Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

New Gamer Tries Wurm Online for the First Time

I just noticed this video on Youtube, uploaded just 2 days ago.  Wow, it was fun to watch someone new to Wurm try out the game.

• Like 14

Lol, he tells how he watched one of Malenas first clips, can totally recognise it :)

(Still watching this guys clip)

• Like 1

Omg, I didnt know there exist people with so much patience to actually read tutorial texts.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, griper said:

Omg, I didnt know there exist people with so much patience to actually read tutorial texts.

lol, I was finding myself saying, "Oh, man, you need to read that paragraph" about the time he closed the window...

• Like 1

Nice set of vids. Very well done.  I watched the ones he posted after this one as well. (new one posted today where he finally made his own mine)  It's interesting to see it all from a newbie's perspective, and obviously someone who likes this kind of game.

It's also interesting to see some of the sticking points that new players experience & find mildly annoying. Just the little things.  One that struck me is he comments on how the tutorial window keeps popping back to the left every time he clicks to continue, and he has to keep moving it back where he wants it each time.  Something for the devs to consider, letting that window stay where the player puts it.

The other thing I really like about this guy's vids is that he keeps them under an hour. Most are around 30 (ish) minutes or less and he cuts out the most tedious and/or irrelevant parts while he's figuring something out.  I don't know about other people, but when I'm looking at vids of a game I'm thinking about trying, I'm looking for an overview of the game and I almost never click on the really long ones and when I do I generally skip through most of them.  I noticed that most Wurm videos tend to be hours long (except some of the WU vids).  When looking at a new (to me) game, I tend to click on the shortest ones first.

(No offense to those who make the long vids. I think those vids are great for people who already know what Wurm is about.  It's nice to see some short ones for those who are just window-shopping, so to speak)

• Like 3

This is so awesome, I feel like I could be friends with this guy if I were ever to meet him.  He seems laid back, calm, and real.

• Like 2

Loved the tutorials, really brings to life the new player experience. The only other thing Id say is REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR, seeing that 73 dmg on his pick and still mining with it frustrated me 😜

• Like 6

I just got caught up. love how he broke the tutorial and needed to redo an action because it didnt register he had completed a task. good insight into how confused a new player can be when thrown into the game. Also love how he immediately picked Xan then ran into the mob swarm that is the Northern 20% of the server. A good series so far and I think he does a great job of voicing the draw many of us have to wanting an untouched area to mold.

• Like 4

I have to agree, despite the low number of players, new servers are great fun, much more fun than picking through other players ruins....imo anyway

• Like 2

I feel a bit vindicated in my criticism of the new player experience, that overeager dumping of new players in heavily built areas, compared to the (imperfect) experience of server-wide poverty and desperation on the old Golden Valley server.

Opening virgin servers all the time, while an obvious solution, brings problems down the line with the mid-late game population being separated from each other a degree too far. We should try and think of an alternative.

In the intro to one of his subsequent videos he says "I expected to head out into the wilderness ... what I found was the medieval version of London...". What's sad is he is prime Wurm material, a builder at heart. I hope he overcomes his disillusion and sticks it out.

• Like 4

Yeah, I never felt it was optimal to move tutorial to a server as developed as Inde, but at least Bob here found his way to the portal and changed server.:)

I had a half-baked idea watching these videos, it might have scratched that itch Bob has.

The "Shipwrecked" optional new player tutorial:

You are the survivor of a shipwreck. You wash up on a tiny little untouched island. Using the much improved tutorial system we have already our new player is guided through the usual wurm stuff, but also, opening a tunnel, building a forge, building a small 2x2 wooden shack, building an oven, making a well, learning to cook something vaguely nutritious etc. Finally you guide them through building a rowboat, after which the tutorial ends when they sail from the island back to "civilisation" - the freedom servers.

• Like 8

I was inspired to try Wurm after watching one of Malena's videos as well. The old tutorial was daunting, however, and I gave up midway through. I decided to give it another try a year later, and am so glad I did as it has become my all time favorite game.

• Like 7

A wonderful series of videos by this new player to the game presented in a pleasant manner of discovery and enjoyment of the whole process. So many wrong choices made had taken him in the wrong direction from which he would have preferred. Clearly we can see this as experienced players but the game is really about learning over time to be able to make decisions more beneficial to our progress. Yet he preferred to go out on his own on this journey of discovery and accepted what would come along the way. That is the great thing about our fond game of Wurm, so many options open of directions to travel to fit each individuals desires and personalities.

I hope that Bob(?) will continue to enjoy the game and find his home within it, be it near or far from the present moments passing. This open sharing of his experience is a very positive asset to the game, as well of course as the player himself. Hopefully we shall see more of his vids that bring us memories back to our own early days and enlighten other new players experiences as well.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 4

Haha this is great! Always nice to see there are still people coming to the game. I like the way he explains things, his patience and his reaction to stuff.. “Timbeeeerr” :D

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 2:48 PM, Czar said:

I had a half-baked idea watching these videos, it might have scratched that itch Bob has.

