Sign in to follow this  
Lionblade

Wurm Online or Wurm Unlimited

I started out in WO, but decided to switch to WU because I couldn't afford to pay a monthly sub, and because I wanted to be able to make money by doing things I enjoy instead of just making bricks or digging dirt. A large majority of players in WO have already leveled up their skills so are not interested in purchasing items from new players since they would be of low quality. I also really enjoy the camaraderie that comes when all players are starting out on a pristine new server together. That is such a fun and fulfilling experience. It's also important for me to be able to make money doing what i truly love, instead of spending weeks grinding for a living doing tedious things like digging. There are so many more opportunities to earn a living in WU. 

• Like 5

If you can afford the subscription then play in WO. I think the most important part of the game is the community and the camaraderie you can find, and in WO there are still a good number of people that will welcome you. Even if you play casually and don't skill much, there are things you will enjoy doing if it's inside a community, like farming or cooking. If you go into WO hoping you will be able to pay your sub while playing, then it's better for you to go WU. It is doable to sub like that, but to do it comfortably you will have to depend on the goodwill and generosity of people to give you good deals, which generally won't happen often (i'm talking from experience here, i still thank my benefactors for the opportunity to play).

On the other hand, WU is not bad either. There are a bunch of good servers out there with different settings to match your desired playstyle. If you don't want the grind then there are servers with elevated rates out there. Want vanilla? there is that too. The server i'm playing right now has vanilla rates but modded kingdoms, religions and new monsters, if you are into it you can check it out, it's called Awakening. Another thing to take into account, like the person before me said, is that WU servers tend to be on the more undevelopped side, so depending on the server you will have a hard time procuring high-end tools with enchantments on them, as opposed to WO, so you might want to check that out if you are more of a power player.

• Like 3

I don't know how much you know about WO and WU, or what some of the differences are.  With that said, the thing to know about WU is that every server is run by different people and so has different features and mods.  It really all depends on how you like to play. Just think of WO as the base-line, with the WU servers being different in varying degrees on either side of the base-line. 

Some are faster and/or have more QoL things to make life easier. Some are as slow, or even slower and harder than WO.  Some are older, more established servers that have been running for years.  Some are newer.  Some are vanilla with just a few minor changes. Most have mini-maps.  Some have their own features like hunting servers, dungeons, monsters unique to their server, rideable/hitchable drakes and wargs, treasure chests, treasure maps, portals, recall runes, lycanthropy, earn money for killing mobs, some with free starter deeds, etc., etc. The list goes on & on.  Some pve only, some pvp only, some have both. 

It really all depends on what kind of Wurm experience you're looking for.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 3

Thank you all for the replies, I'll try out Wurm Unlimited then as it seems that I'll have more choice with it and I won't have to worry about the subscription.

If you look in the WU section of this forum, many of the servers are posted with all of their features listed to help making a decision where to play and what would be a good fit for your preferred playstyle.  The date of the original post will give you an idea how long a server has been running.  For myself, I actually play on a few different servers, depending on my mood on any given day. They're all very different from each other, and each with its' own charms & appeal.  The ones I personally like very much and spend most of my time on are Sklotopolis, Otherlands, Iron Moors, and Calysto.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lionblade said:

Thank you all for the replies, I'll try out Wurm Unlimited then as it seems that I'll have more choice with it and I won't have to worry about the subscription.

I am sure Wurm Unlimited is the best choice for you. Different servers offer different mods and settings, you really can play Wurm the way you want to play it. Faster, slower, more or less mods...

Plus there is a lot better QoL in Wurm Unlimited due to mods removing annoying gameplay mechanics.

With WU you can also load up the launcher and sort the server list by player count.  Reason I say this are some server listings here are no longer online.  I tend to look at the player count in the launcher list and then try to find that server's listing here for more details.

• Like 1

WO = the true experience,  WU = the faster experience with  quality of life  mods.

WO = is a game to play over years. i'm in my 9th .

