Sign in to follow this  
Fairyshine

Email a week before upkeep runs out

Please email a mayor the week before deed upkeep runs out.  Thanks.

• Like 18
  • Cat 1

Definitely +1   A simple email to the address of the mayor's account seems very reasonable.  Maybe an option in our character's profile to enable/disable for those on the fence.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 7

Im still wondering why this isnt even a thing yet :( +1 for sure

• Like 1

-1 , or, you could, idk... play the game? and if you dont, not have a deed? simple

2 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

-1 , or, you could, idk... play the game? and if you dont, not have a deed? simple

People do play the game.  The game requires ONE mayor per deed.  People may have different deeds with sleeping mayors.  It has happened numerous times that a deed disbanded due to this and it would actually make business sense to let people know they have the option to renew before the whole deed is gone and they perhaps decide to, idk...go play another game?

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 3

+1 i have deeds on multiple servers  so I cant always be around to check upkeep.

• Like 2

If the persons deed disbands. There goes a decent chance of them coming back.

Edited by Wiolo
  • Like 4

+1

Last time I stopped, I stopped for five years because I logged in a couple of weeks too late to save my deed and it had been emptied. An email would've made it easy to put more money in until I was able to come back to it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, crimsonearth said:

+1

Last time I stopped, I stopped for five years because I logged in a couple of weeks too late to save my deed and it had been emptied. An email would've made it easy to put more money in until I was able to come back to it.

A simple email notification should be standard.

"Dear Mayor, this letter is to inform you that your taxes are due within the week. Failure to comply will result in your deed being reclaimed by the crown. Signed. - The King." lol. Or something of that nature.

This disbanding and looting thing happened to me TWICE the past few years.

Each time I was late by a week or so, walls were low ql (because they were on deed, who cares, right?) buildings fell and everything I'd gathered for years that wasn't bolted down was looted the second it was able to be looted.

Then all the livestock was stolen or killed, because you know, that's how people roll. People loot stuff down the the nubbins, not even leaving you a few seeds in your FSBs to replant your crops. And it's never newer players. It's always people who have so much stuff they don't know what to do with it that are scoping out your deed the moment it falls. Gotta add to the packrat hoard and junk they don't need into their warehouses after all. ;)

Anyway, this is a long way of saying that upon logging back in and finding my deed looted to the bones the immediate response was **** it. Usually a year or so passed before I cared enough to try to rebuild.

So yea, this pushes people away. Many, many people I've talked to that I've played with said the same thing. "Yea, I logged in and my deed had fallen and was looted, so I just logged back out."

• Like 3

YES and yes.. 

+1

Email them 4, 2 and 1 week before upkeep runs out.. leave a link to change settings and turn off mail notification but keep it ON by default

WHY?

- better safe than sorry

• Like 1

+1

Would reduce some drama, so it’s quite important. 

• Like 3

yeah..  absolutely needed, we're all silly for not suggesting it sooner. I know i've been caught out but back then one good player pm'd me about the fall within a week.
That was very, very, very lucky. (I keep a huge upkeep thesedays but i feel for others)

+1

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

+1

If you can see the business sense of emailing before a character's premium runs out, and you already follow the practice, surely it makes equal sense for deeds. 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 6:27 AM, Fairyshine said:

People do play the game.  The game requires ONE mayor per deed.  People may have different deeds with sleeping mayors.  It has happened numerous times that a deed disbanded due to this and it would actually make business sense to let people know they have the option to renew before the whole deed is gone and they perhaps decide to, idk...go play another game?

This and some of us are paying upkeep but not playing because of the massive amount of work that's gone into the deed coupled with the hope maybe things will change in the future. With the current bugs, toxic cliques, pvp death, lack of content and steam release soon, I wonder if its worth it.

Anyways, +1

Personally I keep reminders on my phone and post-it notes.

• Like 1

I've asked about this before, and the answer I was given is that deeds aren't currently connected to the email system as that goes through the login server.

Adding every deed of every server to work through the login server would be a massive undertaking, and at this point we have more QoL features and polish on our plate that needs our focus. 

You can set your village twitter up that will give you notices of low upkeep, and you can tie multiple villages to one feed. 

It's not the best solution, but until the time we're able to address this in any longstanding manner it's one that will work

Thanks Retro, although I personally think this response shows that somewhere the actual needs of the clients for a MASSIVE QoL feature is lost in favour of other stuff we most likely don't really need this urgently.  Also, where can I find the step by step thing for twitter.  I don't actually use Twitter at the moment, in fact never have for any online game.   If this can't be done via the game itself, at least show me with very simple and noob friendly document how to achieve this.

Thanks.

There's a lot of qol that's needed, and we do agree this is something that will help. We have discussed possibilities in addressing this and will be looking at seeing if they work 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

Thanks Retro, although I personally think this response shows that somewhere the actual needs of the clients for a MASSIVE QoL feature is lost in favour of other stuff we most likely don't really need this urgently.  Also, where can I find the step by step thing for twitter.  I don't actually use Twitter at the moment, in fact never have for any online game.   If this can't be done via the game itself, at least show me with very simple and noob friendly document how to achieve this.

Thanks.

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Twitter

• Like 2