Sign in to follow this  
lowborn

the dilution of WO

People say Wurm is dying but it is not. Its growing.

Looks like its dying but that's from dilution.

Steam:Wurm unlimited:Jackal:Twitter:Facebook:

The list is endless..

Search them and find your hole to join.

There are many private ones. So if you feel you are alone; you are not. Its just diluted. There are many containers. They are growing. Seek them out. One day they will fill and return to Wurm Online.

Just for fun post links you may have. 

Edited by lowborn
  • Like 1

yeah i love playing wurm on twitter and facebook

• Like 7

Moved to Wood Scraps.

I like the positive outlook for a change though :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

if you put the image upside down then the population is increasing.

That is the image for WO and only for those who are paying.

There are people who have purchased WU and never played WO.

They may migrate to WO because god mode encourages them to play in the real game.

Pluss there is much more talk going on in forums, twitter facebook due to WU and steam. 

This talk will have an impact. Slowly over time Wurm will survive and prosper.

Numbers remain around 2k and bump a bit around xmas or gift events for being prem.. you'd think somebody could get the hint and make more of that... more events and gifting unique random items... to buy a new villa or or small island somewhere one day..

I honestly can not remember other number.. probably easy to lurk around theinternetarchive and that mrtg url... to check old records, sure there have been better times with the online numbers before WU was a thing.

As for WO pulling people for whereever.. being wu or random places over the globe.. or flat earth.. whatever people believe in nowdays...  the game just needs more events and reason/s for players to actively contribute in them, at the end of the day.. server's one reason to be is to have people doing stuff on it.. nobody should care if they get more of this or that pixel.. if it keeps the customers happy and brings more on the table.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, darthryan said:

was there even a bump for jackal? oof

The line for September is a whole pixel higher than August! A massive success this was, hyping us up for more content and a potentially revamped gameplay just to find ourselves on yet another server with all skills to regrind rather than being able to engage in the revamped gameplay which also didn't exist except for recycling mobs from a far better content update, and even that one is still treated as rather contentious.

On a more serious note, it was said by staff that Jackal was "meant for new and old players alike", but as some players have observed, there are nothing but vets and the few odd returners on there. I think this graph puts any doubt about that observation to rest. The news of Jackal hasn't even remotely left the Wurm information sphere (I checked, please prove me wrong that this has appeared anywhere but on Wurm Online associated sites), I don't know how in the world they hoped to attract new players like that.

• Like 2

Should try circulating ads on Youtube. I bet that'd help.
Game has been around 2000 players for the past 10 years?(correct me if I'm wrong)
At least I remember seeing that graph a few years ago only to be showing the same slowly dying trend.
It will boost back up during Christmas when everyone prems up there alts to grab the Christmas gift. Then it will die down again.
Might see a sudden spike if/when the Halloween stuff kicks in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kswords said:

Should try circulating ads on Youtube. I bet that'd help.
Game has been around 2000 players for the past 10 years?(correct me if I'm wrong)
At least I remember seeing that graph a few years ago only to be showing the same slowly dying trend.
It will boost back up during Christmas when everyone prems up there alts to grab the Christmas gift. Then it will die down again.
Might see a sudden spike if/when the Halloween stuff kicks in.

Looking at waybackmachine the game had 5000-6000 premium players back in 2015, 2016

Thats a 65% decline.

Edited by Hamridge
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 6:25 PM, lowborn said:

One day they will fill and return to Wurm Online.

And by that time there might not be a Wurm Online anymore.

People talk about WO dying.. WU is not the problem here..

How are facebook pages gonna help? WO needs players not facebook followers to survive.

• Like 1

What can I say? You have to look at the bigger picture. Do you think virtual worlds are going away? That computers and the relaxing pastime will end?

When a product is the first and the best; Coca-Cola and many other brands have staying power and dominate the market. They don't die. They change and during that change there is an uproar, a loss of norm.

It may take time to find the new path, the new platform but Wurm has been and is still the best sandbox. Do you want to play Minecraft? Its not the same.

WurmOnline is changing and that is the dilution of Wurm. Its trying new ways, new servers and there is talk about it. That talk will lead to more players.

It may go down to one player before it finds what its looking for. It is steady. The number are close during the last year. Its just over more servers. If you think of those that went to WU- then It has grown. That is the dilution.

It wont last for ever. It may one day all merge. Look how many players go and come back. Those faithful players are growning.

Look for Wurm on the Holodeck of Star Trek. Maybe not today but one day.   

Edited by lowborn
  • Like 1

Hmm. I don't know.  I mean it sounds logical looking at it from one direction. I guess it could just seem like dilution when looked at that way.  I tend to look at it from another direction.  I see it as them adding more diversity, more options, more choices, which I feel is needed since Wurm is such a niche game.  More niches equals more players overall, (in the big picture) from the viewpoint of the core group that has their their fingers in all those pies.  And since the average Wurmian seems to be happy with their chosen niche (currently WO vs WU, soon to add Steam WO), each in their own way, it seems like a good business model to me. The more the merrier.  :)

• Like 2

To say that Wurm Online is doing well because people play Wurm Unlimited is like saying that your crackhead firstborn who sits on his bottom all day is a successful man because his little brother is going to college.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 12:25 PM, lowborn said:

Search them and find your hole to join.

..........There are many containers. They are growing. Seek them out. One day they will fill.......

This seems a very dire situation to me. If as you suggest I find a Wurm hole to live in and all these containers fill to overflowing then they will fill my livable hole with this liquid and it will no longer be habitable. No, no! I am moving to higher ground immediately and thank you for this timely warning. Maybe I will even build an ark too! Well, at least a corbita anyway. Come to think of it I already have one of those so when I see the lake water rising I will just quickly pack up everything and live aboard. Maybe this water will never go down though if people continue to arrive so it's probably best to discourage more people from playing. Ah ha! I discovered your clever plot here. Very devious...

=Ayes=

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ayes said:

This seems a very dire situation to me. If as you suggest I find a Wurm hole to live in and all these containers fill to overflowing then they will fill my livable hole with this liquid and it will no longer be habitable. No, no! I am moving to higher ground immediately and thank you for this timely warning. Maybe I will even build an ark too! Well, at least a corbita anyway. Come to think of it I already have one of those so when I see the lake water rising I will just quickly pack up everything and live aboard. Maybe this water will never go down though if people continue to arrive so it's probably best to discourage more people from playing. Ah ha! I discovered your clever plot here. Very devious...

=Ayes=

Mr Ayes at 5693 likes.

That's the good thing about the dilution of Wurm. You can always find a server where you can be alone or one that has many players.

Elevation is a place for pvp not solitary living. There is danger here from raids. If you enjoy this then STAY, If not then try WU where you can have the whole server to yourself.

Build that ark. They are coming.

Edited by lowborn