WU = can be played fast enough to get to high level in a month on some servers, or grind as the same as WO but with cooler mods

WO = need to pay to skill above 20. but still can do almost everything or buy/trade for what you can't do

WU = is free after the bought the game. 

WO  = stable live for ever servers 

WU = a few stable servers, some leave after low population.  

future WO will be on steam as new server, I can see a good new population on it.   

won't hurt trying both.  worth buying WU for sure, as you can solo play if you want to.  I like it for testing things.

WU low pop on servers but friendly and helpful. but may find only a few online at certain hours

WO bigger population over all the servers combined , lots of helpful folks online at all play hours.  the forums for both games is here so tons of help

• Like 3

Would never ever play WU on someones server over WO but everyone has his own opinion...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, validate said:

WU low pop on servers but friendly and helpful. but may find only a few online at certain hours

It really all depends on the server. Most are low pop but I've found that they run the full gamut from always-low-pop to always-high-pop and everything in between. There are a few that are always high population and very active. 

On Sklotopolis, for instance, it's always high pop. No matter when I log in, there's always tons of people and it feels way more populated than WO. The chat is very active and goes so fast I sometimes have a hard time keeping up reading it & getting anything else done. lol. And trade is very active as well. People are out and about doing things and/or helping others so you always see people in local, events always have a lot of people (one dragon slaying I went to there were over 80 people there not counting alts. Numbers are known because the raffles are one character per Steam account). Community projects generally have a lot of people joining in. And this is with 3 servers you can travel between like in WO so you would think the pop would feel less but doesn't.

Other servers I play on or have played on, have medium population but with active communities as well, with active trade & chat, and I've found them to have a far more populated feel than WO in general.

And of course a lot of them I've been on are very quiet and feel more like a wilderness experience (which has it's own appeal depending on my mood), but with friendly and helpful people, as you said.  

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

Amadee "On Sklotopolis, for instance, it's always high pop."

Sorry . i do play there too and enjoy it. but the high pop is not true. looks like high numbers but that's due to players being paid to stay online AFK .  

a very good idea for free money in game, i love the idea. but it doesn't show true active players vs AFK money making players. I  use to just leave my character online for days myself.

I will say i feel this server is on top and very stable. good community too . 

my play time [09:21:42] You have played 19 days, 11 hours and 4 minutes.  On Sklotopolis,   i log in a few times a month and like to grind skills while playing WO . 

wow [09:21:42] You entered through the portal to Wurm on day of Awakening, week 2 of the Snake's starfall, 980. That's 1444 days, 9 hours and 41 minutes ago.  thats almost 4 yrs ago when i started on Sklotopois  😉

Edited by validate

31 minutes ago, validate said:

Sorry . i do play there too and enjoy it. but the high pop is not true. looks like high numbers but that's due to players being paid to stay online AFK .  

a very good idea for free money in game, i love the idea. but it doesn't show true active players vs AFK money making players. I  use to just leave my character online for days myself.

Interesting perspective. I can only say what my experience is and I don't pay any attention at all to what the Steam list server numbers say.  I know how many people I see all the time and interact with, no matter the time of day as well as the projects I've been involved with and the slayings I've been to.  The people in chat, the people I see out and about in local.  I know people love to talk about how the Steam numbers aren't correct, but the Steam numbers can't counterfeit the people I see for myself in game.  lol.  Of course some are alts and/or afk, same as in WO. But afk people aren't chatting with me, or trading with me, or running around passing through local, or participating in tunnel projects, etc.

Also, I'm not sure but I don't believe we get money for being online anymore. I know that when I have an alt on doing prayers, she never gets any money. (I know because her bank account is zero, lol. And I've not noticed any money going into my main's account either).  Probably because of some people doing the afk thing. Just karma now unless I'm mistaken, and I'm not even sure if we get that anymore either.

