sad reminders of happier times... By all means, overhaul the system, make sure they take up the same volume/weight as the wrapped item would, make sure that only a single item can be wrapped, make sure normal decay rules apply, and let’s have real parcels under our Christmas trees, let us send gifts to our friends, and let us once more have the joy of opening those neat little boxes to see what’s inside.

or round it to next multiple of 5kg, so you cant wess that easily what is on the wrapped gift