The "Shipwrecked" optional new player tutorial:

You are the survivor of a shipwreck. You wash up on a tiny little untouched island. Using the much improved tutorial system we have already our new player is guided through the usual wurm stuff, but also, opening a tunnel, building a forge, building a small 2x2 wooden shack, building an oven, making a well, learning to cook something vaguely nutritious etc. Finally you guide them through building a rowboat, after which the tutorial ends when they sail from the island back to "civilisation" - the freedom servers.

Good idea, but this all may be a lot to chew through in what should merely be an intro sequence. Perhaps they could land upon an emergency shelter of a previous shipwrecked (who didn't make it because his strategy was all over the place) with all the structures you mention, but unfinished. If the missing parts are chosen appropiately, it will still make you go through essential steps like preparing materials for your boat (making a keel section, pegs, etc.) without daunting the player with doing it from square 0 to finish.

Edited by Flubb

Sadly, our beloved game was not able to keep a grip on (I will call him Bob).  He has veered over to EQ (worse graphics than Wurm) and Star Citizen (much better graphics).  Will he return?  The more important question is, why did he not stay? He might be back, but if you watch all the videos (I have) you can listen to some of his critiques of Wurm and learn some things about the newbie experience that really should be addressed by the devs.  Here are some of my observations and suggestions from what I heard.

1.  When a new player chooses the portal after the tutorial, give them an option to arrive at the starter town of a map, but also give them another option to be spawned at a random location out in the middle of nowhere - something Bob really wanted to experience.  The same code that determined a safe spot for the rifts of old might be good to use for locating a landing spot for a new player that wants to be a survivalist.

2.  I think we veterans forget just how ridiculously long those newbie timers are.  Bob mentioned the lengthy timers many times in his videos.  Even though I tried to let him know in the comments that timers get shorter over time, I don't think he appreciated something he would not see for many months of game play.  I think the baseline action timers in Wurm need to be at least 1/2 of what they are now with the fastest timers remaining as they are.  Let's be honest, the return-on-investment for a new player in Wurm is pathetic to say the least.  It took him 2-3 hours to mine just a few tiles.  Come on, really?  That worked in 2006 when the appearance of 3D was awe-inspiring, but it doesn't work today.

I actually think that's about it.  The devs have done a really good job with the newbie experience overall.  Except for the cost of Wurm (always a peeve of mine) there are just a few pain-points to address, especially before moving to Steam.

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 7
  • Cat 1

I watched all of his wurm videos. Was very entertaining. Of all the things I've done in Wurm the newbie experience is still one that I enjoy, and continue to do on alts from time to time.

He also spoke about how relaxing the game can be while mining and listening to Youtube on the side.

Seems he stopped playing after building his house. Of course his next step was to build a boat.

Could also be that these videos of his did not generate the traffic that he was looking for.

Anyway, I do hope he continues to play for his own enjoyment at some point.

• Like 3

Imagine if a member of the Wurm staff could spare a few seconds of their precious time and make a comment here like "we are listening".

• Cat 1

Wait what, he's gone? :blink:

That's surprising. I just assumed he'd stick around.

On 10/23/2019 at 11:04 AM, Eyesgood said:

Sadly, our beloved game was not able to keep a grip on (I will call him Bob)........  Will he return?

Yes, I noticed too. Quite disappointing is the lack of his quirky yet tolerant experiences being so soothingly presented.

On 10/23/2019 at 11:04 AM, Eyesgood said:

2.  I think we veterans forget just how ridiculously long those newbie timers are.  Bob mentioned the lengthy timers many times in his videos.  Even though I tried to let him know in the comments that timers get shorter over time, I don't think he appreciated something he would not see for many months of game play.  I think the baseline action timers in Wurm need to be at least 1/2 of what they are now with the fastest timers remaining as they are.

Again I agree with you here. Few can tolerate this creepingly slow blue slug sneering at them as it passes before (under) their eyes in a promise of never ending torment should they make the valiant effort to defeat and deflate it's impact with hours/years of game play. There with nothing better to do with my time would I have been gone as well.....

=Ayes=

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

2 hours ago, Ayes said:

Yes, I noticed too. Quite disappointing is the lack of his quirky yet tolerant experiences being so soothingly presented.

Again I agree with you here. Few can tolerate this creepingly slow blue slug sneering at them as it passes before (under) their eyes in a promise of never ending torment should they make the valiant effort to defeat and deflate it's impact with hours/years of game play. There with nothing better to do with my time would I have been gone as well.....

=Ayes=

but if you mention decrese timers or/and imp exp rate, people start crying, insulting you or arguing about auto entitled things about the game

he needs to join a village. and play with others. solo is fun. but can get boring,  being part of a village or alliance is nice for just the chat while playing.  but the group projects and learning first hand with others just adds to the early experience that can help pull folks into the depths of this game.  i leave often but always come back for a while. every year.

very cool videos though and hope he comes back.  and i have to agree. the timers as a new player. omg.  i rolled a new one to test out the tutorial area.  once i finished. i /suicide my character.   

i know i'll be playing on the new steam server.  but after trying a new character. i'll have to alt tab, from there to  WO and grind both games, just not to drain on the slowness.  

He is gearing up to return for the new Steam server:

He's done a couple Wurm videos since Oct 2019, it may be that the sudden influx of veterans commenting over his shoulder and telling him what to do next, spooked him off a little ;)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 3