Edited by Amadee

1 hour ago, validate said:

my play time [09:21:42] You have played 19 days, 11 hours and 4 minutes.  On Sklotopolis,   i log in a few times a month and like to grind skills while playing WO . 

wow [09:21:42] You entered through the portal to Wurm on day of Awakening, week 2 of the Snake's starfall, 980. That's 1444 days, 9 hours and 41 minutes ago.  thats almost 4 yrs ago when i started on Sklotopois  😉

I thought they removed that from the server? Or did they bring it back I've not been on in a while.

I would personally say try Sklo, if you like it you can always go to WO if you really want to... The community is great in both WU and WO but very different in both. I feel in WU everyone is more friendly (at least on Sklo). In WO people have their groups and if you step on their toes you'll have some problems. Never ran into that on Sklo.

But this is also very rare on WO it's a great game and the community overall is amazing. I'm rambling. Play Sklo!

• Like 1

I found that certain WU servers (even low population ones) can actually feel more active than WO. I spent my first few days in WO and didn't see anyone in local, but when i switched to WU (a 1x1x roleplay server), the players were so active in chat that it felt much more populated than my experience on a much larger server in WO. I do enjoy how a smaller map lends itself to a feeling of being in a close knit community. 

• Like 1

RP .. blah..(not my thing)

Depends what you want.. if you want to RP, join a village.. you'll have it all day long...

For me.. there's GL-Freedom, Alliance, Freedom, Friend list to chat and interact with people.. rest is doing whatever I call 'fun' to do for few days/weeks/months.

There are no 'goals' to chase, you make your own, if you want to socialize .. just talk with people.. if you need them to be next to you to RP.. that's your requirement and valuable to you, I don't need any of that to have fun playing the game, chat's just fine.

For me the choice is clear. Do you want to play on a server in someone's basement with rules set by a 12 year old or drunk. Some server that may not even be here next week?

I cant say that is what is going to happen or even that is how it works but I trust WurmOnline. Its operated by professionals. They don't give in to rants. Its time tested years of work behind and years of work ahead.

This game is about work. You don't build a castle over night. You work for what you are proud of. Skills are just a small part of the game the rest is friends and digging, crafting and construction and exploration.

Do you want to work and explore in someone's basement or play the real thing. The choice is clear: WurmOnline !

Edited by lowborn
WormOnline to WurmOnline. lol
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, lowborn said:

For me the choice is clear...

This game is about work. You don't build a castle over night. You work for what you are proud of. Skills are just a small part of the game the rest is friends and digging, crafting and construction and exploration.

Do you want to work and explore in someone's basement or play the real thing. The choice is clear: WurmOnline !

That is my feeling as well, but kindly accept that this is your personal feeling, as it widely is mine too. There are many good reasons to fancy WU, either on the own box, or on a server run by others. A personal WU may even serve as a testing ground for own works on WO (as Malena does, having cloned Misty Rock Mountain to her WU server).

So I would refrain from confrontation between valid choices.

Its better to play on a server run by a 12 year old or a drunk. At least its free :) Then when the server owner does something stupid, you don't feel bad for wasting subscription dollars.

Getting to know the original Wurm Online game, I think is a good start. It's free to start playing, and you can learn the basics, and get a feeling for the game. If you enjoy the game, try out with a subscription and start a deed. After some time on Wurm Online, perhaps a few months, you will know what the game is about. On Wurm Unlimited, every server is very different from every other server, I think it may be good to learn the original game therefore. However, many players prefer WU just because it is different, and because of the different game play it offers.

9 hours ago, conmcb25 said:

Its better to play on a server run by a 12 year old or a drunk. At least its free :) Then when the server owner does something stupid, you don't feel bad for wasting subscription dollars.

As far as Iearnt, it is not free. It requires you to open an account on steam, and buy a copy of Wurm Unlimited in order to be able just to have a look. Granted that is not the world, 27.95€ once and forever. On the other hand, one can start WO without a cent expended, and may even prem for a month if you manage to get 2 silver ingame.